PDA

View Full Version : celtic knotwork- in fairy tale pics!

mothwench
November 17th, 2003, 10:17 AM
this is the start of a project called: fairy tale book illustrations for my neice meme. she is two-and-a-half, and hopefully the book will be finished by the time she is six. ;) i want to try and keep the knotwork theme thoughout the book.
here's one i finished last night: for the last unicorn.
currently working on little red riding hood and sleeping beauty.

arrgh. it's a tif file. i'll have to change it , and i'll edit it in later. :rolleyes:

shiloki
November 18th, 2003, 10:12 PM
very cool! i love unicorns and i love celtic knot designs!...i'm currently working on combing the celtic knot which some asian (specifically japanese) art styles...two of my favorites...should be interesting...keep 'em comin'!!

Rockprincess
November 18th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Wow mothwench...that is incredible!

If you ever finish that book...you should consider publishing it. I would LOVE to buy a copy!

door
November 18th, 2003, 10:40 PM
I'm intrigued by your use of the celtic knot theme, especially when I consider the other fairy tales you are illustrating. I have always wanted to do a fairy tale anthology and use sparing but beautiful prints. Sometimes it works to just give one picture and let the imagination do the rest.

Is your medium strictly computer based? or is it mixed? What programs are you using? It would be nice to have a color illustration plate at the beginning of each story and then bind them with your favorite piece as the cover.

very cool, thanks for sharing.

-door

~*Ginger*~
November 18th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Absolutely Stunning work!

beachdrifta
November 19th, 2003, 12:42 AM
oooh that is beautiful :) two of my favorite things....celtic knots and unicorns :) i love fantasy :D

IvyCeltress
November 19th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Celtic knotwork and viney stuff, my fav motifs!. I love it. I hope you do more!

mothwench
November 19th, 2003, 06:28 PM
viney stuff! :lol: love it...
here's a twiggy one. for lil red riding hood... the writing is just nonsense, i'd put in one of grandmother's quotes about the forest, but i have to look for one.
btw, i'm a bit worried about copyrights on this one. it was inspired by jen dyleth's tree of life. but then again someone else submitted a MW logo that was an exact copy of the image, and there seemed to be no problems there... so here it is, my tree of life forest:

oh, the black and white one is the ink on paper drawing i did about a year ago and then sort of forgot about, hehe... :rolleyes:

mothwench
November 19th, 2003, 06:41 PM
I'm intrigued by your use of the celtic knot theme, especially when I consider the other fairy tales you are illustrating. I have always wanted to do a fairy tale anthology and use sparing but beautiful prints. Sometimes it works to just give one picture and let the imagination do the rest.

Is your medium strictly computer based? or is it mixed? What programs are you using? It would be nice to have a color illustration plate at the beginning of each story and then bind them with your favorite piece as the cover.

very cool, thanks for sharing.

-door

thanks for all the pats on the back, feels nice. :)
to answer your questions, no, i draw the stuff first, and do the coloring on the computer. i can't draw with a mouse or one of those pens, it just doesn't feel right. up until recently i dint even do any coloring on the computer, but then i took some time to figure out my picture publisher program (part of micrografx suite) and now i'm back in my coloring book phase...:T
actually i miss having loads of pots of paint and huge canvasses and the smell of turps around me, but our flat is too small to be doing any of that, but eventually we'll get a bigger place. til then, pencils, ink and the computer are pretty much my only mediums.
and yeah, that's what i was thinking... one for each story, and i want to take care not to show too much, like i.e. the characters, i think that should be left to the imagination. and then worry about the cover when they're all done.
so, which one am i going to do when sleeping beauty's done i wonder? maybe hansel and gretel, a gingerbread house would be alot of fun...

mothwench
November 19th, 2003, 07:01 PM
very cool! i love unicorns and i love celtic knot designs!...i'm currently working on combing the celtic knot which some asian (specifically japanese) art styles...two of my favorites...should be interesting...keep 'em comin'!!

hey, wanna post some of that? that sounds well interesting... btw, are you (partly?) asian? i ask bcause of your name, and also the pic you submitted in member pics looks like you might have some in you... ?

IvyCeltress
November 20th, 2003, 12:07 PM
I love how the roots are all celtic knotwork in your last one. BTW are you selling your work at wall art?

Ivy Celtress may need to get herself a Yule present.

mothwench
November 20th, 2003, 01:28 PM
:huh: wall art? vott iz ziss?

~*Ginger*~
November 20th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Ya know when I first saw this (http://mysticwicks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13261), I thought....

ooooh, that would make beautiful wall paper border.

mothwench
November 20th, 2003, 03:45 PM
ya know, i was planning on painting that on my bedroom walls as a border... just don't have the time... so what's this wall art thang ivyceltress mentioned?

IvyCeltress
November 20th, 2003, 04:47 PM
I love how the roots are all celtic knotwork in your last one. BTW are you selling your work at wall art?

