PDA

View Full Version : my website

Eclectic Celt
March 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM
merry meet!
I have made my own website if anyone wants to check it out!
It's about Wicca and contains the rede and much more!.
Please take a look and let me know what you think and if there are any spelling mistakes etc. :lol:
Can you please sign my guest book too!
I would apreciate the advice from all of you!
MERRY PART
and Blessed be!

Nighthawk
March 29th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Sure, let me look ... Uhh.... how do I get to it?? I do not see any clicky buttons

Taren
March 29th, 2004, 05:46 PM
I would love to see your site but there's no link!

dragonspirit 69
March 29th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Woul dbe happy to stop by but no way to get there . I'll keep my eyes open for the site address.

Eclectic Celt
March 31st, 2004, 12:59 PM
merry meet!
oops! :bigredblu I can't believe I forgot the damn link! :lol:
Here you go!
www.freewebs.com/p3wicca
your comments would be greatfully apreciated! :lol:
merry part and blessed be

Morgandria
March 31st, 2004, 01:29 PM
A few things:

1) I know most non-Wiccan paths would heartily disagree with your idea that the Rede is for ALL pagan paths. They do NOT all understand and follow the Wiccan Rede. Nor do all of these paths follow the 3-fold Law, or have any fear of negative consequences for not following it OR the Rede.

2) What you have posted is properly The Rede of the Wiccae, by Lady Gwen Thompson. The Rede itself is just "An' it harm none, do as ye will."

3) Just on a web design level, having all those "Type your title here" things looks poor. Also, some of your font colour choices make reading your page impossible.

4) Again, NOT all Pagan paths follow the same beliefs as Wicca. They may not use the 8 Sabbats of Wicca at all, and they certainly do NOT nescessarily celebrate their holidays the same way a Wiccan group might. Such a general statement is bound to be incorrect.

5) Some of your definitions are obviously personal beliefs and not the common definition for the terms - I, for example, would never
define Wicca as a more user friendly term for witchcraft!.Being a wiccan is sometimes heard of as being less traditional than actual witches, as Wicca is a religion and Witchcraft is the practice of magic. They are not synonymous.

There are many other definitions for terms on your page that may be your personal viewpoint, but I would not term as correct, such as spells, spellcraft, enchant, initiation, Samhain, Summerlands, visualization, wort, and Yule. You might want to actually look up some of these terms on other sites or in reputable books.

5) A small nit-pick which you can feel free to ignore - the punctuation and grammar on the page make it difficult to follow sometimes, as the flow of language seems to be broken in odd places.

Other than those, I think you could be off to a good web design start - the template you used is nice. I do think, tho, that you need to do more reading and research before you post things on your site. Good luck with your site and your learning in the future!

-M.

Heathen Dawn
March 31st, 2004, 02:07 PM
Congratulations, p3! I’ve just started my own website (here (http://www.geocities.com/eclecticsatyr/), but it’s not yet functional; I’ll add it to my profile when all the links work).

On a personal note, I have to say I said “argh!” when I entered your website, because of all the bright reds. Bright red drives me crazy. But this may not apply to other people.

The combination of dark red with dark purple is unreadable.

The Wiccan Rede is only for Wiccans. Other pagans couldn’t care less about it. I think the Rede is a precious treasure, but an Ásatrúar would likely shrug it off as incompatible with his heroic morality.

Overall, very nice.

Eclectic Celt
March 31st, 2004, 04:45 PM
merry meet again!
Wow thanks for that,but I wasn't expecting a slanging match!
But your points have been noted and I will change the color scheme! :lol:
As for the Wiccan Rede when I have posted in response to the rede here,most of you have said that not only Wiccans follow the rede and other pagans do follow it.Now your saying that it is only for Wiccan's(I can't keep up with you).
All of the info I have put on there is from books such as The Real Witches Hand Book by Kate West,The Book of shadows by N.E.Genge,The Complete Book Of Incences,Oils & Brews by Scott Cunningham,Charms Spells And Formulas by Ray T. Malbrough, The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall and The Encyclopedia Of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham.
Other info was found on the following websites...
www.avalonia.co.uk
www.thewiccabox.co.uk
www.paganwiccan.com

So I think that my interpretations of the words mentioned is spott on!
Thanks for taking the time to look!
untill next time
blessed be!

Morgandria
March 31st, 2004, 07:00 PM
1) I don't really know what thread you're referring to, but it's called the Wiccan Rede for a reason - it's Wiccan. Wicca is not the be-all and end-all of Paganism; it just usually happens to be the first thing people encounter when looking into paganism because of it's current popularity.

Whether or not individual adherents of other pagan faiths think it has any value is an individual matter. However,l non-Wiccan pagan religions do not use the Wiccan Rede or the Law of Three in any form - if you look into such faiths as Asatru, Druidism, Celtic Recons, Greek Recons, Santeria, and Voudoun, as well as many many others, you'll find no mention of the Wiccan Rede in their core beliefs. You may find concepts with similar premisce, but they certainly aren't the same thing.

2) If you are posting personal interpretations of terms, rather than defintions of terms, then say so on your site.

If you compare the definition of Wicca on this page, one of your source page - http://www.avalonia.co.uk/wicca/lessons/lesson1.htm - to the one on your pages, you will see a large difference:

Wicca is an Earth-based, Nature focused spirituality, drawing on the beliefs and practices of pantheism, gnosticism, ceremonial magick, witchcraft and the pagan religions of the old worlds.

Although the words "Wicca" and "Witchcraft" are often used interchangeably, it is very important to note that THEY ARE NOT the same thing, although there is a substantial overlap.

