PDA

View Full Version : Melt & Pour Soap Question

Copperaven
February 29th, 2004, 03:01 AM
did the melt & pour part, got the color & fragrance right, but my nice transparent glycerin soap is dull,:( it doesn't have that nice shiney finish, it cooled and set nicely, but is dull

anyone have any ideas what might be wrong

thanks

Calyx
February 29th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Did you put it in the freezer or did it get condensate on it in any way?
that sometimes makes them dull looking.

Is it an olive oil m&p base? That one's not as shiny for some reason either.

Copperaven
February 29th, 2004, 03:19 AM
ummm no to all 3 questions, and thanks for responding

do you think it would help to wipe the surface with alcohol?

it was very cold in the house when we made it, could that have anything to do with?

yeah yeah I know dumb questions, but a friend asked us to make some for her and I want it to look good before she gets it, I'll try another batch tomorrow

Calyx
February 29th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Coldness does seem to make them a little duller, hence my questions about the fridge or condensating. Exactly how cold was your house?? :lol:

Hopefully the next batch will be shinier! You'll have to post an update. :)

Copperaven
February 29th, 2004, 04:00 AM
how cold? about 65 degrees, we don't run the heater very often and only turn it on at about 60

I'll let you know how the other comes out

Flar's Freyja
February 29th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Did you add fragrance oil? I'm wondering if that could have caused it.

I'm liking the opaque/white better and have been using that instead.

BlueFlame
February 29th, 2004, 08:50 PM
If you really don't like how it looks, you can always Hand-mill it, or "re-batch" it, as it's called.... Or, actualy, no. I just rememberd it takes 2 or more weeks for the soap to totaly cure when you do that.

Nevermind.

Copperaven
February 29th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Freyja ..... Did you add fragrance oil? I'm wondering if that could have caused it.

yep we did, when we make a new batch tonight, we are going to try some essential and some concentrate fragrance

this is for a friend and she wanted the transparent
I myself like the opaque, I put oatmeal and stuff in anyway
this was the first time we had tried the transparent, oh well, try try again they say

BlueFlame ..... If you really don't like how it looks, you can always Hand-mill it, or "re-batch" it, as it's called.... Or, actualy, no. I just rememberd it takes 2 or more weeks for the soap to totaly cure when you do that.

ooops, I hate re-batching, I usually just give it to hubby to use outside for clean up, lol
he is the sweetest smelling guy in town

thanks everyone

Ravensnest
February 29th, 2004, 11:03 PM
It can also depend on the quality of the base. Not all M&P bases are created equally. Some are more transparent than others. Sounds like that may be the culprit.

Copperaven
February 29th, 2004, 11:47 PM
good point, our friend brought it too us to make for her, she loves crafty stuff but burns water, lol poor thing, anyway this is Delta Crafts brand from JoAnns, we had never used it before, always use opaque base

hoping tonights batch turns out better *sigh

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
March 1st, 2004, 12:09 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question about M&P soaps too. For whatever reason, whenever I try to make M&P soap I can't get the fragrance to 'come out.' Coloring it works fine, but whenever I put fragrance in it, and I've tried both the general 'soap fragrance' that you buy at Michael's along with the glycerian and essential oils. But for some reason whenever they finish curing, there is just no scent to the soap at all. It's getting really frustrating. I like the soaps I make, but I would like for them to have some sort of fragrance and not feel like I'm just wasting my time (and money!).

Flar's Freyja
March 2nd, 2004, 12:31 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question about M&P soaps too. For whatever reason, whenever I try to make M&P soap I can't get the fragrance to 'come out.' Coloring it works fine, but whenever I put fragrance in it, and I've tried both the general 'soap fragrance' that you buy at Michael's along with the glycerian and essential oils. But for some reason whenever they finish curing, there is just no scent to the soap at all. It's getting really frustrating. I like the soaps I make, but I would like for them to have some sort of fragrance and not feel like I'm just wasting my time (and money!).

