PDA

View Full Version : The Depo shot

CajunLady
February 22nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
I'm planning on going on birth control for the simple fact to control my periods. They are always on time, I just always feel like I'm going to bleed to death!!*sorry to be so graphic there* I'm seriously considering going on the depo shot. I've tried the pill and the higher hormone ones give me headaches even though they do lessen the severity of my periods. The lower hormones don't give me headaches, but do nothing for my periods. So the depo shot is my next choice. I'm reading their website, but I wanted to get some info from those who are or have been on it. What kind of side effects are there? What can I expect from it? All those kind of things! I've heard some people stay sick for that first week after the shot and others don't. I heard it makes some gain weight but others don't. But every one says that within a year or so, their periods have stopped completely.
Ever since I had my daughter, who is now 17 months old, I've had really, really heavy periods. I'm going to make an appointment on Monday with my midwife for my yearly and tell her about my "problems". But from all my research, depo is the way I'm leaning towards. I can't go on living this way for 7 days out of the month. I can't go anywhere for fear of staining my clothes, not to mention the $30-$40 I spend in pads and tampons a month!
Thanks for everything in advance!!

morrigen
February 22nd, 2004, 06:16 PM
My best friend had the norplant(?) implant...the one where they implant 3 or 4 little "rods" just under the skin on your arm, through a very small incision......she had a tiny bit of bruising where they went in, that lasted a week or so, and has had no trouble since.

She's had them in for 18 months, and has not had a period at all, in all that time.

She didn't put on weight, had no unusual mood swings or anything else that comes under "typical side-effects"...the only thing was she went up half a cup size in her bra sizing.

So, it worked well for her. Hope that helped a bit :)

Sylvan
February 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
My sister was on Depo and *bled* for three months straight. :foh:
I would just ask to try yet another pill... How many have you tried and which ones? Maybe you've been trying all Orthos and it's just that Ortho doesn't work for you? My same sister had to try about 7 different pills before she found the right one for her.. I was luckier and found "mine" in the second pill I tried (Demulen)..
Have you tried the new patch yet? I wonder how those compare...

~*Ginger*~
February 22nd, 2004, 08:09 PM
*shakes head*
The implants quite nearly killed my baby sister.
One of them broke, and they started growing into the body tissue.

Stay safe.

13thChylde
February 22nd, 2004, 08:43 PM
I bled for 8 weeks from the Depo shot *and* became pregnant a few months into it.

docdoo
February 22nd, 2004, 08:44 PM
I've been on the Depo shot...my reasons were because my period NEVER quit when I was birth control. Seems like any type of 'extra' hormone sends me into perpetual period. I can say that for me the shot did not stop my periods. What it did do however was regulate them a bit more, so that I wasnt actually bleeding all the time.

It actually worked better than any other method I had tried, the problem that cropped up for me was that I experienced a TOTAL lack of sexual desire. I never gained weight (although I do exercise daily) and never experienced any pain or swelling at the injection site. Of all the methods I had used the shot was my favorite.

til next time

hastings1066ad
February 22nd, 2004, 08:53 PM
I tried the depo shot. Didn't have a lot of bleeding (but then, I haven't had that as a problem.) I was sick for a couple of days, but it wasn't that bad.
i did have one minor problem, though. I had my shot last March, had a nearly regular period in April, and got pregnant in May, lol.
-Hastings

nieth
February 22nd, 2004, 09:11 PM
I had a swell time on depo, my periods only lasted two days and were never heavy. I didn't gain any weight either. I was on it for two years. When I decided to stop taking it, it was nearly a year before my periods went back to normal and almost three years before I got pregnant. That kind of stressed me, but I didn't have any complaints while I was on it. I have a couple of friends that were terribly sick every time they went to get their shots, and one who got pregnant the month she quit taking it. I guess it just really depends on your body. I am due in June (having my first son), and am looking into different kinds of birth control for after he arrives. I can never remember to take the pills. I'm looking into the patch, but don't know any women who have tried it. Anyone here try the patch?

angelbaby
February 22nd, 2004, 09:27 PM
I've been on the depo for about 7 months, have had no period since i've been on it. I did have some weight gain though, but its worked well for me.

CajunLady
February 22nd, 2004, 10:03 PM
My best friend had the norplant(?) implant...the one where they implant 3 or 4 little "rods" just under the skin on your arm, through a very small incision......she had a tiny bit of bruising where they went in, that lasted a week or so, and has had no trouble since.

