PDA

View Full Version : Evil Bible

Klucky
April 10th, 2004, 05:25 PM
I'm just curious to peoples' thoughts on this site.

http://www.evilbible.com/

-Klucky

Betah
April 10th, 2004, 07:34 PM
:lookaroun Preachers and clergy the world over are clearly part of a conspiracy!! :lol:
*Wanders off muttering about context.

Heathen Dawn
April 14th, 2004, 04:21 AM
It’s a good site to direct proselytising fundamentalists to. It’s not a good site to dwell on if you’re not a fundamentalist, because it’s so negative.

Morr
April 14th, 2004, 04:28 AM
I think the hate this site projects towards the bible and the religions who follow the bible's teachings, is not better then the hate the bible may promote or teach towards groups of people who dont follow its teachings.

But I'm interested in reading what it has to say - though I have never been an advocate of Athiests' debates since they immidiately shoot down ANY kind of possibility of ANY kind of Diety or Divine force - And in my humble opinion, if youre going to have a respectable Theological discuission - You have to have all areas open to debate, speculation and possibilities.

Some Athiests are no better then the Islamic Terrorists or the diff Christian or Jewish fundamentalists -
They hate because others believe in something different.
And they attack those whom they hate (in one way or another).

Heathen Dawn
April 14th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Some Athiests are no better then the Islamic Terrorists or the diff Christian or Jewish fundamentalists -
They hate because others believe in something different.

This is so true. I was hatred-filled, intolerant of other beliefs both when I was an atheist and when I was an Orthodox Jew. Only Wicca has cured me of that.

The Evil Bible site makes me want to cry. :(

Klucky
April 14th, 2004, 03:48 PM
I just can't believe somebody went through the entire Bible just to point everything out. However, when I look at the stuff, it does scare me in different ways.

-Klucky

dragonspirit 69
April 14th, 2004, 11:17 PM
just makes me want to shake my head to think that some one took that much time to disprove the bible when they could have done soo much more with that time.

Thalias_Smile
April 14th, 2004, 11:33 PM
:floating: While I agree that the Bible, particularly the OT, is filled w/much hate mongering, and other topics listed in afore-mentioned post, I tend to try and not feel hateful towards those who have written it. I also try not to be so judgemental of those who see it as being literal, and take it all as something that should be current law. It is willfull ignorance that causes these people to ignore the true message of Christ, which was actually quite revolutionary for its time, and still would be if someone were to actually attempt to implement it. I believe in a Messianic figure, though my views on Yeshua and his message are quite different from most people's. Let's just say Bishop Spong would LOVE me :lol:

Anyway, lets not focus so much on the hate others dish out...lets worry about how WE affect the world...just a thought... :colorful:

Shanti
April 14th, 2004, 11:54 PM
I spent the last few hours on this site and compared its passages to a couple of bibles. I have read the bible before and didnt like it. Well, the info is acurate as far as I can see. Some words were not idenitcal since I used a couple of differant bibles, but they meant the same thing. Glad to have found this website. Thanks.

Now when I say that I wont identify with a god who instills fear and pain and so on, I have a good referrance point for my debates.
Thanks again.

guhlitz
April 15th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Klucky, Parodies are a dime a dozen,
you want a bakers dozen, well, please,
I think you know where to find the gnostic reality.
On the record; I don't know you age, and think
you shouldn't be asking such mature quesions................

SacredWithin
April 15th, 2004, 10:21 AM
I looked at the front page and I put it on my Hate Sites list on my religious website. We do not allow religious tolerance and we work well against it.

Djiril
April 15th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Well, it makes some good points and seems to have accurate information. From the parts I read I don't see anything wrong with it since it mostly lets the bible speak for itself and gives credit where credit is due.

For the people who consider it a hate site, do you think it's any worse than Why Wiccans Suck (http://www.whywiccanssuck.com/)?

Heathen Dawn
April 15th, 2004, 11:47 AM
For the people who consider it a hate site, do you think it's any worse than Why Wiccans Suck (http://www.whywiccanssuck.com/)?

Funny you should say that, since I have a low opinion of WWS. The self-righteousness of the anti-fluffbunnies is getting on my nerves. Now I’m not a fluffbunny, I’m a white-lighter (http://www.geocities.com/eclecticsatyr/nodarkside.htm), but I have nothing against fluffbunnies, and I think fluffbunny-bashing is as bad as Christian-bashing (thanks also to Ben Gruagach for driving that point home (http://www.hollow-hill.com/grotto/Bashing_Fluffy_Bunnies.html). That reminds me, I forgot to link to Ben G’s page on my site. I’ll do it now).

Shanti
April 15th, 2004, 12:00 PM
In my opinion...

WWS is basically an opinion. Take it or leave it....I left it.
Evil Bible is a bible study. I studied.

Nighthawk
April 15th, 2004, 12:10 PM
I have no comment. I did not say no opinion. I will just not share it with public.

KaimelarFeylove
April 15th, 2004, 12:12 PM
It seems amuseing, although the fact that it makes the non christians seem as bad as the Fundies themselves. But i would like to ask some die-hard christians i know *coughmysistercough* about the whole rape thing, along with the others, just to see if she has an awnser.. but that would require memorizeing some verses...

