PDA

View Full Version : The weight loss Firm the body thread

Yvonne Belisle
July 10th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Ok now that I have your attention.....what I would like to see here is recipies for low fat dishes, how to set your goal, advice on safety during weightloss and excersise. I'm going to start another one for anyone who wants to share what they are doing and get encouragement from everyone else. I think one of the hardest parts of weightloss or excersise is when you are starting a new routine alone sticking to it or getting over the platau's.

Yvonne Belisle
July 10th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Hey how's this for timing I was just checking my email and found this.

FAST FOOD BOMBSHELL

Select fast food items that are no more than 500 calories and 30% fat
or less. A fast food item with 30% fat and 500 calories would yield
about 17 grams of fat. Total fat also consist of saturated fat.
Saturated fat clogs arteries if too much is consumed over a long
period of time.

Try to eat as few saturated fat grams as possible. Lets say you have a
500 calorie fast food hamburger (Mc Donald Quarter Pounder) with 17
grams of total fat and 5 grams of saturated fat. This would not be the
best or most healthy fast food, but it is a meal that you can enjoy
when you're on the run.

To complete the meal, add a low calorie item such as diet soda, fruit
from home, yogurt, side salad with low fat dressing, low fat ice cream
or soup.

Below is a list of fast food (bombshells) to avoid due to high
calorie, high fat and high saturated fat.

JACK in the BOX
g = gram cal = calories sat. = saturated fat

Ultimate Cheeseburger: 1030 cal, 79g fat, 26g sat. fat
Colossus Burger: 1100 cal, 84 g-fat, 28g sat. fat
Bacon Cheeseburger: 710 cal, 45g fat, 15g sat. fat
Grilled Sourdough Burger: 670 cal, 43g fat 16g sat. fat

TACO BELL

Taco Salad: 838 cal, 55g fat, 16g sat. fat
Nachos Bell Grande: 633 cal, 34g fat, 12g sat. fat
Mexican Pizza: 574 cal, 38g fat, 12g sat. fat

KFC (KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN)

Chicken Breast (hot and spicy): 530 cal, 35g fat, 8g sat. fat
Pot Pie: 770 cal, 4g fat, 21g sat. fat

DAIRY QUEEN

Chicken Strip Basket with
french fries and toast: 860 cal, 42g fat, 11g sat. fat

Heath Blizzard (regular): 820 cal, 36g fat, 17g sat. fat

BURGER KING

Double Whopper with cheese: 960 cal, 63g fat, 24g sat. fat
Whooper with cheese: 730 cal, 46g fat, 16g sat. fat
BK Big Fish sandwich: 720 cal, 43g fat, 8g sat. fat

Kiya
July 10th, 2001, 08:16 AM
OK, this will probably annoy everyone but......I'm 31, 5' 6", 125lbs (just under 9 stone to my fellow UK friends!) have a 24 inch waist, an appetite of a horse and I eat what I want.

Now, before I suffocate under a hail of rotten tomatoes, I do have a point here. I do not eat low-fat food - I eat butter, rather than reduced fat margerine, I drink full fat milk (which is still only 4% fat, btw), I eat meat, cakes (home made!) pasta, potatoes......etc. I do not eat anything that states it is 'diet' or reduced fat or reduced calorie. You take a look at some of the microwavable so called 'healthy' weight loss dinners you can buy pre-prepared and see how much longer the E-numbers and additives list is compared to anything edible!

I have noticed one thing different to the way I eat to the way people who are trying to lose weight eat. I don't even think about it. If I'm hungry, I'll eat what I like, then forget about food and go back to doing what I was doing in the first place. I even forget to eat if I'm particularly engrossed in a book, work, tv or something.

I guess my point (look, I will get around to it eventually!) is probably the minute you're thinking 'snack attack' - go DO something - the filing, faxing, washing up, ironing, scrub the kitchen floor - and take your mind off it. Plus you get a bit of excercise at the same time!

And before anyone tells me I'm a goody goody snot - I need to take my own advice on the subject of smoking!!!!!!!! (It's been well over 12 hours since my last ciggie and boy do I want one now!)

Kiya
July 10th, 2001, 08:30 AM
As per usual I can always be relied on to put my foot in it unwittingly. Yvonne sweetheart you have so much on your plate, that the last thing you need is some skinny assed prat (me!) telling you how thin she is!!!!!

Just read your very sad post about your friend - I've been there too, and I nearly lost everything. It took me a long time to get back up on my feet, but I've done it - well, I'm nearly there.

I could never tell anyone how I was feeling, and the isolation nearly killed me - literally, I considered suicide.

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel - and it's not a train heading towards you!

I will say a prayer for you, and you'll be in my thoughts.

Love, light and an end to your empty purse,

Yvonne Belisle
July 10th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Actually I have found over the years through research that the thing that most of the thin people :) have in common is that they only eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full. In other words they listen to their bodies. I had at one point a body that was 36 17 34 and weighed a whoping 105 pounds. I danced for many hours a night because I wanted to and was very active. I got hurt at 18 and was told all of the things that I couldn't do (which was just about everything) but in 1987 the doctors gave no thought to changing my diet or isometric excersises. This change in my life triggered an eating disorder that I have since spent several years hiding behind. It's a long dark path to return to where I once was and to be perfectly honest I am too chicken to go it alone. It's hard and frightening I know I can't get my old figure back I have since had 4 kids but I would like to get healthier again. I have had boughts with anorexia which has done some possibly perminant damage to my system and have managed to lose about 45 pounds before I stepped on a scale relized how much I had lost and paniced triggering binges. I have great hope that I will find others who for whatever reason also need to hold a hand so to speak to keep from giving up. I do know that I am the type of person who if I can get close enough to my goal will stick with it because once I've reached the halfway point I will have gone too far to chicken out. By the way Kiya you are blessed to be able to stop when you aren't hungry from the standpoint of someone who is there it's more than just a willpower problem but willpower is a large part of it.

Yvonne Belisle
July 10th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Thank-you for your support and look I'm crazy enough to add more to my plate.:eek: :D :cool: :p There are so many reasons why a person may become over weight and I know that it is so very hard for a skinny one to understand them. I was there and I have been suicidal in the past. As humans we turn to various things when we get depressed some drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, food, sex the list goes on. Then you have the people who have medical problems that cause them to put on weight. It's a scary thing and breaking any addiction is easier with a friend at your side than alone. Even things such as excersise can become an addiction and pass the point where it is good for you and reach into the realm of the dangerous. :)

Kiya
July 10th, 2001, 08:40 AM
...I just stop eating when I'm not hungry, but why can't I just stop smoking???

Even though I have been extremely blessed to never have had a problem with food, and I can't understand what you are going through, I have my nicotine addiction, which both angers and irritates me. It's MY fault, I was the idiot who started smoking, but I honestly didn't have a clue how difficult it was to give up.

So how about a deal, Yvonne? Will you say a prayer for me to help me give up smoking, and I'll pray for you to have a better relationship with food.

Love and liight babe, hang on in there!

Yvonne Belisle
July 10th, 2001, 08:47 AM
They are both addictions why not join the weight loss thread but instead of your goal being to eat healthier or tone up your body how about stopping the smokes? You can set yourself goals to reach on reducing or cold turkey and just like we need to kind of hold a hand to fight our addiction and keep our resolution stiff so do you then we can all get healthier together. I would also be happy to say a prayer for you. :D

Kiya
July 10th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Big cheesey grin here now! Thanks Yvonne!

Right, I'm on for the thread - also, I need to tone up too - you're right, you can be 98lbs and flabby!

OK folks, my goal for the week is to not smoke at work or before I go to work. I've managed it today cos I've got no money in my purse! So if I can manage it today, I can manage it tomorrow.

As for toning up - I live in the middle of nowhere, I work full-time and I don't want to join a gym, class or anything like that. Suggestions for working out at home would be most appreciated!

evilslinkycat
July 10th, 2001, 11:20 AM
OK Count me in on this....:cool:
I have been thinking of toning myself up a bit and doing some weight loss. I tried that 'no carb' thing for about 2 days, that is not going to work for me LOL
Low Fat food and things like that are horrid imho. and Not really all that heathly for you. I know that I need to get out and do stuffd more often, but with working 40+hours a week,I just don't feel like it. I do have a 2 yr old to chase after so that helps:p
i want to take up Belly dancing, but then again I run into the whole lack of time problem.....

Anyway I here and willing
:D

Yvonne Belisle
July 10th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Well I tucked some tips in the partner thread that you may find good. Welcome to the team!

Emerald Sky
July 10th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Count me in! I look at pictures of myself and just feel totally ashamed and disgusted! Before I got pregnant with my first daughter, I was a size 2. I weighed 105 lbs. at 5'2''. The way I stayed thin was to eat smaller portions. I still ate everything. I don't eat "diet" foods if they're only considered diet because the contain Nutrasweet. (Nutrasweet is eeeevvviiillll! :bad: ) Seriously, I know several people who have had SERIOUS side affects from it... anyway, back to my point.

I have two daughters. The youngest is six months old. I now weigh somewhere around 155 lbs. (I quit stepping on the scale.) and I wear a size 14. :( I still have to wear maternity clothes (which are mostly winter clothes - in the middle of summer) because I don't have the money to buy bigger clothes. :( I've never been this big, and it's pretty discouraging.

What's worse is I started smoking again about a month ago... here's my screwed up thinking.... gee, maybe it will help me lose weight! :rolleyes:

Yvonne Belisle
July 10th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Join the party the more the merrier! I think a good step for after you talk to your doctor is write down your goals somewhere! The other thread is good for it but you can do it anywhere you want. All of the things I have read suggest that for at least a week prefferably longer keep a food log. What you ate when you ate how you felt why you picked it. this is then good to bring to the doctor it can also show you things about your eating habits that you may not have noticed such as triggers.

MystyPines
July 10th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Merry Meet everyone!

YvonneThomas, I think this is a great thread! I have had a problem with food for quite some time now which has caused me to go into a depression. I don't like to go out in public, other than going to the office. I do not go to restaurants (unless they have a drive-thru). I basically stay in the house when home, and if I do have to go out to the store, I hope that no one notices me. It is awful that my weight makes me feel that bad about myself. But, I know that people see the outside before they see the inside. My weight has made my self-esteem low and my sex life with my husband not as good as it used to be when I was thin. I have stopped visiting with my friends and in fact have been able to put off seeing my best friend for 9 months now (she only lives 15 minutes from me). I avoid any type of social gatherings whether family or office. I have also recently since 1998 battled with anorexia (weighing about 110 lbs at 5 ft 7, Size 2), only eating 1 meal a day every 3 days or so, compulsively weighing myself throughout the day, hiding food on my plate, lying to family that I ate, etc. I also took up smoking cigarettes at this time, so that I would not reach for food and instead I reached for a cigarette. Now, in the past year I have gone the opposite way battling with compulsive overeating and weighing in at about 160 lbs. I have been dieting the last few weeks, and I know this sounds awful, but I wish I could be anorexic again. To be able to wear normal size clothes (not my husbands which I am currently wearing), to be able to walk down the street and not feel like a whale. Sometimes I feel so alone. 8O I had visited my parents last week and my father had made a remakr about my weight and said: "Geesh, you looked so good at your wedding last year, I don't know what happend, you should really try to lose weight." Even my 10 year old son told me I had a "big butt" recently. Coming from children, I know you should just let it go, but it really hurts, it hurts that I can't look or meet up to everyone's expectation. I guess I am no Claudia Schiffer.

Yvonne Belisle
July 10th, 2001, 02:14 PM
This is exactly why I broke down and shared! You are not alone! I am there and I am sure that others are too and to swing back and forth between the two disorders is something I have done for some time. I used to carry packs of honey and put a drop on my finger when I felt like I had to have something. I scared the beegeebees out of my friends. Then I would see how much I lost and how fast and panic and eat then I would be so dipressed over my binge that I would binge some more furthering the disgust. It's a really nasty vicious cycle and hard to break. I want to lose it healthy this time but I have been hiding behind the weight for so long it's my security blanket. I am very well endowed on top and at 105 pounds was still a dd I haven't seen my feet since 13 looking down. I guess part of why I hide is because when I looked like that I didn't know if the guy liked me or my shelving unit.

Lavender
July 11th, 2001, 01:59 AM
Count me in! :D

I was never a 'skinny mini'. Although, I was never very overweight, I weight more than I should & I'm very out of shape. About 2 years ago, I came to terms with the fact that I'll never be skinny (like models & actresses) & have decided to get into better shape. I don't care how much I weight now, I'm working on toning up. That's why I took up yoga. I find that it's hard to do some of the poses when you're full of food. Because of that, I've given up snacking at night...which is really hard for me...and do yoga instead. I used to sit in front of the tv & eat chips & snacks. Another thing I found helped was knitting. When I watch tv now, I knit. It keeps my hands busy & I don't want to get grease all over my knitting. Whatever works! :rolleyes:

Yvonne, I think this is a great idea!

loopy
July 11th, 2001, 02:06 AM
Firstly, I just wanted to thank you guys for sharing your stories. It's been really helpful. MystyPines, when I read your post I just broke down and cried for a while, because that's exactly what I've been going through for a while now, except I'm almost 17 and unmarried. :)

I was pretty happy with myself for most of my life--in fact, I was really very carefree; body images never concerned me. In my eyes, what was important was what's on the inside, and I foolishly believed that everyone else saw things the same way I did. Of course, going through middle school and high school, where nobody cares about anything besides looks, I was fairly quickly proven wrong.

Finally, the summer after freshman year I decided to just stick to a diet, which included eating nothing and excercising a lot. I dropped about 30 pounds in a month or so, and though my family noticed, they didn't really lecture me about it until a week or two before school. Anyway, school started, and everyone kept commenting on how much weight I'd lost. It felt good on some level, but secretly I was so jealous of a friend of mine who'd lost even more weight than I had.

As the school year went on, I lost 10 more pounds by eating about 500-600 caleries of fat-free food a day--I had to eat now that my family was watching me, and I didn't really mind, because I enjoyed the diet ("eating healthy"). But then the year kept going, pressure kept building, and I started to put on the weight again. By the time summer came around, I'd gained maybe 15-20 pounds back and was miserable. I kept telling myself I'd start dieting once summer came around again, but kept stalling.

When it was time to go back to school, I just couldn't do it. I got my mother to sign me out by talking her into letting me do homeschooling. But all I think about is losing weight again, so I barely do any work. I haven't seen my best friends in almost a year now. Haven't seen anyone besides my immediate family, actually.

I keep trying to get back on track, but everything keeps haunting me, and I'm just trapped now. I feel like I can't face anybody because I'm so embarrassed.

Anyway, I'm hoping maybe this thread will help me figure out some sort of exercise regimen, maybe urge me to keep going. Maybe we could all compare the exercise we do daily and figure out what works the best and everything? I'm pretty eager to start living again, since I've wasted about a year of my life that I can never get back.

Anyway, now I've monopolized the conversation :D I just wanted to thank you all again for sharing your stories, as it has given me the courage to share mine.

Yvonne Belisle
July 11th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Loopy please stick with us as we figure out how to make this work. You are in one of the most interesting times of your life. I miss what I had back then in terms of friends, compainionship, responsibility all of it. I think I can safely say that we have all hit rock bottom on one thing or another. I know that I have medical problems that might never be better from my bought with anorexia. I also saw a friend in high school hospitalized due to bulemia. They are some really mean illnesses and hard to kick. I think posting how we are doing on a dailly basis is a great idea. No cheating people!!!! If you don't make your goal of the day that's fine acknowledge it and we will move on. The reality is that at times we will not hit that goal if we admit that here in the begining we take away some of the power it has over us when it happens.

Mairwen
July 11th, 2001, 12:03 PM
When I lived in California, I had the fortune to live with a diabetic man. I went on his diet along with him, so he'd have support, and wouldn't have to go out of his way to do "anything special" for me (unless he wanted to). We ate a low-carb diet, and the weight practically melted off me ~ that, and I spent my time either splashing around at one of the lakes, in the river, or relaxing in his back yard (or running around with the band!8O).

I've tried to stick to that since I came back to Kentucky. It's hard, but it's do-able if you think about it and stick to what you're doing. The easiest way to go is to count carbs, watch the fat grams, and watch the salt intake (I can't add salt to any of my food, and I have to read labels to make sure I don't go over "my salt limit"). Remember that anything "lo fat" usually means "HIGH SALT" ~ because they have to preserve the food somehow.

Mairwen
July 11th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Yvonne Thomas
Actually I have found over the years through research that the thing that most of the thin people :) have in common is that they only eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full.

Well, I'm not thin by any means (I wear a women's 18), but I have learned to listen to my body, and that's helped. Unless I'm really hungry, rarely do I go back for seconds. It makes for trouble with the mother-in-law ;), but she gets over it. It's my body, not hers; right? :p

I was anorexic as a teen, too, and it finally struck me that that's why I had such a hard time losing weight after my kids were born. Somehow my brain didn't want to go back there, and I was inwardly terrified to make myself that sick again. So, I kept getting larger and larger and using food to compensate for other things in my life. Big mistake!

Get your happiness where you can! :D

Mairwen
July 11th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerald Sky
(Nutrasweet is eeeevvviiillll! :bad: ) Seriously, I know several people who have had SERIOUS side affects from it..

I resemble that remark!

MystyPines
July 11th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Yvonne and Loopy,

Now, I don't feel so alone. I am not sure what causes my anorexia or overeating disorders, could be many things. I have heard it could be a lack of control in your life, a traumatic situation that occurred such as a death or divorce, and also being a Perfectionist. It all started out as a diet to lose a few pounds, and with all the attention, feedback and compliments, I just kept taking it further. It was like a "high" for me. I just fed off of it. And, couldn't stop myself. I was getting all types of attention, especially from men. I kept wanting to lose just 1 more lb. In total, I lost over 70 lbs at that time, joined an Anorexia Nervosa support group which actually was worse for me than making things better. I would show up at the meeting, and would discuss weight with some of the girls (which is a No/No in the Anorexia group), and what I would do is try to lose more weight before the next meeting so I would be thinner than them. I just didn't see that I was anorexic. I would look in the mirror and say, oh just a few more pounds. Eventually, my hair began to fall out in clumps, nails were just peeling away, I began to grow thick blond body hair on my arms, stomach and back (called Lanugo, a sympton of Anorexia), leg cramps (due to lack of certain vitamins), slow heart rate and low body temperature (in 90 degree weather I would be wearing a sweater because I was cold alll the time, bad circulation). Eventually, I was told just to take a photograph of myself and really look at it. So I did. I took a picture scantily clothed, and what I saw was a Skeletal figure, every rib, neck bone, my hips, my biceps were the same size as my wrists. Then, I realized I could not go on like this. I was able to bring my weight up to a healthy 125 lbs. (at 5 ft 7). I met my Husband at that time and well him being an Italian and does all the cooking, I am here at 160 lbs. Just can't win!

P.S. The picture I posted in Member Pictures thread is me at 119 lbs. (from 1 year ago). I was too embarassed to post a recent pic.

Yvonne Belisle
July 11th, 2001, 12:38 PM
You may want to be carefull with the excersize. I have talked with a lot of people that have had the same problem that when they got into excersize and saw what it did for their bodies that it became an obsession. Excersize yes!!!!! Very important but watch yourself for the same type of thought pattern and if you find yourself on that path get help. Too much of anything is a bad thing.

MystyPines
July 11th, 2001, 12:53 PM
"...I just stop eating when I'm not hungry, but why can't I just stop smoking???"

Kiya
------------------------------------------

Kiya,

I took up smoking when I began my anorexia, I would smoke, drink coffee or diet soda (not to healthy) instead of reachnig for food. In other words, I was using the smoking outlet instead of the eating outlet, exchanging one bad habit for another.

---------------------------------------------

"By the way Kiya you are blessed to be able to stop when you aren't hungry from the standpoint of someone who is there it's more than just a willpower problem but willpower is a large part of it."

Yvonne
----------------------------------------------

With anorexics, Willpower is not the problem. In fact, they say that with Bullimia and Anorexia, anorexics have more Willpower because they have to "starve" themselves, and yes we feel the starvation pains, but I used to get around this by going to bed every night at 8 p.m. Bullimia you still eat, binge, but of course vomit afterwards.

Yvonne Belisle
July 11th, 2001, 01:05 PM
I used to use honey by the drop when the pains were too much and I would consider a piece of gum as something I ate after all I swallowed the flavorings. It was a way of looking my friends in the eye and being able to honestly say I had something that day.

MystyPines
July 11th, 2001, 01:14 PM
I remember the lies also, I would tell my family at dinner time that I had a big lunch at the office. I also, used to hide my food in the napkins, or cut my food into real small pieces to make it look like I was eating or pretend to eat, using my fork and bringing it to my mouth but never taking a bite, no one ever noticed. Now, with the compulsive overeating, I usually will hit a drive-thru like McDonalds on the way home and scarf it down before I go home and have dinner with my husband. Or go out and buy a bag of cookies and eat as much as I can before I get home and hide the wrappers behind my seat in the car, and go out later, when my husband isn't around and throw them in the Trash outside. Overeaters are also able to hide their overeating just as anorexics hid their "not eating."

Yvonne Belisle
July 11th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Very true my pattern is a pedulum. I stop eating see how much I've lossed eat everything for a while see how much I've gained and go the other way again. Ugh! I know better too I've taken college classes on nutrition I've done research, but it doesn't make it change. It's really hard on body and mind.

