PDA

View Full Version : Beliefnet

FaeFollower
December 31st, 2003, 09:36 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on beliefnet.com?? I really like it; it has forums for a whole bunch of different religions, and I really like learning about those. A lot of the information people give on the neo-pagan boards seems to be somewhat different from the info people offer here. I suppose it just depends on the people frequenting the site, but I'm wondering what everybody else thinks of it... :huh:

http://www.beliefnet.com

Epona44
December 31st, 2003, 10:20 PM
But you can learn a lot about the world's religions. You have to sign up to have access to the various sites, and endure pop-ups, but it's a good resource.

Ahautenites
January 1st, 2004, 11:37 AM
I used to be there all the time. Then came the board wars and the Rules of Conduct wars. It got so bad that most of the people on the Wicca board left. Many of them, myself included, came here to MW instead.

Every now and then, I still go there to read articles on various religious things, but I refuse to set foot on the Wicca board ever again. It's got too many bad memories attached to it.

Lunacie
January 2nd, 2004, 02:43 PM
I was so thrilled when I found Beliefnet three years ago (and a bit more). All those different boards, all the different religions to discuss, all the different beliefs to share. Bah. If you're not a Mormon don't go to the Mormon boards. If you don't believe in the Bible you won't be welcome at the Bible Christian board. If you even mention the Bible on the Wicca board you will be scoffed at. It's just like the real world, everyone goes to their own church and they rarely meet in a neutral place to discuss their similarities because they are too concerned about defending their differences.

Disclaimer: I still visit the Wicca boards, but it's to remind posters that there are people who believe in allowing others to be different instead of giving them grief because they believe something different than a couple of out-spoken posters would have you believe is the norm.

aefentid
January 3rd, 2004, 05:51 AM
I signed up for Beliefnet a few months ago, but I've never gotten around to posting.

I do lurk at the Reconstructionist section every once in awhile. I'm impressed that they actually have a board for seidr. I do like the Heathenry board, which has a good mix of people, and somehow unlike many other Heathen lists and forums I haven't seen any political flamewars.

Seamus MacNemi
January 3rd, 2004, 10:25 AM
I like to get the days Torah portion and some good words to begin my day. Occaisionally I might venture out into some of the articles but I don't go into any other religion on that site. As well, I don't tell anyone that I am practicing Druid solitary. From the beginning on that site I sensed the tension when I started getting Christian pop ups on my screen. I had to write back and tell them in no uncertain terms that I didn't appreciate attempts to prostletize. After that, they left me alone.

Phoenix Blue
January 3rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
I do lurk at the Reconstructionist section every once in awhile. I'm impressed that they actually have a board for seidr. I do like the Heathenry board, which has a good mix of people, and somehow unlike many other Heathen lists and forums I haven't seen any political flamewars.
:) The recons there worked really hard to make those forums happen. I don't suppose they'd let anything like that happen to the forums now that they actually have them.

Autumn
January 3rd, 2004, 10:25 PM
I learned a lot over at beliefnet, I will admit that, but I think more conversations and gentle persuassion happen here at MW and generally I like the atmosphere here better.

I get the feeling that with the cross traffic and some of the personalities they are not always welcoming to newbies. I was not a newbie to Wicca and my tree was rattled good by the historical purists over there. NOW I can thank them but at the time it was a little disconserting because I had been clinging to discredited anthroplogy and history for a while. I know there are a number of B-net regulars here including PB, Wanderer, and Lunacie. I also know Windsinger came and left because Mol (rightly)made it clear that a gentler touch was required here.

TornadoAli
January 28th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I like beliefnet a lot. I've never actually gone into the message boards because my proxy blocks them at work, but the articles I've read seem to be very interesting.

CelestiaSynth
January 28th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I like Beliefnet. I don't post there that often, but I've been reading that site for about 2 years now. I think the concept for the website was great. Gathering all sorts of religious
viewpoints and cultures together to understand and discuss each others differences and similarites, while also letting those of similar religious leanings to talk about their own path. The articles there do spark interesting conversion, but I will agree that the boards are by far more confrontational than MW. You can't have a weak heart while talking in the debate sections :lol:

Lunacie
January 28th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Actually there aren't many places to compare religions and beliefs except on the debate boards. Many of the mainstream boards are closed to all but "true believers". And you can guess how well most conversations go on a "debate" board.

moonmorgan
February 4th, 2004, 06:20 PM
eh.

I don't like the setup of the boards. To difficult to follow.

Nightmelody
May 15th, 2005, 02:53 AM
I used to get alot of information from the Wicca boards there(as a lurker) but I've gone less and less. Lately, it is just painful to read! The posters there are so nasty to each other, and not nice to newbies either. I always feel like posting---"Runaway, little newbie! Go, now!"

Toki Wartooth
May 15th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I like the place. That's one of the first places I went to in order to read more about Paganism. I only posted one thread once, and I got informative replies. I also enjoy reading articles on various things. It's very informative and very useful.

Ishna
May 15th, 2005, 05:09 AM
I spent a lot of time there three or four years ago, but after about a year of being there, probably about 2004, the Wicca boards just went totally downhill, and now they've just about hit rock bottom.

I find quite a few of the people on the Wicca boards are incredibally retentive, unwelcoming and closed-minded, as is evident now that they just fight amongst themselves constantly and bite off the head of anyone who gets into the crossfire.

Some of the people who were nice a couple of years ago are now just as nasty as the ones who were nasty a couple of years ago. *sigh*

The Recon boards are excellent there. The Neo-Pagan board is good, but far too quiet. Mots other religions boards I have visited have been very informative and welcoming, especially the Sikhism board.

The articles are okay, and I find it highly entertaining to read the responses to most articles and news stories, even though most of the time they just disintegrate into "my god is better than your god" discussions.

Overall: Good if you avoid the Wicca boards!!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Ishna. aka Neina (at beliefnet)

Ben Gruagach
May 15th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I visited the Wicca boards at Beliefnet a few years ago but was turned off by how the dominant clique was so derogatory towards anyone who didn't agree 100% with their pronouncements. I went back again recently (mostly because I was curious about some things another MysticWick person had said about it), posted in a few threads, but found things haven't really changed much.

It's always disappointing when people set themselves up as elders or leaders (telling everyone else very publicly what is and isn't) yet set such a poor example as a role model.

Thankfully, we have MysticWicks. There are quite a few people here who I am honoured to be able to watch in action and are definitely worthy role models!

Nightmelody
May 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I have been impressed by some of the big name pagans that post here at Mysticwicks, about their books or just on threads. When I see someone defending something or debating a point without coming across as egotistical or enraged, that gets my attention. That gets my respect far more than put downs etc.

As far as Beliefnet Wicca boards, I plan to check once in a while to see if they've improved, but I won't be spending my time there as they are.

Seren_
May 23rd, 2005, 01:20 PM
I used to post there occasionally - years ago the boards were quite enjoyable and informative. There were always one or two characters there that could be a bit in your face, but they had something to say and said it intelligently, if not so politely. Some boards were always a bit more volatile than others, but like someone else said, the Recon boards have always been good. The only down side is very few people seem to post in them.

Especially on the Wicca boards I find that it's very closed in, newbies aren't made to feel welcome, and anyone who disagrees with an opinion - especially of some of the more established or traditional-focused posters - ends up in conflict and sniping at each other. It seems that it's got so bad that some people are constantly defending themselves, while others are constantly not listening to them and instead spend their time making assumptions about what another person is really saying. It's got far too personal over there.

On top of that, I don't like the format of the boards and the in-your-face adverts. I understand the need for them, but they're a bit too aggressive for my liking. When I came here, it took a while to get used to the way the boards worked, but it's much better, and the people are much nicer. Way back when, boards like beliefnet looked down on this place as being a haven for bunnies. That's never been my experience.

All in all, there are the inevitable disagreements here but ultimately I think the respect rule works. Something Beliefnet could do with, I think.

StormVixen
May 23rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
i got scared and left

Khuinaset
May 23rd, 2005, 02:02 PM
I spent a lot of time there three or four years ago, but after about a year of being there, probably about 2004, the Wicca boards just went totally downhill, and now they've just about hit rock bottom.

I find quite a few of the people on the Wicca boards are incredibally retentive, unwelcoming and closed-minded, as is evident now that they just fight amongst themselves constantly and bite off the head of anyone who gets into the crossfire.

Some of the people who were nice a couple of years ago are now just as nasty as the ones who were nasty a couple of years ago. *sigh*

The Recon boards are excellent there. The Neo-People board is good, but far too quiet. Mots other religions boards I have visited have been very informative and welcoming, especially the Sikhism board.

The articles are okay, and I find it highly entertaining to read the responses to most articles and news stories, even though most of the time they just disintegrate into "my god is better than your god" discussions.

Overall: Good if you avoid the Wicca boards!!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Ishna. aka Neina (at beliefnet)

I agree with this and with what Ben G said...I lurked on the Wicca boards for a bit, and I only posted once I think(that wasn't rude or disrespectful IMO) only to be dismissed as a "snotty teenager with a chip on her shoulder". The boards other than the Wicca boards seem nice and informative, but every time I've been on the Wicca boards all I've seen is irritable bickering and arguing about who's right and who's not.