She's had them in for 18 months, and has not had a period at all, in all that time.

She didn't put on weight, had no unusual mood swings or anything else that comes under "typical side-effects"...the only thing was she went up half a cup size in her bra sizing.

So, it worked well for her. Hope that helped a bit :)
I had Norplant before and would never get that again. One of mine broke. It took my doctor 1 year to realize it, evn though I told him over and over. He told me it was just scar tissue growing over it. I bled for a year straight. I now have 2 scars on my arm--he had to cut a 2nd area to remove the broken piece. I also have slight nerve damage in that area-nothing to affect my arm, but it's there. I also have pain in the area every now and then.

CajunLady
February 22nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
My sister was on Depo and *bled* for three months straight. :foh:
I would just ask to try yet another pill... How many have you tried and which ones? Maybe you've been trying all Orthos and it's just that Ortho doesn't work for you? My same sister had to try about 7 different pills before she found the right one for her.. I was luckier and found "mine" in the second pill I tried (Demulen)..
Have you tried the new patch yet? I wonder how those compare... I've tried about every pill out there!! All the orthos, and some I can't even remember the name of. The last one was Alessa. I've heard too many bad things about the patch--namely that they don't work. I've known a few people to use them and still got pregnant.

CajunLady
February 22nd, 2004, 10:05 PM
I've been on the depo for about 7 months, have had no period since i've been on it. I did have some weight gain though, but its worked well for me. If it's not too personal, how much weight did you gain? I'm already about 35 pounds over weight and stuggling to lose that! I mean, 5 or 6 pounds won't bother me. It's 10 or over that would!!!

CajunLady
February 22nd, 2004, 10:07 PM
I had a swell time on depo, my periods only lasted two days and were never heavy. I didn't gain any weight either. I was on it for two years. When I decided to stop taking it, it was nearly a year before my periods went back to normal and almost three years before I got pregnant. That kind of stressed me, but I didn't have any complaints while I was on it. I have a couple of friends that were terribly sick every time they went to get their shots, and one who got pregnant the month she quit taking it. I guess it just really depends on your body. I am due in June (having my first son), and am looking into different kinds of birth control for after he arrives. I can never remember to take the pills. I'm looking into the patch, but don't know any women who have tried it. Anyone here try the patch?
I could handle 2 day non-heavy periods! I wonder if the longer you are on them, the longer it takes to get back to "normal" and get pregnant? We'd like to have another baby in a year to 18 months. Maybe I should try something else then? I could never remember to take the pills either!!

morrigen
February 22nd, 2004, 10:13 PM
I had Norplant before and would never get that again. One of mine broke. It took my doctor 1 year to realize it, evn though I told him over and over. He told me it was just scar tissue growing over it. I bled for a year straight. I now have 2 scars on my arm--he had to cut a 2nd area to remove the broken piece. I also have slight nerve damage in that area-nothing to affect my arm, but it's there. I also have pain in the area every now and then.

Floracove also said in this same thread that this happened to her sister...so that's 2...I wonder how often this happens? I'm worried for my friend, now.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten time with it, Rowan. :sadeyes:

CajunLady
February 22nd, 2004, 10:15 PM
It actually worked better than any other method I had tried, the problem that cropped up for me was that I experienced a TOTAL lack of sexual desire.
til next time
Hmm, wonder if that would happen to me? ever since my daughter was born, my desire has been six feet in the ground. I've been waiting for ti to return, but it never has!! The pill never bothered me as far as this goes!

I may wind up just getting back on Ortho and either trying to deal with the headaches, hope they don't happen or living on Tylenol!! I can only find out if I try! Ortho did work wonders for my period and it took me 3 month to get pregnant after going off of them. I've also seen alot of people here say they got pregnant or knew someone who did on the shot. But we're always careful, if you get my drift, even when I'm taking something! I know, nothing's 100%!! But we got pregnant because we tried!

Thanks everyone who's talked here so far!! I'm thinking against the shot and maybe leaning towards Ortho again. Or just something that'll slow these periods down. That's my main concern. I'm not worried about getting or not getting pregnant. I just can't live with these periods anymore. I have no pain, jsut heavy, heavy bleeding. (eww sorry about that!!) Thanks again!!

