PDA

View Full Version : Peircing an infants ears

turtlerain46
February 23rd, 2004, 02:59 AM
So I went into a store today to buy my younger sister a birthday gift, and I as I walked in there was a woman there having her infants ears peirced. This little girl coudn't have been more than 1 year old. I was in the back of the store when the first blood-curdling scream came out. All I could think was how cruel!!! The little girl was just wailing and wailing. I've seen infants with their ears peirced before and thought it was awful, but never been there to expeirence it. Now the only reason for doing this is for looks. This isn't some cultural tradition. I just think it's a bad idea to have ears peirced at that young of an age. Even when they get older (i.e 5,6) I mean those years when little girls, are just running around with all that excess energy. I think that a parent should wait until an appropiate age. An age when a child can decide for themselves if they want it done, and at a point where there's less of a risk of some kids ripping it out while playing. What do you guys think, has anyone here done this???

MysticMama
February 23rd, 2004, 03:54 AM
No way! Sure it's cute - but I would rather give my daughter the choice when she's old enough to make it. I just can't wrap my mind around inflicting unnecessary pain on an infant or small child. Sheesh - my dd freaks when she has a sliver and won't let me near her with tweezers. I can't imagine the trust that would be broken if I took her in for piercing.

darastar
February 23rd, 2004, 05:14 AM
When my eldest daughter was a baby, I always firmly believed that I would never get her ears pierced until she was old enough to ask for it to be done, figuring she'd be maybe 12,13? perhaps, before this happened.

Wrong! From the time she was four years old, she nagged me incessantly to have her ears pierced. I explained to her that it hurt, and that earrings took a lot of care and attention, but this child PERSISTED for another two years, until I finally broke down and gave in and took her to have her ears pierced at the age of six. Amazingly, she didn't even flinch, and skipped out happily with her new earrings. I taught her how to look after the piercings, and keep them clean and I can honestly say we have never had any bother with them at all. She's now eight, and the only problem is, her four year old sister has now started pestering me for earrings too...... :hairraise

morrigen
February 23rd, 2004, 05:15 AM
I agree with you both...aside from the cruelty and lack of the infant's consent, I feel it looks awful...this beautiful, fresh, otherwise unscarred infant...with holes punched in her/his ears
No way.

Lesidhe
February 23rd, 2004, 05:33 AM
I HATE seeing this! I refuse to even be in the same store when they do it..

I went across to another store when this Mum was doing it to her daughter which was TINY.. she couldn't be any more than a year old. But you could hear her screaming throughout the whole entire mall and everyone was just shaking there heads... it was awful! Plus the sounds of the gun piercing.. ah! Poor thing!

I don't think it's right because the child has NO SAY IN IT. You cannot ask an infant whether or not they want there ears pierced.. I think there should be a law on this.

Biinasu
February 23rd, 2004, 06:04 AM
I had my ears pierced at two (and then again at four, six, twelve, and fourteen - but those were my choice [mostly because they kept closing up because I'm bad about keping my earrings in]) and I'm actually grateful to my mother for getting that done when I couldn't remember the pain (because, like everyone else in my family, I have sensitive ears XD). She says I didn't cry then. o_o; Anyway, I think doing it to an infant is a bit extreme, and I personally would wait to give my kids the choice, just because I know not everyone is as in love with pierced ears as I am. ^^;

FeatherGoblinglimmer
February 23rd, 2004, 06:22 AM
I definetly think it should be done when the child is old enough to have a say in it, and if they actually want them pierced. To be honest I don't know about which cultures do insist on it but i know there are some and i respect that but i personally wouldn't do that to my daughter until she was ready and asking for it herself.

Biinasu
February 23rd, 2004, 06:30 AM
personally wouldn't do that to my daughter until she was ready and asking for it herself.
That reminds me! It's not just daughters. When I was getting an ear pierced at 14 (the uneven look was cool I say!), there was a woman getting her infant son's ear pierced. That's a lot more iffy to me. That's the first time I ever thought "Shouldn't you wait until he's older? O_o"

In Darkness We Gather
February 23rd, 2004, 06:54 AM
I've always thought the same, everyone asks if me & FGM will get our daughters ears peirced, and we don't want to. We want to give her that choice when she older, and plus we don't want to put her through some pain just to look cute with little earrings in. She looks beautiful the way she is.

Faery-Wings
February 23rd, 2004, 07:50 AM
Uh I guess I am the only one who had her baby's ears pierced. Lookng back, I am not sure what my exact reasoning was. IMO, I think it looks sweet. I spoke to my pediatrition at her 6 mo well care visit, and she told me that if I wanted to get it done, to do it before they turn a year old- 6-9 mos is the best window, they are less apt to fiddle with them. At her 9 mo old well care, I applied prescription EMLA cream, an anesthetic to her ears right before her appt, and had the dr pierce her ears. She didn't flinch, cry, fuss, ever play with them, pull them out or get an infection. Not one problem. She is 5 now and love to pick out different earrings to match her clothes. She has way more pairs than I do LOL!

I guess I never thought it was a big deal- I have several ear holes- and I figured if she didn't like them , she could take them out and let them close.

I do understand your concerns, I could never have done it in a store or without the cream. But at the same time, it isn't always as awful for the baby as you think. :)

Gareth
February 23rd, 2004, 08:07 AM
For my daughter's 9th birthday she begged and begged and begged to have her ears pierced.
That was a fun day!!
She was all for it until the ear was actually pierced.

Imagine this.
A 9 year old hyper little girl scared and fighting as if she were being killed!! :yikes:
After about 10 minutes of calming her down, I sat in the chair and she sat on my lap.

It sounds mean from here, so bear with me.
I was holding her arms and legs while my wife held her head down.
Then the women finished the job.

I knew my girl was gonna freak.
We tried to talk her out of it and she wouldn't have it!!
She was getting her ears pierced that day damn it!

At least that's how she was acting.
As we were leaving a couple were bringing thier little baby in.
They were next in line.
Guess what they were doing.

I felt bad about my daughter getting hers done, I was sickened by these people bringing in a baby!!

My daughter made the choice, and we explained exactly what was going to happen.
She still wanted to go through with it.

Did they ask the baby? Did the baby say yes?
I think you know the answer.
On a lighter note, my 6yr. old son wanted to get his done!! :T
I told him about how it was done and he quickly changed his mind!! :lol:

Serendipity
February 23rd, 2004, 10:19 AM
I was so mad at my mom for not doing it when I was a baby, because I wouldn't have remembered the pain. LOL I still wish she would have, but I don't think I would pierce my child's ears. (Not pregnant, no kids, just blabbin) =)

Calyx
February 23rd, 2004, 10:46 AM
My daughters are 4 and 5 1/2 and THERE IS NO WAY I would let them have their ears pierced right now. They'd never leave them alone and probably lose all the earrings. If they screech bloody murder about a skinned knee, I can't even fathom the glass-shattering shrieks they would produce being pierced! :hairraise
I don't believe in it as babies either, but at least they won't remember it. My feeling is, it's just something the mothers want to do to the baby. The baby doesn't need it, certainly doesn't want it, and could care less. It's very prevalent in certain cultures, though.

docdoo
February 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
I have mine pierced (2 holes in each ear) and it really didnt bother me. Having said that I will also say that I dont care for earrings in little ears either. My mother wouldnt let me get mine done until I was 13 and Im glad she waited, at that age I was much more ready to deal with the healing process, though the actual piercing was a snap for me.

Anyway, for myself, I think that parents should let their kids decide if and when they want to get pierced.

Til next time,

Desert_Yaqui
February 23rd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Okay so I am the odd one out...

Sometimes having your ears pierced IS a culture thing... as in MY culture... it is just something that is done... Me, and my two sisters; we all had our ears pierced as babies... We still have the same piercings... Naturally, the types of earrings we could wear were strictly monitored... like no dangly type earrings till we were much older--and definiately NO hoop styles.

Incidentally, my four nieces had their ears pierced as babies as well. I do not believe they have suffered any long term trauma stemming from these piercings, and neither have we. Not only that, when I can't think of ANYTHING else to buy them... there's always lots cute, yet appropriate earrings to choose from ;)

Hey, just my two little centavos, folks! :devil:

Silver_Undine
February 23rd, 2004, 12:23 PM
On my mom's side of the family it's a tradition that all the female children have their ears pierced when they are a baby. Mine were done that way, along with my sisters and niece. If it had been left up for me to decide when I was older I wouldn't have done it because I tend to be a wimp about pain. I'm glad that my mom had it done when I was younger so I don't rememeber the pain.

~*Ginger*~
February 23rd, 2004, 02:16 PM
*no offence*

The only little babies I've ever seen with pierced ears, were not very pretty babies, and their mother's will tell you that they had their ears pierced, so everyone wouldn't think they were boys.

My oldest has wanted her's pierced since she started school.
I'll not allow her or the other's to have their ears pierced till they are 16 years old, then they'll be old enough to take care of the upkeep themselves.

