PDA

View Full Version : Self Hardening Clays (no oven or kiln needed)

Teshuva3D
February 25th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Hi!!
I got some helpful information in the other clay thread..but would like to see if anyone else here works with the clays which don't require baking or firing.( they're not just used in kindey garten folks.lol..)
I enjoy working with them because they seem resistant to cracking even on pieces which have alot of little parts blended together,take paint quite well,and seem to be very durable just like the firing clays..the only drawback is that you can't make pieces which hold liquid from the non-firing clays..
I recently started working with the Boneware self hardening clay by the Standard Clay Mines in Skillwill,NJ...it has a lovely,stone like color to it..and although it's QUITE sticky..it seems to support it's own weight well if you don't want to have to use alot of armistices..lol..and once dry it's hard..
I've also worked with a terracotta clay, Creative's "Paperclay"( dries light weight and sands well)
So,is anyone out there who uses these??? Thanks in advance..
Tesh
( and for a morbid bit of trivia..taxidermists use these kinds of clays too...but I'm not a taxidermist..lol..so no hate mail please.. :lol: )

WynterWynd
February 25th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I've never used them, but I will keep my eye out for them to give them a try. How long was the standard drying time for a piece?

mucgwyrt
February 26th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Odd question but - does it crack or deteriorate if it's burnt?

WolfMoon
February 26th, 2004, 07:55 AM
I use Paperclay a lot for masks. It's really nice to work with and doesn't weigh a ton on your face.

Teshuva3D
February 26th, 2004, 09:03 AM
I've never used them, but I will keep my eye out for them to give them a try. How long was the standard drying time for a piece?
Hi Vroomboom!!
It depends on the clay and the size of the piece..I made a terracotta preggers lady,solid(was too lazy to hollow her out..lol) about five inches tall..and she took a full month to dry..but smaller pieces,pieces of uniform thickness,or pieces which you construct them around wadded up paper towels or paper(to keep them hollow) only take about a week to ten days..then again, flat thin pieces ( like stick incense burners) seem to dry in a couple days...it really all depends on how wet you keep the clay while you work with it and the kind of piece it is...

Teshuva3D
February 26th, 2004, 09:05 AM
I use Paperclay a lot for masks. It's really nice to work with and doesn't weigh a ton on your face.
wow!! What a great idea!! Don't you just love that clay though??? But whew is it pricey!!
In my area, a package the size of a deck of cards is four bucks...Do you use Creative's "Paperclay"???
I'm hoping you found another kind of paperclay which works beautifully...but isn't so expensive..LOL..

Teshuva3D
February 26th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Odd question but - does it crack or deteriorate if it's burnt?
I would imagine it does..you can't use the self hardening clays to make things that hold liquid...so I'm imagining it's not heat resistant either...that's why I only make stick incense burners..rather than the cone incense burners...

WynterWynd
February 26th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Hi Vroomboom!!
It depends on the clay and the size of the piece..I made a terracotta preggers lady,solid(was too lazy to hollow her out..lol) about five inches tall..and she took a full month to dry..but smaller pieces,pieces of uniform thickness,or pieces which you construct them around wadded up paper towels or paper(to keep them hollow) only take about a week to ten days..then again, flat thin pieces ( like stick incense burners) seem to dry in a couple days...it really all depends on how wet you keep the clay while you work with it and the kind of piece it is...
Thanks for the info! My main curiousity was because of my furry family...just how long I would have to keep a 'wet peice' safe from them.;)

mucgwyrt
February 26th, 2004, 12:03 PM
I would imagine it does..you can't use the self hardening clays to make things that hold liquid...so I'm imagining it's not heat resistant either...that's why I only make stick incense burners..rather than the cone incense burners...

But normal clay can't hold water either, not unless its glazed...
I shall give it a go on a test piece and see :)

argento_occhi
February 28th, 2004, 10:58 AM
i use DAS air-drying clay. great stuff. i get it from my local newsagents. i mainly use it to make pieces to go on my altar, like an ankh or a scarab. i've got some white clay at the moment, hoping to make into a sistrum. (when i get off my butt and get on with it). i find that the drying time depends on the piece. if it's big and thick, expect it to take longer than a small thin pentacle.i've found it takes no more than a few hours, depending on the piece.

bright blessings

argento_occhi

WolfMoon
February 28th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I'm hoping you found another kind of paperclay which works beautifully...but isn't so expensive..LOL..

I threw out the wrapper! It cost me about $6 for a 7"x7"x3" 'brick' of the stuff. Not terribly expensive, and I can get at least three masks out of that much.

Gala
February 28th, 2004, 08:09 PM
The mask idea sounds good. Papier mache is good for masks as well and although it isn't exactly a clay, it really is.. sort of. You can make anything out of it and it's sort of like paper clay.
Dick Blick sells a good dry product to use for paper mache. And if you use an armature, you can make it into any shape you want.
My middle school kids made all kinds of things. I even made a life sized bird bath, of course it had fake water in it, but it was pretty cool. If I find a pic, I'll send it along.

WynterWynd
March 12th, 2004, 02:27 AM
I bought a package of (runs off to find brand name) of Creative Paper Clay. I want to use it to cover the *gulp* skull on a set of antlers I was given. Now the goofy package says to keep the unused portion in an air tight bag....I'll assume a zip-lock type one will be good enough? And then it says to kneed PaperClay with water to keep fresh??? Would that be just enough water to moisten the surface of the clay or what...its very vauge...and I don't want to ruin the clay.

mucgwyrt
March 12th, 2004, 06:04 AM
So, Das clay *does* hold burning charcoal ok.
Would the clay hold water if you coated it with Acrylic?

piglet
December 5th, 2004, 01:37 AM
I just started working with self-hardening clay and am happy that I found this thread! :D I have a few questions and am also interested in the answer to Macha's question (above).

Is there a shrinkage factor when using this type of clay? I know there is for normal kiln-fired clay and i am planning on making insence holders and candle honders so I want to make sure I make the holes the right size. I was also curious about making an armitage. I was thinking about using newspaper and masking tape, would that work ok? Has anyone tried working multimedia elements into their sculptures (glass, tile, shells, ect) and if so, how did it work out?

Also, my boyfriend made an incense holder with the clay and where the burning insence touched the clay there was a burn mark, just for everyone's information.

Lotsa questions here! Hopefully someone can help me out!

-piglet