CajunLady
February 22nd, 2004, 10:18 PM
Floracove also said in this same thread that this happened to her sister...so that's 2...I wonder how often this happens? I'm worried for my friend, now.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten time with it, Rowan. :sadeyes:
Thanks morrigen. The only thing I can see that caused mine to break is that I was still in high school--carrying my books. I ithnk I got a book shoved into my arm on more than one occasion. When that would happen, I would lose all feeling and use of that arm. I'm only glad that it's my left arm as I am right handed. That was 10 years ago, but I still have pain, lose feeling and use of my arm every so often.

Autumn
February 23rd, 2004, 02:12 AM
If you want to have a baby in a year or two do not do depo. If it were to work the way you want it to you might have a hard time getting your fertility back. I did not get my period on depo at all, but it took six months and a healing ceremony to get my fertility back the first time...the second time it was weight gain that drove me away...my husband says that it "makes you eat like a ditchdigger" and I gained 20 pounds on it. *sigh* I got rid of 15 pounds from it...It also took my going on regular combo pills to regain a normal cycle.

Have you tried progesterone only BC pills? progesterone is what depo is and it might be a way to slow things down without asking you to commit to 12 weeks of hormone that you cannot "untake"

Also Depo and the patch both have a reputation for not working in women over 200 pounds...That's the reputation although at 160-170 I am fairly well convinced there was too damn much depo in my shot...I swear it lasts 6 months in me...

Tzhebee
February 24th, 2004, 12:55 PM
I'm currently using Depo as one of my methods of birth control. I haven't experienced any of the negative side effects (sickness, weight gain, etc.) I've only been on the shot for about 6 months, but I haven't had my period at all.

On the flip side, my roommate has also been on the shot for about 6 months, she bled for 2 months straight (I almost killed her, I swear :)), then hasn't had her period since. She hasn't had any problems with weight or sickness or headaches either.

And as a side note, we are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to body mass.

Romani Vixen
February 24th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I lost my periods when I was on Lunelle before I went on Depo (unusual). Most loose their periods. Weight gain. Some women have funky periods on it. Some have none. Oh... and at the end of the three months... I tend to feel like I have the sex drive of a teenage boy.... at hooters! lol It's not for a lot of women. For others it's a good thing.

Anahita
February 24th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Depo is a VERY high amount of hormone. If the high dose birth control pills gave you trouble, then Depo will probably do about the same or worse. Also, it can make you bleed for a long time though a lot of people will stop getting periods at all after that.

I'm on the patch and I love it. It's pretty low dose but the dosage is constant because it's being absorbed by the skin. I don't know if that might make a difference to you. So far, so good. No babies, and I've been on it for about 2 years now.

- Anahita

WitchJezebel
February 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I did the depo shot... once... and I bled for a year (that's no exaggeration either). My friend Erica, on the other hand, had no problems whatsoever with it and she loved it. That's why I decided to try it, and I honestly feel like I lost a year of my life with it because after about 2 months severe depression set in over it.

FeatherGoblinglimmer
February 25th, 2004, 05:29 AM
i was on the depo shot for a year. My periods stopped. I balloned in weight and put on 3 dress sizes. I lost my sex drive. I became incredibly moody and depressed for at least 4 days out of every month.It was great not having to worry about taking it every day but i wish i hadn't gone on it now, as i am having real trouble shifting the weight back off.

Habiduh
February 25th, 2004, 10:33 AM
I take it, and have been taking it for a year. I did gain wait, but I don't know if it was the shot, or me. I've been dieting and working out really hard and lost only a few pounds, so I'm starting to think it's the shot. I dunno, I really like not having my period, and all the cramps that come along with it. :)

fantasy
February 25th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Yea, Depo was very wicked to me when I was on it. I thought I was going to die by my loss of blood and my constant stomach cramps. I tried depo for almost a year and a half before I finally decided to try the patch which was a lot cooler to me than depo. The only problem I had with the patch was that it constantly would get stuck to my clothing, and sometimes come off in the shower. I was doing everything right, but I guess my skin just didn't like the patch. Finally I'm happy on Norinel pills, everything is going great. No bleeding, no stickiness, no cramps; I just hate remembering to take a pill everyday.

