PDA

View Full Version : What is an Aspect?

Litha
July 16th, 2001, 01:56 PM
What is an Aspect?

When one Planet contacts another by conjunction, sextile, square, trine, or opposition, it creates an Aspect. If you consider a 360 degree circle, a conjunction is when 2 (or more) Planets are 0 degrees apart, or conjunct. A sextile is a 60 degree angle, a square is a 90 degree angle, a trine is a 120 degree angle, and an opposition is a 180 degree angle. These major aspects were first noted by Ptolemy. Astrologers usually allow an orb of several degrees for an Aspect. A 3 degree orb is used when casting tite aspects. There are also *minor* aspects that are important; ie, the semisquare (45 degree angle), the sesquiquadrate (135 degrees), the inconjunct (150 degrees).

Krom
July 29th, 2001, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Litha
What is an Aspect?

When one Planet contacts another by conjunction, sextile, square, trine, or opposition, it creates an Aspect. If you consider a 360 degree circle, a conjunction is when 2 (or more) Planets are 0 degrees apart, or conjunct. A sextile is a 60 degree angle, a square is a 90 degree angle, a trine is a 120 degree angle, and an opposition is a 180 degree angle. These major aspects were first noted by Ptolemy. Astrologers usually allow an orb of several degrees for an Aspect. A 3 degree orb is used when casting tite aspects. There are also *minor* aspects that are important; ie, the semisquare (45 degree angle), the sesquiquadrate (135 degrees), the inconjunct (150 degrees).

Do you work with a standard degree of Orb when determining aspects?

MP B*B
Krom

Litha
July 30th, 2001, 08:49 AM
M*M* Krom,
Yes, I do and I believe most do as well.
I like to keep a tight orb, the ibggest is perhaps 10 and that only with the luminaries.
:sunny:

Krom
July 30th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Litha
M*M* Krom,
Yes, I do and I believe most do as well.
I like to keep a tight orb, the ibggest is perhaps 10 and that only with the luminaries.
:sunny:

I guess I do mine a little different. Mine are based on what house the sign and the degree of coarse ( Angular, Succeedent, or Cadent.) The the biggest degree of orb I use is 12* and that is in an Angular house and only on conjunction and opposition.

MP B*B
Krom

Swanspirit
July 31st, 2001, 02:43 AM
Merry Merry,
That would otherwise be "out of orb" if they
are part of a stellium with the planet or planet that is within orb.
Love and Lights
Swannie

Shy Hawk
August 1st, 2001, 02:10 AM
Whoa! This is a foreign language to me! ::Backs away slowly::

Swanspirit
August 1st, 2001, 02:20 AM
Merry Merry
and a circle has 360 degrees SO.......
if they are conjunct they are together or within a certain number (=orb of influence) of one another say one plant is 12 degrees Aries and another is 22 degrees Aries they are "within the orb of influence....
A stellium is BUNCH of planets within an orb; a bunch being three or more >:
Angles are figured by where the planets are in relation to each other and are called aspects ..... if one planet is directly across the circle say 180 degrees its opposite OR in opposition, and the way the planets energies interact...... is known to astrologers....
any better .....??
HUGS
Swannie

Shy Hawk
August 1st, 2001, 10:04 AM
Hmm...I think so.....

::still backs away slowly, hoping no one notices::

Litha
August 1st, 2001, 12:54 PM
This is basically what I use for Aspects and orbs:

Conjunction : 7 Deg. 00 Min
Opposition : 6 Deg. 00 Min
Square : 6 Deg. 00 Min
Trine : 6 Deg. 00 Min
Sextile : 4 Deg. 00 Min
Semisextile : 2 Deg. 00 Min
Semisquare : 2 Deg. 00 Min
Sesquiquadrate : 2 Deg. 00 Min
Quincunx : 3 Deg. 00 Min

Methanespirit
August 3rd, 2001, 10:02 AM
When one is dealing with mundane Astrology, the key to all Solar reckoning is the Novile -40 degree aspect. (this information is not in the books) I use the term Novile because there are 9 of them in the Zodiacal circle. This form of delineation should also be incorporated in the natal chart as well. The Novile is a strong aspect, as long as the Sun is approaching (within 5 degrees or so) any 40 degree aspect to any other planet, however, once the aspect is culminated, it quickly dies away. The conventional aspects comprising of basically 30 degree separations, or any multiple there of, is based on Lunar Astrology. The smallest aspect is 10 degrees (decilium) and any Astrological bodies must be partile before the decilium is considered valid.

Litha
August 3rd, 2001, 11:40 AM
The novile is also called a nonagen, often used in karmic astrology
and connotes recognition & release of past life attitudes that hold you in bondage.

