PDA

View Full Version : How would you rather learn?

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:23 AM
-- Posted by mol on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

So, a question for fledglings. Would you rather learn straight from another Pagan or through books or a mixture of both?

Also, if we set up some classes...maybe through a mailing list or just through the forums here...would you participate?

mysticwicks
-- Posted by Toran on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

I would rather learn by asking questions and this kind of place is great for that. I am not even Pagan. I just want to learn about different things.

mysticwicks
- Posted by loveflower on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

This kind of thing is perfect for learning from each other. I use to go to another board that was hosted on a free server but it was shut down. I think it was actually a discrimination thing against Pagans. Anyway, since this is owned by Pagans I dont thin it will get shut down.

I would love a place to come and learn without having to just read and read static material. I like to ask questions.

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:24 AM
-- Posted by Rosabelle on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

i like looking through books and i have leart alot from these forums and others but i would definitely participate in lessons!!!!! :)
Rosabelle

mysticwicks
-- Posted by semele on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Any questions you have just ask. I am not saying we are experts...believe me, but we have tons of resources and are always studying ourselves. I think the group as a whole could learn a lot from each other. I have found that most of the things I am curious about, someone else is well versed in and vice versa. In fact I haven't really run into a problem yet finding someone who is willing to help in thier area of expertise.
Semele

mysticwicks
-- Posted by pagansoul on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Life before the Internet was very limited when it came down to getting answers to questions. My home town library didn't have much on non-standard religions. In my teenage years (70's) I got most of my ideas from Greek Mythology as to other ways to worship. I couldn't stand going to church and was allowed to op-out at 12. Thank the Goddess my parents were not church going people. :)
As for learning, I like to read at my own pace. I enjoy casual conversations on herbal remedies and teas. When something really starts to bother me I like to be able to post a message like...'has anyone hear anything about'...and wait for some answers.
The more I learn, the more I'm aware how little I know.

mysticwicks

That is exactly why I wanted a forum like this. Not just to talk...although chatting is fine...I wanted a place where people could learn from each other and grow spiritually.

Seeing everyone coming into this community really warms my soul. I thank you all very much!

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:25 AM
-- Posted by Captain LoveGood on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote: from mol on 7:02 pm on Jan. 29, 2001
That is exactly why I wanted a forum like this. Not just to talk...although chatting is fine...I wanted a place where people could learn from each other and grow spiritually.

Seeing everyone coming into this community really warms my soul. I thank you all very much!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other boards. But none as nice as this. You know that sites are going to try and copy you now.

mysticwicks

You know that sites are going to try and copy you now.[/quote]

Merry Meet and welcome. Personally I feel if someone tries to copy us it would be a compliment. The more the merrier. There should be as many resources like this as possible availiable to the public.

Besides we know our people will be loyal to us and help us all grow together....right!!! ;)
Semele

mysticwicks

Quote: from semele on 8:14 am on Jan. 30, 2001
You know that sites are going to try and copy you now.

Merry Meet and welcome. Personally I feel if someone tries to copy us it would be a compliment. The more the merrier. There should be as many resources like this as possible availiable to the public.

Besides we know our people will be loyal to us and help us all grow together....right!!! ;)
Semele[/quote]

So far I dont think you could find a better bunch of people. And when the community starts booming, (when word gets out and I actually start spreading the word more myself) I know that we will be the best community out there.

As my wife said. I think that a copy is fine...it is a compliment that we have built something that someone would want to copy. Besides, the site can be copied, but the community cannot!

Blessed Be.

mol
February 10th, 2001, 12:39 AM

-- Posted by Zephyr on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Yeah, it is much easier to learn by posting questions on forums like these. Also if anyone has any interesting information, why not post it on here as well?

love

Zephyr

-- Posted by Kiarda on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

I would like a combination of both. I have read many very good books and as I enjoy reading what better subject to read about. Being pagen you are constantly in a state of learning and who better to learn from than others such as yourself..I dont think any two pagens are directly alike in their thinking so, it is always refreshing to hear anothers opinion

I dont think any two pagens are directly alike in their thinking so, it is always refreshing to hear anothers opinion[/quote]

Welcome Kiarda! I agree with you very much. Not just pagans though. All people are different and all have so much to offer.
Semele

-- Posted by Rosabelle on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

you are DEFINITELY right Semele. all people are different and it is great to hear different people's views.
Rosabelle
xxxxxxxxxxx

So I guess my thoughts were right on. We do need a place like this that we can learn from. Email lists are great, but they get so overwhelming. And sometimes they are on a topic that you really dont want to read about. But here...you pick and choose. You decide what you read and post. Plus, its almost like coming to a cafe and hanging out with a bunch of friends. At least, that is the way I like to look at it.

-- Posted by Polaris on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

MM,
i would try to learn from amixture of both books and other pagans. it is good to have different opinions. if you set up classes here i would definately join. what would the classes be on? doesn't matter, i like to know about everything!
MP
Pol.

Quote: from Polaris on 7:30 am on Jan. 31, 2001
MM,
i would try to learn from amixture of both books and other pagans. it is good to have different opinions. if you set up classes here i would definately join. what would the classes be on? doesn't matter, i like to know about everything!
MP
Pol.

There is a Tarot class that has just started in the Tarot forum. So go join!!

