PDA

View Full Version : Questions about crow and raven feathers?

Isil Darkmoon
December 6th, 2003, 09:22 PM
I'm looking for a few crow or raven feathers for a craft project for myself. Does anyone know

1) the legality of owning them? I know some species are protected. I live in Indiana.

2) where to get a few (three at least, up to a dozen)? I haven't been able to find any sources for them. The project would be one for me, I wouldn't be reselling anything. They'd go for a piece for the rededication/second degree initiation I'm working on for Imbolc.

Help, please? I'm feeling stumped!

9-2-2
December 7th, 2003, 06:09 AM
For fun: a total freak for feathers: http://www.geocities.com/felicitax/

Hunting crows and ravens is considered illegal in many parts of the U.S., at least as far as I know. What I would do if I was in your situation is order a hazmat suit, put it on, and stand under a tree full of crows or ravens.

The only feathers I've been able to find are from chickens, ostriches, peacocks, eagles, turkeys, and geese. Sorry. :(

Morgandria
December 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Crows start to shed feathers in late July and early August - that's the best time to find them. However, as was mentioned, crows and ravens are listed as songbirds, and it is illegal to own their feathers in both Canada and most of the US. As such, you can't buy them or sell them.

-M.

Ahautenites
December 7th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Huh. Learn something new every day. I knew it was illegal to possess Bald Eagle feathers. (They must be turned over to the government so they can be distributed to Native American tribes. The penalty for having a Bald Eagle feather in your possession is a hefty fine of $10,000.) But I had no idea that all of the *rest* of my feathers were in my possession illegally. **shrugs** Dude, I figure, if a bird sheds it and I find it, it's mine, no matter what kind of bird it comes from, because if I wasn't supposed to find it, I wouldn't have found it.

But from what I read when I was researching the possibility of having a crow for a companion bird, it's illegal in the United states to keep them as pets, but perfectly legal to kill them as pests. Talk about messed up laws.

9-2-2
December 7th, 2003, 04:02 PM
I don't know about outright killing. The government will try and relocate them, by setting off cherry bombs or something, to scare them off.

veinglory
December 7th, 2003, 06:03 PM
I can send you as many crow feathers as you want -- I se them lying around the farm. I guess now I'm looking I won't be able to find them... I am in the uk they'd be coming slow mail ;) plus it might take a few weeks to find a reasonable number.

Morgandria
December 7th, 2003, 06:04 PM
NeferSesemet,

if you're looking at possibly making the commitment to keeping a crow as a pet, try looking for a breeder of African Pied Crows. Those are legal to own, and have lovely white feathers on their breasts. :)

I keep illegal feathers too...so I wouldn't worry too much. The law is in place to prevent and protect songbirds from hunting, not people who pick up stray feathers on the ground.

-M.

veinglory
December 9th, 2003, 07:58 AM
p.s. if you want those feathers just email me at veingloriaATlycos.com

lady_raven
January 26th, 2004, 02:23 AM
I am looking for Raven feathers - was very happy to see the last post for veinglory - but was unable to send email. Can you please send me email with details - or repost your complete email address? Thank you very much! I would love to have authentic raven feathers.

mothwench
January 26th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Huh. Learn something new every day. I knew it was illegal to possess Bald Eagle feathers. (They must be turned over to the government so they can be distributed to Native American tribes. The penalty for having a Bald Eagle feather in your possession is a hefty fine of $10,000.) But I had no idea that all of the *rest* of my feathers were in my possession illegally. **shrugs** Dude, I figure, if a bird sheds it and I find it, it's mine, no matter what kind of bird it comes from, because if I wasn't supposed to find it, I wouldn't have found it.

But from what I read when I was researching the possibility of having a crow for a companion bird, it's illegal in the United states to keep them as pets, but perfectly legal to kill them as pests. Talk about messed up laws.

that is soo weird. here, it's illegal to buy a crow or raven, but if you happen to find a young 'un that's fallen out of its nest you can, and are encouraged to, raise it, and if you raise it, they stay with you of their own accord. they're great pets. the only problem is, sadly, most of the time they're owners die before they do, because they happen to have a life span of about 60-odd years, and then that makes one sad lonely confused raven. :(