Swanspirit
August 3rd, 2001, 12:40 PM
Merry Merry,
I love the other aspects,, but I confess I dont use them very often, but here is a NICE page on those aspects :> .http://www.adze.com/astro/aspects.html#9
Love and Aspects of Astrological Magic
Swannie

Methanespirit
August 4th, 2001, 02:17 PM
In Sidereal Astrology, the Novile has other ramifications also. However these factors are only functional within the works of the Sidereal Zodiac. First, there is the 40-day prophetic chart which can pin-point an incident within a couple of days that one is heading for. This chart is called the " Solar Ennead". There are no books on this form of Astrology. I have been using Ennead forecasting for almost 30 years now and I have never known it to fail. Second, is the Novienic equivalents, again based on the 40 degree separation (multiplied by 9= 360 degrees) All planteary separations are multplied by 9 thereby allowing all aspects of 40 degrees to show up as conjunctions. But more than this is where thy actually fall within the real stellar Zodiac, and especially the Novienic Moon. That this form of Astrology was used in India many years ago and is the key to determining what will be the major factors of all the factors that make up a Sidereal Prophetic chart, as well as in the natals. That the Novienic equivalents are based on the Sidereal position of 0 degrees of the fixed signs. This is established by reckoning where the beginning of the Sidereal Zodiac is located, which is at the Solar Apex -a point between the stellar constellations of Sagittarius and Capricornus. Thus, the Novienic equivalent to this apex point equates to 0 degrees of Taurus. Again, there are no books on this subject. In order to fully grasp Sidereal Astrology, some rudimentary knowledge is necessary of Astronomy.

Swanspirit
August 4th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Merry Merry,
Thank you for the heads up with the Saturn -Pluto conj Mars opp.... helpful to know on many levels :> I put a heads up post at my own astrology forum .... The Night Sky ..
http://pub18.ezboard.com/fthecrossedswordsfrm4
You are welcome to post there as well :> .
The Stars are always out at the Night sky :> , it is a combination astronomy and astrology board, at a much smaller pagan community of old internet friends , but you are more than welcome and invited to post there .... as are any of you that wish to drop by and say HI and post :>, LITHA HINT HINT :> .
I have been trying for some time now to help a n astrologer/witch friend of mine (name drop alert) who had his chart done by ...and played music with Dane Rhudyar, and who was a personal friend of Isabel Hickey..... to get over his cyberKlutziness...... and register to post here and at my forum, but alas not yet..... sigh.. BUT if you see someone named IOLO about be sure and say HI ..... we discuss and argue ....uhhh debate debate !!! on a regular basis, via email and icq .
So Methane , or Litha or anyone .... what do you think about PLuto going direct? and what is the import of Galactic Center? I know astronomically it is considered to be a HUGE black hole, but what do you consider the meaning astrologically to be? And what happens when Pluto get there ?
Love and Light
Swannie

Litha
August 5th, 2001, 09:57 PM
....think I'll mosey on over and have a look see....

Shatril
November 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I moved this because of the subject matter. One of the links is no longer valid as it was talking about an event that took place over 6 years ago. That is not pertinent to the rest of the content of this thread. Enjoy.

:hugz: Shatril

Shatril
December 20th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Along with the content of this thread, you can also look at this website for some more details, and to fill in the foreign language issues. MUH!

http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/aspectsinastrology.html

Good luck Rain,

Shaddar
December 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
While this thread is helpful, it really doesn't give me enough of an understanding about what each aspect means . I would also like to understand what a hard aspect and a soft aspects are.

I hope that all the astrologers here can give me more information.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Shaddar

RainInanna
December 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Good luck Rain,

Oh thank you, some excellent information here. Much for me to learn.

Shatril
December 26th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Shaddar,

As I understand it, the hard aspects are the opposition, square, semisquare. These are aspects that some feel have some sort of negative effect on the planets involved. It is my feeling that these aspects stimulate or cause tension that cause us to take action. Now this doesn't mean that a negative effect, as very often it is beneficial. The tension or action may well counter balance an overactive effect of something else in the chart. The hard aspects show obstacles to be overcome and testing times, which are often necessary to undergo before the harmony ensues of the end achievement. All charts need some hard aspects in order to provide stability and endurance.

The soft aspects are those that have a harmonious flow between the planets involved, and the are the trine, and sextile. It is sometimes believed that it would be better in a chart to have all easy aspects, however, this is not necessarily the case, as one can become complacent if there are not challenges to overcome in this life.

Conjunction-Generally considered Soft
The conjunction tends to be a harmonious aspect. Its quality depends greatly on the planets involved, as well as on how close the aspect is. For example, a conjunction between the Sun and Mercury is generally regarded as harmonious. If, however, the distance between them is less than a few degrees, Mercury is said to be “burnt” or “in combustion”, with corresponding results. In general, the conjunction shows an immediate connection which usually works in one way or another.

This is were the orb would be considered important.

Shatril
January 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM
While jumping around today looking at the astrological aspects for some things I came across this web article about which aspects to use when looking at Grand Trines, Kites and other astrological patterns. I have always wondered about this. When you exclude the NN and the Part of Fortune (PF), many of the patterns disappear. I was wondering if any of the rest of the astrologers have a way that they interpret the patterns.

The other question that comes to mind here, is what about aspects with the NN and PF with other planets? Do these have any significance within the chart interpretation outside the aspect patterns?

http://astrodynamics.blogspot.com/2007/10/pars-fortuna-aspects-and-energy.html

Just some things to chew on for a while. I haven't yet formed my own opinion about this. However, I will probably chew this one for a while.