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
February 25th, 2004, 12:38 PM
It's my personal opinion that Depo should be taken off the market entirely. And this is not just based on my experience with it. I've never met (in person, I'm not talking online here, because that's a different story) who had a good experience with it.

I was on Depo for a year, and only bleed for a couple days before I was due for my next shot, though it was heavy bleeding. During that time I had no sex drive what-so-ever, which as a newleywed was difficult on the relationship, especially when you compare it to my high sex drive from before. I mean I could go literally months without wanting to have sex. When I did have sex, it was so incredibly painful that I could barely stand it. And I would be in pain for near on a week after. And not just minor pain, but fierce pain. It hurt to sit, it hurt to stand, it hurt to pee, etc. The only time the pain subsided at all was when I took a bath, not a shower, a bath. And then as soon as I got out of the tub I was back in the same pain. I went to my gyn, and he diagnosed it as vulvodynia, failed to even make the connection that none of this had started until after starting the shots. Additonally I would get headaches (not bad ones, at least not compared to the ones I'm getting now that I've started the patch). And then to top it all off I still managed to get pregnant while on Depo. When I did stop using it, all of these problems ceased after about 3 months. I figure that was just left over from getting it out of my system completely.

I've encountered several women who've used Depo and gotten pregnant while on it, and I've also encountered several who can't get pregnant at all since they've been on it.

If you do choose to use it, be prepared is all I'm saying. They won't tell you about all the possible risks associated with it's use, and even though an extremely high number of woman have had severe problems while using it they tend to be ignored.

Yvonne Belisle
February 27th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Well I get pregnant on pills and bleed so bad I have been forbidden to take Depo again so I am not a good vote for Depo. I also knew a woman carrying triplets who was on norplant. If you do choose one of those methods as birth control and not simply period control you might want to use a back up method as well if you are not ready for kids. If you wouldn't mind an accident happening go for it :) Abstenance is the only 100% method and it is not for me lol Sadly I am so fertile I have to use back up methods. Good luck.

Lucidia
February 28th, 2004, 12:00 PM
in my personal experience, having been on the depo shot for about two years... well. it was nice i suppose. you don't worry about taking a pill or whatnot, but for the first year, my period was all wacky, i once had a period for about three weeks after my second or third shot. Then after a year, they just stopped. No bleeding or spotting at all. But a few months ago, I realized that for me, I just didn't feel right. And, i gained a LOT of weight. like, 30 pounds. I didn't miss my period, but I missed being able to eat without instantly gaining a new peice of flab.

It's not that bad, but i can affect your moods a lot, plus some women have a lot of issues with the sporadic bleeding when you first start the shots. It's not the same for everyone, but if you want to try it, just make sure you take your calcium every day, cause you lose calcium since your body is no longer producing as much estrogen.

WolfMoon
February 28th, 2004, 12:24 PM
If the pill gives you headaches, Depo might be worse. I have had way too many friends have issues with it, from a non-stop period to 20+ pound weight gain. My gyn won't even prescibe it for anyone.

That said, have you tried Seasonal? It's a new pill on the market, where you take the active pill for 10 weeks, then a week of sugar pills inducing you period. You only get your period approximately 4 times a year, once a season. Hence the name.

You can do the same thing with the regular pill. Just don't take the sugar pill and start a new pack after the third week. After three packs, take the sugar pill. This is good for your body's iron, letting you shed the excess iron rather than letting it build up to potentially dangerous levels. That can happen if you don't get your period at all.

I'm really curious if you've gone to a gyn or other practitioner for your problems. It sounds suspiciously like endometriosis.

Habiduh
February 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM
I've been reading this thread and I've desided to get off Depo. I didn't realise what it was doing to me until I heard other people describe things that I just thought were occuring naturally to me. I've gained like... 20 pounds for no reason, I get a headache for two strait weeks after getting the shot, and ever since I started taking it I get chronic fevers for no reason. I didn't get any sporadic bleeding on the shot, though, so I lucked out in that sence.

I'm going to try and get off of it to see if it is the reason for the massive ammount of weight I gained. I have been dieting and exorcising like crazy and lost only a minimal ammount of weight (Two months of going to the gym five days a week, and eating no more than 10-15 grams of fat a day... six pounds), and I'm tired of it. I hope it drops quickly after I'm off of it. With those of you who gained weight on Depo, and then stopped taking it, how quickly did you notice the weight decrease, if at all?