PDA

View Full Version : My Cat is Driving me Insane

Teshuva3D
November 22nd, 2003, 09:16 AM
This sounds like a pretty trivial problem compared to the other's troubles in here..but I'm at the end of my rope. I have a pretty little two year old cat..she's dainty,adorable,AND DRIVING ME @#$%%^ NUTS!!! ( the behavior i'm referring to here started just in the past month or so)
Here's the prob: I go to bed at the same time every night..regardless if it's a work night or not.. but for some reason my cat keeps me up ALL FREAKING NIGHT LONG on work nights only. You heard it folks,she is as quiet as a mouse on nights when i don't have to go to work the next day..but on work nights she spends the whole damn night meowing, getting into things,attacking my extremities...to summarize she makes certain my sleep is broken and useless as cooking soup in sieve...I live in an extremely small one bedroom apartment..if i shut her up in the front room of my apt...she meows her butt off at the bedroom door..if i shut her in the bedroom with me..she meows her butt off to get out..I also have a kid who has to get her sleep for school..so i spend my WORK NIGHTS ONLY getting up repeatedly to shut the cat the hell up... remember,i go to bed at the same time every night,whether i have the next day off from work or not..so it's not like the cat is disturbed by a change in my nightly routine..I've talked to my vet,and short of drugging the little wretch nightly..his suggestions were pretty useless,or ones i've already tried.I'm really upset about this because i still love the little brat and so does my kid...but if i can't correct this problem i'm going to have to get rid of her...because the only nights she lets me sleep are the nights i don't have to go to work the next day....and considering i work TWO JOBS,and usually six days a week...
I'm beginning to go loopy..AND YES I'VE LET HER KNOW MY EXTREME DISPLEASURE ...VERY MUCH SO!!!!!!In fact,although i'm ashamed to say it...my daughter had to grab the cat and keep me away from her this very morning because I totally lost my temper...I wanted to shut her up in the closet or worse...SO PLEASE..any ideas or suggestions,NO MATTER HOW STRANGE...would be more than welcome...thanks. I'm really go nutso here and am willing to try anything.

Witchzee1
November 22nd, 2003, 09:33 AM
Whew! Tough problem. I can imagine how frustrated you are!

Have you tried maybe turning the stereo on or something? I have a bird that screams and sometimes that works. Some soft type of music maybe???

:hugz:

Are her water and food bowls full?

It's very strange that she "knows" your schedule like that unless there is something you do on the nights you don't have to work that you're not realizing you do. Not necessarily what time you go to bed but something else. You know like maybe clean the cat box, or read, or take a bath, shrugs, who knows but maybe there's something that tells her that you will be home with her the next day so she doesn't feel like she has to have your attention through the night.

Good luck! I hope you can figure it out! Keep us posted!

Oh by the way, I discovered that oatmeal will work with my bird too. :lol:

Muireannach
November 22nd, 2003, 04:21 PM
Have you tried finding aroom in the house to put the cat in at night? perhaps a strict routine would settle it down, make it a little bed in there and shut the door, in the morning set it free, and don't react to any meowing, then it knows it is recieving pay-off for it's behaviour.

I hope my suggestion helps!
good luck and sleep well!

Xentor
November 23rd, 2003, 08:52 AM
It's not strange at all that it appears your cat knows your work schedule.

It may not know the schedule at all, but simply react to your emotional state. As dogs do, when in the car and you reach your destiny, they start barking and behaving restlessly, even if they never been there before. They just react to you. Even if you yourself don't notice the emotional change.

So, big question here, is there something going on at work you need to resolve? The cat might be picking that up.

By the way, I think this thread belongs in critter chat.

Epona44
November 23rd, 2003, 09:36 PM
Has she been spayed? This sounds like the sort of behavior one encounters with an unpspayed female cat.

Witchzee1
November 23rd, 2003, 09:56 PM
It's not strange at all that it appears your cat knows your work schedule.

It may not know the schedule at all, but simply react to your emotional state. As dogs do, when in the car and you reach your destiny, they start barking and behaving restlessly, even if they never been there before. They just react to you. Even if you yourself don't notice the emotional change.