Seren Mara
February 23rd, 2004, 03:10 PM
My mum said she wouldn't let me get my ears pierced until I was fifteen, because she figured by that time I would know for definite whether I wanted them done, and I would be able to take care of them myself.

Turned out, I was in hospital for my fifteenth birthday. Not the most fun birthday ever. However, a week later I was discharged, and the first thing I did was ring the beauty salon at the bottom of the road, and got an appointment for the next day!

Yvonne Belisle
February 23rd, 2004, 05:19 PM
My daughters ears were peirced at one year old and she didn't make a sound she also loves having them done she is now about to be 13.

Linx
February 23rd, 2004, 05:30 PM
I am one of the ones who *did* it. It is a tradition in my family as well. The little girls all seem to get their ears pierced. This is just on my side, not my Husbands side (those those girls did get their ears pierced at 5 or 6) With Tailie, she was 6mos old. I consulted my DR as the previous person posted. And though the DR did not perform the piercing, she did give me numbing cream for Tailie's ears. She never played with them, nor got any infections. And with her being just 6mos old and always with me, it was very easy for me to keep up with the care of her ears. She loves the fact that she has them, and can pick out or have "mommy" make her pairs of earrings to match her cute clothes and dresses. I have to admit some of the reason I also had them pierced was not only due to tradition, but had to do with a bit of vanity. Tailie was a beautiful baby girl, and you could tell she was a girl, perfect little head (c section baby), but had nearly no hair. She would also not keep headbands or anything on her head, so vanity did play a small part.

With my nieces on my husbands side, they all had their ears pierced about school age. All had numerous infections, and two of them refuse to even wear them now because they STILL don't care for them, and get infections. I think it is all a matter of preference. Everything in life is.

As for inflicting unecessary pain on an infant, it is done everyday, in numerous ways, by different people. Ask 20 different people about different procedures, and get at least 10 different responses. Some people believe shots are unecessary pain, others believe that circumcision is. I for one believe circumcision is a BIG decision. It involves a LOT more then ear piercing, and literally alters the little guys for life. If you pierce a little girl's ears, at least if they decide they don't like them, they can let the holes heal in. You cannot reattach the forskin after a circumcision. AND there is proof now that circumcision has virtually no benefits at all. Circumcision is performed mostly for vanity purposes. And that area pretty much goes unseen. My son is circumcised, I was 16, a very young mom, and it was 12 years ago. I really had no idea what I was agreeing to, and my mother said it was a good idea. After knowing what I know now, if I could have another son, I would not do it. But again as with everything else, it is a matter of choice. :)

Autumn
February 23rd, 2004, 05:52 PM
I did not do it with my girls because Dh was opposed. I wanted to though because most of the women I have known who've had it done as infants could wear just about any earrings they pleased no matter how heavy or what the post was made out of...

Amethyst Rose
February 23rd, 2004, 06:16 PM
I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until I "graduated" from elementary school, so I was 12. I begged for them soooo much but my parent's never gave in. They also said no more holes until I moved out and one of the first things I did after I was out on my own was to get another hole.
I personally don't think it should be done until the girl is old enough to look after them herself.

VelvetBlade
February 23rd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Both of my girls had their ears pierced at a young age, but I agree with the post stating either to get them done real early, or wait until they are school age. If you get them done young, they grow older being accustomed to them being there. If you've ever seen a toddler at a year and a half, you know they love to explore and play with everything they can get their hands on..and then some.

~AW

LightDancer
February 23rd, 2004, 07:13 PM
Actually, in the Islamic faith the first gift a little girl recieves is gold, usually in the form of gold earrings. This happens very shortly after birth. So in some instances there is a cultural reason behind baby ear piercing.

I for one won't be letting the girls get their ears pierced until they are 12.....that's when I got mine done, and I was fine with that:)

B*B
Jamie

MysticMama
February 23rd, 2004, 07:15 PM
Ear piercing, like circumcision is unnecessary. It IS unnecessary pain no matter how you look at it unless you consider vanity necessary - and I don't. Why else would you do it? As far as the holes closing...well, if my dd decides at 13 that she doesn't want them, and I had them pierced when she was an infant - those holes are most likely NOT going to "grow back". Tradtion - fine, think it's cute - fine...but I like my babies and children "stock" and without physical embellishments. ;)

Like anything, it's up to the parents but I personally am looking forward to doing this as a coming-of-age ritual for menarche, provided my dd wants them done.