Yvonne Belisle
July 11th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Vegitarian sloppy joes with only 6 grams of fat! Ok Ok it's only the recipe but still I love these things! I bet they would go great with Pita bread! Or as a dip for melba toast.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Unsloppy Joes

Recipe By : Real Food for Real People
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups Spaghetti Sauce -- (no sugar added kind
1 cup Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Vinegar
3 dashes Mrs. Dash seasoning
24 squares Saltine Crackers

Pour sauce into large sauce pan and start to cook at medium heat. Add all
ingredients except crackers and stir well. The TVP will take about 5-10
minutes to absorb the sauce. When it gets completely moistened and has taken
in most of the juice, crumble the crackers and add them to the pan.

These are great served on buns like traditional Sloppy Joes, or on split
rolls of your choice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 143 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (33% calories from fat); 3g
Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 581mg Sodium

Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates

MystyPines
July 11th, 2001, 02:34 PM
I have to thank all of you. I have been with Mysticwicks for 4 months now, but never felt I was really a part of the group until today. I feel a lot of support and I feel some heartache in the stories I have read. I hope that someday I will be able to overcome my underweight/overweight problems. I hope in the future there will be a time when I don't have to think of my weight at all. Because of this Thread, I was able to cut and paste my first post from it and send it to my best friend by email, to let her know that it is not because of her that I had not seen her for 9 months. Her response was: "I love you and I am here for you always." I realize there are so many more important things in life to get down about, such as some of the situations I have read here on the threads whether it be day-to-day survival and money problems, child abuse, etc. But this problem has been so devastating to me, that I have been borderline with suicidal thoughts. It affects every aspect of my life, my sex life with my husband, how I feel at the office, my friendships, and now I am even distancing my self from my family. I just want to thank you all!

evilslinkycat
July 11th, 2001, 02:49 PM
(Nutrasweet is eeeevvviiillll! ) Seriously, I know several people who have had SERIOUS side affects from it..

I've been using that Splenda stuff, much much better then nutrasuck.....:p

fantine
July 11th, 2001, 03:03 PM
It sure is wonderful knowing there are so many people experiencing the same feelings/problems/issues. It makes me feel less isolated, which is one of the biggest problems of overeaters.

It is amazing that a good number of us know we have a problem, we acknowledge we want to do something about it, yet we still have such a difficult time breaking out of the habits and routines which keep us where we are. I think part of the reason we keep going as we do is to keep a sense of normalcy. We may be disgusted with ourselves, but we are comfortable and secure. If we forceably take away our "security blanket" we are then forced to do things that are not within our "normal". And that is the most frightening thing to do, what we all need to do.

Beyond my definite medical reasons for weight gain, I also have a lot of personal issues that just added to the excess. I am currently researching local exercise facilities so I can motivate myself to do more than sit at a desk and type on the computer. If I'm paying good money for it, I'm motivated. It took me a long time to realize I was most contented with myself when I was swimming 2 to 3 days a week and eating a more healthy diet. Now I have to get back there, one day at a time, and one step at a time. And it certainly is easier with support from you all! :)

And MystyPines, I also live in Connecticut. If you ever need a hug from someone, or just want to talk face to face, PM me.

--Fantine

Mairwen
July 11th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Weaverz
I've been using that Splenda stuff, much much better then nutrasuck.....:p

Splenda can be found in Diet Rite soda! And Diet Rite comes in an array of flavors!! :D :cool: :crazy: :elf: 8O :rolleyes: :D

Emerald Sky
July 11th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Mairwen

Splenda can be found in Diet Rite soda! And Diet Rite comes in an array of flavors!! :D :cool: :crazy: :elf: 8O :rolleyes: :D

Hmmm... what's in Splenda? Like - Nutrasweet is apartame, Sweet 'n Low is saccharine... what's Splenda?

Mairwen
July 11th, 2001, 04:53 PM
It's the closest thing you can get to real sugar. It's nothing like NutraSweet or SweetNLow.

evilslinkycat
July 11th, 2001, 04:57 PM

Hmmm... what's in Splenda? Like - Nutrasweet is apartame, Sweet 'n Low is saccharine... what's Splenda?

From the web site
Splenda is the only no calorie sweetener that is made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar. Splenda is the sweetening ingredient that is already used to sweeten many low calorie foods and beverages. Splenda is now available at your favorite store in two forms -- granular, which measures and pours like sugar, as well as in packets to add to your favorite beverages.

the URL is http://www.sucralose.com/

its good stuff, no icky aftertaste either
:D

loopy
July 11th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Everyone--- Love ya all!! :D:D:D:D ::hugs!::

Yvonne/MystyPines: I hear ya. Yvonne, my "honey" was mustard--sick, I know, but it worked. And then of course sometimes swallowing 60 laxatives a night. I still can't swallow any pills now because I gag too much, not even aspirin.

Mairwen-- Tangerine is the best! :D

Mairwen
July 11th, 2001, 06:38 PM
No! No! Red Raspberry!!

Semele
July 11th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Glad you started this Eve!!! What would you guys think about a walking program. it is easy enough we can all do it even if we start out at five minutes a day. I know we can't all walk together physically, but we can be together in spirit!! Also we can get on here and tell everyone when we have finished our walk for the day. It will be an encouragement to us all I think. Even if someone isn't interested in losing weight it is a healthy hobby and I hear it gets to be a necessity for your sanity once you get started. We could all start with five or ten minutes and progress together as a group! Of course we will be checking up on each other and may post...Hey Eve did you walk yet??? No??? Well get your butt going and we will see you in ten minutes!!" What do you guys think? Any takers???

I'll be first
Semele

evilslinkycat
July 11th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Semele
Glad you started this Eve!!! What would you guys think about a walking program. it is easy enough we can all do it even if we start out at five minutes a day.

Hmmm... that would work count me in!:cool:

loopy
July 11th, 2001, 07:15 PM
I think a walking program is a great idea! I'm in. :D

No way--tangerine beats red rasberry any day. :p

Semele
July 11th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Ok so we are in...who is up for starting tonight? The sooner the better I think!

Semele
July 11th, 2001, 07:19 PM
In fact i think I will start a new thread called the walking thread where we can all report our progress!

Emerald Sky
July 12th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Hey Mol!

Could we get a new forum for weight loss / excersise? Pretty please? :) Semele, pull your strings! :p

evilslinkycat
July 13th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Hi all:p
Anyway I came across a few recipies with essentail oils to use that they say will help toning up and all that. Any one want to see them? I can post them up here if there are any takers...

MystyPines
July 13th, 2001, 11:10 AM
My MysticWicks Friends,

I feel so depressed about this weight situation and had a glimmer of hope when this thread was opened. But at this moment, I have hit bottom again. A lot of people say it is me who feels this way, and that people around me don't care about my weight then why is it:

A secretary in the corporate department of my law firm walked by me today and said: "it is nice to see you dressed like a woman for a change." I was so hurt, I just laughed it off, and said: "well, I embarassed of my weight so I wear my husbands clothing because they are big and baggy, she said: "Oh, I couldn't even wear my husband's clothes, they would fall off of me."

Is it me? Maybe I deserve to be treated like a 2nd class citizen because I am fat. I have to say I have hit rock bottom. I just ran down stairs to the variety store in my building and purchased a package of diuretics and laxatives, I am seriously considering this last ditch effort.....I feel hopeless.

Emerald Sky
July 13th, 2001, 11:32 AM
WHAT A B**CH!!! MystyPines, I know how badly that must've hurt, but try to ignore her! What a rude thing for someone to say!!! No, you do not deserve to be treated like a second class citizen.

Please, hang in there. Don't do anything rash! I have to wear maternity clothes b/c nothing else fits... and to top it off, all the maternity clothes are winter clothes, so everyone comes by my desk asking, "are you cold or something?" :( I too, try to laugh it off and just tell them, "No, I'm just fat. Nothing else fits."

People are so insensitive sometimes. The people who are real friends accept you for who you are no matter what you look like, and we all love you!

Hang in there babe! We're all in this together.

evilslinkycat
July 13th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MystyPines
My MysticWicks Friends,

A secretary in the corporate department of my law firm walked by me today and said: "it is nice to see you dressed like a woman for a change." I was so hurt, I just laughed it off, and said: "well, I embarassed of my weight so I wear my husbands clothing because they are big and baggy, she said: "Oh, I couldn't even wear my husband's clothes, they would fall off of me."

Is it me? Maybe I deserve to be treated like a 2nd class citizen because I am fat. I have to say I have hit rock bottom. I just ran down stairs to the variety store in my building and purchased a package of diuretics and laxatives, I am seriously considering this last ditch effort.....I feel hopeless.

{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Ohhh!!! that is just so worng for ANYONE to say something like that!!!:mad: I know its easy to say 'don't listen to her'... I know that it will not take away the pain of what she said to you. but DON"T listen to her!
We are here for you, we don't care about what you wiegh or if you wear your hubbies cloths. (I will admit that I do that to)
WE are your friends and love you for who you are!
No one should be treated like that, don't put blame on yourself for her acting like a you know what:p
Nothing is hopeless along as you have friends around you....

:heartthro :heartthro :heartthro

MystyPines
July 13th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Thank you Emerald Sky,

I too know the feeling of wearing winter clothes in the summer. I finally was able to steal a few of my husband's collared polo shirts, and have been wearing his Kaki pants for almost a year now. It is so hard for me to go from being anorexic to being obese. I guess I feel embarassed when people look at me and think what the heck happened to her. That is a big reason why I do not go out in public other than coming to the office to work. I have not taken the laxatives, but I did try a diuretic pill. So far, I don't feel anything, not sure what it is going to do for me other than lose some water weight. I just want to feel good about myself again, I want to feel attractive, I want to feel confidence. I had all these things when I was thin. I have been dieting for 3 weeks now (atkins diet) and I decided to get on the scale only to find out I am heavier than I thought to begin with (172 lbs.) This S*cks!

Yvonne Belisle
July 13th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Don't you dare give up!!! You are worth it and if you give up you are giving up on yourself. So what if she can't fit her husbands clothes does that make her better NO IT DOES NOT!!!!! I have read your posts and I don't know what your body looks like but I can tell you that I think you look beautiful. The body is a shell it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as you are healthy and happy with it. Since we know you are not then we know it's something you need to fix. You don't need to fix it because you are ugly you aren't so that doesn't apply! You need to fix it because it is making you miserable and unhappy. If you are unhappy you are not healthy. You need to make these healthier changes in your life for you, not me, not your husband, not your coworkers, YOU that is the only person who's opinion really matters! I have met large women who are comfortable in their bodies and the weight doesn't matter to them. They are beautiful doesn't matter if there is enough fabric in one of their dresses to make my kids a play tent they are happy and healthier because of it. What is important about what your coworker said is that you looked so different and pretty that she commented on it! She thought you looked good! Think about it she wasn't putting down what you chose to wear when she said it she was putting down the mask you have hidden that beautiful woman that I have met here behind. Come out more often in clothes, how you carry yourself excetera. Big women can be sexy even while they work to become smaller on the outside just let the woman you know is inside show to all the world. They are right your size doesn't matter to the people that care about you the only reason they may be upset by it is that they see how much it is hurting you inside.

Yvonne Belisle
July 13th, 2001, 02:06 PM
MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT! If you need to remind yourself of that tape it to your fridge and mirror.

