View Full Version : Glycerin Soap Problems!

Bainidhe Dub
March 28th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Ok, so I figureed I'd get myself some glycerin soap to try making my own (mostly 'cuz it's melt and pour and how difficult can THAT be??) Well, I found that the melt n' pour part is easy - but how on earth do you get the soap out of the mold without using a knife? (thereby putting marks in the soap). I tried spray veggie oil (a hint in one of my mom's "Do-It-Yourself-In-30-Minutes" books) and it didn't completely work, I still had to use a knife.

Any hints for this kitchen (challenged) witch?

March 28th, 2004, 05:02 PM
i put mine in the fridge after pouring. when the soap is hard enough, it should pop out with a little wiggling of the mold.

what kind of mold did you use?

Bainidhe Dub
March 28th, 2004, 05:06 PM
It's just a plastic one I found at my local craft shop - they're oval/circular shapes.. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough for them to cool (since I don't put them in the fridge, I let them sit for about 45 minutes)

March 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
i expect that would be the problem. sometimes 45 min is enough, but if it is humid where you are, or if you have a lot of softening additrives, that will make the soap take longer to set.

March 28th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Yep, BD is right....I live in humidity central and sometimes it just takes them a really long time! The freezer works well also, but you need to wipe them off when they come out because they will condensate and it will make crystals on the soap.
Anything like shea butter or honey, oil, etc. will also make the hardening process take much longer, like several hours, I've found. :)
And, if you use a coconut base M&P, that stuff is the very dickens to get out of molds. I've actually broken a mold by pushing on it to get the soap out! :rolleyes:

March 29th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Try puting youre molds in the freezer. My goatmilk soap is verry soft and is a paine to get out of the molds. I put it in the freezer and let it get hard. It gets solid faster and the little bit of moisture caused by it thawing makes it slide out easyer. Just apply a little pressure to the mold and rotate around the whole mold, yull see the mold develop air pockets then it should come lose. But be aware this will cause youre soap to sweat. it never hurts mine though. Happy soaping! :)

P.S. dont forget to let youre soaps set for a few days to harden or they wont last long.