PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox Party?

Amethyst Rose
January 7th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Someone on a parenting mailing list I belong to just took her kids to a chicken pox party so they would contract the disease. When I questioned why she didn't get them vaccinated it was because she's catholic and vaccines often use cloned cells from aborted fetuses (is that true???) Also the vaccine is only good for 10 years and she'd rather they have life long imunuty.
But I just don't get why someone would subject their child to a disease....I mean, there's a vacine for a reason.....
Does anyone else see this as really stupid, or am I alone here?

Aine of the Fae
January 7th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Uhmmmm... No vaccines don't use cloned cells from aborted fetuses. For one thing, cloning humans is illegal in the US and I think Canada as well so the vaccines would be illegal. I can understand not wanting a vaccine, there are problems associated with vaccination however, that is not one of them.

However subjecting the child to the disease so they don't have to have a vaccine???? Hello! Would you give a child Polio so they didn't have to have the vaccine????? Chicken pox may seem like a minor childhood illness with the whole "you get it once you never get it again" thing, however, children suffer severe problems from it, with some kids even dying.

Also, even if you've had chicken pox as a child, you can still contract it as an adult, in a mutated and much more serious form. That's one shingles is and chicken pox can be fatal for adults. The vaccination was created for a reason. If you object to it don't give the child the vaccine, but don't purposely give them the disease to avoid it. It's doing the same thing as the vaccine with greater risk.

Amethyst Rose
January 7th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Thank you! I was beggining to think I was crazy because everyone on the list is congratulating her on her kids getting chicken pox, or wishing their kids would get it or bemoaning the fact that they were "forced into the whole vaccine regimine".

Aine of the Fae
January 7th, 2004, 09:09 PM
I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US you can't be forced into the vaccination routine. If you have valid concerns they can't make you give your child vaccinations. Its a cop out.

I may not like some of the side effects of the vaccinations, but I like the side effects of the diseases they prevent even less. Permanent disability, scarring and even death? I'll take the minor fever after vaccination thank you!

DebLipp
January 7th, 2004, 09:52 PM
My son is 13, so the vaccine wasn't around when he was of vaccination age. It's only around for what? 8 years or so? Something like that.

Chicken pox parties were common among parents before the vaccine. There is an optimal age to get chicken pox; about 4-6 is best. Younger and you have an infant suffering, which sucks. Older and you risk complications. The older you are when you first get chicken pox, the more likely you are to develop serious complications. Chicken pox at 5 prevents a more serious case of chicken pox at 15.

Vaccines push minor diseases into older populations where they cause more damage. There are already measles epidemics in colleges for this very reason. Vaccines make sense for diseases with high mortality rates like polio and pertussis, but for chicken pox, I really can't see it.

LittleRhiannon
January 7th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Ha, they came out with the vaccine when I HAD the pox. I remember being home sick watching it on the news. :lol:

*GrumpButt*
January 7th, 2004, 11:48 PM
My mother had me at a few parties lol.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1985 they didn't have the vac.
So I had to catch it the old fasion way, lol.
I can still rem. being covered in that PINK clamine lation, and being told not to scratch. "yeah right!".
If there was no vac. I WOULD have my daughter go to party. The syounger they get it the better. That sucks soooo bad, when your small like that you cant understand why you cant scratch the ithces lol.
I can still see my self walking down the hall way arms stretched out covered, I had them between my toes and on my scalp, every inch was covered! lol
I still have a small scar on my chin.....

asamananara
January 8th, 2004, 12:46 AM
I was also brought to a chicken pox party as a child, and would
do the same for my daughter, had she not contracted it casually.
Besides allowing you to time the disease for minimal impact,
it also creates an instant support group for the child- being sick
is never fun, especially when the symptoms affect a child's
appearance. Chicken pox often results in social ostrification,
even after the contaigious phase, which can be very disheartening
for a child. When she goes through it with several friends,
it's a less traumatic experience, even bringing the kids closer
through a shared hardship. Since these parties are usually
arranged during vacation time, it cuts down on school outbreaks
and allows the parents to have their resources available. For the
many, many people with an ethical objection to mass vacination,
these parties are a socially responsible and morally upright
alternative to leaving it up to chance.

lovemy1dane
January 8th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I have never heard of that in my life!! Is that a regional thing? (only done in certain parts of the country?) No disrespect intended folks. I am not saying it is a bad idea, I have just never heard of it. M y kids had it at 3 and 4 yrs (2 weeks apart) and my 12 yr old still has scars all over her face from it. (she cannot wait to wear make-up!!)

Gareth
January 8th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Geez, that was the thing to do when I was young.
I remember parents doing that in my nieghborhood when I was a kid.
Sounds cruel, but I understand the logic.