Lesidhe
February 23rd, 2004, 07:50 PM
If you pierce a little girl's ears, at least if they decide they don't like them, they can let the holes heal in. You cannot reattach the forskin after a circumcision. AND there is proof now that circumcision has virtually no benefits at all. Circumcision is performed mostly for vanity purposes. And that area pretty much goes unseen. My son is circumcised, I was 16, a very young mom, and it was 12 years ago. I really had no idea what I was agreeing to, and my mother said it was a good idea. After knowing what I know now, if I could have another son, I would not do it. But again as with everything else, it is a matter of choice. :)

Actually, circumcision is also for health reasons. I've heard from various doctors that men who have no been circumcised tend to get a lot more infections down there, etc.

Also, I wish I had never gotten my ears pierced( I was around 10 or so), although they have closed up and aren't visible.. there is still a knot in each one that'll never heal back, and they hurt to the touch.

Muireannach
February 23rd, 2004, 07:57 PM
I see nothing wrong with it, a lot of cultures do it as a tradition so it's not just because "it's cute" it's just the traditional thing to do. It's not simply done for "vanity" as others have posted. Ear piercing is quick, and really if you think about it, you are torturing your baby just as much when they get immunized, or even more if the need a blood sample.

When I was a kid I had my done and didn't have a problem, and if the child doesn't want their ears done when they're older well it'll grow over.

It's the parents choice in the matter, and if you think it is somehow harming a baby, then don't do it to your baby. I just think it goes a bit far when everyone is phrasing it like women who do this are such awful mothers.

VelvetBlade
February 23rd, 2004, 08:07 PM
Actually, circumcision is also for health reasons. I've heard from various doctors that men who have no been circumcised tend to get a lot more infections down there, etc.

Also, I wish I had never gotten my ears pierced( I was around 10 or so), although they have closed up and aren't visible.. there is still a knot in each one that'll never heal back, and they hurt to the touch.

That was true at one time, but the American Academy of Pediatrics has changed their viewpoints on circumcision being necessary.

http://www.menweb.org/aapcirc.htm

I think most of the reason that it's done now is either cultural/religious rites, or it's done so that your little boy looks like every other little boy and won't stand out. JMO, of course.

~AW

Lesidhe
February 23rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
That was true at one time, but the American Academy of Pediatrics has changed their viewpoints on circumcision being necessary.

http://www.menweb.org/aapcirc.htm

I think most of the reason that it's done now is either cultural/religious rites, or it's done so that your little boy looks like every other little boy and won't stand out. JMO, of course.

~AW

thank you for clearing me up, i'm glad to know that now. i didn't agree with it to begin with, i only did because i thought it was better health-wise. well, now i know. =)

Calyx
February 24th, 2004, 12:33 AM
It's the parents choice in the matter, and if you think it is somehow harming a baby, then don't do it to your baby. I just think it goes a bit far when everyone is phrasing it like women who do this are such awful mothers.

I didn't imply that people who do so are awful mothers. Moms get enough crap about their choices regarding parenting without having to worry over something as silly as earrings on a child. I said I didn't believe in it, but that's my own two girls. I've seen plenty of peirced infants in my part of the world and I've never made the connection that ear piercing on babies=bad mother. :)

MysticMama
February 24th, 2004, 04:09 AM

This is plain and simply not true. If we were to cut a woman's labia off to prevent infections it would be the same argument and there is NO medical reason to do it.

MysticMama
February 24th, 2004, 04:14 AM
I see nothing wrong with it, a lot of cultures do it as a tradition so it's not just because "it's cute" it's just the traditional thing to do. It's not simply done for "vanity" as others have posted. Ear piercing is quick, and really if you think about it, you are torturing your baby just as much when they get immunized, or even more if the need a blood sample.

When I was a kid I had my done and didn't have a problem, and if the child doesn't want their ears done when they're older well it'll grow over.

Just because it's tradition doesn't make it okay. It was apparently tradition for some members of my family to be child molesters...but that doesn't mean that *I* am going to do it. Perhaps not a fair comparison but really, tradition doesn't mean there's no harm. Comparing it to an immunization or blood draw isn't a fair comparison either because those have medically based reasons - which ear piercing does not.

I don't see any name calling, nobody has been called an "awful mother". Some of us think it's unnecessary - and even though I disagree with the parents who do it at a very early age, it doesn't make them an awful parent just someone who has different beliefs than mine. I don't think all Christians are awful parents because their beliefs differ from mine either.

FaerieLuma
February 24th, 2004, 04:49 AM
I had mine pierced when I was a baby and I didn't have any problem. My 2 daughters had them pierced by their pediatrician, the first one when she was 6 months and the second one when she was a year old. For both of them it was a really quick process and neither of them cried.

Muireannach
February 24th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Just because it's tradition doesn't make it okay. It was apparently tradition for some members of my family to be child molesters...but that doesn't mean that *I* am going to do it. Perhaps not a fair comparison but really, tradition doesn't mean there's no harm. Comparing it to an immunization or blood draw isn't a fair comparison either because those have medically based reasons - which ear piercing does not.

Child molestation is taking things way too far, we are talking about ear piercing, a simple un-harmful procedure, not the rape of a child. I mentioned that it was a tradition so that some members have an understanding that the issue is not something frivilous, but a valid tradition that some cultures practice. For example, an individual may think meat is wonderful to eat and upon hearing that in India the cow is a sacred animal and is not eaten may find that silly or nonsense. However the fact of the matter is it's a valid tradition and religious practice to them and therefore is worthy of some form of respect that their lifestyle deserves.

What I am essentially trying to say in my example is that it is a valid tradition worthy of respect, and jsut because some families practice this tradition doesn't mean you have to practice it.

My comparison with immunization and blood drawing was used so you can understand that there are painful and procedures babies go through and they come out fine, and the pain in some cases can be quite similar depending on the area and the procedure.

I don't see any name calling, nobody has been called an "awful mother". Some of us think it's unnecessary - and even though I disagree with the parents who do it at a very early age, it doesn't make them an awful parent just someone who has different beliefs than mine. I don't think all Christians are awful parents because their beliefs differ from mine either.

I did not say there was name calling at all, I think you may of mis-read what I put...

"It's the parents choice in the matter, and if you think it is somehow harming a baby, then don't do it to your baby. I just think it goes a bit far when everyone is phrasing it like women who do this are such awful mothers"

however sometimes people take things a bit too far and begin to phrase things in an over dramatic manner which come across the wrong way.

I didn't mean to start any conflict just wanted to offer some new insight on this side of the issue.

winter_goddess
February 24th, 2004, 06:47 PM
When my daughter was a few months old, her doctor asked me if i wanted him to go ahead and pierce her ears....i guess it is nothing for a doctor to do it nowdays. I politely declined.

turtlerain46
February 24th, 2004, 11:48 PM
If peircing a baby's ears is a tradition (i.e not just one generation but from many generations like islamic or other eastern cultures) is one thing. However I know that just 60 years ago in most western cultures, if girls did get their ears peirced they had to be atleast 16 or older. It was a symbol of etering into woman hood. You could care for them yourself. I personally feel that our society is making girls grow up to fast in the first place, but that's a whole different subject. If you do feel that this is necessary or somthing you want to do, then I think your method should be just as big of a decision. It's one thing if you go to your doctor and they give you special creams, antibiotics, ect. The incident I was speaking of was in a little jewelry boutique that is aimed mainly at teenagers and pre-teens. In the middle of crowded mall, and all they give you is a bottle of cleaner that they would give anyone. I feel that special care should be given to infants.

Mayru
February 25th, 2004, 12:54 AM
I had my ears pierced the day i was born, by my doctor. All the girls in my family had them done the day they were born, I see no problem with that. But I dont like the idea of a toddler getting them, that kinda seems cruel. And another thing I hate it when people get piercings at those stores... They just dont seem clean, I really dont know if they are or not, but I wouldnt do it. But thats just me. :)

Semele
February 25th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Well, I had Trinity's ears pierced when she was 4 months old, just after her second set of immunizations. I think it is easier to get it done when they are small and wont jump and run the risk of messing up the piercing like I did at 9 years old. I still can't wear studs becuase my right ear is pierced too low because I jumped when they did it. Trinity didn't cry and she didn't get infected and she has never messed with them or swallowed the backs or any other of the horrible things that people suggest as reasons to avoid getting them done. Also she was quite cute before her ears were pierced too!

After Maci has her second set of shots, we will get hers done as well. They need at least two sets in my opinion. No sense tempting fate with tetanus ya know? Trey got his ear pierced for his fifth birthday because he begged and begged. He has also done great with his and had no problems. I guess this is a personal issue that each parent needs to decide for themself.

Avalon
February 25th, 2004, 12:31 PM
My grandmother (whose ears were pierced very young due to her Italian heritage) decided to Americanize my mother, and never pierce her ears. My mom has not pierced them to this day, and although she has worked out a way to wear pierced earrings, she laments not being able to wear studs. I had mine pierced at age 8, and remember the running around I did before they could get me to sit down and pierce the other earlobe! MHO is pierce them in infancy. :smile:

Enchanted Echoes
February 25th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Hubby and I agree that if we were to have identical twins or triplets, we would get their ears pierced ASAP... with different colors so we could tell them apart.

