PDA

View Full Version : Cloth or Disposable

Amethyst Rose
February 18th, 2004, 02:10 AM
I'm just curious about what people's opinions are when it comes to what type of diaper to use. I personally use disposable because the idea of actually having to wash a poopy diaper makes me gag.

morrigen
February 18th, 2004, 02:21 AM
I'm just curious about what people's opinions are when it comes to what type of diaper to use. I personally use disposable because the idea of actually having to wash a poopy diaper makes me gag.

Me too. I wanted to use exclusively cloth...then reality hit...baby poop is awful :sick:

Neither my partner nor I wanted to spend time dealing with washing/rinsing/dealing with cloth nappies when we could barely stand, we were so exhausted. (ahh, the first months...)

I do feel a bit guilty about the environmental issues....but I know now I did what was right for us.

spirit wind
February 18th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I used disposables for the first 5 weeks and then i switched to cloth. I wanted to get over the tiredness and pain before i put more work on my plate. I do use disposables when i go out though as i don't like carting around wet smelly nappies!:sick:

I even go one step further to be nice to the enviroment and use vinegar to wash them in!!!!:colorful:

~~BB~~
Spirit

MysticMama
February 18th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Breastfed poop isn't smelly at all and washes out of cloth diapers easily. Adding solids does increase the smell but you *don't* have to toilet dunk at all - and as parents we have to deal with poop no matter what. If you soak your dipes, you don't have to rinse them. With more solid waste you can shake it off into the toilet (again, no dunking). It's much easier than you think, particularly if you do a diaper service! Then you don't even have to wash them AND it's still cheaper than disposables. :) We cloth diapered from 3.5 months through potty training (with a few months in pull-ups). It's more comfortable for them too IMO.

Did you know that one baby in disposable diapers produces *2 TONS* of solid waste in the landfills? Remarkable, isn't it?

If you want to learn more about cloth diapering check out "Diaper Changes", great book, lots of resources, and you can also check out www.amitymama.com for information, diaper sales, swaps etc. There's a whole cloth diapering world out there! :)

~*Ginger*~
February 18th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Breastfed poop isn't smelly at all and washes out of cloth diapers easily.

yep, that's right.
i used cloth diapers exclusively with my oldest.
She never took a bottle.
Wasn't much of clean up, except for once in a very great while.

They make these little diaper liners for cloth diapers too. :)

With the 2nd, her daddy refused to let me use cloth, so we went with dispoables.

Using disposables does make for alot of full garbage cans, not to mention the smell that's been rid of with cloth.

FaerieGothMommy
February 18th, 2004, 11:19 AM
I use disposable because it's more convienant and cleaner... i've thought about cloth, but chose disposable

FaerieLuma
February 18th, 2004, 11:51 AM
I started out with cloth, but stopped when My oldest started going to the day-care. She was like 7 months then. I felt more comfortable with cloth diapers but disposable ones result more convenient...

BethieRose
February 18th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I used disposables with my two oldest. I wanted to use cloth, but the up front cost and myriad options intimidated me. With my third, we use a combination. Cloth during the day, disposable at night...at least so far. He's only 2.5 weeks old!!! So far the breastfed poop has been easy clean up...they really haven't added a whole lot of work to my routine, except I have one more load of laundry to do.

Now if I could just get him to quit peeing on me when his diaper is off.....that'd save me another load of laundry!! lol

ETA: I made a real push to do the cloth diapers this time because it is cheaper in the long run. And really, I only spent $50 on them before baby was born, so that's what....two weeks worth of disposables? Give or take a bit. I also got a bunch of stuff on loan from friends, though, so I can see how you might have to spend more than that in start up costs.

Autumn
February 18th, 2004, 04:41 PM
I used disposable...I would have considered cloth were there a diaper service here, but there isn't. Consumer Reports said a number of years ago that if you factor in water and detergent use along with the energy needed to heat the water and run the washer and dryer along with wear and tear on the equipment that the enviromental impact is pretty equal. I regret that I have no quote for this fact that also happens to be old...and they didn't consider using vinager instead...but then I wouldn't either.

~*Ginger*~
February 18th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Something else good about cloth, is that they can be recycled after the babies are all out of them.
Cleaning rags, polishing cloths, and they can be made in to really good sanitary napkins.

Tzhebee
February 18th, 2004, 05:47 PM
I use disposable also, with all my kids. Yeah, it gets really expensive (especially when you *have* to buy the name brands because of sensitive skin). Basically for the convenience factor, but also because I am a COMPLETE ignoramus and klutz. I tried cloth for about a week. I can't tell you how many times I stabbed my self in the finger or didn't get the stupid pens through enough of the material to hold them. UGH. Just too frustrating. But, the cloth diapers make great spit rags! :)

MysticMama
February 18th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I can't tell you how many times I stabbed my self in the finger or didn't get the stupid pens through enough of the material to hold them. UGH. Just too frustrating. But, the cloth diapers make great spit rags! :)

One of the great things now is that you don't HAVE to use pins! With velcro and snap diaper covers, "snappi" closures, fitted velcro and snap diapers and other methods of closure you can forget about pins! :)

hastings1066ad
February 19th, 2004, 02:45 AM
We're planning on using cloth after the first few weeks (because of tiredness and my midwife said we might want to be careful about the extra bulk around the newborn's legs ) (my sister-in-law already turmed me on to amitys Mystic Mama!) I just finished making some wool soakers and have my dipes over at sil's to have snaps put on. It's mostly a cheaper choice for us, since I already sewed and had planty of supplies that could be used or recycled to make diapers and our washer/dryer and utilities are a set amount every month that is part of our rent so the extra wash load won't cost us extra. Okay, so pagan guilt and the environment played a little part in our choice, but it was mostly cost and comfort.
-Hastings

fahawk
February 19th, 2004, 10:10 AM
I used cloth for mine, and used wonderful diaper covers that were very soft, and pretty much leak proof- think they were called Nikky diaper covers.. and with breastmilk, it is very little in the "clean" up, as breastmilk isn't bad. Throwing a load in the washer didn't take much time. I rinsed in vinegar too.
Plus, the few times I used disposables, it seemed the garbage added up quickly- seemed like alot to put into the envirorment.
Though, I think now, maybe disposables at night, as I was so tired, and it was alot to keep them dry at night. I can see though, that there a times, like day-care and all, where there isn't a choice..

FlyingBear
February 19th, 2004, 01:12 PM
We used the toss away ones until the diaper service started up and I think they're really great! The little snappy cover is such a nice change over sticking your baby with a pin. And I feel much better about having even a slightly less damaging impact on the planet.

Sometimes Sophia will have what I refer to as " a rumble in the diaper", but being breastfed makes for nicer poop. As I keep telling Seabhac, " Wait until she's eating solids, you'll look back on these days with nostalgia." :lol:

Biinasu
February 23rd, 2004, 06:33 AM
I'm all about cloth diapers! *laughs* I had them as a child, because I had a severly allergic reaction to disposables. Plus, in the long run they're cheaper, reusable, good for the enviornment...I'd say the only bad thing about it was I was constantly being fussed over by older people who were in love with my mother and I for using them, which started my never ending need to be around grown ups and be the center of attention...but that probably would have happened anyway! *laughs*

menolly
March 14th, 2004, 11:36 PM
When my son was newborn, I used to used a re-useable nappies, but not the traditional terry-cloth kind. I used what's called a 'nappy-system' made by a company called Kooshies (altho I think they've changed the spelling to Kushies now). They were great to use, easy to wash, and they had the cutest little designs on them! Everyone loved them! :) I decided to use the re-useable ones because of environmental concerns, and also because of the accumulated savings on my part.
However, when my son was about 3 months old, his skin became very sensitive and we had to switch to using disposeables. If he was in one of his cloth nappies for even 20 minutes, his behind would break out into an extremely angry red rash. I feared that if he wore them the whole day long, his poor tush would become blistered, that's how bad it was!
I haven't gone back to cloth nappies since with him because we only got the small size and would need the large size now, and since our financial situation has changed, I can't afford to pay for them. However, with my next child I may well go back to them, and hopefully we'll be able to stick with them that time :)

MysticMama
March 16th, 2004, 10:58 PM
If your baby had a rash from cloth it could have been a lot of different things. Kushies actually have polyester in them, and a non-breathable layer for waterproofing (well, the all-in-ones do). It could have been your detergent, your washing machine, a yeast problem...lots of things that could actually be cleared up!

