PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training...

menolly
March 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
I know I'm starting on this a little late, but my son has never seemed ready for potty training...

The question is - How on earth do I start??? :help:
I am totally and absolutely lost on where to begin and what to do... Please help me!!!

Yvonne Belisle
March 23rd, 2004, 05:44 PM
What worked for me might not work for you lol but here is what I did. When my eldest son was ready we took him out of the diaper and let him run nude or in just a tee shirt. He was already pooping in the potty or this wouldn't have worked. Whenever things popped up so to speak we told him to use the potty. Since he went each time he didn't have any problems learning and it was only two days before I didn't have to tell him to go try anymore and we tucked him in big boy undies told him it was really special that he got to wear them.

morrigen
March 23rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
My guy's only 11 months old....I'm dreading potty training.

I wish I had some advice, but this is all new to me too!

Tho' I did know someone wo had success by throwing a fruit-loop (or other colorful breakfast cereal piece) into the toilet, ad turning it into a game, by getting her little boy to aim and try to "sink" it when he went wees....

just a thought.....good luck!

Mab
March 23rd, 2004, 07:58 PM
my bf's daughter is 19mos old, and she let us all know she was ready by pulling her diaper off all the time. She watched me & her mom go potty, so she knows what to do, the trick now is just getting her to tell us BEFORE she pees!

Gareth
March 23rd, 2004, 08:06 PM
Ok, being the father of 2 boys, I know how to do this.

Make it a game.
One way, have him 'change' the color of the water.
The silly one, you could throw Cheerios in the toilet for 'target' practice!!
Make a stickerboard and let him put a sticker up when he goes on the toilet.

One of my boys had the pull-up pants that had flag or something disappear when he wet them.
He wanted to keep the 'magic' flags so he'd go on the toilet.

Some of those are funny but they all worked.
Remember each child has thier own time to be 'big', it'll come when he's ready.

SilverMaiden
March 23rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
We did the cheerios with the my nephews too. :lol: They loved "sinking" the cheerios.

My nephew Patrick was outside playing in the pool and had to potty. So my sister told him to just go behind the tree and pee on the tree. It took two weeks to convince him that he didn't have to go the tree every time he had to go potty. :hehehehe:

MoonDust
March 23rd, 2004, 08:30 PM
How old is your son?
A good age is 2 to 3 yrs. Though it is better to let things develop slowly and at their own pace. No two kids are alike. I found this great article:
What is the right age? (http://www.parentsplace.com/features/pottytrain/qas/0,,500749_114681,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=7506508)
&
7 ways to know if your child is really ready (http://www.parentsplace.com/features/pottytrain/articles/0,,258706_115583,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=2)

Start by reading potty books to him. Like
The Potty book for boys (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0764152327/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-0537188-2039362#reader-link)
My Big boy potty (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0688170420/qid=1080087677/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/102-0537188-2039362)
Mommy! I have to potty! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965047709/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-0537188-2039362?v=glance&s=books)
Everyone poops (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0916291456/ref=pd_sim_books_5/102-0537188-2039362?v=glance&s=books) (yes I know, but its been around this long for a reason!)

The worst thing you could do is force it on him. Or make this out or be a trying or negative experience. Lots of praise, Lotís of love, Lotís of patience & understanding and you guysíll be ok.

zehava
March 23rd, 2004, 08:53 PM
food colouring! i put a few drops of it into the toilet and my kids thought it was a blast to use it b/c the water was coloured. :lol:

-z

menolly
March 24th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all your ideas and experiences :)

I think the main problem with me starting to potty-train my son is the sheer lack of communication skills. He's always had a problem with his speech & comprehension skills, so trying to explain anything to him that requires more than a 'Yes', 'No' or 'Okay' is nigh on impossible! He's going to be three in less than a month, and will be starting Nursery School in September. I'm not sure if this is so, but I feel like he should be well down the potty-training road by that time, but how am I supposed to explain it all to him if he doesn't understand me?
I'm getting really upset about this right now, and I don't know why!

Gareth
March 24th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I got a question.
Is there a man you REALLY trust to show him how?
I literally had to show my youngest how it was done.
This is something I was very uncomfortable with, but it had to be done. :geez: :sick:

menolly
March 24th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Yeah, his father has always played a huge part in his life (they love each other so much!) so I suppose he could... I'd have to ask him about it.
Thanks for the idea :hugz:

Yvonne Belisle
March 24th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I got a question.
Is there a man you REALLY trust to show him how?
I literally had to show my youngest how it was done.
This is something I was very uncomfortable with, but it had to be done. :geez: :sick:

You reminded me of something from the day I taught my eldest. I taught him to sit as I dont have the equipment to show how to aim it. My ex came home and Chomper showed him and Dale looked at me and said "why is my son peeing sitting down???" I told him I don't have the equipment to show him so he knelt down and showed him. My son thought he ment grab tight and yank as hard as you can so he did. The look of betrayel on his face was priceless but after that he did stand. As a matter of fact my older son taught all the younger kids including my daughter. She used to stand on the toilet or straddle it so she could go facing it. :) Thank you for those memories.

MoonDust
March 25th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Thanks for all your ideas and experiences :)

I think the main problem with me starting to potty-train my son is the sheer lack of communication skills. He's always had a problem with his speech & comprehension skills, so trying to explain anything to him that requires more than a 'Yes', 'No' or 'Okay' is nigh on impossible! He's going to be three in less than a month, and will be starting Nursery School in September. I'm not sure if this is so, but I feel like he should be well down the potty-training road by that time, but how am I supposed to explain it all to him if he doesn't understand me?
I'm getting really upset about this right now, and I don't know why!
:hugz:
Don't worry! He'll learn honest! He will not be a 35year old man in diepees. Honest! Every childs development is different. He's just going at his own pace. My sister was 3 and still leanrning how to use the potty and there were no developmental hang ups because of it. She's actually the most well adjusted of the 3. So give it time. :hugz: