PDA

View Full Version : Newbie u should all go look at....

Nillhachien
January 31st, 2004, 04:08 PM
My friends got this relaly groovy webbie called the cynical pagan.
Its bascially a load of stuff written to make fun of various aspects of paganism and wicca, but in a way thats funny to everyone.

the cynical pagan (http://www.thecynicalpagan.co.uk)

Heathen Dawn
January 31st, 2004, 04:21 PM
“The Cynical Pagan”? One of the reasons I became a pagan was to let go of the cynical worldview atheism offered me. The last thing I need is for cynicism to creep into my pagan path. I’ve glanced at the site. I’ll pass, thank you. Hardly recommendable for the aspiring pagan newbie.

AquariusWolf
January 31st, 2004, 04:35 PM
Funny? I didn't find it funny. Sorry, I am a little grouchy today. :(

mothwench
January 31st, 2004, 04:40 PM
:lol: i dint think it was too bad! your revenge spell cracked me up, for sure! :rotfl:
but i dint read the whole site.

Nillhachien
January 31st, 2004, 05:56 PM
you mean you didn't become a pagan instead of aithiest because you beleived in gods, it was just because you didn't like being cynical anymore?
Well thats a silly veiwpoint.

ops, forgot to mention, t'is Erynn here not nillhachien. Nillhachien is my housemate.

WandererInGray
January 31st, 2004, 05:59 PM
Nillhachien,

You're new here, so we'll forgo the "silly viewpoint" statement. Please take a look at the FAQs and be aware that Respect is the order of this community.

It is all right to disagree with someone else's viewpoint. But we do not belittle or make fun of other members for their difference of opinion.

Thank you and welcome to MysticWicks. :)

Edited to Add: Erynn, it would behoove you to sign in under your own name. You can get your housemate into difficulty posting with his log in.

Heathen Dawn
January 31st, 2004, 06:05 PM
you mean you didn't become a pagan instead of aithiest because you beleived in gods, it was just because you didn't like being cynical anymore?
Well thats a silly veiwpoint.

Part of the cynicism of the atheists is their disbelief in the Gods. Clear now? You just don’t know how cynicism can rankle. How it is, when you wax lyrical about the beauty of Nature, the atheist starts talking about parasites, bacteria, viruses, cancer and other such things. I don’t miss the cynicism of Internet Infidels Discussion Board one little bit.

Erynn
January 31st, 2004, 10:23 PM
Edited to Add: Erynn, it would behoove you to sign in under your own name. You can get your housemate into difficulty posting with his log in.

Hatchy is female, and sorry I hadn't intended to stay other than to say that short passage (being an ex aithist myself I simnply can't understand such a... strange... comment).

Had I intended it as an isnulting comment I'd have said ALOT worse, sorry if it was misnterpreted. Hatchy had left this place automaticaly signed in and I didn't realise it didn't have a guest posting feature until I saw it had used her username.
I tend to stay out of her forums out of fairness, it gets confusing.

Heathen Dawn, I'm well aware of what an "aithist" is, I have studdied religion for 7 years, on top of also being an ex aithist.

Maybe, perhapse, a compelte LACK of cynisism is just as "rankling" as compelte cynisism and sometimes a balence must be struck, as with all other things?

My site was, in fact, designed and implemented purely for the FAQ and was intended as a joke. It is a very simple expose of pagans themselves and their general behavour, in answer to amny sites you find which will go on and on about how ncie all the pagasn are - which, after you've been in the pagan community for two weeks, you'll notice isn't true. B :flamer: craft is more common than witchcraft.

The "fluffy" pagans are rife and makeing thousands of websites. The serious pagans sit there and look smug, and there equally as bad.
The pagans who go on about the joys and purity of nature insit all pagans are the same.
The Norse want blood.
They fight.

I find the whole thing hillarius!

Whats wrong with saying about microbes? Have you ever seen a faulsly covered Virus? It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Just because they kill us doesn't mean they arn't beautiful. A shark is beautiful. A lion is beautiful. Even a flea is fasinating. A headlouse under amicroscope is amazing. All will eat you if you look like lunch. Death ahppens.
Thats not cynisism, thats a veiwpoint that maintains humans are not the most important thing.

There is nothing wrong with cynisism, it's healthy. Without cynisism there is no common sence. Without common sence, there is only random stupoidity, which while fun, doesn't really get things done. Spiritualy or physicaly.

The site is purely a ballence for those places that go on about "an ye harm none do as ye will!" "No more the burning times!!!" "Waht you do coems back to you, multiplied by the power of three!" "Witches worship the goddess." and my personal favorite "Witches arn't christian, we can't worship the devil".

And people who seek spells before trying to help themselves.
In the hope that maybe after buringinsence, meditating over a crystal, trying soem herbs and seeing a reiki master, someone will actualy think to visit a docter.
Instead of getting a photo and hexing it, someone will actualy deal with the problem.
Instead of casting a love spell, someone will ask the obejct of their affections out.
AND, in the veinest of vein hopes.. people will learn the difference between wicca, witchcraft, and paganism. I hate being called a wiccan, it's such a clostrophobic word.

moonmorgan
February 4th, 2004, 06:19 PM
I found parts of it funny but I don't think the title suits it. Also, a little warning about it being a little harsh would be good. I don't think it's a site to recommend to newbies, although there are a few things they might need to know. If I were rating it, I'd give it a 6 out of 10

redthewitch75
February 17th, 2004, 02:49 AM
I took a look at the website and...
Quoteth the Cynical Pagan:
"I'm some sarcastic general can't-be-botherd-to-define-myself-pagan teenager, who hates vegitarians, thin people and humanity."

*Not from the website* cynical
adj : believing the worst of human nature and motives; having a sneering disbelief in e.g. selflessness of others*Not from the website*

Alrighty then.

Galaxia
February 17th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Ω

indigo rain
February 17th, 2004, 12:00 PM
well i for one laughed my butt off and am still reading it. as long as you don't take it for gospel, considering it is a bit of a spoof, it's great.

DebLipp
February 17th, 2004, 12:26 PM
The site author hasn't earned her cynicism. She criticizes others for being know-nothings, but the site is full of ignorance, misinformation, and errors. She acts smarter than others but cannot spell, and before anyone jumps all over me for criticizing spelling, let me say that a website is a publication. It is one thing to misspell on a message board or in chat -- that's conversation. But a misspelled website (and there are a dozen or more errors per page) is like publishing a magazine without spell-checking. It's lazy and stupid -- exactly the things the site author is criticizing in the Pagan community.

I enjoy cynicism in Paganism and in general -- I think the world needs to be viewed with a jaundiced eye from time to time. Hence I adore sites like Wicca for the Rest of Us. But this site simply hasn't earned the cred it's claiming.

Isil Darkmoon
March 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM
I can't say I'm fond of this site , having read every page on it. There's no *real* information. Cynicism and satire are at their best when they're witty but on target. Random smartarseness isn't all that funny. Actually that's not true. IN small doses it's quite amusing. For THAT MANY pages of all quips and nothing to sustain them, I didn't find it very amusing.

scaerie faerie
April 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM
I enjoy cynicism in Paganism and in general -- I think the world needs to be viewed with a jaundiced eye from time to time. Hence I adore sites like Wicca for the Rest of Us. But this site simply hasn't earned the cred it's claiming.

My viewpoint exactly. This is more like attempted cynicism to look intelligent, rather than cynicism born from a rational, intelligent look at things.

Oh, but I do understand finding certain groups of people annoying. For example, I find people who choose to state (without reason) that they hate 'vegitarians' without even bothering to do the research and thereby confirm that the word is actually 'vegetarian'.

Snore! :lol:

katiethompson
May 1st, 2004, 09:05 PM
well i for one laughed my butt off and am still reading it. as long as you don't take it for gospel, considering it is a bit of a spoof, it's great.
It's alright from time to time, but after a while it gets a bit annoying. I mean, your going to an all-pagan community plugging a website making fun of us. I dont understand. Everything deserves to have a bit of sense of humor to it but I find it just a bit rude considering that you are making fun of us yet you yourself look like you havent studied the path at all. Go study and then we might respect your humor. Making fun of a path does not equal wit. Seems all you you know is that we do spells and our people went through Witch Trials.

and i ESPECIALLY do NOT like the fact that you make "The Burning Times" look like a failed attempt to gain pity and respect among the masses because we suffered. The Holocaust. The Japanese. The homosexuals today are and were all targets of the masses because they are different. each suffered. just like them, we suffered too. Just because not as many died doesnt mean you can downgrade the event. We still died for our beliefs, like all of those groups did also..so yes it IS AS IMPORTANT. Many werent witches, but you CANT deny the fact that maybe some actually were. At any rate these people still died, and so you MUST have respect.