Lunacie
January 8th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Hummm, that's a new one for me too. I almost died from the chicken pox, I had it when I was about one year old.

Antoninus
January 8th, 2004, 09:27 PM
I can kind of see the wisdom in a chicken pox party. Everyone's infected at the same time so everyone gets better around the same time and that makes that community or group immune long enough for the diseases season to be over or for the disease to move on

Lai
January 8th, 2004, 10:14 PM
My mother tried to get me to contract chicken pox from other neighborhood kids when I was little, but for some reason I just never managed to get it no matter how much we wrestled and played. Still haven't gotten it, and don't have the vaccine. Maybe I'm just naturally immune? :lol:

Autumn
January 9th, 2004, 07:58 PM
I managed to get CP as a first grader...right on schedule...but I gave it to my 15yo sister who was quite sick as a result. My MIL took her kids to play anywhere she heard of a case and still, my husband managed to not get it till he was 12(very ill from it too)

now the thing about the viruses blows my mind, where in hades did she get THAT urban legend?

Autumn
January 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM
I managed to get CP as a first grader...right on schedule...but I gave it to my 15yo sister who was quite sick as a result. My MIL took her kids to play anywhere she heard of a case and still, my husband managed to not get it till he was 12(very ill from it too)

now the thing about the vaccines being made from fetal tissue blows my mind, where in hades did she get THAT urban legend?

fahawk
January 10th, 2004, 11:16 AM
So glad to see this subject brought up.
My story..when I was preg. with my fourth, my other 3 children all came down with chicken-pox..and I had not had them, caught them, I was 35, and extremely sick, preg., and it was hell. Besides being very scared for the baby I was carrying.
My whole view on chciken-pox changed!! All of us, no matter our age, were very ill.. and I do not view it as some harmless- get it over with disease anymore after that expereince!!
They tell me now, that the child I was preg. with is not immune, even though I was preg. at the time, when I had them. So she is now 6..and I do not know what to do, I would like to get the vaccine for her, but each time I ask her dr., they say wait.
I have alot of marks on my face, as I was covered with severe pox..and each of my children have some...it was not a fun time for any of us!
I agree, as I have a relative who contacted polio, before the vaccine was available..and life certainly could have been worlds different for this person..
anyway...thanks to all for sharing on this subject!! :)

Autumn
January 10th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Chicken pox can be damn dangerous...is there a reason they are reluctant to vax your six year old? she should be vaxed by the time she's 10...keep asking and pushing hon...

:hugz:

vulfsung
January 11th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Someone on a parenting mailing list I belong to just took her kids to a chicken pox party so they would contract the disease. When I questioned why she didn't get them vaccinated it was because she's catholic and vaccines often use cloned cells from aborted fetuses (is that true???) Also the vaccine is only good for 10 years and she'd rather they have life long imunuty.
But I just don't get why someone would subject their child to a disease....I mean, there's a vacine for a reason.....
Does anyone else see this as really stupid, or am I alone here?

My Husband and I made the choice to have our 3 year old vaccinated, simply because she suffers from eczema, and is a huge scratchy-octopuss already. So, we figured, instead of subjecting her to something that would make her even more miserable, we would vaccinate her. It also means that she has less chance of scarring from scratching the spots.

Acording to our pediatrician, it is a life long immunity-frankly, I hadn't read anything else for an immunity timeline on it(varivax that is). Also, it is grown in chicken eggs, like most vaccines-has your pediatrician asked if your child has reactions to eggs? This is why!

As for reasons to subject children as aopposed to vaccinating, many can't afford to vaccinate. Some places do not cover the vaccine(I'm in Canada and few provinces cover it under the regional health plan), and it is quite pricey. We were very lucky, and it was covered by Hubby's work health insurance. It also covered Prevnar and Menjugate, so we had her vaccinated for those as well.....

Blessings,
Wolfsong :floating:

Kes
January 11th, 2004, 10:15 AM
As far as I recall, they don't know yet how long the vaccine works or if it will require booster shots.

I do know, however, that it's only 70-90% effective. I plan on getting my children vaccinated and then trying to expose them to chicken pox, as well.

It's so, so much better to have it as a child. For some reason, people who get chicken pox after puberty suffer quite a bit more than people who get it as children. I don't quite know why that is, but it seems to be a lot worse.

Chicken pox for me actually wasn't that bad. I didn't have a whole lot of the sores, and the really horrible period of itching fever lasted less than a day. I just spent it on the couch covered in calamine lotion watching videos, so it wasn't so bad.

DayDreamer
January 12th, 2004, 03:19 PM
The chicken pox vaccine does NOT really prevent the child from getting the disease. Supposedly, it gives them a "less serious" case of it.

I did the chicken-pox party thing, but not intentionally. Mine ended up getting it at 7, 5 and 2 years old. The five year old had it the worst, but it still wasn't that bad at all.

