PDA

View Full Version : The Poo's first tooth

morrigen
January 18th, 2004, 08:08 PM
My little 8 month old son (Affectionately nicknamed Poo, short for Poo-baby.) has cut his first tooth. He didn't seem bothered by it in the slightest, but what I'm wondering is...did most of you institute teeth-cleaning at this early point, or did you wait till later? And how did this work out for you and your child?
The parenting books are full of conflicting ideas, so I thought I'd ask for some real life opinions as well.
Thanks guys :floating:

Aine of the Fae
January 18th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Teeth cleaning as soon as they get that first tooth is the only way to go!

Valkie
January 18th, 2004, 09:39 PM
I agree. Nothing can replace teaching a child early that oral hygine is important. I neglected that point with my second and am currently going through hell with the dentist. In the past 3 weeks he's had 1 tooth pulled and 3 fillings done. Have more appointments to have others filled and he still has to have sealants done.

You don't want to use toothpaste this young. Just rubbing the gums and teeth with a damp cloth will do the trick.

Valerie

Vampy
January 19th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I agree also, all of my kids's teeth were brushed when they came in, you are lucky that he did not pitch a screaming hissy fit when he was cutting his tooth, I will never forget the migraines that I had from the screaming, I don't want to even think about all of the screaming that will be happening when my youngest reach the age of around 6 - 8 months.

Forever Yours,

morrigen
January 19th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Thanks guys. I think I agree with you. We're going to start the teeth-cleaning now, and hopefully this will develop into a nice habit for him, and he'll get used to it pretty quickly.
It's funny, he didn't seem to feel a thing as it was cutting through. He didn't drool or anything. I'm very glad about that :hehehehe: