PDA

View Full Version : To keep a kitten content?

RubyRose
November 22nd, 2003, 07:37 AM
Okay I have a new little kitten (7 weeks old) and I realise that they demand a lot of attention, though I didn't realise just how much.

She likes being around people, and likes having time to run around. Though if I hold her for a period of time, she wants to go off, on her own, and right now, it's not really an option, as we have a dog. I have her in my sister's room, with the door shut, so she's got the freedom to run around and stuff, but once she realises she is alone, she cries for attention.

We're looking into getting some more toys and stuff. Though when we got her, she had a dozen other kitties in with her (pet shop) so could it be that she's missing them!?

Thanks in advance.

Bainidhe Dub
November 22nd, 2003, 09:33 AM
I know how ya feel.. Spook is around 8 weeks and a little terror lol. She loves attacking our oldest female and has no fear of her, even though Rascal is about ten times bigger than Spook. Our bassets love Spook, unfortunately when Spook runs to play, they run after her. This means if we don't catch the dogs, it'll be a squished Spook.

So during the day, while we put the dogs either outside or in their room (where they stay when not supervised), we allow Spook to run and play with the other cats. At night, Spook goes up stairs, where she's free to roam, as long as the door going upstairs is shut (our house used to be two apartments, so this has worked to our advantage).

Spook used to cry too when we put her in her room alone, so we shut Merlin (her big "brother") in with her (which made him a little peeved lol) - then we got a baby gate. Keeps the dogs on one side, and Spook on the other (as she's too small yet to climb it still). The baby gate's been a big help - I highly suggest getting one, especially if you're not able to shut your kitten up in a larger space (such as the upstairs).

Just some suggestions - I hope it helps :) and good luck with Kitty :)

*GrumpButt*
November 22nd, 2003, 11:34 AM
YOu can bet your bonnet that she misses her friends from where you got her..

ONce you get her toys I would suggest that you get your scent on at least one of them, rub them somewhere. (I used to do it beneath my breasts, it seemed to work better there.) And when you go away, put the toys in with the ki-ki!
Leave some music playing, or the tv.

veinglory
November 22nd, 2003, 12:31 PM
How is the dog an obstacle to letting the kitten roam? I have kept dogs and kittens together and never experienced any difficulty.

The kitten requires social contact throughout most of the day -- if not with a human then perhaps with another cat?

Mau
November 22nd, 2003, 01:02 PM
Yeah..I can't see keeping her in a room by herself as anything but detrimental to her development and behavior. The dog and cat are going to have to get used to eachother eventually..get them started. Either buy a cat carrier, or a dog crate. Keep one in whichever, and let them get to know eachother through the bars (this will be easier with the dog crate as cats simply hate the carriers). Then you move to step 2. Put the dog on a leash (keep it short) and let the cat roam freely around the house. Let the dog approach the cat, but immediately correct any bad behavior towards the cat. On the flip side..praise the dog to all hell and back for being 'nice' to the kitty, whether physically, with treats..or both. They must learn to co-exist, the quicker the better. Keeping them seaparate is just going to cause more problems later on. The cat can't stay in one room forever.

RubyRose
November 23rd, 2003, 06:43 AM
I realise that dog and cat are going to have to get to know and like eachother, but we still have to get a lead (I was hoping to introduce both, while on leads) ... crud just realised that I could makes a lead for the cat out of rope or something akin to that for the time being and hook it to her collar. Anyway, I don't really have the time, until Tuesday to properly start to introduce them, but I plan too.

We have a cat carrier, so if I let the dog loose, while the cat is in the carrier, then move on to phase two ...(lead) we should make process ... as I said before, time is of the essence right now.

And also never having a cat in my life, I'm kinda clueless as how it works when introducing other pets ... thanks guys, you've been a big help.

boerbabe
November 23rd, 2003, 07:00 AM
This is what I do when I bring a new kitty in...

First, if it is very young, I put food, water, and litte rin my bathroom. No animal wants to poop and eat int eh same spot, so they learn fast where to do what!

Once that's figured out, can take up to a week, I move them and all their things to my room. This becomes a safe haven for them. Any attention they recieve in that room is positive. If they are bad, I ignore them.

I go in often and pet and love on them, let them climb on me, chew on me, whatever.

After a few days they start crying to come out when you leave them alone. When they respond and come when called, then I let them roam the house attended.

After I know they can be trusted (about a month) they are granted "free rein" of the house.

This has worked with all my babies, though i can't say much on the toys part- most of them haven't had moch interest in toys. I do have a small kitty condo, and those crumpley balls that jiggle across the floor.