OK, rubies... that's so and so. :lol:

KatCallide
February 26th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I got my ears pierced when I was 8 months old and I'm glad my mom did it! My sister just got her daughters ears pierced too (she's a year old) And I think she looks adorable with little silver studs.

So IMHO I think it's up to the parents, and it's perfectly ok to get them done when they're that young.

MystIc_WolF
February 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Personally, I think if someone wants their daughter to wear earings when they're that young, they should wear clip ons, instead of getting their ears peirced. Most people don't expect kids to wear earings anyway, and if they do, they certainly don't expect them to wear really expesive ones. Besides, with clip ons if they get pulled off they just come off easily, real earings could rip the child's earlobes, inducing a whole lot more pain than pulling a splinter out.

aluokaloo
March 12th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Well, I don't think its right to force an unconsenting child to have their ears pierced, I had my ears pierced when i was a baby and it bugs me now to have earrings in. I won't do it to my daughter unless she asks for it, even her dad who loves getting pierced and tattooed, and who loves piercing and tattooing other people strongly disagrees on the practice (something to do with the piercing gun and hollow piercing needles). I mean why is that older kids have to have their parents written permission or presence for piercings, but babies are a free for all? Interesting thought huh?

morrigen
March 12th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Well, I don't think its right to force an unconsenting child to have their ears pierced, I had my ears pierced when i was a baby and it bugs me now to have earrings in. I won't do it to my daughter unless she asks for it, even her dad who loves getting pierced and tattooed, and who loves piercing and tattooing other people strongly disagrees on the practice (something to do with the piercing gun and hollow piercing needles). I mean why is that older kids have to have their parents written permission or presence for piercings, but babies are a free for all? Interesting thought huh?

That is a very good point...seems it's ok if the parents want to do it to an unconsenting baby...but a 16 year old who wishes to do it to *her/his own body* cannot.

I wonder what sort of message we send to our kids with that one?

Faeawyn
March 12th, 2004, 07:00 PM
I waited until my daughter was old enough to make the decision for herself. At 5yo, she told me she was ready and so I took her down and we had it done. I can't see inflicting pain on an unsuspecting baby who looks to you for comfort and protection just because it looks cute.

turtlerain46
March 13th, 2004, 01:58 AM
I didn't get myn done until I was eight and it was something I wanted to do. Unfortunatly, kids being kids, one did get ripped out while playing one day. I think that this is my main reason for being against it. Children are just so energetic and can easily get carried away.

Mistress_Hoshi
March 13th, 2004, 05:51 AM
I had mine pierced when I was two. My mother says I cried until I saw them in the mirror and then I was instantly happy.

I also use to work in the mall where we pierced ears and I think the youngest I ever pierced was a 2 month old. It was actually pretty easy, the baby didn't even flinch it just cried a little. I think the worst I ever had was a six or seven year old. I could tell that she had been nagging her mom for awhile but always seemed to chicken out in the chair. It took me and her mom two hours to finally get her to hold still because the little girl refused to leave...but also refused to have it done!

One advantage to having them done early is to make sure they are done by a professional. I knew a few girls growing up whos parents wanted them to wait till a certain age so they did it themselves at home with an ice cube to numb up the ear, a needle and a potato to place behind the ear. Definately not the most sanitary thing in the world!

As for my future children, I'm not sure if I'll get them done early or not. I know that if I don't and they wish it done, I'll do it as soon as they are able to comprehend the pain and care that goes with it.

Rainbow Chaser
March 13th, 2004, 06:21 AM
I don't have pierced ears so I might be biased but I would never contemplate having the ears pierced of my baby girl. Also because there are vital meridians flowing through the ear and I always feel the holes can mess that up. Let alone if you had pierced ears from babyhood onwards.

I realize I do have a double standard in this because I DO sell earrings... pfffrrt

menolly
March 14th, 2004, 08:47 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's not my place to say whether or not my children have their ears pierced; It's their body, let them choose. I understand that with some cultures (muslims & latino catholics being the only two I can think of) it is the normal thing to do for whatever reason, but I would never do that or encourage anyone else to.
I agree that it is worse for boys though; At my baby clinic, there was one mum who seemed bent on her son seeming a 'bad seed'... Not only had she pierced her infant son's ear (at about 9 months) but she had named him Diesel... I can just imagine the scenes at school, with other kids saying 'Diesel did it!!!'... That might just be me thinking that, but I just don't like it :lol:

Epona44
March 14th, 2004, 10:35 PM
I think children should be old enough to decide for themselves.