As far as im concerned and what ive seen at that i site i do NOT in ANY WAY appreciate your opinions and your cynicism. Have some respect for those of us who believe and those that died-even those that werent for the cause.

WolfWonderess
May 10th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Meh. It wasn't funny. It wasn't even offensive.

It was just plain annoying.

It can't really be a cynical satire when it lacks both.

Djiril
May 15th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Faerie Wicca - A bunch of Irish fluffies who took a book and turned it into a whole new path, without much regard for the actual myth surrounding fay, which would mark them as less predictable and more dangerous than demons.
Interesting. I always though they were gay Wiccans.

Djiril
May 16th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Ok, I just finished reading the site and I thought it was pretty funny. I liked the Runic Spell (http://www.thecynicalpagan.co.uk/). :lol:

scaerie faerie
May 16th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Meh. It wasn't funny. It wasn't even offensive.

It was just plain annoying.

It can't really be a cynical satire when it lacks both.

Agreed. It's more self-satirising.

Nightwind2
May 17th, 2004, 02:12 AM
I didn't get past the Gods and Goddesses, which was apparently put in "For No reason other than it appears Obligatory." Capitalization problems aside, I don't find this to be a good reason to include something. Indeed, that's the problem with so much information put up about Paganism on the web. people add information that they don't feel any real need to include. They just grab something that looks like content. And if the writer doesn't care, the final product suffers. In this case the result is yet another list of one sentence deity descriptions, which inevitably leads certain people to think that's all they need to know about a deity. Moreover, the attempt to be humorously cynical turns into blatantly untrue in places.

"Artemis: The Goddess with a bow and alot of pent-up frustration. She hated men, so was probably a lesbian who needed to get laid. "

She didn't hate men. She just wished to remain independant of them, and there's a tremendous difference. I don't sleep with women, does that mean I hate them? Second, hating men does not equal being a lesbian. Third, while the author apparently holds no value in adults keeping their virginity, is that any reason to mock another's choice? Fourth, lesbians get laid all the time, just not with men.

"Bridgid: The most loved of the old Goddesses, so much so she became Saint Bridged."

I'd like to see a citation on the fact. Somehow I doubt the Egyptians gave a damn about "most loved" Bridgid. And would "Saint Bridged" be the patron saint of bridges? or maybe of rivers with bridges going over them.

proofread, proofread, proofread.

charmedkisses1
May 17th, 2004, 03:34 AM
I thought it was funny :durrrr: But I only read a little, I'm sure some of it was mean, but their are tons of people here who have posted anti-Christian sites... so don't be a hypocrite. **runs away and hides**

Shanti
May 17th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Its entertainment I guess.

rain_fallen_tears
May 17th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Wouldn't go there again...not really my taste....I don't visit at 'anti-christan sites' either...such jokes seem to advertise ignorance and stupidity...

FeatherGoblinglimmer
May 17th, 2004, 06:26 AM
I for one see no problem with the site. It openly says on the intro page that it is a site making fun of paganism et al. It also says that it is not a learning site . It is humourous. It's not to be taken seriously. If it was they would not have the disclaimer on it. I certainly don't think it does any harm. Kudos to the makers. They at least must know the stuff behind what they were making fun of otherwise it would not be as funny:)

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
May 17th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Interesting. I always though they were gay Wiccans.

No that's Feri Wicca. Two different spellings.

Crispy
May 17th, 2004, 10:40 AM
After reading everyone's replies first, I finally looked at the site for myself.

Conclusion after reading most of it: not funny, just annoying. Certainly not a site I'll be bookmarking anytime soon.

Nightwind2
May 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I thought it was funny :durrrr: But I only read a little, I'm sure some of it was mean, but their are tons of people here who have posted anti-Christian sites... so don't be a hypocrite. **runs away and hides**

So because other people create innacurate sites, that now makes it OK to make more of them? If I found a site that approached Christianity the way this site approaches paganism, I would make the same objections.

Incidentally, I'd only be a hypocrite if I ran or supported anti-Christian websites, which I don't. Please look up the word hypocrite before you accuse another of being one.

Caliburn
May 17th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Hahm love those whywiccansuck.com clones. Theres so many of them these days. Holy Hell! I just turne dinto a fluffbunny for mentioning WWS!