They love ping pong balls, but they are noisey at night!

boerbabe
November 23rd, 2003, 07:01 AM
Introductions- slowly, carefully, and use caution. :)
If anyone tries to eat or scare the other draw back, but they should be fine, most are.

RubyRose
November 23rd, 2003, 07:13 AM
Thanks.

Kalika
November 23rd, 2003, 11:08 PM
They cry because they're in a new place.... she'll be ok. :)

It just takes some getting used to, her being alone and in a big space by herself. Spend as much time with her as she can... as the first days and weeks are great bonding time.

Try putting a mirror in there with her, so that she can look at herself, and she may think its another kitten and "play" with it. My cats love mirrors, and its hilarious.

Aren't they sweet though? :lol: Cats can be very independent, and will only take so much cuddling, but they're fun, and sweet, and a great comfort I think.

Blessings,

Kalika

RubyRose
November 26th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks. Yeah, we spend a lot of time with her during the day, but it's when about 7 in the evening rolls around, and dinner is over with that we just want to settle down and watch tv that she begins to cry.

Because of the dog, and our scedules at the moment, it's a bit hard to start to properly introduce them. My mother tries, but she's going about the process all wrong.

WandererInGray
November 26th, 2003, 01:39 PM
How is the dog an obstacle to letting the kitten roam? I have kept dogs and kittens together and never experienced any difficulty.

Dog and new kittens should be separated when you're not home or not paying attention to them. It can be really dangerous sometimes. Especially at feeding time for dogs, even the sweetest dog can get angry and kill a kitten if it gets too close to the food dish.

It does sound like she's a little lonely. But she'll get used to it, don't rescue her all the time or you won't ever be able to shut her up without her crying.

RubyRose
November 28th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Dog and new kittens should be separated when you're not home or not paying attention to them. It can be really dangerous sometimes. Especially at feeding time for dogs, even the sweetest dog can get angry and kill a kitten if it gets too close to the food dish.

It does sound like she's a little lonely. But she'll get used to it, don't rescue her all the time or you won't ever be able to shut her up without her crying.

Thanks. I think I'm a tad guilty for not wanting to hear her cry too, I'll have to curb that instinct of wanting to pick her up, to stop her crying ... but slowly she's getting better, and doesn't cry as much as she did the first few nights.

veinglory
November 28th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Dog and new kittens should be separated when you're not home or not paying attention to them. It can be really dangerous sometimes. Especially at feeding time for dogs, even the sweetest dog can get angry and kill a kitten if it gets too close to the food dish..

I disagree. After the kitten is 6 weeks or so and the if the dogs is reasonably well trained I have found no problems with leaving them alone all day and night. A dog like mine (border collie) is deeply unlikely to mawl a kitten even if not well trained. This is not true of all dogs of course. It's a case by case thing. But if I couldn't leave the dog alone with the cat I probably wouldn't get a cat -- it's hard to give pets enough time, without having to do it in shifts.

moondancer45
November 28th, 2003, 11:00 AM
I have had kittens/cats all my life. I have found that 2 are better than 1. I have 2 that are 5 months old and they are inseparable. They are fun to watch. If you have a busy schedule, it would ease up on the quality time you would need to put in with just the one. I also have notice over the years, that their personality traits are quite different when your raising multiple kittens versus one.

RubyRose
November 30th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Thanks guys, well we've made the leap, supervised though, and both Kitten and Dog are fine, though Luna (kitten) likes to taunt and tease our Dog (he's a Kelpie x Lab btw) but so far no damage has been done to either.

Kalika
November 30th, 2003, 07:26 PM
:lol:

That's great! Glad to hear things have gone ok so far... it takes my cat 3 days to get used to any other animal.... 3 days of growling, hissing, batting.... then he's fine. Like none of it ever happened and they are best friends in the world.

Aren't they great? :p

Blessings,

Kalika

RubyRose
December 1st, 2003, 07:22 AM
Yeah ... it is ... though I think our Dog, could be a little more relaxed around the kitten though ...

zakzekezedd
December 2nd, 2003, 04:09 AM
Just remember..a big dog can hurt (very unintentionally) a very small kitten. I always put a baby gate up so the kitty had a room it could get in away from the dog. Of course, the little stinkers would delight in taunting the dog..but at least they wouldn't get hurt by an accidental swat from a big dog foot either.

Starry Di
December 8th, 2003, 08:22 PM
You want a cheap toy? Take a peice of paper, crumble it up into a ball and throw it. Should keep her entertained for hours so long as she doesn't lose it under something.