MystyPines
July 13th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone!

I guess I just didn't need to hear this woman make her comments to me today. I am starting my 2-week vacation at 5 p.m. today and heading to Disneyworld with my husband and boys (10 and 5). I even planned to eat healthy on my vacation, salads, lots of fluids, lots of swimming (if I get the courage to even put a 1 piece suit on). I will miss everyone at MysticWicks! 1 night from MysticWicks and I go through withdrawal, imagine 2 weeks without the gang! Ugh!

I want to thank all of you again. You have been so good to me.

See you in 2 weeks!

loopy
July 13th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Have FUN!! :D:D:D We will miss you when you go!! :D

Lavender
July 16th, 2001, 02:09 AM
I really find it hard not to snack in the evenings...especially when I'm on the computer like right now. :) I bought a big bag of cherries & raspberries & a bag of baby carrots. That's what I'm munching on right now.

Here's some herbal helpfuls...

Red peppers & other hot spices help raise our metabolic rate by as much as 25 percent. Even adding a teaspoon of red pepper sauce & mustard can help.

Chickweed is known to help with losing weight. You can eat this raw or steamed by itself or mixed in with other salad greens.

Pineapples contains an ingredient called bromelain that helps digest protiens & fats.

Evening primrose seeds contain tryptophan which is a main ingredient in serotonin which tells your brain you're full. The oil is good too but does not contain as much trpotphan as the seeds.

I'm not advocating running out & eat only these things but you might want to try adding them to your regular foods.

big hugs!

evilslinkycat
July 16th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Thanks Wildchild

:D might have to check those out.... hmmmmm.

Yvonne Belisle
July 16th, 2001, 08:57 AM
I'm trying to add more veggies and more zing (flavor) to our foods. So far so good I think my favorite seasoning right now is a Tandori mix. It's great with pasta veggies and ground beef. We also added the spice to the water we were boiling the pasta in. It was great the pasta had this wonderful subtle flavor to it. I'm going to be trying this with othe spices.

loopy
July 17th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Darn scale, all discouraging and mocking. I cast you away!

WildSpirit
July 20th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Well, I figured I'd bounce in here and read/share ideas.

Here are some of my ideas...

Working Out: You can do simple, easy workouts without having to kill yourself. First off, sit-ups are not good. They enlarge your ab muscles and only make you look bigger. A good brisk walk once a day for about 30 minutes should do you just fine. Cardiovascular machines are helpful. However, I don't really trust these ab-machines...

Eating: Many good ideas have been shared here. Low-carb is a good way to go, mainly because carbs tend to be converted into fat very quickly. a small amount of proteins are good, because they produce amino acids that help you. I suggest sticking to fruits and vegetables, and poultry meats are best.

That's all I absolutely know, other than what's been said here...but I'll continue to share all the ideas and motivation I can give, mainly because I know how hard it is.

Ever since I was about 10 or 11, I pretty much plunged into a state of depression. I got to the point where I liked nobody, trusted nobody, and pretty much didn't see the point in living. But then I found the Old Religion. It has brought me much more happiness and love..and is a stepping stone on my path toward a better physical state.

Another word to the wise (that has been said):

Don't let ANYONE try to sway your opinion. People can be vain, cruel, and simply moronic. Self-esteem and willpower are the keys to your success here. Exploit the things that you DO like about yourself. Me, for example, I like to write. So I write good pieces of literature, look back on my works, and get personal praise from it. Use this praise to channel forth positive effects. Also, if you get angry, channel that anger into positive energy to help you.

loopy
July 21st, 2001, 02:53 PM
Since we're sharing exercise tips... :)

I've found that if I put on my Cats video while I'm jogging, I'll get so caught up in watching the dancing that I'll run sometimes 20-30 minutes more than I was planning to. :D

WildSpirit
July 21st, 2001, 03:00 PM
Well, one of the ideas I'm considering trying is pulling out some of my CDs and start doing self-coreography to music. The only problem is...most of my music might be too slow...

loopy
July 21st, 2001, 03:14 PM
Wildspirit-- I once learned the "How Funky is your Chicken" routine from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." :D And I spent some time trying to learn some Cats, but my stupid VCR taped over half of it with Dawson's Creek a few years ago. :sigh:

Most of my music is too slow too. I find myself turning on the bubblegum pop just to stay awake sometimes. :rolleyes:

WildSpirit
July 21st, 2001, 08:30 PM
Well, most of my stuff is from Loreena McKennitt, Enya, R. Carlos Nakai, and Clannad. So I'm even worse off...lol.

loopy
July 21st, 2001, 08:59 PM
I hear ya. Grab a radio. :)

deadlymaiden
July 22nd, 2001, 03:24 AM
This is a slightly different message board system than I am used to, but i will put in my comment on the thread anyways.. hopefully it works.

The difference between a smoking addiction ( or drug or alcohol) and a food addiction, is that while you can swear off tobacco or drugs or alcohol for life, you can't swear off food. It is difficult for people with food addictions to overcome thier problems with food, simply because we can't live without it!! In my mind anyways, I can see how totally avoiding the object of your addiction may be easier than having to deal with it in controlled proportions. The temptation is easier to deal with if there is no contact at all.

In regards to other comments, for general weight loss, i have to agree that eating only when you are hungry and stopping when you are full is the way to stay at a healthy wieght. I know my problem is I tend to eat when i am bored, or preoccupied so i don't notice how much i am actually eating. I am a "nibbler", you know, you have a book open in front of you and just tend to keep reaching for things to crunch on, not because you are hungry, just as a habit . Or worse, if you were from a family where one had to clean their plate before being allowed to leave the table, you may feel guilty for not eatting everything in front of you! Restaurants these days have huge servings, yet we feel compelled to finish them rather than sending back food that we paid for, knowing it will be "wasted" in the trash. My mother is famous for saying things like "you'd better eat this up, i don't want to throw it out". I have to keep telling myself it's ok to toss out leftovers!! Composting them might even help the earth!

~maiden~

EasternPriest
July 22nd, 2001, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by deadlymaiden

Or worse, if you were from a family where one had to clean their plate before being allowed to leave the table, you may feel guilty for not eatting everything in front of you!

~maiden~

A slightly different version of that when I was growing up. What we didn't at at one meal, became our next. Also had the nuns supervising the trash cans at school...lol

EasternPriest
July 22nd, 2001, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by deadlymaiden
This is a slightly different message board system than I am used to, but i will put in my comment on the thread anyways.. hopefully it works.

~maiden~

And, welcome to Mystickwicks dear maiden:)

deadlymaiden
July 22nd, 2001, 03:54 AM
thank you.

so far i like this message board much better than other's I have gone to. Much more reality based.

I know nun's are supposed to be thrify, but guarding trash cans??

Another thought on the healthy/weight loss issue:

I was reading that for those who nibble, or pick at food even after they are full, they are actually looking for something to satisfy a craving or desire that they didn't find from the meal. This is why often, eating fresh vegatables and fruits may satify us more. The variety or taste, texture and colour offered by veggies and fruit are more varied than carbos such as breads, potatoes, and pastas and the similarities in meats and things "smothered in gravy". Adding many colours, like red and yellow bell peppers, bright green brocolli etc helps to satisfy us visually, while using herbs and spices helps to give extra flavour, which gives a more complex taste and satisfies other cravings. Adding things like a squirt of lemon juice not only helps to put a zesty taste to veggies, it adds a bit more vitamin C to your meal which may also help your body absorb much needed iron and other minerals.

People who crave dessert, are often looking for that change from the blandness of the main course. Dessert is usually a change in colour, texture and taste altoghter from the main meal.

After reading this article, I thought about how I can eat Japanese food and be totally full and satisfied for hours, I think because the presentation is colourful, the textures vary and each taste is well represented, whether it is ginger or vinager each bite is very distinct yet simple. And I love the carfully peeled orange that is dessert!

However, as far as the unthinking nibbling goes, the only thing I have found that can get me out of crunching something is sipping water. If i have to read a not too stimulating book, or have a paper to write, I drink buckets worth of water!!

Alright.. I have rambled on enough.

~maiden~

WildSpirit
July 22nd, 2001, 09:56 AM
Yah...I've noticed that if you have something you are doing while you eat, it tends to allow you to fill up faster (gives your brain enough time to react). That's why I usually watch TV, read, or just talk while I'm eating. It seems to help...

And my Dollywood (yes, I know, it's sad) glass is constantly going back for refills...LOL.

WildSpirit
July 22nd, 2001, 03:09 PM
Okay...PB officially rocks. lol.

I've found the coolest new snack! PB and banana!

Just take a banana (or half, depending on how much you want to eat), slice it into small slices (about 1/8 of an inch thick or thinner), and put a small dab of PB on each slice. It's PERFECT! Also, if you want a good lunch recipe, take this same idea, but put the PB on bread, and you just might want to add a touch of margarine to help it go down (my grandmother uses mayo. YUK!). Apples are good with PB too! PB is pretty much good with anything!!! lol

loopy
July 22nd, 2001, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by WildSpirit
PB is pretty much good with anything!!! lol

Ooh, I disagree. I have no idea how people can put it on celery and carrots. Blech. :D

BUt yay! on the pb&b sandwiches and the apples. Yum. Peanut butter is addictive.

Yvonne Belisle
July 22nd, 2001, 06:03 PM
Welcome to Mystic Wicks. I hope to see you around a lot more I think you will like it here. I am trying to combine different flavors to make our food more flavorfull and add many more veggies to cut down on veggies but I am a compulsive over eater. I get bored, stressed, hurt, ....... and I eat. I do it when reading to but I am finding that the same solution for my smoking works for that too I can normally be found with a toothpick in my mouth moving it from one side to the other. It works sort of.

WildSpirit
July 22nd, 2001, 07:38 PM
Well, like I said, if I occupy myself while eating, I tend to eat less. Like tonight for dinner...I had a PB&B sandwich with a handfull of tortilla chips and water. Pretty simple (but that's cause mom and dad are busy canning). But I can normally cut down a decent amount on my meals if I take more time to eat.

Armitage
July 26th, 2001, 02:38 AM
Eating normally isn't a problem if you get exercise proportionately. It's when you start gorging without moderation that it becomes a problem. No amount of exercise can reverse the eating of a pound of greasy whatever for dinner.

Mairwen
July 26th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by WildSpirit
Okay...PB officially rocks. lol.

I've found the coolest new snack! PB and banana!

ONe of the things I craved when I was carrying my first child was peanut butter, banana and sweet pickle sandwiches. Don't curl your face up like that, they're good!! You put creamy pnut butter on a slice of bread. Slice the bananas up like quarters and place them on the pnut butter. Then add sweet pickles to taste. :D

Sometimes an added slice of cheese is good too ....

Emerald Sky
July 27th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Actually, it sounds good to me. :) When we were younger we used to eat peanutbutter and my mom's homemade pickle relish on sandwhiches. Mom used to add mayonnaise too, but I didn't care for that much.