I've noticed something similar. I ordered a fragrance that a friend who makes hot process soaps had used. In her soap, it was very strong. In my M&P soap, I could barely smell it. I don't know for suure, I'm new to this as well, but it does seem that M&P takes the fragrance differently. It's frustrating because if you try to add additional fragrance and add too much it messes with your lather.

I will tell you, though, that the fragrances Michaels and Hobby Lobby sell are worthless. Try real essential oils or higher quality fragrance oils. I just ordered some samples from a new company on e-bay that actually has samples and plans to continue that practice. I'll have them in a few days and will let you know how they are.

I used essential oil in some M&P glycerin and it retained the fragrance just fine. You also know that you have to wrap M&P soap, don't you?

March 2nd, 2004, 09:59 AM
I've noticed something similar. I ordered a fragrance that a friend who makes hot process soaps had used. In her soap, it was very strong. In my M&P soap, I could barely smell it. I don't know for suure, I'm new to this as well, but it does seem that M&P takes the fragrance differently. It's frustrating because if you try to add additional fragrance and add too much it messes with your lather.

I will tell you, though, that the fragrances Michaels and Hobby Lobby sell are worthless. Try real essential oils or higher quality fragrance oils. I just ordered some samples from a new company on e-bay that actually has samples and plans to continue that practice. I'll have them in a few days and will let you know how they are.

I used essential oil in some M&P glycerin and it retained the fragrance just fine. You also know that you have to wrap M&P soap, don't you?

Thanks for the tips. I've tried both high quality fragrance and essential oils and still no luck. Oh and yes, I'm wrapping it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll just have to switch to making my soap from "scratch" so to speak. Maybe I'll have better luck with that.

Flar's Freyja
March 3rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the tips. I've tried both high quality fragrance and essential oils and still no luck. Oh and yes, I'm wrapping it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll just have to switch to making my soap from "scratch" so to speak. Maybe I'll have better luck with that.

Maybe you didn't use enough.....but I can't tell you how much I used because I don't remember. I read that you should use more than you think you need, so I used about twice as much. I also noticed that the M&P I made seemed to need to "cure" for a few days like cold process soap even though they say it doesn't. It actually smelled and lathered better after a few days.

Copperaven
March 3rd, 2004, 02:28 PM
soap update

we have tried various oils both essential and fragrance and no matter what we use the soap remains dull looking, so we have come to the conclusion that it is the base soap its self :(
my friend didn't seem to care she was delighted with the soap, lol

I think I try too hard sometimes :)

Calyx
March 5th, 2004, 11:24 AM
On the fragrance question---yes, it seems like all of the Fragrance oils from Michaels suck in general, with ONE exception---the chamomile!!! It really has a wonderful fragrance and mixes well with others.
One tip....if you add either essential or fragrance oil to your melted base while it's still really hot, it will evaporate it and you will not have much scent, if any. That's happened to me before.

My suggestion is to add colorant first, then anything else (herbs, honey, etc.) and then put your fragrance it. It should almost but not quite be at the *skin* stage. This helps mine stay fragrant better.

I hope this helps....

And Freyja, I too think M&P soaps cure. That's been my experience too. I think they lather better and the scent finalizes itself (you know, sometimes they chance just a little over time) after about 4 days or so...

March 5th, 2004, 11:37 AM
On the fragrance question---yes, it seems like all of the Fragrance oils from Michaels suck in general, with ONE exception---the chamomile!!! It really has a wonderful fragrance and mixes well with others.
One tip....if you add either essential or fragrance oil to your melted base while it's still really hot, it will evaporate it and you will not have much scent, if any. That's happened to me before.

My suggestion is to add colorant first, then anything else (herbs, honey, etc.) and then put your fragrance it. It should almost but not quite be at the *skin* stage. This helps mine stay fragrant better.

I hope this helps....

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to try that.