That's a fair different statement from your own:

Wicca: a more user friendly term for witchcraft!.Being a wiccan is sometimes heard of as being less traditional than actual witches

I would re-evaluate your interpretation. Otherwise people(at least those who don't know better) will assume you have posted proper definitions of the terms you've listed, and you mayl be giving them misinformation.

3) I'm sorry you think my critique of your site is "slanging". I'm not trying to be rude or anything - I just think that some of your information is really misinformation, and I want to help you present a polished, informative site. If you don't really want a critique, or any other form of criticism, just say so, and I'll back off.

-M.

Taren
March 31st, 2004, 10:18 PM
Really now... be a good Welsh babe and call it the Wiccan Rede, cause that's what it is. Paganism is simply the belief in multiple gods, so that pretty well covers all old day relgions, right? Well the Wiccan Rede is Wiccan, applying only to Wiccans, not all Pagans. You cannot call it the Pagan Rede, because it is exclusive to Wicca.

Hwyl...

Eclectic Celt
April 1st, 2004, 05:24 PM
merry meet
changes have been made to my web-site...I hope you will find them to be correct! :lol:
Thankyou for your reply's I hope that I will get more views.
Criticism is a part of life and we all have to take it on the chin! :lol:
untill next time
Blessed be!

mothwench
April 1st, 2004, 05:57 PM
merry meet again!
Wow thanks for that,but I wasn't expecting a slanging match!
But your points have been noted and I will change the color scheme! :lol:
As for the Wiccan Rede when I have posted in response to the rede here,most of you have said that not only Wiccans follow the rede and other pagans do follow it.Now your saying that it is only for Wiccan's(I can't keep up with you).
All of the info I have put on there is from books such as The Real Witches Hand Book by Kate West,The Book of shadows by N.E.Genge,The Complete Book Of Incences,Oils & Brews by Scott Cunningham,Charms Spells And Formulas by Ray T. Malbrough, The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall and The Encyclopedia Of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham.
Other info was found on the following websites...
www.avalonia.co.uk
www.thewiccabox.co.uk
www.paganwiccan.com

So I think that my interpretations of the words mentioned is spott on!
Thanks for taking the time to look!
untill next time
blessed be!

huh? can i have a link to that thread? i for one personnally don't follow the rede. but other then that i think your site is fine, really all you have to do is post a little disclaimer on each page saying that this is your personal view of things.
:) i think you did great for a start, i once tried to set up a website but gave up after about three pages. :rolleyes:

Eclectic Celt
April 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM
huh? can i have a link to that thread? i for one personnally don't follow the rede. but other then that i think your site is fine, really all you have to do is post a little disclaimer on each page saying that this is your personal view of things.
:) i think you did great for a start, i once tried to set up a website but gave up after about three pages. :rolleyes:
merry meet
Of corse you can! :lol: the link is...
www.freewebs.com/p3wicca
Have fun looking around and please sign my guest book! Criticism is also welcome there too! :lol:
Blessed Be

mothwench
April 1st, 2004, 06:43 PM
hehehe, i meant the thread where ppl said most pagans follow the rede. but thanks anyway. lol

Eclectic Celt
April 5th, 2004, 05:36 PM
merry meet!
I couldn't find the link you requested,but I did find this....
But you will have to find the thread cause i dunno how to add it to this post! :lol:
It's called..How many Wiccans are out there?
By me!
And look at posts 31 and 34!
These posts also have me querying the Rede itself!
Let me know if you find them!
Blessed Be!

OpheliaDrowns
April 11th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Ur site is really nice ^_^

I attempted at one, it's still going lol, not quite good tho :( Ah well.

Blessed Be
Sia

Eclectic Celt
April 11th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Ur site is really nice ^_^

I attempted at one, it's still going lol, not quite good tho :( Ah well.

Blessed Be
Sia

Merry Meet
Are you a :RuNew: iff you are welcome and thanks for the praise for my site! :lol:
Blessed Be

OpheliaDrowns
April 11th, 2004, 05:42 PM
yep i'm a lil' newbie lol. U welcome for the praise lol

Blessed Be
Sia

poetic
May 15th, 2004, 09:46 PM
It is a good start! Notice how annoying sentences are when punctuated always with an exclamation point! From a web design point of view, you could get more creative with graphics and all (I know some people don't like that, but I do). On the herbs/crystals page the font colors get hard to read- I would recomend picking a readable color and sticking with it (unless it means something, liking groupings). The whole "learn with me" thing is a little cheesy, and some of your info is questionable. All in all, not bad. Keep it up. :woot:

Mouse
May 15th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Dont worry about people "slaging you out" p3.. they did it to me when i made my first site too, but all that critisisum does come in handy!
Im not trying to upset you but here is what i find wrong with your site, (first impression) i find the background very destracting, it drove my eyes insane and i think it makes the page look very cluttered. The red and the purple dont seem to work together.. especially on that background.
one of the pictures on the guest book page isnt there, and after you sign the guest book a error msg (error 500) comes up.. and thats a bad thing!
I have not had time to read all the info yet.. but i will. i love the "learning" aprotch you've taken :reading:
Miriam..

AterCorax
July 9th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Eclectic Celt,

Why not offer personal essays on various Wiccan/Pagan topics instead of just repeating the same old info that can be found on thousands other websites?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I just think it would be more interesting and original.

-Ater

Eclectic Celt
July 10th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Eclectic Celt,

Why not offer personal essays on various Wiccan/Pagan topics instead of just repeating the same old info that can be found on thousands other websites?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I just think it would be more interesting and original.

-Ater

Merry Meet
Thanks for your input, I havve actually given up on my ewb-site for now until I find a much better web host.That was all I could do with it cause it would only allow me to do 7 pages of info and that just isn't enough!
So thanks and watch this space and in the near future it will be a much better web-site Ihope!Lol
Blessed Be