:whatgives

ivygarland
March 21st, 2004, 06:58 PM
I got mine pierced at nine, as a birthday present. I do think that piercing little baby's ears shouldn't be done because it isn't their choice, but the bigger reason I wouldn't do it is that it is an easy present and I wouldn't want to waste the opportunity. :)

buttercup
March 21st, 2004, 07:33 PM
We chose to pierce our daughters ears after speaking with their pediatrican. He felt that if we were going to have them pierced in their childhood it would be easiest as an infant. So, we waited until they were about four months and had their second set of shots. Our first daughter slept through the whole thing! (She's slept through two earthquakes and a fire drill at school though also!) Our second daughter cried for less than two minutes and I'm pretty sure it was the sound that scared her more than anything. She wasn't fussy or anything afterwards. I'm glad that we had them done when the girls were little for a couple of reasons. Number one, they never pulled or played with their ears after the piercing. I was 8 when mine were pierced and I had infection after infection because I was constantly touching my ears. Two, they are now 7 and 9 and love to wear their earrings. We were in a store the other day and there was a girl about 10 getting hers pierced and although she wasn't screaming, she was making enough noise that you could tell she was scared. Her mom was there holding her hand but she was still scared. Anyway, my older daughter turned to me and said, " I'm glad mine were pierced when I was a baby." We do make sure that they wear something appropriate too. They are only allowed to wear studs or very small hoops.

ApollaJade
August 31st, 2004, 05:11 PM
my mom says she had my ears pirced when i was 3 mos old...she says i didnt cry and i got my frst diamonds/gold from my grandpa like a day after...i still have the earrings, but cant wear them cuz theyre too small, but i plan to pass them on to my daughter when i get her ears pierced...i would probably wait until 9 mos. and use the emla cream...i have used emla cream (for ivs when i had a port in my chest) and it works well.

Holly Ariadna
August 31st, 2004, 05:27 PM
I got my ears pierced when I was 12. I'll probably pierce my daughter's ears when they're newborns, it's sort of cultural, it looks cute, they won't have to do it later, and also if they don't want piercings (which I highly doubt) they can just take the earrings out. It's not like a tattoo that you can't remove!

WickedBttrfly
August 31st, 2004, 05:37 PM
I had my ears pierced when I was 18 months old, and I don't remember it, so it doesn't bother me. When you get your ears pierced, it hurts a little, but it doesn't scar you for life. I am glad my mom had them pierced when she did, cause then I never had to get them pierced.

Bec_W
August 31st, 2004, 06:57 PM

Those doctors were either wrong or lying. Generally, it's a matter of cleanliness, if you clean you wont get infections.

To the topic at hand... I don't like babies wearing jewellery period. I also don't agree with putting holes in other people without their consent.

Khuinaset
August 31st, 2004, 07:18 PM
To the topic at hand... I don't like babies wearing jewellery period. I also don't agree with putting holes in other people without their consent.

yeah...I agree. I dunno, it's always seemed silly to me to pierce a very young baby's ears. What's the point? The child doesn't know how to take care of it, young kids tend to be a little more reckless and it might get yanked out somehow, not to mention that in some people(I have no idea how rare it is), if you do take it out after you've been pierced you get large lumps of scar tissue. It happened to my mom, and she had to get them surgically removed rather painfully...at any rate, it just makes a lot more sense to me to wait until the kid can handle it themselves. *shrugs*

RogueSpirit
August 31st, 2004, 08:29 PM
I was always told that it was better to get a child's ears pierced when they were babies (at least six months old, as I recall) because they were less likely to play with them. I have to agree with the reasoning behind it, because I got mine pierced when I was about eight and at 35, I still fiddle with my earrings. Children I know who got them done really young, especially as infants don't do that. However, if your child is prone to ear infections, don't do it when they are infants. My daughter had her ears pierced when she was eight months old. The jeweler who did it for us wouldn't do it earlier than that because he wanted her lobes to be bigger (hers are attached instead of dangling). Within a few months, she pulled at them while experiencing an ear infection and they began to bleed. I took them out immediately and let them close up. We re-pierced them when she was ready to do it... I seem to recall that she was almost four years old. I explained about the pain and taking care of them and it took her a while to decide that the pain would be worth it to have the piercings. She didn't cry either time. But then, this child also has been getting allergy shots regularly for over two years and doesn't cry then, either.