If you're interested in learning more about cloth - check out the book "Diaper Changes". It has the basics, troubleshooting, resources for buying, info on diaper covers etc.

FWIW - as a parent we have to deal with poop regardless of whether we cloth or sposies - the disgusting thing is that our landfills are NOT equiped to handle human waste. It pollutes groundwater and causes all sorts of problems so please reconsider your stance on "cleaner" because it's really not. Sposies are extremely harsh on the environment.

Check out www.borntolove.com for products and *tons* of information about the differences in environmental impact, advantages, disadvantages etc.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~born2luv/yourchoi.html for more info about the choice between cloth and sposies.

Good luck!

Yvonne Belisle
March 21st, 2004, 06:15 AM
Even with disposables you are supposed to shake the poop into the toilet when you take them off the kid. I know most parents don't bother. We used a combination of both as well. Disposable for out and about and cloth at home..

Shy Hawk
March 30th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Cloth here. Its only slightly less convenient. My hubby was intimidated at first because we used disposables for two weeks (gifts). But, its not hard. Also, bottle fed poop isn't much worse really. Poo is poo, and for some reason when we were on the breast exclusively his poo was far more rank.
We launder them at home, no need for a service, for us anyhow.

Flar's Freyja
April 11th, 2004, 12:31 PM

I thought it would make me gag, too, but I was forced to use cloth out of necessity when my middle son had horrible diaper rashes. I liked the cloth so much better that I stuck to them and used disposables only when we went out. Most of the time, you can just shake them off into the toilet.

Of course, I was a stay at home mom at the time and lived in a climate where they coulld be hung on the clothesline in the sun, which bleached out any stains. When you compare the feel of cloth vs. paper against your baby's skin, cloth is preferable. Would YOU like to wear a disposable napkin EVERY day of the month?

I also had two in diapers for several years, since all three of my boys are only a little over a year apart, so expense was a big consideration.

For working moms, I'm sure that disposable is the preferred choice and that's understandable, since I'm sure that most day care centers would insist on disposables.

Shanti
April 11th, 2004, 12:49 PM
I used cloth with child # 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. Child 5 gets bad rashes. Had to use disposables. Also, I have made many of my own.

soilsigh aingeal
April 16th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Wow! I never realized how many peole used cloth diapers!

I clicked all three for disposible. the other part, let me put it this way, I hate to do laundry let alone a bunch of poopy diapers... Plus I feel like I don't spend enough time with them now, I can't imagine what it would be like if every day I had to do laundry. (I only do it on my days off.)

Flutterby_whispers
April 18th, 2004, 01:11 AM
I've used cloth dipes on all three of my babies. The only time that I found it really challenging was when I had all 3 in dipes, although I guess that's what you get when you have twins and a toddler 18 months apart LOL I did use a service for part of that time and then switched back to using my own diapers. I also used disp. dipes for the few months that we were in Ireland after having my first child, but other than that I've used cloth.

Fleece is great for poopy butts as it doesn't stick to the cloth as much as say if the outter layer was cotton. I also use a mini shower that's attached to my toilet, spray and put away, pretty simple. There are all sorts of tricks to the cloth dipe trade, once you learn what works for you it's honestly no harder than using disp. dipes and it's so much better for baby & earth. I also wanted to add, to the disp/cleaner option, that disp. really isn't cleaner ~ you don't get messy when changing a cloth dipe, it's not messy when you clean it. Where as disp. fills our land wastes as well as water w/ our wastes. That's honestly not said to offend anyone, there are deff. times where disp. is much easier to use, I myself have used disp. for this purpose, but I did want to comment on that :)

I also love how much fun I can have with them, I know I can see the bug eyes already, looking at me like I'm crazy LOL But really it is fun to use diff. types of fabric and prints, match and mix w/ the clothes their wearing, as well as trying out other ppl's dipe designs as well as my own. I really enjoy it ~

Kelley
April 29th, 2004, 07:51 PM
I have three kids and cloth is all I used with them. My third baby was the easiest because we had a washer machine finally. With the other two I used the tub and laundry mat once a week. NO FUN! :strike:

I wouldn't trade it for the world, but if we went over to grandma's house we pulled out the disposables, she changes diapers like every ten minutes. One day we had our son over there for about two hours and he came home in his uncle's tee-shirt. :rolleyes:

Flutterby_whispers
April 29th, 2004, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't trade it for the world, but if we went over to grandma's house we pulled out the disposables, she changes diapers like every ten minutes. One day we had our son over there for about two hours and he came home in his uncle's tee-shirt. :rolleyes:

Oh my :lol:

HorseCrow
July 12th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Well, as for the environment thing- I once read an article, that when you take a look at the detergents, electricity etc used when washing the cloth ones, they actually end up being just as bad for the environment as the disposable ones....