-- Posted by Jazzmine on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

This is the perfect setting to learn from other pagan's or Witches. So far I have been on an icq list and there wasn't ever any others on line at the same time as I. I have learned most all I know so far from books and this is the first place I've gone to and actually gotten replies to things that I have posted. Right now I am going to go join that Tarot class. SEE YA THERE!

-- Posted by eaglewolf on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Book are excellent for resource and diversity, but do not compare to, nor can they replace interaction with others.

Just my opinion...

~ew

-- Posted by Keelz on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

I think this is a fantastic way for new Pagans to learn! A bit of text book and a lot of support from fellow Pagans will help me learn! Anyone willing to share 'best practise' will be greatly appreciated!

Quote: from Keelz on 2:44 pm on Feb. 4, 2001
I think this is a fantastic way for new Pagans to learn! A bit of text book and a lot of support from fellow Pagans will help me learn! Anyone willing to share 'best practise' will be greatly appreciated!

Greetings and welcome to the Community! Just jump right into the classes...we are open to everyone here! And I know that we can all learn from each other. Glad you have joined us!

Love and Light!

-- Posted by Witchbourne on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Dear mol !

Firstly i'm not sertain one can learn from another since it's all so diffrent for all...but awcourse somethings one can share with eachothers...hmm..but if there was someone who could learn me something more...then i would prefer a teacher in real life that i could look in the eyes...but yes for some i would think it could be a good idea to learn some ground things about Wicca and Paganism over the net...but i persenaly would not think it would work for me....but theres a good thought to it and for that i would say thank you....Blessed be*

*Witchbourne*

Quote: from Witchbourne on 7:58 am on Feb. 6, 2001
Dear mol !

Firstly i'm not sertain one can learn from another since it's all so diffrent for all...but awcourse somethings one can share with *Witchbourne*

Sure you can...every person on this Earth follows a different Path. How then could we learn from anyone? By taking pieces here and there and making them our own. Take a part of spell here...a piece of a ritual there...some knowledge gained of astrology somewhere else...piece it all together and weave it into your Path.

Blessings!

-- Posted by Witchbourne on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Yes i think that was wise...you are right...awcourse we can take a little bit here and a liitle bit there...and we can give in the same amount...yes i understand that...but somethings though i think needs to come from each ones inside.....thank you and may the light shinest upon you....

*Witchbourne*

-- Posted by pattyann on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Quote: from mol on 4:53 pm on Jan. 28, 2001
So, a question for fledglings. Would you rather learn straight from another Pagan or through books or a mixture of both?

Also, if we set up some classes...maybe through a mailing list or just through the forums here...would you participate?

I am so new to this I don't even know if I am a pagan..LOL I would love classes, I am going to join 2 you have now. Would also like to know if there is a recommended pre-novice recommended reading list.
pattyann

-- Posted by atlantis on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

i'd rather learn from a book but if a pagan wants to share and teach i wouldn't mind listening to them either

-- Posted by belladonna23 on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

I would rather learn from others than from books (that's why I am here....)
I've read several good books, but have learned so much more from reading posts at communities like these. Although, this is by far the best (and the friendliest) community I have been to!! :)

(Edited by belladonna23 at 12:51 pm on Feb. 7, 2001)

-- Posted by Kiarda on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Pattyann
There is a great book I would recommend called "Drawing down the moon" Plus I have many others..(which you can look over whenever you come over next for a visit) if you are interested. Also, you can check the library

Quote: from Witchbourne on 8:22 pm on Feb. 6, 2001
Yes i think that was wise...you are right...awcourse we can take a little bit here and a liitle bit there...and we can give in the same amount...yes i understand that...but somethings though i think needs to come from each ones inside.....thank you and may the light shinest upon you....

*Witchbourne*

And I agree with you...some things mus tcome from within. Every person has their own 'Mysteries' and those can only be discovered by that person.

Blessings.

Quote: from pattyann on 10:22 pm on Feb. 6, 2001

I am so new to this I don't even know if I am a pagan..LOL I would love classes, I am going to join 2 you have now. Would also like to know if there is a recommended pre-novice recommended reading list.
pattyann

Well, my first question to you would be...what are your interests...what do you want to learn about? If you just want to learn of Paganism..well..

That is a broad subject indeed. But I still could think of some good books for you. Before I do that...let me know your interests.

Blessings!

Quote: from belladonna23 on 12:48 pm on Feb. 7, 2001
I would rather learn from others than from books (that's why I am here....)
I've read several good books, but have learned so much more from reading posts at communities like these. Although, this is by far the best (and the friendliest) community I have been to!! :)

And we all are glad you are here as well. And I am happy that you have found a friendly place to learn...it is because of members like you that make this a warm and friendly place.

-- Posted by eaglewolf on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Books, the internet and other people are great places to start. It is impossible to gain factual and historical knowledge without them...

...but the best, and last, teacher will always be a combination of nature and you.

Food for thought...

~ew

spirit wind
May 8th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Ok, So did these classes ever really get going? And why has everyone posted on the same date and time?

Faeawyn
May 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM
These posts were very old...I think Mol or Semele posted them so we could see them :)
We have started classes here. They're in the Circle of Teaching section :hehehehe:

Kaylara
May 9th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Actually, these threads were moved from the first messageboard we had. We moved them over because we didn't want to lose the information. :D

Kaylara
May 9th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Ok, So did these classes ever really get going? And why has everyone posted on the same date and time?
Some of the classes did get going... Check around for them...

The posting the same date and time thing was one of the glitches of the old board.