PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Wiccan Mandela

BlueFlame
April 5th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Definitions of Mandala ("magic circle") on the Web:

A visual symbol used to focus mediation (as in dhyana yoga), bringing into unity the structure of the inner self with that of the whole cosmos.
www.aar-site.org/syllabus/syllabi/c/cannon/r201glos.htm

Used as a point of concentration in Tantric Buddhism, is usually a painted circular diagram or sacred circle which represents the unfolding of the cosmos.
www.siamese-dream.com/reference/buddhist_glossary.html

(mun´ d l, mahn dä´ lä) [Sanskrit- circle, center] a traditional design often utilizing the circle—symbol of the cosmos—and the square—symbol of the man-made world. Mandalas generally exhibit a center, radial symmetry, and cardinal points. (after Argüelles, Mandala)
www.abgoodwin.com/mandala/gloss.shtml

It's also interesting to see mandalas through out societies, as Joseph Cambell talks about in his book "The Power of Myth". Some Native Americans, also create mandalas, which have similar characteristics to Buddhist ones. Circular design, radial symmetry, repeating patterns.

Wiccans too, can create their own mandalas. In Wiccan belief, the understanding the cycles of nature are important in becoming more spiritually aware, and what better way to understand these cycles, then to create a diagram of them?

Heres one, out of many infinite ways, to make one:

To begin, take a piece of paper, and draw a circle on it. (A compass will help.) The circle is a symbol of the universe, and especially important in Wiccan rituals. Let this circle be a microcosm of how Wiccans view nature. Divide the circle into quarters with an X, and lightly color in the quadrants with each elemental color, in the appropriate quadrant, and perhaps a silver or white circle in the center, for the 5th element. Or maybe even a ying-yang to represent the God and Goddess.

Draw another circle around the center, and in each quadrant fill in a picture of the seasons. Maybe a snowflake for winter, leaf for fall etc, or you could do a picture of a tree through the 4 seasons. Draw another circle around the seasons, and fill in the moon phases. Maybe in another circle, you can fill in the times of day (noon, sunset, midnight, sunrise)

It's fun to see just how many cycles will fit into this pattern, maybe a human life cycle, (Birth, maturity/parenthood, old age, death/rebirth), or how about a food chain? (photosynthetic organism, primary consumer, secondary consumer, decomposer) Or the Water cycle? (body of water, evaporation, clouds, rain)

Around the edge of the circle, you may want to mark the 8 Wiccan holidays, or I wrote that "We all come from the Goddess" chant.

Like I said before, there are infinite possibilities, so be creative!

Kadynas
April 6th, 2004, 09:42 AM
If anyone with a scanner would like to post, I'd love to see them. :)

BlueFlame
May 30th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I photoshoped this one:

Faeawyn
May 30th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I have one too :) I didn't do this one, but found it and love it :hehehehe:

Kadynas
June 1st, 2004, 05:54 PM
Those are both beautiful! :)