PDA

View Full Version : Black Thumb...

Shy Hawk
July 20th, 2001, 11:15 PM
I've been told I have a Black Thumb...which is horrible because my daddy is a farmer. (Sigh)

So the only thing I have grown without fail is Spearmint and dandilions (lol)....oh and this one desert plant that only needs watering once a month or so....and I almost killed that, if you can believe it.

So basically....what's the easiest thing I can grow? I'm looking towards herbs or flowers....if you have any suggestions, that'd be great, even if I can't plant them for a couple months, I'd like to know what I can work with here.

Thanks a lot!
ShyHawk

EasternPriest
July 21st, 2001, 12:32 AM
once you get mint started, its hard to kill

Yvonne Belisle
July 21st, 2001, 12:38 AM
Crab grass?:D ?:D ?:D ?

Shy Hawk
July 21st, 2001, 12:41 AM
Yeah I know about mint, it spreads like wild fire...hehe.

Crab grass....?:rolleyes: lol:D

Lavender
July 21st, 2001, 12:50 AM
Dandelions aren't so bad...:p The young leaves are good in salads, the roots can be dried & used in a tea as a spring tonic...good for your liver.

Lemon Balm is another good hardy, easy to grow plant (of the mint family as well). Sage, chives, oregano, & thyme. You can get these plants at the garden centre. Once you've put them in the ground, they pretty well look after themselves with minimum help from you. For flowers, I love calendulas (or pot marigolds). They are so bright & sunny & good all around herb as well. I don't know where you live but it might be a bit late in the season to start plants from seeds. The best way is to buy the bedding plants from a garden center. With the exception of the calendula, they're all perenials. Calendula will bloom late into the fall & self-seed quite well. :)

Yvonne Belisle
July 21st, 2001, 12:52 AM
I've got a recipe for dandilion wine.

Shy Hawk
July 21st, 2001, 12:54 AM
I love wine, I'd be interested in the recipe.
And, thank you wildchild, you are always at my back, ready to help! :D

Yvonne Belisle
July 21st, 2001, 01:25 AM
Dandelion wine

2 Quarts dandelion blossoms (no stems)
3 lemons, sliced, peel and all
3 oranges sliced
1 yeast cake
5 pounds sugar
4 quarts water

Pour 4 quarts boiling water over the blossoms and let stand for 3 days. Stir each day. At the end of the third day strain. Add 3 oranges sliced, 3 lemons sliced, peel and all, 1 yeast cake and 5 pounds sugar. Stand 3 days and stir each day. At the end of the third day strain. Let stand in crock 4 weeks, in not too cold a place. Strain, bottle and cap.

Shy Hawk
July 21st, 2001, 01:41 AM
BTW Crab Grass sounds nice. :D :)

Lavender
July 21st, 2001, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Shy Hawk
I love wine, I'd be interested in the recipe.
And, thank you wildchild, you are always at my back, ready to help! :D

:D I wasn't following you! Honest! :D

Lavender
July 21st, 2001, 02:48 AM
Yvonne, have you tried the recipe? Is it as easy as it sounds? I'm one of those cooking-challenged people. :rolleyes:

Yvonne Belisle
July 21st, 2001, 12:49 PM
I haven't had a chance to yet but the cookbook is from the 30's and even then it's a collection of family recipies from new england so it probably is that easy.