Mairwen
July 27th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Belly sdance tomorrow!! WHOOHOO!@

WildSpirit
July 27th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Well, today I've decided to kick up my exercise routine some. So I'm doubling the Tae-Bo workouts, and adding some basic crunches/push-ups. I'm going to try that for awhile and see how it works.

loopy
August 8th, 2001, 03:51 PM
How's that working for ya, WildSpirit? :)

SageMoon
August 14th, 2001, 11:08 PM
:rolleyes: I need to shed some pounds and stop smoking. I use to be one who weighed in at 1o2 and now , well we won't say :( I need to shape up my son say to me every time I light up a smoke " Mom I smell cancer" It's starting to make me think. Out of the mouths of babes, lol . We have a clinic that does Reiki here in town does anyone know much about this topic?I know it it has to do with Life Force energy.
Blessed Be,
Sage Moon ;)

loopy
August 14th, 2001, 11:45 PM
Sage Moon-- welcome to the fold! :D There's a topic on Reiki in "The Healthy Pagan forum, I think. :)

aquinnah
August 15th, 2001, 03:07 PM
As a recovering drug addict, I empathize with everyone struggling with compulsive eating issues. Sometimes I eat to cover feelings, deal with stress, loneliness, etc., and I know that it's my disease (addiction) creeping in. What has helped me with my addiction has been the support of 12-step fellowship - try Overeaters Anonymous or Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous. Check your phone book, community health center, or newspaper listings for meeting information. As a pagan, I was put off by what I feared was a religious slant to these groups, but I have found that they are spiritual in nature, and not affiliated with any one religion. (when we close meetings with the Serenity Prayer, I often start with "Goddess" - and I am not alone - I've met many recovering pagans). This year I took up yoga and find it much easier to stick to because it feels good. Yoga has tremendous physical and emotional benefits, and as I felt better I began to feel better about myself. It was much easier to make healthy choices about what to eat. Try your local library or video store and be gentle with yourselves.

Bright Blessings - and by the way - anybody take a good look at the Venus of Willendorf lately - now there's a REAL woman!

Shy Hawk
August 22nd, 2001, 03:38 PM
Well...I go on again and off again....I'm hoping I keep with it this time.
Right now I do some jogging daily...and I'm thinking about adding some Tae Bo to keep it interesting. (Plus I need those kicks, I'm a martial artist)
Hopefully this works out.

I got about....*cough* 100 pounds to lose, if not more. Not exaggerating. Hopefully I do. (crosses fingers)

sarhea
August 28th, 2001, 11:29 PM
:) alright, this is very likely to be rambly, so please bear with me.

I am so glad to see this thread. I've been gone for a few weeks from the boards and what a timely post to see.

I've been overweight a good portion of my life. I have been on several(ok, many) different diets etc, all of which worked well for awhile....now, I'm what my doctor termed "morbidly obese"(what a lovely term heh)and I'm old enough to start having some health problems as a direct result, so I'm all for joining in here.*Smile*

I do want to add my two cents worth about why I'm overweight though. I've done a lot of soul searching in the past couple of months about it. When I found my spiritual path, two years ago, I took charge of my life, because before that, I didn't think I had any control over my life(silly me lol). Since then I've made very conscious efforts to make sure that I knew why I felt the way I did and to do my best to work through them. Ive come a very very long way, but my weight has been a HUGE stumbling block for me, and I think I've decided that what I need to do, for me, and this may not be the case for anyone else, is, instead of thinking"I'll be ok when I can look like that", I need to learn how to think"I'm ok, so I will do this for myself" I can say a lot of really good things about myself. There are a lot of things I like about myself, but I still feel that, because of my weight, I am, maybe, "less than" other people. So, count me in on the healthy eating and I'll work on the "let's like me a little more" part.

Thanks for listening to this long, drawnout spiel lol
~Sar

Shy Hawk
August 28th, 2001, 11:35 PM
Hey, I've been jogging a mile every day for a week now....I feel...uh...good about it.

Yes...I too have heard the term morbidly obese.....I'm like.."what, if I was 13 feet tall I'd be the perfect weight. you're just against short people"

GreenDawn
March 29th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Since it is now spring and the weather is better- I have started back at my 2 mile route during my lunch break at work.

whiteowl
January 7th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Just some advice that is working for me and my husband...
I have found that if I concentrate on the HEALTHY part of eating and don't worry too much about lowfat, I do much better. I eat lost of fresh vegetables and fruits. I eat fish as much as possible and soy occasionally (though I did switch to soy milk).
I have found that limiting partially hydrogenated fats (on a doctor's advice-not good for your heart) has given us more energy and made us feel healthier. But I want to stress that I don't eliminate all fats - I just read food packages and find things that do not contain partially hydrogenated oils.
I still eat ice cream, etc. and don't obsess over food. I try to follow the new nutrition guidelines and include lots of fiber - (oatmeal with brown sugar for breakfast is great and the fiber helps your body to naturally flush out fats.)

Just my 2 cents.. hope someone finds it helpful

Carickah
January 26th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Hi all.

Man, this thread kinda hits home. Let me tell ya'll something that is gonna make most of you feel better about your size. First off, I am a man, so I can't accurately compare dress sizes(sorry, girls<grin>). But what I can tell you is that I have been heavy all my life and have only been a decent weight of the two years I was in the Army and now, 15 years later, I have balloned to a whopping 500 pounds.

I don't believe that I overeat. In fact, I have had portions prepared for me so that I wouldn't eat too much. But even with a reduced fat/reduced calorie/reduced carb diet and moderate exercise, I have not ever weighed less than 250 pound or worn smaller than a size 44(at my thinnest). Currently my waist measures approximately 70 inches.

I have been to doctors and they say that I do not have a gland problem. They say I should be on medication that will make my body do disgusting things if I stray but a little from their diets. They talk about surgery to modify my stomach. My knees are bad and I have a few health problems that are beginning to become worse due to my weight.

Now, I have had a few bouts with depression over this, and the full course of fad diets, but I have never had any of the "common" eating disorders. I am starting to get desperate about my weight, but most insurance companies don't cover weight loss and the doctors I have seen don't want to try to find out why I am like this. So. I come to join you all and see what we can find out with fellowship and magick, is such has any bearing. Thanks for hearing me.

Carickah

DreamSpell333
March 3rd, 2003, 02:44 PM
I need to lose weight as well. I was going to lose weight almost 15 months ago,but then found out i was pregnant. Now that hannah is 6 months old, i really want to get into shape now. I exercise when i can, but my big problem is not eating. I'll clean all day,take care of her. i never have time to eat breakfast. I eat lunch and dinner. sometimes i dont even eat lunch,i'll snack once or twice during the day when i'm busy, but i still dont seem to be losing weight. my pants seem looser but i dont have a scale,and i dont think i look any better in the mirror.
I'm also dealing with my iud,which i'm having removed next week. I have been spotting for almost 2 months. I dont know if that has kept me from losing weight, i know that I haven't had as much energy (somedays) after hannah was born,i went to the gym twice a week, but now with me not working, i cant afford to go,i did really enjoy it though. i would work out for awhile,and then hit the pool or jacuzzi to relax. i think i might try and save up some money for a couple months. as soon as spring comes i plan on going for walks. :)

I dont eat fat free foods, i tried slim fast,but stopped. I drink 1% milk,and i've just stopped drinking soda and am now drinking carbonated water (that i get at walmart fairly cheap) I know weight loss is gradual so i'm hoping it'll work for me :)

good luck to us all

bb dreamspell

Regulus
March 29th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Yeah, Woo Hoo, wait, needs an intro before a woo hoo. Ok, Well, i have always been a hefty guy. Grew up in the south so it wasn't really looked down apon, everyone thought i would just play on the football team and stuff like that. Well darned if i didn't turn out to be a nerd and a bookworm instead. Ended up ballooning up to 345lbs at 5'9". That was only six months ago. Thus far i have dropped thirty pounds and i'm down to a better jeans fittin 315lbs. I gots a bit to go till i reach my goal of 250lbs-275lbs but i concider the progress thus far grounds for a Woo Hoo. Kinda feels weird, i've never actually lost weight. I've always gained it. Bout time i figure. so once again Woo Hoo. :thumbsup:

izzy
May 23rd, 2003, 03:42 AM
Wow I think this great, everyone is encourageing one another and I could use some of that encourgment too! :huddle:
I decided three months ago that I had gained TOO much weight. So I went to Academy got a great deal on an excersice bike and got to work! Since I have now lost 25 pounds YAY 4 ME! :dancy:
I want to loose another 20 by my birthday which is Aug. 1st So instead of just sitting on my but while watching tv I excercise 30 to 45 min at least 3 to 4 times a week I recently added crunches and weight lifting to my routine I will weigh 135 again!

Good luck to you all!

Hearthwitch
June 12th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Hey everyone. Has anyone known anyone or have you taken the diet pill Xenical? Anybody out there know anything about gastric bypass surgery. I have tried every diet and exercise plan known to man, not really much of an exaggeration there. I have been diagonsed with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) so I know losing weight is *chuckle* a losing battle. My newest Doc recommended either medication or the surgery. I hate taking medication and surgery terrifies. Can anyone put my mind at ease? Or maybe someone else is in the same boat. My blood pressure has been high and my Doc put me on medicaiton for that, but due to family history of heart disease and diabetes she wants this weight off ASAP (like I don't!). So any suggestions?

izzy
June 17th, 2003, 02:17 AM
no I have not heard of it though maube someone else has, I have heard of Xenadrine and that is was helping me ALOT!!!! though because of it's cost I have not taken it about two months now. It really did help me.

If you don't feel comfortable with surgery then by all means don't do it, do what feels right for YOU!

good luck-
Izzy

MoonAnu
July 3rd, 2003, 12:27 AM
Has anyone known anyone or have you taken the diet pill Xenical?

Actually, HearthWitch, I have. One of my friends took Xenical and while she was losing weight at a semi-rapid pace, she also was losing control of her bowels all together! Even at work she'd have to rush to the bathroom! I definately do not recommend taking it. :nonono:

One of the best diet pills I've ever tried was Phentermine. You only take one in the morning, and it completely destroys your appetite. :) Now it does not contain ephedra, it's merely an appetite supressant. If you're addicted to caffeine/ephedrine like I am, I recommend two Metabolife in the morning. They're not great at supressing your appetite however and I certainly do not mean to endorse ephedra as a healthy means to lose weight. If you have a heart condition or are all ready seriously underweight, ephedra could be deadly in high doses. :sick:

Your best bet is Phentermine which you can actually purchase over the computer without a prescription. It may be cheaper with one, but if you're not clinically obese your doctor will most likely not prescribe it to you.