So, big question here, is there something going on at work you need to resolve? The cat might be picking that up.

Wow! That's interesting! We forget that animals are very sensitive to their people you might be onto something there.

Witchzee1
November 23rd, 2003, 09:58 PM
Has she been spayed? This sounds like the sort of behavior one encounters with an unpspayed female cat.
Yeah, a unspayed cat can be very vocal. But if that's the case then why would she be quiet on the non work nights? :foh:

Epona44
November 23rd, 2003, 10:07 PM
Have you considered getting her a companion? Female cats can have a problem with new cats, but sometimes if you get a kitten, it attaches itself to the other cat and they can become friends. Cats are extremely sensitive to the routine of the house, and they can make the connection that certain activities mean you're going away for the day.

Hoot
November 24th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Yes, (((Teshuva3D))) it's a good bet that the Critter Chat posters will have lots of other good ideas to add to these, and they may not see your thread here.

I think Xentor's notion that she's picking up on your schedule through clues you're not even aware of sending out is probably correct. Particularly if you've been very busy with little time for her lately, then she may feel neglected and want your attention at times when it's not convenient for you, and in bothersome ways. As frustrating as this is, and as tired and angry as it's making you, if you are able to put those feelings aside in order to play with her more before going to bed, perhaps that could make a difference. Maybe it's as simple as that.

Epona asks a good question about spaying, though.

Sending some calming "hang in there" energy! I hope you all find the right answer soon.

WandererInGray
November 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM
*hugs* Here's what I can tell you, don't know if it will help.

I've had cats for so long, I just tell 'em to shut up and then roll over and go back to sleep.

This may sound odd, but maybe she thinks it is a game? I know it's hard, but try just ignoring her? Right now it sounds like she's got you conditioned to get up and see to her whenever she meows.

A question: is she just meowing? Or is she screaming "caterwauling" and sounding like she's being murdered? If it's the later then I'd second the spaying idea that others proposed.

At the moment your best bet is to either just let her roam free and ignore her. (which is hard I know, but eventually she should take the hint...and by eventually I'm talking a month or more for her to learn that you're no longer going to get up when she howls)
Or to lock her up in a room on the other side of the house with her litter box and food and don't let her out until morning, no matter how much she squalls.

Unfortunately for you, the bottom line here is there is no quick fix for this. From my (unprofessional) opinion, she's learned that if she screams, she'll get attention....they don't really care if it's bad or good. (By the way, are you paying enough attention to her during the week? She may be angry if you're gone all day at work and then come home - ignore her - and go to bed...it occurs to me that may explain why she only does it on weeknights)

Play with her, love on her while you're up. Even get your daughter to play with her so much she wears herself out. That may help a little.

But above all it sounds like you need to get a rein on your temper. *shakes head* You're letting a cat dictate your behavior, which isn't good both for you or your daughter, and it certainly sounds like it wouldn't be good for the cat in the long run. ;) Honestly, I'd say if you really can't handle it you may want to rethink why you got the cat in the first place.

boerbabe
November 24th, 2003, 03:57 PM
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2][COLOR=Teal]I had a female cat that while when she wa sin heat was tolerable, she had a much worse habit that she developed and enhanced since only a few weeks old.

When she was about 6 weeks, she started stealing my Dad's sirty underwear, and carrying them thru the house, trailing out behind her thru her legs, growling and snarling over them. She'd take them to my room (her safe place) after making several circuits of the house, and murder them.

While this was annoying, it was also funny, and kind of cute. Ok, so throwing Dad's underwear out all the time wasn't, but you get the idea..lol.

At about 6 months, she started growling and snarling at my Dad anytime he got my near my room. This was kind of cute too, but scarey, because she had a emans treak. She played rough, like a dog, and though she never used her claws, she'd bite the s*** out of you on a regular basis- I was constantly bitten up and bleeding form play seesions with her.

At 8 months, she took to peeing on Dad's dirty clothes. At this point, I started taking her outside for short periods of time to get her used to where she was soon going to be living.

A month later, she was peeing on his clean clothes, and outside she went.