MarinaSulis
July 12th, 2004, 09:48 PM
While both options take an environmental toll, I don't think they are on equal footing. The reason is this:

Disposables take an enormous amount of resources (energy, petroleum) to simply manufacture. Cloth requires less, and also less need to be produced.

Washing cloth uses water, but the water goes through the sanitation system like water from the toilet does, and is purified and recycled. The waste products in disposables go into landfills that are not graded for, nor capable of handling, human waste, and it can leach into the water table.

Then there's the whole tons of "not going anywhere, anytime soon" garbage factor.

Nothing can be environmentally perfect, but disposables still take a greater toll than cloth. I guess the best option is Elimination Communication, but that's a tough goal to achieve for most of us modern types.

(Btw, we use cloth. We do it more for the cost savings than for the environmental reasons, but it's a nice side benefit.)

Temair
July 12th, 2004, 10:01 PM
I read something similar, too, but then noticed that it was estimating that the baby went through a washing load a day. That is far more diapers than my kids every use. Using cloth has probably added maybe 1-1 loads of laundry a week. And that's how much laundry she will add in clothes as she gets older. Also, I use eco-friendly detergents, so that also lessens the laundry impact.

I used disposables for my first two because I didn't know that cloth ones were still used. When I was pregnant with my 3rd, I saw a flyer for www.danishwool.com in my midwife's office. We had just gotten an inheritance, so I got 2 dozen diapers, 2 soakers, 2 sets of bra pads, and some lanolin soap for them. The diapers are organic cotton, and everything else is organic wool. I started doing it for the environment, but I had no washing machine and there was no diaper service in my area. So every night, I washed them out in the tub and hung them on a clotheshorse to dry overnight. I continued that even after I went back to work. It took me about 5 minutes per diaper to wash completely, so I usually spent 45-60 minutes a day washing diapers on my knees in the bathroom. But I honestly didn't mind. My investment paid for itself in under two months, and I have nothing but praise for the products. The bra pads are the only ones that actually work for me. I would go through a box of paper bra pads with my older two in less than a week, and often ended up with huge wet spots on my shirt around a dry circle centered over my nipple. It looked *really* stupid. These actually keep my shirt dry. Yay!

My fourth is now wearing most of the same diapers (five rotted in the car when they got lost under the seat when they were messy, and some just got threadbare). When my midwife found out I use cloth, she gave me a big box of diapers and covers (Nikky and Kushies) and I love them. The Nikkys do sometimes seep through, especially when she is sleeping and doesn't let me know she's wet until she's soaking wet. Fortunately now I have a washer and dryer and it only takes a maximum of 15 minutes a day to put the laundry on, throw it in the dryer and bring it back upstairs and fold them. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I read somewhere that children given cloth diapers potty train earlier than children given disposables. I am currently testing this theory. My first two, in disposables, trained right around their 3rd birthday. Lauren, in cloth, trained around 20 months, relapsing for a couple weeks a little bit when Rowan was born. But she is a hedonist and I made a bargain with her - she could run around naked if she started using the toilet because I was tired of cleaning up after her. If she didn't want to learn to use the toilet, she had to wear her diaper. So if Rowan trains earlier than the oldest two, I will consider the theory to be quite possibly accurate. I had feared having two in diapers at the same time for a year or more, since Rowan is only 21 months younger than Lauren. Fortunately, I don't have to. Lauren only wears a diaper to bed now, and about half the time it stays dry all night.

