PDA

View Full Version : audioGnome

Lady Tana
July 17th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Ok.. good, bad, indifferent....

what do you all think of "napster" type mp3 thingies (technical jargon there for you :))

evilslinkycat
July 17th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Napster Good:D

Personaly because of programs like this I have been able to check out music before I go out and buy the cd, works out rather well. And there are some songe that I haven't been able to find anywhere else....

Armitage
July 19th, 2001, 01:11 AM
Same here...I don't see what all the fuss is about. When Napster first came out, the statistics showed *more* people buying music cd's. Maybe cause now they knew what they wanted. :p

loopy
July 19th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Hmm. we used to have a thread about this, musta got eaten. :D

I used to try and care about the whole Napster being illegal and whatnot. Now I just don't care. :p But you can barely get anything on it anymore, with all the filtering. Trying to figure out the alternative spellings annoys me. :)

Sequoia
July 21st, 2001, 04:40 AM
:rolleyes: all the legal crud about napster and the other ones is so stupid. I mean, these artists are what, millionaires, anyway? And they're whining about not getting their new car because some 12 year old downloaded an mp3 of their song and now they're going broke and their families are starving. . .gimmie a break. They still sell CDs, they're still filthy rich, it's incredibly ANNOYING for them to be doing this. You didn't see them whining constantly about when the music was on websites, you didn't see them suing people like this, did you?

Personally, I used Napster to get things I couldn't get anywhere else. I'm an anime fan, and I like J-pop and japanese music (which are usually from the anime or the artists) and as far as I know I can't get many of the songs. I wasn't selling them, I wasn't making a profit, I was just listening like you would on the radio. It really annoyed me when crapster started using the filters, because it would filter out the anime songs by accident while being paranoid about the american artist's songs. :rolleyes: they're so very concerned about me getting my hands on a copy of "Kiseki no Umi" (a Record of Lodoss Wars song). I swear. . . I wish I could just boffer them to silence!

At any rate, now I use BearShare. . . I can get ANY file format, not just mp3s. Movies (HAH! I'm using a 56k dialup!), pictures, text files. . . it's great. But I still mostly get mp3s hehe. And fan-made music videos of anime. I mean, who has the right to say fan-art can't be distributed? Doesn't that fall under freedom of speach rights? or something like that?