Ivy Celtress may need to get herself a Yule present.

Printed so you can frame it and hang it on a wall as opposed to being in a book.

~*Ginger*~
November 20th, 2003, 04:55 PM
wall art thang a.k.a.framed pictures!

LOL!!!

mothwench
November 21st, 2003, 01:28 PM
:idea: duh!!! :rollingla
i thought it was something like sketchforums but for interior design stuff... :rotfl: you know an internet thingy... oh well...
:crown: :nonono: :veryweird :smash: :elf: :2G: :seehearsp :falloffch :kooky: :T :goodgrief :fpartyhat :nyah: :nonono: :crown:

mothwench
November 27th, 2003, 03:59 AM
here's sleeping beauty, tho you can't see her, she's hidden in the castle :p
hope you like it, it also makes a good border btw for black and white portrait photos.

~*Ginger*~
November 27th, 2003, 09:46 AM
mothwench, these are gorgeous!
These are so much better than some of the pictures in published books, imo.
If you do decide to publish your book, let me know.
I love to read, I have collected books for awhile for myself.
When my first was born, I started collecting good books for my children.
There are some they have everyday access to and some that we read and put back up (you know kids, sometimes they like to add their own graphics) :lol:

I think this book your working on is gonna be something really special, your niece is very lucky to have such a talented, and sweet aunt.

We'd love to have one as well! ;)

mothwench
November 27th, 2003, 03:33 PM
i'll let you know... but i'll be a long time... door has kindly pm-ed me some links to get me into the book illustration trade, so i'll be looking into that in my spare time.
and it'll be a while before i post more pics, cause those were the ones i had already drawn on paper with ink a couple of months back. i just decided to colour them recently when i became friends with my grafx program. so now it's back to the drawing board.
thanks for the confidence boost!

aefentid
November 27th, 2003, 04:46 PM
[
actually i miss having loads of pots of paint and huge canvasses and the smell of turps around me, but our flat is too small to be doing any of that, but eventually we'll get a bigger place. til then, pencils, ink and the computer are pretty much my only mediums.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I love painting but with small children who love getting into everything it's impossible to paint right now. Have you tried your hand at pastels, that's what I've switched to. They're a little messy but they do take up less space and they are a great once you get the hang of them.

mothwench
November 29th, 2003, 09:13 AM
pastels... *goes into uncontrolable spasms of grossed-outness*
no, seriously, i love them, but i hate them. they are really good to work with, and pastel pics can look oh so cool, but i ... can't... touch... them. :twitch: . they make my toes curl. i know this is weird. i can't help it. my shrink is very intrigued by this. i get this with certain types of bed linen, certain types of drinking glasses, styrofoam and chalk. and pastels.
ah, ye think i'm a right loon now, dontcha? :kooky:

aefentid
November 29th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Nope I don't think you're a loon at all :lol:. I don't have any art related phobias, although smooth thin paper drives me mad, but I do suffer from severe potato fear. Just the sight of any sort of potato is enough to give me cold sweats and make me horribly queasy :) .

Rockprincess
January 8th, 2004, 02:40 PM
I was thinking about this post today! I'm so glad I found it!

I was wondering if you'd be willing to do a commission for me. I'm willing to pay a resonable fee. I actually thought of contacting the artist at Aon Celtic Art (http://www.aon-celtic.com/cknotworkmeanings.html (http://www.aon-celtic.com/cknotworkmeanings.html)) because she does gorgeous work, but I can't really afford her fees.

Then I remembered your beautiful drawings for your neice, and thought perhaps you could help!

Someone mentioned this quote this morning:
Extract from Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières:

Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides.
And when it subsides you have to make a decision.
You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together
that it is inconceivable that you should ever part.
Because this is what love is.
Love is not breathlessness,
it is not excitement,
it is not the promises of eternal passion.
That is just being "in love", which any fool can do.
Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away,
and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.
Those that truly love, have roots that grow towards each other underground,
and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches,
they find that they are one tree and not two.

And I thought - That's PERFECT! That's me and my fiance exactly!!! So I wanted to have someone draw or paint us two trees with intertwining roots, with our initials (É and S) on each tree. I specifically thought of this tree: http://www.aon-celtic.com/cgallery/cgallery7.html , and then a few minutes later i remembered your tree of life forest, and thought that would be better, as the roots are actual celtic knots - although I would prefer the branches to look like actual branches.

So...what do you think? Could you/Would you be interested in doing something like that? We can talk prices etc. on PMs, if you want.:colorful:

mothwench
January 8th, 2004, 03:37 PM
:foh: you serious? :boing:
sure, if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for it (well, depending on how big it is and what you want, might take a lot less)... i've just started a new full-time job (agency work :sick: ) and my time is limited to weekends. and also, if you want it on canvas, bear in mind that it needs to be shipped overseas from europe. i'll have a think and i'll suggest a friendly pagan price tomorrow. :colorful:

mothwench
January 8th, 2004, 03:41 PM
okies, i had another quick read through your request... do you want the initials morphed into the branches or sort of carved in the trunks?
and what medium? canvas, board, or even digital? :huh:

edited to add: i'm trying my hand at guilding (gold-leaf stuff) this weekend, which you might be interested in... i'll tell you if i'm any good at it. :lol:

edited again:
some more questions: what shape do you want the overall picture to be... round or square?
and, lemme guess... you want me to leave enough space in between the trunks to fit in the poem, right?