I've always heard Meridia is helpful but I've never taken it. :)

Also I'd like to add that I was deeply touched by many of the posts in this thread. I've had an eating disorder (anorexia, bulimia, and now a purging anoretic) for years now off and on, and I've yet to fully recover. Someday, I believe I will though. :)

- Alex

Hearthwitch
July 3rd, 2003, 05:39 PM
Alex, first let me say that you will recover. It is a hard road but if you have faith in yourself it will happen. Considering my current weight one would never guess that i was at one time anorexic. As A teenager I was started in a downward spiral. With a lot of help and love I overcame this problem. If you need to talk let me know.
I will look into the Phentermine. I have heard horror stories lately of people on the Xenical. Someone told me he had to wear diapers as you can not control yourself, that would make a hermit out of me. That would not be healthy.
Hearthwitch

Aldrick
July 4th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Love, I have no doubt that we will both overcome this. I say both because I shall be with you every step of the way (and probably pushing you on afew occasions ;) Lol)
I love you. More then you will ever know.

Hearthwitch
July 4th, 2003, 07:24 PM
It is so great to see how everyone is so supportive. Weight issues are so difficult and society never makes it easier for anyone. We all need all the help we can get!!

MoonAnu
July 4th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Alex, first let me say that you will recover. It is a hard road but if you have faith in yourself it will happen. Considering my current weight one would never guess that i was at one time anorexic. As A teenager I was started in a downward spiral. With a lot of help and love I overcame this problem. If you need to talk let me know.
I will look into the Phentermine. I have heard horror stories lately of people on the Xenical. Someone told me he had to wear diapers as you can not control yourself, that would make a hermit out of me. That would not be healthy.
Hearthwitch

Thank you for being supportive, :) and I'm sorry to hear you too suffered from an eating disorder. I'm always amazed at the number of people that at one point have suffered from one, it baffles me.

Take care.
- Alex

Love, I have no doubt that we will both overcome this. I say both because I shall be with you every step of the way (and probably pushing you on afew occasions Lol)
I love you. More then you will ever know.

I know. :tongueout: You've put up with me for so long I have no doubt in my mind that you'll stick around to defeat this obstacle as well. I love you. :loveduv:

- "Mia Angelita" ;)

FeatherGoblinglimmer
September 16th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Hey. I'm glad i found this thread, i have been posting on this site for a while but i hadn't noticed it. I ahve always been overweight, even as a kid.I wasconstantly picked on at school, thunder thighs, tree trunk legs, that kinda thing. I have low self esteem. :huh: :bigredblu :bigredblu At the moment i weigh about 235lbs. I fit into a size 20- 22. I want to lose some weight, not bothered at how much i lose, as long as i get down to at least a size 14. I am fed up with being this fat. I hate not being able to wear clothes that i can find in a normal high street store. I ahve to go to places like evans( a plus size shop). There are places that sell the occasional bigger size but you have to really scour places to find them. Plus I can't really afford to pay for expensive clothes like i need to get. My boyfriend is being supporting but it's not enough.He says he doesn't care what i weigh he loves me for who i am and i love him for all the support he gives me.(not the only reason i love him). I have a one year old little girl i stay home to look after so I can't really go out of my way to exercise. I am on benefits so i can't afford to go to the gym. I can't swim so that rules that out. I have a fear of deep water like swimming pools, my b/f is teaching me to though, i can float now but it whill be a while till i get over my fear completely. I go into town a lot(2-3 times a week) and I used to get the bus there and back. Now i walk into town and if i'm not to tired or have too much weight in Millies stroller i walk back, if not i get the bus.I try to walk wherever else i need to go now.I have a three bedroomed house that i need to keep clean and tidy as well as looking after my daughter and usually when i have done everything i need to do it's late afternoon.

I am calorie counting and have taken my total calorie count down to 1100 calories a day. I don't drink a lot , i never had. But when i do now it is water or squash( having a kid it is on plentiful supply)
I have lost about 5lbs but i am on a plateau now, i havn't lost any weight in about 2 months. The last couple of weeks i have found really hard and have been slipping into bad habits. I have been really down and when i am down i eat. I binge as well sometimes.I am starting a new again this week. If anyone has any ideas to further help me that will fit in with my lifestyle and my time constraints and my financial restraints please do. I am stuck for ideas. :bigredblu

WandererInGray
September 17th, 2003, 08:41 AM
*hugs for Feather*
You're doing a good job given all you've got to work against right now. :) How about making a play date with your daughter every afternoon in the backyard? Even if you only get some activity for 15 minutes a day, that will go a long way to helping you out.

As for getting over the plateau, I wouldn't recommend cutting out anymore calories. Instead, try to up your water intake and even just an extra half hour of excercising a week. Remember too that just when you start to get discouraged...that's when the weight starts coming off if you stick with it. (corny, huh? :rolleyes:)

*hugs* Feel free to come by our "Making the Committment" thread as well, we try to keep people's spirits up there, and someone else may have some more suggestions for you!

FeatherGoblinglimmer
September 17th, 2003, 11:23 AM
*hugs for Feather*
You're doing a good job given all you've got to work against right now. :) How about making a play date with your daughter every afternoon in the backyard? Even if you only get some activity for 15 minutes a day, that will go a long way to helping you out.

As for getting over the plateau, I wouldn't recommend cutting out anymore calories. Instead, try to up your water intake and even just an extra half hour of excercising a week. Remember too that just when you start to get discouraged...that's when the weight starts coming off if you stick with it. (corny, huh? :rolleyes:)

*hugs* Feel free to come by our "Making the Committment" thread as well, we try to keep people's spirits up there, and someone else may have some more suggestions for you!
Thanx Wandererhttp://www.mysticwicks.com/images/smilies2/blush.gif (http://www.mysticwicks.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies#). I wish i could go out and play with her in the back yard, but the grass is taller than i am, and there is so much junk out there left from whoever lived here last.The council was meant to come clean it up and sort it out. There is piles of broken glass, corrugated iron. all sorts. I am slowly trying to up my water intake but not usually drinking much it's taking a while to get myself used to it.I shall pop by the making the commitment thread when i have a little more time.Thanx so much.

blewrayne
September 17th, 2003, 11:30 AM
I am a plus size diva....trying to lose weight. I have been a chubbie kid all my 29 years of life..Yesterday I started up again, on not a DIET but to exercise more. My eatting habits are okay, they do need to be improved A LOT!!! But the thing is if I eat, and don't exercise I am not going to lose weight...But if i exercise and eat healthy, I will begin to lose weight. It's a matter of tricking my brain. So for anyone whom needs a chum to talk with about weight issues, I am here for you all....Remember baby steps...

WandererInGray
September 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
*smiles* How about the front yard? Or is there a park nearby you can drive to? Is it possible you can hire some local kids to clean and mow the yard? Pay them in cookies or something cheap if you like to bake. :)

FeatherGoblinglimmer
September 18th, 2003, 09:51 AM
I know that sounded like an excuse but it wasn't. The front yard is the same. The local kids are all teenagers who stumble back home drunk in the middle of the night. I havn't seen any that i could even think about asking.

There is a park near me that i will be taking Milly too when i have time. I am stealing time online while she is asleep in between housework.( putting the washing away).It's not the greatest. Just a small field really but it is better than nothing.

WandererInGray
September 18th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Naw, I didn't think it was an excuse, I was just tossing out options. ;) The park is a great idea. Remember that housework counts as exercise too if you do it with energy and consistantly!

missjudy
October 3rd, 2003, 05:13 PM
I have found that if you quit drinking soda, you could lose weight also. I went from regular soda to diet soda to water!! I used to get major headaches from quitting cold turkey. I needed the caffine. But going to diet sodas, it just wasnt the same. So dropping down in weight gradually finally gave me the will power to just drink water. And so now I never go anywhere without it. And sugarless gum always helps between meals!!!

FeatherGoblinglimmer
October 16th, 2003, 07:41 AM
I have finally got out of that seven lb plateau that i was in...Yay me..I have been stuck weighing between 231 and 238 lbs for the past 5 months. I weighed myself this morning an i weighed 229!!!!! YAY!¨!!!!

MoonDust
January 14th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I donít know if this one has been done already, but itís one that my sister and I love to do. My sister just loves it because it tastes good. She does not need to lose weight

Either a Wok or a large pan work well for this. I prefer a wok simply because of the way the food is cooked. Veggies stay crisp and meet cooks well.

Youíll need.

Pam cooking spray (cuts back on the fat)
1lb of chicken breast
2 large (3 small) bell peppers ĖI like getting 3 small and mixing up colors :D
Ĺ red onion
salt
pepper
1- 2 tbl spn Oyster sauce

Cut chicken breast into strips or chunks.
Peppers & onion cut in to strips

Spray pan and set over med. heat. Toss in chicken and 1 tbl spoon of oyster sauce, salt & pepper to taste (I like to add it in while the meat is cooking so it blends in better) allow to cook down until chicken is Ĺ way done. Toss in peppers and onions. Stir/toss to cover chicken, peppers, & onion with sauce. If itís a bit too dry for you add the rest of the sauce, but one tablespoon should be enough.

Serve over Ĺ cup of white rice and pig out!
Chickenís all protein, thereís next to no sauce so itís not smothered. And all those veggies? Yum!

MoonDust
January 14th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I have finally got out of that seven lb plateau that i was in...Yay me..I have been stuck weighing between 231 and 238 lbs for the past 5 months. I weighed myself this morning an i weighed 229!!!!! YAY!¨!!!!
:bouncybob
Congrats

MoonChild78
January 14th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Here is my veggie chilli recipe that got some attention in another thread, It is pretty low fat unless you put some salsa con casa on it (Which I do)

1 thing of salsa
1 can of sliced olives
1 thing of jalopanos
1 large green pepper
1 medium red pepper
1 small cerlery stalk
2 cans beans (any kind you like)
1 packet of taco seasoning mix
and rice to your desired thickness

just throw it all together until it's done.

HEAVENSINFUL1
February 6th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Truth Nature Knowledge The (tnk)this Is But A Explosive Form The T=truth
N=nature But The "k" Is Not Knowlege. When You Enter Into This Form To Light The Darkness You Find Yourself In A Maze Of Thought And Debate, The Darkness Is A Place Of Rest, A Place To Shade Ones Eyes From The Intenseness Of The Beams Of Light That Come From Those Who Seek The Truth And The Knowledge Of The Darkness, For Those Who Have The Eyes To See In The Dark Are Full Of The True K Of Life. Just A Litle Herbal Note, To Those Who Want To Blind Us.
Sampson Tc

Bainidhe Dub
February 6th, 2004, 12:28 PM
*smiles* My jeans are getting a bit baggy and beginning to slide down my hips a bit more than they used to a few weeks ago... I've been eating a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast around 7:30 @ work, then having soup or something from the local deli for lunch, (no more snacking after work!! YAY!!!!) and then half the dinner that my parents have been eating.

Not much exercise, except that since I got my $20/week raise, I've used it to either go shopping (a lot of walking) or go to the book store. I do a lot of the errands for work too, so I'm going to the post office, the store, the bank, etc. constantly. This is good, because I don't do too much at home, besides housework.

So.. YAY me for having saggy jeans. (I hate scales).

