PDA

View Full Version : :)

Xois
July 7th, 2001, 08:14 AM
I am always glad to try to help! I am an MCSE so if anyone has questions about NT, 2000, IIS, win95/98, please don't hesitate! :D

Xois

mol
July 7th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Xois
I am always glad to try to help! I am an MCSE so if anyone has questions about NT, 2000, IIS, win95/98, please don't hesitate! :D

Xois

Excellent.

Hmm...credentials abound..

I am a Software Engineer and have been a unix nerd since I was about 10 years old. Learned my first programming lanuage when I was 12 (Basic). And have been learning ever since.

I develop for embedded systems, windows applications, drivers, and unix utilities. Thats about it.

Like Xois said...ask away...

Betty Ann Bongo
July 7th, 2001, 03:16 PM
I'm not at all qualified to teach anyone anything that has dick to do with the computer.

Can i still play?

Xois here's a question or you: Why does Windows suck so bad?8O

Xois
July 7th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Because M$ rules the world, silly! ;)

Mairwen
July 7th, 2001, 07:46 PM
I can do my own HTML coding ~ I use NotePad. :D

Wyrdsister
July 8th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Betty Ann Bongo
Xois here's a question or you: Why does Windows suck so bad?8O You'd have to talk to Bill about that one... ;)

Wyrdsister

Wyrdsister
July 8th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Mairwen
I can do my own HTML coding ~ I use NotePad. :D Yay for you!! That's the only way to code it. ;) :D

Wyrdsister

EasternPriest
July 8th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Betty Ann Bongo
Xois here's a question or you: Why does Windows suck so bad?8O

Hehe...only Bill knows...that's why he runs the MSN network on a unix server!!!!!

random
July 8th, 2001, 09:23 PM
he he, one of my geek friends showed me this:
http://www.xerph.com/pics/chkvstux.jpg

Armitage
July 9th, 2001, 03:10 AM
I made this for a friend's Linux site (which doesn't exist now) whose addy was www.worshipthepenguin.com.

Emerald Sky
July 9th, 2001, 11:43 AM
I've been a software engineer for about 8 years. The company I work for programs in PICK Basic with a UNIX base. I also know Lotus programming language - which is basically VB, and html.

Myst
July 9th, 2001, 12:30 PM
I'm just finishing up a college program in computer programming.

I know HTML, DHTML, XML, SQL, Java, JavaScript, CGI, PHP, ASP, JSP, Visual Basic, Cobol (ew), and a bit of C++. I also know a bit about home networking (with Windows specifically - we have a home network of 5 computers sharing cable) and have worked with Linux.

Did you know originally geek meant "someone who eats live animals" or "someone who bites the heads off live animals" referring to carnival side show folks who actually did eat live animals to entertain people?

Xois : so you've done the 2000 track already? My fiance's studying up to take it :)

Armitage
July 9th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Wow. I feel underqualified now. All I know is HTML, Javascript, a little Perl, and how C looks as code.
*bows to superior geekdom :D *

random
July 9th, 2001, 01:54 PM
oh! oh!
Lookie what I found!!!

random
July 9th, 2001, 01:57 PM
well, I just know a little more than the basics of HTML and that's about it... but, it works for me. although, I would love to learn alot more. :)

Myst
July 9th, 2001, 02:47 PM
There's also a cute one flirting around with the devil from BeOS (I think that's the OS he's from, not sure) uhm "having relations" with our friend the Linux penguin.... :)

Xois
July 9th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Xois : so you've done the 2000 track already? My fiance's studying up to take it

ROTFLMFAO

Yeah, right!

I am currently working on my Thesis on James Joyce's Ulysses! Oh no...just MCSE+i in NT 4.0

As soon as I am done with my thesis however, I have to study for the upgrade exam!

Thanks for the laugh ;)

Xois

Myst
July 9th, 2001, 04:18 PM
I live to entertain... ? :)

Good luck with the thesis.

SamuraiInBlack
July 10th, 2001, 02:51 AM
Hi. I'm an 18 year old and I've done nothing really with my life in computers except all the geeky parts, and my big break is now coming through DeVry. LOL!

Seriously, I wish I dedicated more of my life to computers. I found out recently I could've gone out and gotten my A+ certification and gotten more certifications afterward and then made lots of moolah before I even started college.

I went to a tech school career thing during highschool last year thinking I was going to learn programming. What I did was not programming. What I did was learn how to code the same blasted thing 460 different ways in C++ including programming families, which to me are useless and a waste of oh about 400 lines of absolute garbage. Most of the programs they wanted me to write would've taken close to 500 lines of code if I didn't shorten it to the way I liked it, which only consisted about 150 or so. Then again it was Borland and the book was Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days, so I can't say I learned anything. The teacher I had was a buffoon because he left it up to store-bought books to teach us how to program.

So I ventured out on my own, got a little naughty and wrote myself the basics of a virus in that class. I crashed the network 5 times with that puppy till the admin actually got off his lazy arse and did something about all the crashes (besides blaming the Networking class in the room next to mine for the trouble and making them fix it for him)

But I'm out of that now. I decided I should use my skills as a programmer and tech-wise person for good. But I still like to test out the malicious sides of things just to see what can happen - someone's gotta learn how this stuff works. It's the only way you can find the cure.