I think the site would be much better if it wasnt so negative.. its just giving some Christans more fuel to say that others are just as bad.

I try to be tolerant of everyone, set a good example, you know?

Klucky
April 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM
It seems amuseing, although the fact that it makes the non christians seem as bad as the Fundies themselves. But i would like to ask some die-hard christians i know *coughmysistercough* about the whole rape thing, along with the others, just to see if she has an awnser.. but that would require memorizeing some verses...

I think the site would be much better if it wasnt so negative.. its just giving some Christans more fuel to say that others are just as bad.

I try to be tolerant of everyone, set a good example, you know?

But then again, the Bible was written back in the times when rape and such were okay. People evolved and the Bible didn't, I guess, because it's considered holy and holy things should not be tampered with. *thoughtful pause* ...I completely forget what I was aiming at there.

I also love what Shanti said. :)

-Klucky

Shanti
April 15th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks klucky :)

Klucky
April 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Can you please elaborate on that?

-Klucky

Nighthawk
April 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
I wonder what that was all about???

Klucky
April 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM
I wonder what that was all about???

*shrugs* Drive by flaming?

-Klucky

Heathen Dawn
April 15th, 2004, 04:21 PM
But then again, the Bible was written back in the times when rape and such were okay. People evolved and the Bible didn't, I guess, because it's considered holy and holy things should not be tampered with.

That’s one of the reasons why I see great virtue in Wicca’s being only 50 years old. It doesn’t have any baggage from ancient times.

Doodlebug
April 15th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Well, I guess I have a different view of the website from many people who have posted about it. I'd have to say that it exposes parts of the Bible for what it is. The Bible was written by humans and therefore does have some pretty gruesome parts in it. I believe it is a good thing that there are websites out there that show the not so pretty parts of the Bible. People should be aware of these parts and many are not aware. I respect the Bible as a spiritual holy book that Christians follow but it is not all good like some people seem to assume. Not all parts of life are happy and joyful and the Bible is included. I found the website to be rather interesting.

Xander67
April 15th, 2004, 11:13 PM

In the Bible, God says to test the scriptures to see if they are true...
this in my opinion gives me the right to ask any question I want...

no one has the right to tell anyone they shouldnt ask questions that is why we are here to learn.

Calyx
April 16th, 2004, 09:42 AM
OK, I guess I will throw my two cents in here.....
That was an interesting web site for several reasons, IMO. I didn't go through it all, but did scroll through a good deal of it...

The first is that I think that you can take just about any verse of the bible and separate it from its adjoining text and make it into whatever you want. Some of those verses were clearly part of a story, and probably shouldn't have been culled out like that. The story about Abraham and his son is part of a longer story, in which God is testing Abraham's faith to see how righteous he is and reading his heart. The verse about him taking his son up the mountain to sacrifice is part of that story.

As far as all of the rape, murder, plundering, etc. Well, hello! Humans have ALWAYS done this for as long as we've been able to stand upright. These deeds, while not nice, are part of warfare and all that goes along with conquering other countries. It started way before the Bible and continues today. I mean, look at the Crusades, Vietnam, Iraq, Bosnia, WW1 and 2, etc. All of this behavior continues to this day. The bible is a history book and it's not surprising that this type of stuff is in there. That's what they did. Struggles for land, power, wealth, etc. were and still are pretty brutal. The ancient cultures did it as well. Think of the Egyptians, Macedonians, blah blah blah. Think of the Greeks and Romans, and even Attila the Hun.

To continue that thought, it's also common for the conquerer to go around trying to establish whatever religion they practice, and getting rid of the old power structure in the previous religion as expediently as possible. hence all the murdering of the Baal worshippers, priests, etc. Hell, they got rid of all the Gnostics once the Emperor of Rome and the Pope decided how *they* wanted Christianity to be. Everyone who disagreed with what became the standardized form of Christianity got fed to the lions or killed in other unpleasant ways. Look at the Cathars, even up in the early medieval times. The Chruch got rid of them too.

As far as the "Jesus is a liar" part....well, I have always thought that Jesus's talks were more of the metaphorical and allegorical type rather than, take this completely literally. Speaking broadly and not specifically, if that makes sense. Look at his use of parables to tell stories. I guess I have never considered them to be actually true, as in, if I pray to God to move that mountain behind my house it's actually going to happen. But that's just me. ;)

I like the Bible and enjoy reading it. It's a history book and some of it is very accurate. And, like someone else pointed out, there are light and dark sides to everything, so why should the Bible be any different. It also has beautiful love stories, poetry, and words of wisdom in it as well. God said in the bible that he can be a NOT nice guy, so he's not all love and light and fluff either. And in the times we live in, that's seems to be true.

I myself think it's quite interesting that Solomon had 300 wives or so, give or take a couple of hundred, and even more concubines, and that was ok by God apparently, but the catholic church says divorce is wrong and only one at a time. Well, almost all religions say only one at a time. Not trying to bash catholicism! Soooo, who decided that? Some woman hater who helped shape the bible, that's probably who.

So, in summary, I guess my whole point of this novel was that everyone interprets things differently. Some are more radical than others, as evidenced by that website. find out what you think and go from there. