PDA

View Full Version : 12 step program

divia astarte
January 3rd, 2004, 02:21 AM
this is a different venue for me but i didn't know where else to ask. Today I went to a nar-anon meeting and while everyone was very nice - I felt sort of strange because it is an obviously Christian program. Is there a 12-step program for pagans? If there is would someone please let me know. BB Divia Astarte

banondraig
January 3rd, 2004, 03:20 AM
i don't know but i will ask around. don't let the Christianity put you off -- i'm sure you still have a lot in common with those people. everyone feels a little strange at first.

DragonMare
January 3rd, 2004, 03:31 AM
Hey there. I am a recovering addict and i go to AA, CA, NA meetings and have been going for a while... if the meeting you went to seems a bit christianity based then they are teaching the wrong thing.. Alcoholics Anonymous is a "spiritual" program. they do speak of GOD but as it states in the big book (the AA basic text) that god id a "God of your own understanding" they try to call it your Higher power. they try to teach you that anything can be your higher power and that all you need to believe is that there is a "power greater than yourself" that can get you through this mess of addiction. anyways the problem is that most of the "old timers" are devout christians and look down on other religons... another problem I have found is I am a drug addict and anyone who goes to an AA meeting if there are many Old timers there, they look down on you or even tell you not to speak if you identify as an Addict and not an alcoholic. anyways, what you need to do is check out all the meetings in your area and find the ones where you feel most comfortable...

Visit these sites they should have meeting lists...
www.Alcoholics-Anonymous.org
www.ca.org
www.na.org

best of luck

and Blessed Be

DragonMare

banondraig
January 6th, 2004, 06:00 AM
having asked, i have found much the same as DragonMare. try to give the people a chance. many Christians are at least somewhat open-minded and will help you if you need their help, even if they do seem a little hard-core.

banondraig
January 6th, 2004, 11:56 AM
check out this thread: http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=40459&page=3&pp=10

Ouroboros
January 6th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Hey there. I am a recovering addict and i go to AA, CA, NA meetings and have been going for a while... if the meeting you went to seems a bit christianity based then they are teaching the wrong thing.. Alcoholics Anonymous is a "spiritual" program. they do speak of GOD but as it states in the big book (the AA basic text) that god id a "God of your own understanding" they try to call it your Higher power.

Yikes, another dragonmare :jawdrop:

Hey I think the "Higher power" concept they refer to is intruiging, I'd no idea AA was spiritual at all. I'd call myself a drug addict and alcholic but I don't go to meetings :lol:

I don't really use drugs much anymore, except the occasional tryptamine or maryjane for some adventure. Alcohol might be considered a problem, but I'm only 25 and it's in my blood, the celtic part.

Flar's Freyja
January 6th, 2004, 01:35 PM
You are probably going to find one problem or another with any of these groups as you go on. Sometimes it is not the AA or NA philosophy at all, but the individual people who make up that particular group. This sometimes causes problems. In addition to groups that lean heavily on the Christian concept, as a mental health professional I have always had a problem with groups that discourage people from seeking mental health treatment when needed.

Hopefully you don't live in an area where there is just one group. If not, you may want to try different groups, even some that are in other towns, until you find the one where you feel most comfortable.

And pagan groups are springing up everywhere, there is now one where I live. When you are more secure in the program, maybe you'll start one!

Ouroboros
January 7th, 2004, 05:20 AM
You are probably going to find one problem or another with any of these groups as you go on. Sometimes it is not the AA or NA philosophy at all, but the individual people who make up that particular group. This sometimes causes problems. In addition to groups that lean heavily on the Christian concept, as a mental health professional I have always had a problem with groups that discourage people from seeking mental health treatment when needed.

Hopefully you don't live in an area where there is just one group. If not, you may want to try different groups, even some that are in other towns, until you find the one where you feel most comfortable.

And pagan groups are springing up everywhere, there is now one where I live. When you are more secure in the program, maybe you'll start one!

Maybe programming-wise I can see your philosophy. But to view deeper...if humans do not change unless they Want to or Have to, considering either scenario is a tough one, any help would be considered a blessing - regardless of stereotypes, races, religions, groups, or otherwise.

The only thing one would have to accept after receiving help (mind you even from pagan groups...to each their own path) is that there's bound to be numerous individuals of all types during your "help" period who might affect your programming. Big deal, reprogram yourself. These responsibilities should be easily mastered, I don't see how even a heroin addict could Not accomplish this.