So it could be worse then her keeping you up all night fussing! I'm not belittleing your problem, since I know how you feel, in my case it's school instead of work, but it never fails that I'll lose sleep due to one of my critters on a school night.

I would suggest spending as much time with her as you can when you can, it sounds like she wants your time, and you aren't giving it to her. If that doesn't work after a few weeks, I would go with trying to put her in another room at night if possible. But try to do it so she has things she enjoys there, and is a room she likes so she doesn't feel punished.

And I agree with the spaying thing if she's not already spayed.

MoonRaven
November 24th, 2003, 05:34 PM
I'm inclined to agree - pay attention to her before bed - especially play with her. Our cats are like this too - they're fine on weekends - they even let us sleep in once we feed them (every morning at 7 am and they know it). We were having a problem a couple of weeks ago in that they would start carrying on just after we went to bed (whining, fighthing, etc) and wouldn't let us sleep later than 5:30 or so in the morning, so for the last few weeks, we've been playing with them in the evening, and waking them up if they try to nap before we go to bed. So far we've had no problems - they now sleep through the night and don't come to bother us until around 7. :)

zakzekezedd
November 26th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Maybe MZ KittyCat figures if she keeps you up all night, you won't be going anywhere the next day? Possibly she is picking up on your own stress/distress over having to go to work. Cats occasionally do come up with some pretty bizarre behavior. I had one cat who would routinely go out to the middle of the kitchen floor and let out this yowl like something was killing him. I'd race to the kitchen, and there he would sit with a smug smirk on his face like he was just checking to see if I'd come to his rescue or not. I'm sure he had his reason for the behavior, but I'm darned if I ever figured it out. It's entirely possible she's just being a pest to be a pest...like a bratty little kid....any kind of attention is better than being ignored...

mothwench
November 26th, 2003, 06:27 AM
i suppose you live on a busy road, otherwise i guess you would already have considered letting it out. hv, i still see it as your only option. i do hope you'd sooner let it out than take it to an animal shelter when you're fed up due to lack of sleep.

Cappy
November 27th, 2003, 06:54 PM
and if all else fails, give her a bath when she meows. You got 2hrs of sleep right there.

veinglory
November 28th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Either she is distressed by something -- which has to be located and dealt with. Do you go to bed earlier on work nights and she just gets bored?

Or she bothers you and you entertain her -- which she thinks is great fun. So she needs alternative entertainment and you to ignore her...

Or she is in heat and nothing with stop her...

hard to say which based on this? For the first two options another cats would probably help.

Rachel3D
November 29th, 2003, 09:57 AM
It's me,Teshuva..I'm having trouble with that user name so I've to create a new one..and i've used all of your suggestions and ideas..a combination of factors have corrected the the problem...and hurray!! she is spayed,and an indoor cat so i can't turn her loose outside..she wouldn't survive..but now is being a good kitty again..i also found out she sleeps better when i give something called "cat milk" which contains taurrine and can be aquired in petsmart...i'm sorry i didnt reply to any of your posts sooner because far bigger problems have come up for me...please see my post in the energy request forum..it's titled "slander against me"...thank u and sorry again for not getting back to you sooner..Blessings and Peace...

Hoot
December 1st, 2003, 04:25 AM
Glad to hear she's better, and hope things will soon be better for you, too. If the Cat Milk you mentioned is expensive, I seem to recall that chicken is also a good source of taurine, which cats must have for good health.

Teshuva3D
December 6th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Nah,the cat milk is very cheap...and hey,I didn't know that chicken broth was another source of taurrine!! Anyway, all of you gave me useful suggestions..and the combo of all fixed the problem..
I really appreciate it..
Blessings and Energy to All,
Tesh/Rachel

shamannath
December 7th, 2003, 12:43 AM
pets are children your duaghter is crying out for your love she knows that you are leaving her all alone and when you come home you have things to do. In a nut shell she wants your time and love. Our cat dose the samething to us when we have been working alot of hour dearing the wk. So we've made it a point to bring her to bed with us and give her her own time and its really helped alot now she does her thing and is quite for us

mol
December 7th, 2003, 03:04 PM
My cat is driving me nuts too. He keeps redecorating my christmas tree! Every night!