For those who do think this is an unreasonable practice, I'm curious about your stance on circumcision.

Bec_W
September 1st, 2004, 02:30 AM
There's a thread about circ here - http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=62927 most of the people who responded here probably responded there too :)

GaiaDea
September 1st, 2004, 08:37 AM
I did not have DD's ears pierced as a baby because it is HER body, and HER choice. She will have them done at 13, at her request, and she has decided she wants me to do it for her. (I am a piercer) She chose to wait, as she felt she would be able to care for them better during healing at an older age. She is 11 1/2 now.

Starpixie
September 1st, 2004, 10:56 AM
Personally, I think if someone wants their daughter to wear earings when they're that young, they should wear clip ons, instead of getting their ears peirced. Most people don't expect kids to wear earings anyway, and if they do, they certainly don't expect them to wear really expesive ones. Besides, with clip ons if they get pulled off they just come off easily, real earings could rip the child's earlobes, inducing a whole lot more pain than pulling a splinter out.
Well the problem is them pulling right off. With a baby, where do you think the first place that clip on is going to go? Right in the mouth.
I haven't decided about getting my daughters done yet. I did get mine done at a year and had no troubles with them.

ClockElf
September 1st, 2004, 10:57 AM
I couldn't see me getting my daughter's (if it is a daughter) ears pierced. It's not really my choice, is it? I'm her father, not her owner, and I know my fiance feels the same way. So, yeah, little Amelia will not get her ears pieced until she wants them herself.

Sleet
September 1st, 2004, 10:59 AM
No piercings on my kids until they're responsible enough to care for the piercing wound themselves. After that, I'll probably fake more resistance to it than I actually feel - if a few piercings are their chosen method of rebellion, I'll consider myself lucky.

Temair
September 1st, 2004, 06:52 PM
I got my ears pierced at age 12, when I decided to start caring about my appearance. I told my oldest that she couldn't have them done unless she took care of them herself. We got them done for her 6th birthday. I had sworn I would never get mine done again, but she wanted me to do it with her, so I agreed. I went first, and I told her it was painful. I asked again if she was sure she wanted them done and she said yes. She shrieked like a banshee and cried for half an hour later. But she loves them. Her little sister witnessed that and said she will never get hers done. We'll see if she sticks to her guns. But it will be her choice, no one else's.

Starry Di
September 2nd, 2004, 07:17 AM

That's cause they don't wash right. You can be fine uncircumsized, as long as you take extra attention to washing the foreskin and behind the foreskin.

Edit : after reading through this thread, if I ever have a girl young enough, I will get her ears pierced at infancy, but it will get done by a doctor.

I don't know, but I guess that from my mother's side of the family, I get ears that don't get easilly infected. The only times my ears have gotten infected was when I was wearing a metal that I was allergic to in them. That's all. And I don't wash them at all, and they don't get infected. I don't know why that is :/ It just is.

I got my ears pierced at 12 and 13 (second hole was at 13 ;)). It really wasn't a big deal for me, but before I finally got the courage to get them pierced, I really wanted for my mother to have them peirced when I was a baby. When I was 9, I really wanted them peirced, but I didn't want the pain, so I refused to let them peirce me. I think I was mostly afraid of the gun.

Edit again to say : If I were to peirce any future daughter's ears, I'd insist that they'd both be done at the same time. I think it's cruel to only have one done at a time, because then kids start to get nervous that the second ear will hurt just as much as the first one. Get 'em done at the same time, and they can't back out from it.

I also think it depends on the kids mood as to if they'll scream bloody horror when they get peirced. I've noticed that my cousins will fall, and if they've just had a good night's sleep, they won't cry. But if it's at the end of the day, they get all whiny and start sobbing up bloody horror right away.

blugirrl1
September 5th, 2004, 05:17 PM
I pierced my daughter's ears when she was three. she cried some and as soon as she saw them in the mirror she stopped. haven't had many problems with them. but i wish i would have done it when she was an infant. just my opnion. :)

misschief
September 5th, 2004, 05:19 PM
I couldn't see me getting my daughter's (if it is a daughter) ears pierced. It's not really my choice, is it? I'm her father, not her owner, and I know my fiance feels the same way. So, yeah, little Amelia will not get her ears pieced until she wants them herself.
exactly how i feel. well.. . i'm not the father, but you know what i mean.

Smiley Girl
September 5th, 2004, 05:21 PM
I had my ears pierced when I was 6... Didn't hurt :) I don't agree with people who do it to their infants, no. I think they should be old enough to make the decision themselves.