PDA

View Full Version : Paganism, Wicca and Druidism...what's the difference, Mom?

AuroraSilvermist
March 11th, 2004, 11:34 PM
My nine year old son, Ian, has taken a very sincere interest in his spiritual path. I'm so impressed with his eagerness to learn. Although, because he's young, he does tend to get a bit dazzled by what I call "hocus pocus" (or the more fantastical, movie- and media-inspired view of magic), he realizes that "hocus pocus" isn't real, and that earth-centered religions and beliefs ARE real.

Today, Ian asked me a question I had a hard time giving a solid answer to. He said, "I'm not sure what I'm interested in. Do I want to follow the path of the Wiccan, or do I want to be a Druid, or do I want to be a Pagan? What's the difference, Mom?"

The question caught me off guard. I realize there is no simple answer, and that's what I told Ian. He gave me the greatest response; he said, "I guess I'll have to learn a lot about each one before I can make up my mind."

All this got me to thinking about the differences between various paths, so I thought I'd ask all of you how YOU would explain them (particularly in simple terms that an intelligent kid could understand :) ):

How are Paganism, Wicca and Druidism (and any other paths you want to add!) alike?
How are they different from each other?
What makes a person a Pagan but not a Wiccan (for example)?

I feel like I know these answers in principle, but I find myself embarrassed by my own inability to give a fundemental, academic answer. Anyone want to give it a shot? ;)

RubyRose
March 15th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Okay, here goes:

Paganism, is a word that is used to class all or most of the earth centered religions. It's like a broad term.

I'm finding it hard to define what being a Wiccan means, as I am Wiccan.

I guess a Wiccan, would be someone who believes in the Devine, the Wiccan Rede and the Law of Three. I'm not saying that, that is the be all and end all to being Wiccan.

A druid however is slightly different from a Wiccan though they can still be called Pagans.
From my understanding, Druids have no such Rede to follow, but some Druids may diagree. I also believe that they focus less on the Ceremonial Magics that Wiccans partake in.

Um ... I don't think I answered that too well did I?

I think a google search might be the order of the day eh?

Nantonos
March 15th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Today, Ian asked me a question I had a hard time giving a solid answer to. He said, "I'm not sure what I'm interested in. Do I want to follow the path of the Wiccan, or do I want to be a Druid, or do I want to be a Pagan? What's the difference, Mom?"

The question caught me off guard. I realize there is no simple answer, and that's what I told Ian.

Kudos for saying honestly that you don't know the full answer. Kids learn a lot if the adults around them don't pretend to have all the answers, in my opinion.

He gave me the greatest response; he said, "I guess I'll have to learn a lot about each one before I can make up my mind."

Yes, that's a great answer and an excellent attitude. Kudos to son and mom.

I feel like I know these answers in principle, but I find myself embarrassed by my own inability to give a fundemental, academic answer. Anyone want to give it a shot? ;)

Kids teach us so much by their unending stream of 'but why?' It strips away the comfortable half-truths we wrap ourselves in and forces us to examine whatwe do really know, and to admit we don't know all there is to know, and we are going to find out, together. Kids are great.

fay
March 29th, 2004, 07:27 PM
i would be really interested to hear other peoples opinions on that as i realised when i read this post that i couldnt explain it myself.
i define paganism as all nature based religions, is that right? or is it all religions that arent one of the five major world faiths (christianity, judaism, buddism, hinduism and islam) if i got that wrong im sorry, i didnt mean to offend anyone.
when i tell people that i am a wiccan, my most common response is "whats that?" and i always have a difficult time explaining, so if anyone has any ideas on how you could explain to someone what wicca is and what being a wiccan is it would help. thanks
blessed be

Yvonne Belisle
March 29th, 2004, 08:53 PM
There are a number of out of the broom closet threads in New Pagan that may also be able to help you.