I don't see the need for a vaccine for something as simple as chicken pox. The severe and life threatening cases of chicken pox among CHILDREN are incredibly rare. If mine hadn't had them by the age of 10, I probably would have tried to ensure that they DID get them soon.

mamagreenfire
January 13th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Hello!

I'm new around here but saw this thread, and it reminded me that "Mothering" magazine had an article on Chicken Pox parties in this issue. And some of your questions and concerns were addressed. So here it is:

"According to Merck & Co [producers of Varivax], each 0.5 mL does of Varivax contains the following: a minimum of 1,350 plaque-containing units (PFU) of Oka/Merck varicella virus, 25 mg of sucrose, 12.5 mg hydrolized gelatin, 3.2 mg sodium chloride, 0.5 mg monosodium L-glutamate, 0.45 mg sodium phosphate dibasic, 0.08 potassium phosphate monobasic, 0.08 mg potassium chloride; residual components of MRC-5 (cloned, aborted-fetus) cells including (guinea pig)DNA and protein ; and trace quantities of sodium phosphate monobasic, EDTA, newmycin and fetal bovine serum."

So, yes, Varivax does contain cloned, aborted fetus components. This is legal b/c (from what I remember), the rules that were passed allowed experimentation on existing cells at the time...something like that.

Also from the "Mothering" article:

"While the (Centers for Disease Control) estimates the vaccine to be 86 percent effective in children, a 2001 CDC study showed that that effectiveness might actually be as low as 40 percent."

This could, effectively, push outbreaks of this virus into young adulthood when the effects are much worse.

I'm not a huge advocate for non-vaccinating. My almost 2-year-old dd is up to date on all her vaccines except MMR (we're waiting til she is a bit older and out of flu season for that one) and Varivax--this one makes me nervous and I thought I'd share what I've recently found out with you...so this info is in the January/February 2004 issue of "Mothering" which is on the stands now.

Thanks!

docdoo
January 13th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Hi all,
Chicken pox parties...I remember them well. I was brought to several as a kid, (way before the vaccine) my sister got them but I, alas, only got 1 or 2 poxs. Needless to say the window of opportuinity had passed and my mother told me to stay away from anyone with the pox. It worked well as I was growing up but, when I had children of my own, the pox hit our house.

My sons were infected and, honestly, it was no big deal. We live in a rural area and Poison Ivy runs rampant on the farms here...it is something we contend with every summer. The pox, for my kids, was no worse than a bout of poison ivy. *However*, having had only several isolated pox's as a kid I was not immune.

I was 28 years old and sicker than I thought possible. I had a horrific fever, for which I was rushed to the emergency room. I believe I was also nauseated, though my biggest concern was that my entire face had swollen up to nearly twice its usual size. My fingers were covered in scaly, itchy pox. I was a literal mess, I cannot remember ever being as sick as I was at that time.

Needless to say, after having them as an adult, and seeing it compared to my childrens cases. I would, without a doubt, take them to a pox party if I could. The vaccine, for us, is a moot point since they have already had it and the vaccine was not available for us then. Because of this I havent researched this vaccine and its drawbacks or potency...anyway I can understand the pox parties of old because as an adult it was absolutely miserable.

Til next time,

Wildstar
January 13th, 2004, 01:04 PM
I think a pox party is good and should be done.

As has been mentioned, the vac will only postpone it to a later stage in life. A friend of mine got it at 22! How awful is that?? He has scars all over.

Getting it younger ensures a much less severe form of pox. Any scaring that does occur will fade away as the child grows, while scaring from an older case will not fade away as much!

I developed an immunity to pox through these parties without ever having contracted it myself. I went to so many parties, I just developed the immunity, I guess.

My grandmother, who I live with, came down with shingles. Now, shingles happens not because you didn't have chicken pox, but because you had a bad form of chicken pox. She had chicken pox at 15, and had a really really bad case of it (since the older you are, the more chances of a bad case, this is another reason to contract pox at an early age). The bad cases of chicken pox usually come back in the form of shingles, which is very painful and itchy. Shingles can also spread chicken pox

But, because of my immunity, I never caught it from her.

Since this vaccination is not a lifetime thing, in fact it is only a 10 year thing, it should be avoided unless the child cannot risk being sick.

Here's a nice simple list of all the bad things about the vac:

1) Lasts only 10 years. Who is going to remember to keep revaccinating? Uh, almost no one.
2) Getting pox later means scars wont fade away! You'll be in your adult life with un faded scars.
3) Older people who get pox have a larger chance of getting a bad case of it. This will cause more scarring, and an increased chance of shingles.
4) Shingles sucks.
5) Vac, in general, may cause worse strains. We don't need a worse strain of this.