Cielamara
March 28th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Pluses:
I have a small-medium frame, and I'm five feet and an inch, so I don't look QUITE as heavy as I might with a larger frame.
I have pretty strong muscles for a little female, and if given entertainment, I don't mind working out.
Problems:
I eat when I'm unhappy.
I also eat when I'm bored.
I gravitate toward carbs, because they're both easier on my stomach and they're easier on my braces.
My mom criticizes me and makes me feel self-conscious, because she lost weight and she's always bragging about it, and then she and everyone else looks at me like, "And when are you going to do something about how awful you look..."
I don't want to be compared to my mom any more than I already am. -_-
I get picked on a LOT.

Help? I'd really like to be able to like myself better, at least a little better, by the time that SE Meet-up rolls around...and I'd like to look pretty for it, even though I'm not really looking to impress anyone...

Lady Raven
March 28th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I was wondering what you meant by "like yourself a little better"? Are you trying to lose weight to like yourself, or are you trying to just like yourself? I ask this because I think there is a big difference between trying to change the outside to feel good on the inside and trying to change the inside to feel good on the outside. I know this may seem like one big riddle, but the thing is, the Goddess says that if 'what thou seekest thy findest not within thee, then thou shalt never find it without.' Beauty begins on the inside and migrates out to the outside where it can shine forth on the world. People can become beautiful in their own eyes by changing their inner thoughts about what they see in the mirror. When the inner dialogue changes from " eww, who is *that* woman in the mirror?!" to "oOoOoO, who *is* that woman in the mirror?" they become the goddess of beauty they are without losing a single pound.

I do, however, think it is okay to lose weight to feel better, that is what I am trying to do myself! The thing that is not okay is when you feel like crap, and then begin to 'negatively motivate' yourself ... that type of motivation cuts you down before you even begin ... not like you're doing that or anything. The thing that has worked for me is to love the fat girl. Once you love the fat girl it becomes easier to treat yourself the way you deserve! You begin taking the actions to change your outside to reflect your inside. Love keeps you going. Oh no, I've begun to ramble, so let me just get to my pennies of opinion: Start with loving yourself ... your body is not who you are, it is a shell that houses your soul. You need to be able to be *alone* with your *self* in love because at the end of the day, it isn't the people who have ridiculed or congratulated you that you need to answer to, it is *yourself*. All those people who are looking at you, fat or skinny, cannot be with you 24/7 to keep you happy or hurting, only *you* and *your thoughts* can do that. So learn to love yourself. Once you have learned to change your thoughts to love, actions will follow and these actions are exercise and nutritious eating, plus the plain ol’ pampering humans need ;) Well those are my pennies, hopefully it made sense :)

-raven :huddle:

Chibi-Fallon
March 28th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Pluses:
I have a small-medium frame, and I'm five feet and an inch, so I don't look QUITE as heavy as I might with a larger frame.

You're me... but an inch taller. :lol: Well that and I'm a *weakling*. But I'm trying to work on that. Especially with my gf who can bench press me (135 lbs) and I can barely pick up 20lbs. 8O
That and looking decent in the swimsuit I have to wear in Texas of all places in... 4 days. I really let the time get away from me on this one. But I have been doing yoga, so I'm really bendy... pudgey but bendy.

Isil Darkmoon
April 3rd, 2004, 04:44 PM
Sign me up... I was fairly thin all through high school, on a normal place for a 5'7" female. I had preventative TMJ jaw surgery before my senior year, got the stomach flu in the hospitial, and of course between the two lost a LOT of weight. I dropped to just about 100 pounds--WAY too skinny--and actually had to put weight back on. (That was fun times!) The next year I was thin but not overly so (size 4-6/115) but my metabolism was still trying to balance itself. I went away to college, same thing.

That next summer, though, I worked a summer job with weird, weird hours and it thew my eating habits WAY off. That, on top of everything else, caused me to develop reactive hypoglycemia, which I still have to this day. But there was a large metabolism shift involved, and I've steadily put on 10-20 pounds a year since then. I'm now up to a size 12/14 and horribly displeased about it.

I t ried the south beach diet for a while... it worked pretty well. I fell off of it when I got sick, though. I switched from regular to diet soda, during that phase. All was well and good until after about 6 months later I developed a horrible sensitivity to aspertame, and it gave me severe migranes.

I've been walking a little bit more... getting a puppy will do that... but every time I try to start more exercize than that, it lasts about 2 weeks and then I fall off it, get frustrated, and give up.

Arg.

Cielamara
April 4th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Isil,
I've an idea. Seeing as we talk on a regular basis, why don't you and I team up and help counsel one another? I want to be at least a size twelve by the time I go to college, smaller if I can make it!

Isil Darkmoon
April 4th, 2004, 10:11 PM
I like the sound of that, Ciel :)

Morr
April 5th, 2004, 06:43 AM
I've decided I'm gonna start working out too..
But I'm scared that I'll get addicted to it, seeing as I have an eating disorder and I'm hell bent on losing weight..
::sigh::

I am 5'2", and I weigh about 118lbs (more or less).. I've been really shifting between weights for years now due to my disorder - from 125lbs, to 100 lbs, back to 115lbs, down to 108lbs, and now im on the 118lbs..
Sometimes I eat normally.. I mostly dont.. I eat sometimes one or two (max) meals a day... on good days I'll eat 2.5 meals... on bad days I'll eat a snack or half a meal...

I really want to learn how to eat 3 healthy meals a day (with no snacks in between), and excercise in a none obsessive way..
:lol: this is going to be a tough one..

But I'm willing to try....
Any tips?

Kitfox
April 5th, 2004, 08:02 PM
This is a wonderful thread! I happened to come across it and thought it was the most perfect thing ever!

I'm a seventeen year old, 5'4 and 180 pounds. I don't look heavy because I have broad shoulders and am built very stocky, but I definitly have a middle. I was a horrible asthmatic when I was younger and learned to hate anything having to do with excersize. I hate running but I do enjoy dancing and kickboxing. I try to walk with my puppy every day, but juggling a job, highschool, and my singing is very difficult.

I'm a boredom eater, but I'm trying very hard to limit myself to meals with no snacking. I've lost about five pounds in the last month with help from a drug called Metaformin, which I was put on to help with sugar and to regulate my periods but has an added bonus of low to no appetite. I'm very high risk for type 1 diabetes so I'm commited to eating healthy.

I actually don't eat junk food, I just snack so much and don't excersize. However, I am improving.

I would like to lose twenty pounds over the next four months but would like to lose forty by the time I go to college. My goal weight is 135-140 pounds.

One trick I've found to work quite well is to carry a water bottle with you everywhere. I drink so much water that I feel full all the time. Plus, it truely does help your skin, mine's never been clearer.

I'm so glad that others know what I'm trying to accomplish and how hard it is.

Cielamara
April 6th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Water is good, water is very good!
I personally think that, when every other caffeine addict is drinking Pepsi and you're drinking nice, clear, soothing, purifying water, you're likely to feel much better.
Unless you've just broken up with your boyfriend, your cat is sick, you're sick, you're on your period, and you had a fight with your mom. Then, only caffeine makes you better! ^_^

Eldawen
April 19th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I do not eat low-fat food - I eat butter, rather than reduced fat margerine, I drink full fat milk (which is still only 4% fat, btw), I eat meat, cakes (home made!) pasta, potatoes......etc. I do not eat anything that states it is 'diet' or reduced fat or reduced calories.

I don't even think about it [eating right]. If I'm hungry, I'll eat what I like, then forget about food and go back to doing what I was doing in the first place. I even forget to eat if I'm particularly engrossed in a book, work, tv or something.

I guess my point (look, I will get around to it eventually!) is probably the minute you're thinking 'snack attack' - go DO something - the filing, faxing, washing up, ironing, scrub the kitchen floor - and take your mind off it. Plus you get a bit of excercise at the same time!

This is SO exactly how I lost weight. A few years ago I got rather sick and must have gained some 20-30lbs. Recently, though, without even thinking about it, I lost nearly all the weight that I gained. That's right, I must have lost about 20 or so pounds, and I didn't even try. How? My mind was completely diverted. While my I was absorbed in something else, I hardly ate the junk that I usually ate - if I got hungry, I ate, but I didn't overdo it - I ate whatever amount was needed to fulfill my hunger. I didn't pig out. BUT these were perfectly normal meals - no "diet", "low-carb", "low-fat" meals. I didn't change my diet, but rather, I didn't concentrate on it either. If you're hungry, eat. Otherwise, keep yourself busy. I didn't even do much exercising, I merely lived my simple computer-nerdish life. You get my point.

Eldawen
April 19th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Might I also suggest that [referring to my previous post] this isn't quite the healthiest way of losing weight, but I simply found it most sufficient in my weight-lost past. Aside from this, I am Hypogloxemic and suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; this was simply the same as before I lost weight. I've noticed, though, that after I lost that weight, which was by unconsciously following a very poor diet, might I say that I am now Anemic - low source of Iron in my blood stream. This piles onto the previous illnesses, further causing me to become weak. Merely a suggestion to my previous post. This may not apply to all; just do what suits you best.

arienh
April 22nd, 2004, 04:58 AM
I just exercised for 20 minutes!!! :woot:

Don't know if this is the right thread, but I just had to tell somebody!!!

Isil Darkmoon
April 22nd, 2004, 01:02 PM
I've done something physical *three days in a row*! For me, this is huge.

Three days ago, I did a lot of gardening and hauled around 40lb bags of soil.
Two days ago, I fixed my dryer... took 5 hours of wrestling with the heavy drum, that's a workout!
Yesterday I went hiking through the woods for about 45 minutes

:) YAY ME

blugirrl1
April 23rd, 2004, 09:57 AM
congrats arienh, and Isi. :)
today makes my 3rd day working out. and i am starting to try and eat healthier again. yeah for me!!

frigga
June 23rd, 2004, 10:43 PM
Ok, so I got pretty upset today. Weight has never been a problem for me until now, after the birth of my 2nd son. I'm leaving for a trip in two weeks and had to buy a new swim suit, again, this has never been a big issue. I tried it on and whoa, what happened? Just to make sure I wasn't to hard on myself, I asked my husband what he thought. Mind you he's incredibly honest, to honest at times! He said I look "fine". "Fine?" I asked. "Just fine." he said. Holy man, I never got that from anyone when I was in a bathing suit! Big wake up call as to how I've been living!
Over a year after the birth and I still can't seem to shed 10-15 "Baby fat" pounds. And I don't gain weight well, if it was evenly distributed, fine, no biggy, but egad why ONLY my tummy and inner thighs?
So we'll see what Pilates, some Yoga, and lots of greens for the next few weeks does. I lost about 30 lbs last year that way, but couldn't seem to shed the last few BLAH!
Any advice is more than welcome!

Garden of Eden
July 17th, 2004, 07:42 PM
It's strange that... how the weight only gathers in certain places... has something to do with hormones, I think.