Rockprincess
January 9th, 2004, 12:15 PM
okies, i had another quick read through your request... do you want the initials morphed into the branches or sort of carved in the trunks?
and what medium? canvas, board, or even digital? :huh:

edited to add: i'm trying my hand at guilding (gold-leaf stuff) this weekend, which you might be interested in... i'll tell you if i'm any good at it. :lol:

edited again:
some more questions: what shape do you want the overall picture to be... round or square?
and, lemme guess... you want me to leave enough space in between the trunks to fit in the poem, right?
Now I hadn't even thought of including the poem! I'll have to think about that! Actually, I hadn't thought about any of your questions. I'm a physical-art no-mind :lol: I got 64% in grade 7 art, and have left it in the hands of those better suited ever since!

As to the initials...I hadn't thought about morphing them into the branches - if you can do that so it looks nice, that would be awesome. Otherwise, having them seem to be a natural part of the trunk would be good ;)

Ok, thinking about the poem some more...I think perhaps I'd rather have it written on caligraphy on a separate piece of paper from the picture itself. Then I could put it in a frame with two separate matte openings or something.

Do tell me how it goes with the gold leaf! I thought the acorns were so pretty on that other piece.

Ok...timeline. Well, my wedding is on Beltaine, so less than 4 months away (eeeeeee!!!!!!), but it might be nicer to have it when we get back, as there will be so much happening before hand anyway. So really, any time in the next 5 or 6 months would be great!

Shape...I was thinking square...:lol: ...but if you thing round would be better, go for it :colorful:

Umm...medium...what do you think would be best? I was thinking paper, but only because that other one from the Aon page was on paper. It's really up to you, you're the artist ;)

Ok, that's almost it :lol: Except for the price! It's sweet that you'll give me a "pagan friendly" price, but I don't want you to short-change yourself. I do chip-carving, and I know how much time and love goes into the pieces I make, and I'm sure it's the same with the art you do. So I wouldn't want you to put time into this and then feel like you weren't properly compensated. :huddle:

mothwench
January 9th, 2004, 07:40 PM
rockprincess, check your pm's :elf:

Rockprincess
January 11th, 2004, 03:16 PM
rockprincess, check your pm's :elf:
Yes ma'am :lol:

mothwench
January 23rd, 2004, 03:53 PM
hey, rockprincess, are there any trees you're particularly fond of? oak, willow, anything like that?

mucgwyrt
July 18th, 2005, 06:35 AM
hey, rockprincess, are there any trees you're particularly fond of? oak, willow, anything like that?
so where's the finished pic? :whatgives you got us all excited mothy, and then left us hanging! :rolleyes:

mothwench
July 18th, 2005, 08:01 AM
it's a private rock princess-y wedding thing. i don't know if she wants her pic made public. but i think i did pm it to you, just to ask your opinion... but it was aaaaaaages ago.

you necromancer! :p

mucgwyrt
July 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM
it's a private rock princess-y wedding thing. i don't know if she wants her pic made public. but i think i did pm it to you, just to ask your opinion... but it was aaaaaaages ago.

you necromancer! :p
ah yes, I remember it (I have such a bad memory). I thought it was another picture we just didn't see :nyah: ;)

_wiz_

mothwench
July 18th, 2005, 08:13 AM
you know... i've still not made finished works out of any of these. i should, really. they started out as paper sketches, then scanned in, and then photoshopped. i should do some watercolour work with them, or something.
still stuck on my tree spirits, though. *sigh* and all i've got there so far is a coloured pencil sketch of "birch babe" ;) .
she's supposed to symbolize conception, pregnancy, and birth all at the same time. i'll take a picture today and post it. :steppy:

mucgwyrt
July 18th, 2005, 08:21 AM
you know... i've still not made finished works out of any of these. i should, really. they started out as paper sketches, then scanned in, and then photoshopped. i should do some watercolour work with them, or something.
still stuck on my tree spirits, though. *sigh* and all i've got there so far is a coloured pencil sketch of "birch babe" ;) .
she's supposed to symbolize conception, pregnancy, and birth all at the same time. i'll take a picture today and post it. :steppy:
do :) It can be my turn to help :nyah: :fpompoms

mothwench
July 18th, 2005, 09:19 AM
i've just taken a picture of it, and i'll pm it to you for fear of it not being pg 13 enough for this board. *ahem* :bigredblu

mucgwyrt
July 18th, 2005, 11:40 AM
...yes, it's a bit pg... ;)