A third alternative I've read about is elimination communication:
http://www.parentsplace.com/health/development/articles/0%2C10335%2C239315_115762%2C00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=9368326
http://www.suite101.com/articles.cfm/9089
http://www.mamasmayasandmore.com/EliminationCommunication.html
There is also a Yahoogroup about this. I tried it briefly when Lauren was 14 months old, which is how she found out how much fun it is to be naked. I haven't tried it with Rowan yet. I probably should. :)

greenview
July 12th, 2004, 10:05 PM
I used cloth with both of my kids. My ex-mother in law had a service send us clean and pick up the dirty. We did that for a while but eventually did our own. And when my second one came around i continued to use the cloth. It just seemed like the right choice for me.

Mysticism Deity
July 13th, 2004, 12:51 AM
I have never used cloth but I do think its much cleaner. but I choose to use diapers cus I have twins and dont have the patiences to use cloth. they dont like wearing diapers, a process that should take 30 seconds seems to take 3 hours!

I would like to use cloth someday though with any other children I have cus it seems to also be cheaper!!!!!

Strega Del Vento
July 13th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I've always used disposables. They're so convenient. Just take them off, wrap them up, and toss 'em.

My mother told me though, that I was the only one of 4 children that she had to use cloth diapers on. Seems my tush was a little too sensitive for the disposables.

Tullip Troll
July 19th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I did both and I have decided if I have a third it will be disposible again...there's just too much to do already.

MheraPai...they are starting composting programms for disposibles hopefully it will catch on

phoenix1010
July 19th, 2004, 12:54 PM
I use disposable diapers. The thought of all that laundry was scary!!!
I do use cloth diapers for spit towels, napkins, etc. They are nice all purpose cloths.

Crystal Earth
July 21st, 2004, 03:04 AM
I know it may seem silly, but my step mom loved cloth diapers. Because of that i didn't see why people had a problem with them. I REALLY wanted to use them with my youngest, but my fiance' is a bit of a city boy...not to mention only child... who was never exposed to cloth diapers, the work it does and doesn't invlolve... and not to mention the price.

I think its amazing how far they have come in society today for cloth diapers and the options you have. When i was growing up and helping change some of my siblings you didn't have the cool prints and you just had the rubber pants. I give a BIG HURRA! to those who can do this for their children, and the environment. However, i do understand the disposibles as well. Especially when it comes to working mommies or even just an outing for the day.

MY preferance... cloth if i had my way.

Many Many Blessings....POOF!

Holly Ariadna
July 23rd, 2004, 06:46 PM
Disposable, it's more convenient. :uhhuhuh:

Smiley Girl
July 25th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I think if I ever have children I will use cloth diapers as much as I can. Maybe not at night, like BethieRose said she did. I can't imagine getting up at night for more than a few seconds to change a diaper hehehe For feeding of course, that takes longer but if I'm getting up again for diaper change, it's only going to be a few seconds. :bouncysmi

devotchka
July 25th, 2004, 04:26 PM
My husband was all for cloth diapers. He was thinking economically.

Of course, my mom raised two of us on cloth diapers, so she advised us to go disposable, that we wouldn't come out any better using all the water and energy used to clean them than to just toss out, not to mention those baby pins ~ those make me nervous.

She did get me some cloth diapers to use as burping cloths, though.

Works great.

Oooh, and you know, my favorite diapers are the Pampers swaddlers. They're soooo soft; not crinkly and plastic-y like the other ones.

Kalika
July 25th, 2004, 11:08 PM
I'd love to use cloth... but like Amethyst Rose said... the thought of washing a poopy diaper just makes me gag. Who knows... maybe I'll change my mind down the road.

Zoritsa_Nepenthe
August 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
I tried cloth diapers,but realized that as much as I hated disposable...I hated cloth even more.I'm sure had I invested more into trying them out(only purchased two types),I might have had a better outcome.I will however try out the cloth training pants instead of pull-ups or the like,as I'm hoping cloth will work better at teaching my lil one that it doesn't feel good to be wet and cold.

Infinite Muse
August 4th, 2004, 12:00 AM
i use cloth exclusively. i thought at first that delaing with poopy pants would be a big ole pain, but its now, it just rolls off the material and into the toilet; then the diaper goes into a pail to be washed at the end of the day
baby is 1 year old. total money spent on diapers to date: 48$ canadian
inconveniences/problems encountered: none
... oh wait, the tim horton's we were at today did not have a change table in their bathroom and their high chair was broken too