Well, I'm going to greece in 6 weeks... so my toning begins now (I'm not really overweight, just sort of soft in places). I just wish I knew what to do... :nuhuh:

Carickah
July 28th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Well, I was noticing that I posted here over a year and a half ago, and at that time my weight was 500 pounds and I had a waist size of 70inches. I am currently going through a divorce, but am losing weight left and right. I don't actually have my current weight, but would estimate I am in the high 300s now. My waist size is down to a 64. That weight lose has only really come to me in the last 3 or 4 months. I have not taken any new medications, had no surgery, or anything else that I can pinpoint, except that I am no longer cooking for anyone but myself. As an aside, my apartment stays cleaned up, as I am the only one there to make a mess, so I know when to get it picked up and that it hasn't just sat there because everyone else was just plain too lazy or didn't care.

Carickah

fireswimmer
August 10th, 2004, 07:09 AM
It's strange that... how the weight only gathers in certain places... has something to do with hormones, I think.

Well, I'm going to greece in 6 weeks... so my toning begins now (I'm not really overweight, just sort of soft in places). I just wish I knew what to do... :nuhuh:

for toning and exercise there are a ton of options. Many are being discussed in the different weight loss threads on this board.

I am going back to the basics. When I discovered how hard I found the warm up for the martial arts class I started, I decided to go old school. I am swimming when it is warm enough to do so. That is nto often enough, POUT POUT! In addition to that here is what I am trying to do every day. So far I am succeeding.

I am trying to do 50 sit ups every day. I normally do these at two separate times. The first set is about 30. I count how many I can do before stopping and taking three slow good deep breaths. My max has been 15. It does not take me long to get the first 30 done. Three weeks ago I could not get all the way up and could only do about 4 partial crunches.

I do jumping jacks. I do 2 sets of 50 rapid jumping jacks. I clap my hands over my head when I do these. The first set of jumping jacks comes after the sit ups. The second set of jumping jacks comes after the second set of sit ups. Normally there is 30 minutes to an hour between the two sets.

I also try to do 100 jump ropes a day. I do nto care if I miss the rope, the exercise is the arms and the jumping. Eventually I am hoping that my coordination will improve.

I work nights and I do not go to bed until these are done. Sometimes it is hard to squeeze them out, but I know I will not do them after I get up.

I do a very intense class twice a week. That does nto sound like something you are interested in doing to simply tone up. For toning push ups are also good. I am HORRIBLE at push ups, and the warm up includes about 70 of them. I just talked to a coach who suggested that I plant my feet well and practice standing with a wall. Keep my body in a good plank position and lean into the wall. When I can do ten of those well choose a lower elevation. For example a kitchen counter, just be careful to plant your feet well! Get to the point of doing ten well at that height and work my way down. These are going to be added to the daily routine. He uses bleachers for his students, and I am thinking about trying the stairs. I will tell you how this works for me.

You can try a video tape. I love the belly dancing ones, and pilaes looks good. I have read the book that came with my video tape but have not gotten into it as pf yet. I wanted more of the aerobics. I get a lot of the stretching in class as welll.

You can also try doing arm curls with cans, or jugs of milk.

I hope that some of this helped.

I am not seeing immediate loss of inches, but I have only been doing this for three weeks, and I am fat enough that I am not sure how well I would notice it. I wear elastic in my waist bands. I am noticing that exercising is nto giving me energy rather than simply taking it away, and I have much better breath control. Three weeks ago I was winded after 10 or 20 jumping jacks. Now I can really feel the last ten in the set of fifty.

Fireswimmer

fireswimmer
August 10th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Well, I was noticing that I posted here over a year and a half ago, and at that time my weight was 500 pounds and I had a waist size of 70inches. care.
Carickah

:dancy: :dancy: I am so proud of you!!!!!!!!!! :hailmol:

Garden of Eden
August 10th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks Fireswimmer, your advice is much appreciated! Sounds good to me...

Well, I've gone from 130 to 123 pounds this week... I'm happy :D I took a loooong walk today (in the rain, but under an umbrella) and felt great afterwards...

fireswimmer
August 12th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks Fireswimmer, your advice is much appreciated! Sounds good to me...

Well, I've gone from 130 to 123 pounds this week... I'm happy :D I took a loooong walk today (in the rain, but under an umbrella) and felt great afterwards...

You are welcome. I was in the store buying the jump rope and the aisle made me think. There is a piece of equipment for everything. There is a jump rope that counts how many times you have jumped, the fat grams you have burnt and the calories you have burnt. There is a band for everything you can think of... etc.

I stopped and thought about what I have and what I am currently using. I have a jump rope that was under three dollars. I have 2 hand weights of different sizes that came from different garage sales, and that is it. There is so much that you can do using your own body.

Congrats on the weight loss and the walk!

Fireswimmer

Fairyelf
October 2nd, 2004, 09:25 PM
OH my !!
I cant even begin to tell you the benefits of Jumproping!!
Its inexpensive and its a total body work out! super cardio.
I recommend this!!

fireswimmer
October 3rd, 2004, 11:14 PM
OH my !!
I recommend this!!

Thank you! I have not done it as much as I should. The floor shakes when I do it in the living room! I am slowly trying to get better at it. Eventually I am hoping to learn some coordination. I also went back to class on Saterday after being sick for a week. It was a light class because someone was testing for their next sash. That worked for me. I also stayed for the Tai Chi after that.

Fireswimmer

blackroseivy
June 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM
May I check in here once in a while? Viseux's thread requires a gym, & that is a no-way-just-not-possible for me. However, I have lost around 25 lbs. thus far from my heaviest 2 years ago, & I continue recently to keep my weight under 190, a thing of which I am very proud as it has been at least 4 years, perhaps 5, since I've done this!

blackroseivy
June 14th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Oh, BTW: I walk every single day for 1/2 hr. (it's over a mile) practically without fail.

Rayzer
August 26th, 2005, 06:22 PM
OH my !!
I recommend this!!
I was the double dutch champ of my elementary school. I'd always stop climbing on the playstructure if they brought out the double dutch ropes.

Rayzer
August 26th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I am so exhausted. I just finished exercising for 85 minutes straight. Next time I go to the gym will someone PLEASE remind me to take a bottle of H2O?

alanr1
October 22nd, 2005, 09:58 PM
Hey using these types of medications who are telling that they can loose the weight within month or some few days is I think not really very good. Because they might be harmful to us so please take care of these medications. I heard about Xenical pills (http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3729-s-XENICAL.aspx)i think this will also be helpful in this condition when you want to burn some calories. Actually this is the shortest way to loose the weight so most of us are using this.

MysticWitch
March 23rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Im really discouraged today. I have been exercising like a crazy lady and im not loosing weight. :boing:

Rune Song
March 25th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Mystic Witch, sometimes you hit a plateau, don't get discouraged.

HeavensHope
April 23rd, 2006, 11:00 AM
well everyone's body is built differently so the diet and exercise for each person varies.

I'm not great with the dieting..it normally spirals into anorexia..so, I just try to eat healthy (no counting calories..that's how the trouble starts). Try to cut down on fried food and sugary stuff. Chocolate is actually good for you, dark chocolate though, the milk stuff has too much sugar.

Keep it balance get enough protien and fiber in. One of my ex was one of those hard body guys 6'2" 210lbs of solid muscle, his body fat was 10%. What he did was consume a lot of protien, he had those shakes, I cant remember what they're called but it's those things that body builders drink to help them bulk up. He leaned down first though, he sure ate a lot of tuna. I tried the same thing....boy was that a mistake...for guys it's great, but for woman who want to slim down..probably shouldnt try it. You end up getting big and bulking like a guy (eww).

People assume you have to work out hard all the time, it's not true. You just gotta pick the right excerise for each body part you wanna work on.

Jogging always helps me, I normally try to get in about 3-5 miles. I use free weights to work out my arms, I do crunches for my mid region and do squats and lunges for my rear and thigh area. But jogging is a good workout overall.

Dont forget to stretch.

If you wanna try something more fun, do pilates, taebo, or try belly dancing.

Now, if only I can get back into that routine.

arianrhods_daughter
April 25th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I only need to lose 11pounds but I really need to tone up especially my stomach, bum, and thighs and upper arms. Ive walked, run, swam, crunched, stretched, dieted, starved, nothing works for firming and toning up that area I also need to get HEAPS fitter because I'm thinking of joining the army, any advice?

Sothis*Crowfeather
April 26th, 2006, 02:05 AM
I want to lose about 5-10 pounds...I am actully pretty thin, but I could look just a bit better, hense the want. I've been at it for almost a month...slowly start building myself up by riding on the staionary bike for about fifteen minutes. Now I am up to about 30 minutes of bike riding almost every day. Riding the stationary bike for about 4 miles about two or three times a week. And a hundrend sit ups about three times a week...I think I am looking alittle fitter but I have only lost a single pound.

I've been watching what I eat...not nessary dieting but trying to not chose anything to fatty, cutting out a few sweets and comfort eatting.

I am not sure what gives...I am putting the effort in and havn't seen any benifts yet. :thumbsdow

Wolf_love
June 5th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I want to lose 12 pounds! I'll have to try a hypnosis weight loss link someone gave me today!
I just can't help myself with chocolate and icecream LOL. plus, my lunch....i feel so weak that i have to eat chocolate :(

Bandia
July 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Alright, I think I have to join you guys here....I'm having trouble FEELING fat, while not necessarily BEING fat. I was 235 lbs at age 17, but managed (hahaha) through starvation and overobsessing to drob down to 122 lbs in 8 months. At 5'9'', I really did feel great but got so sick of everyone telling me I was too skinny. Sooo, I put on some weight (up to 145) and had a child (pregnant at 18, gained up to 185) and have since yo-yoed between 145 and 165. I LOVE my sweets, but I have any one of any thing, I have a hard time making myself stop. I also have a back condition that kept me walking with a cain for 2 months and sometimes won't let me walk at all, so excersising must me gentle, and preferably something to strengthen my lack-of-back muscles. Any advice? I want to weight (consistantly) about 135-140, ideally, and REALLY need to tone my thighs, inner and outer...well my whole legs are kinda gross from misuse. I want to tone my upper belly (Ill keep the pooch, I think its a little sexy on women) but cant really do situps because of the strain. Arms are gross, and boy, is the chest getting saggy. I'm only an a cup, but I'm lacking in the perk/shape department. Help me, I'm only 21 and I feel gross, I want to feel sexy for my hubby and be a healthy role model for my little one....

SilentDreams
March 15th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I'm de-stickying this thread. It's had a good run up here but there hasn't been a new reply for a little over 8 months. If activity shoots up I'll re-sticky it. :)

PeatBog
March 15th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I'm about 30 lbs. overweight right now because I live with a person who eats food to satisfy their emotions, and it influences my eating habits. They have diabetes, and eat chocolate, and offer me unhealthy snacks all the time. I don't see what I can do about it, except move, which I can't afford to do right now.

SilentDreams
March 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
You can politely decline their offers to eat unhealthily. Now if they're the ones buying the food and you have little say, then there isn't much you can do except portion control. Try to find the lesser "bad" items and eat them instead of the horrid ones. Also try to cook things healthier. If they buy frozen french fries, bake them instead of frying them.

Also drink decent amounts of milk to give you some calcium and water to help flush your system of the bad stuff.