But anyway I'm done blabbing here. *moves onto other topics to go wild on*

What I have done:
Graphics editing in Photoshop and Paintshop Pro
Programming in C, C++, UNIX, Visual Basic, Visual C++, Flash (some), HTML, some Javascript, some Java, and some CGI
Knowledge in modern hardware and most software.

Armitage
July 10th, 2001, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by WillowRaven
There's also a cute one flirting around with the devil from BeOS (I think that's the OS he's from, not sure) uhm "having relations" with our friend the Linux penguin.... :)

He's from BSD, one of the other Unix derivatives. Cute lil mascot too.

Myst
July 10th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Ah I got the B part right anyway, I can never remember the less known OS's. Windows, Solaris, Linux... these are what I know... :)

Mairwen
July 10th, 2001, 02:13 PM
MS DOS and CM MOS and Windows!

(mares eat oats and does eat oats!)

Myst
July 10th, 2001, 09:27 PM
and little lambs eat ivy

I'd eat ivy too, wouldn't you?

(ok memories of lambchops play along came back)

mol
July 10th, 2001, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SamuraiInBlack

What I have done:
Graphics editing in Photoshop and Paintshop Pro
Programming in C, C++, UNIX, Visual Basic, Visual C++, Flash (some), HTML, some Javascript, some Java, and some CGI
Knowledge in modern hardware and most software.

Glad to have you with us...

Now...we just have to figure out what to discuss!

Lucidia
July 30th, 2001, 04:10 PM
it just makes me feel bad.. knowing that i'm just a simple artist.

i'd love to be a programmer, it's just that it all squishes out of my head while i sleep.

html/xhtml is my friend. css is fun. perl.. well.. um.. i TRIED really hard.. really i did!

javascript and I are quickly getting to be good friends. dhtml and I met a while back.. just didn't spend enough time together.

c++... now there's a book i haven't picked up since i figured out i didn't know anyone who had the compiler and i bought the cheap version of the book without the compiler on the CD and i have a dial up connection at home (i live with family, and hopefully not for long, so i won't make the commitment to sign up for the 1 year contract on a cable modem or dsl), so downloading programs isn't exactly my idea of a fun thing to do, espeically when i'm nearly broke and use free ISPs.

never did really try to learn much else.. started learning PHP.. i just haven't had the cash to buy a book (i like books for reference, the internet is great, but books are right there in your hand... i'm sure someone else understands me there).

For the most part, I use photoshop. i haven't felt the need for any other program for years. I try to make the fancy schmancy effects on my own. I would cherish a copy of poser or bryce, but my wallet already took a dive when i payed bills last month, so no such luck for me. My computer is a..uhm.. how do I put this... an outdated peice of dog poopoo might work.... so i doubt I will really be able to run any 3d programs anyway.

So for now.. I am a simple artist. Making desktops and web site layouts and fantasy art with only my right hand on a mouse tweaking away at photoshop till the wee hours of the morning.

mol
July 30th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Lucidia

So for now.. I am a simple artist. Making desktops and web site layouts and fantasy art with only my right hand on a mouse tweaking away at photoshop till the wee hours of the morning.

Its funny, because I think of myself as an artist as well. Stepping back and looking a beautiful piece of code after many hours of work is breathtaking...

Lucidia
July 30th, 2001, 04:48 PM
yeah, i'll agree with you on that mol.

i'm just kinda insecure, cause all i'm REALLY good at is fantasy art and photo retouch stuff.. and it'll never make me any money at this rate.

it's just depressing.. i cant' afford the computer i need, or the programs i need, and working enough to afford those things is killing any free time i used to have to be a better artist anyway.

sometimes i just don't know why i keep trying.

but anyway, i'm getting off topic

i do agree, coding is an art in itself

SamuraiInBlack
July 31st, 2001, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Lucidia
yeah, i'll agree with you on that mol.

i'm just kinda insecure, cause all i'm REALLY good at is fantasy art and photo retouch stuff.. and it'll never make me any money at this rate.

it's just depressing.. i cant' afford the computer i need, or the programs i need, and working enough to afford those things is killing any free time i used to have to be a better artist anyway.

sometimes i just don't know why i keep trying.

but anyway, i'm getting off topic

i do agree, coding is an art in itself

Keep working at it. You'll land something soon if you just keep trying and keep an eye out for opportunity. Sometimes opportunity knocks on your neighbor's door but your neighbor doesn't answer. So take that moment to go greet opportunity and go from there.

Myst
July 31st, 2001, 01:22 AM
A friend of mine is an artist as well and can't find a job at all. Mind you, he lives in a small city (32,000) and won't move to TO to get a job..

For me web design is art, software development has some artistic qualities to it... What was the topic of this thread anyway?

mol
July 31st, 2001, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by WillowRaven
A friend of mine is an artist as well and can't find a job at all. Mind you, he lives in a small city (32,000) and won't move to TO to get a job..

For me web design is art, software development has some artistic qualities to it... What was the topic of this thread anyway?

Thats pretty bad...we are the mods and we are straying this WAAAYYY off-topic.

So...OT: SOME artistic qualities...I just have to disagree. I think almost all of it is..

SamuraiInBlack
July 31st, 2001, 12:24 PM
I agree mol. Coding in itself is an art.

I know that because my friend Codehappy Kid is always showing off his artistic ability to make humorous comments in his programs, whether in its actual coding or in the comments.

Then there's me, who does online rpg's where pictures are used to show the character. I try to give a good idea of what the character's about through the picture that I make for it.