View Full Version : Mice in the kitchen

March 29th, 2004, 01:21 PM
What is the best way catch a mouse (or mice) humanely before my cat gets to them? I am having a rodent problem in my kitchen, but it seems the mice are invisible! I never see them, but they let me know they're there by eating nuts stored in my cabinet and such.

How can I get them out?

I don't even know if my cat WOULD go for them (or it) since she's indoors and the only thing she's caught and killed are flies (and her previous owners had her declawed).

Suggestions anyone?

March 29th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Well.. rather than catch the mouse, you could take away the temptation.. Just put anything they usually go for into Tupperware containers.. Maybe they'll get bored and go elsewhere...

March 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM
I've been doing that too, but apparently they like dirt too! (peat moss I have stored for planting and things). They're putting holes in the walls behind my kitchen cabinets and into the cabinets themselves :(

March 29th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Well, there are humane traps out there.. But I wouldn't know where to find them or how much they'd cost...
The cat hasn't shown any interest at all? Not following them from room to room, as they scurry through the walls?

March 29th, 2004, 01:50 PM
she's shown some interest.. I opened the cabinet and she's stood up on her hind legs to peer into it. She does know something is in there and she's very curious, I just don't know if she'll actually do anything :lol:

Yvonne Belisle
March 29th, 2004, 02:10 PM
You can search online for have a heart traps. By the way we had a declawed cat when I was little she brought down eastern blue jays and squirrels so she can nail them.

March 29th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Hardware stores have all kinds of traps... and yea, containerizing things is a good idea. There are five gallon buckets with lids there too, in most stores, so the peat moss can go in it. Odd that you are just complaining now though, Oh, wait... you are back East... See, it is warm here now, and they are mostly gone back outside. Around here, they only come in for the winter.... Maybe it is still cold where you are... anyway...Good luck

March 29th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Your cat will eat it :(.....we had a family of baby mice living somewhere in the house. The mommy mouse came in to escape the cold I guess....and made a home in my husbands office. Every now and then, you'd see something scurry quick as lightening across the floor. Cutest little things. Then my cat thru up one of the poor little things one day. He's strictly inside....doesn't even look twice at a spider...but loved those scurrying little mice :(

March 29th, 2004, 03:14 PM
If your cat can catch it, she probably will. Might be harder without claws, though.

Check around the local hardware stores or Home Despot. The thing with the humane traps, though, is that you have to take the mice at least a mile away, if not more, or they will just come back. And, since it's still cold, they will come back.

I would suggest trapping them and releaseing now, and when it gets warmer, check the entire foundation of the house to see if you can find where they came in. In the long run, the only way to stop them is to seal up the entrance they are using. Don't wait too long though. They can chew through the wiring and cause all kinds of trouble.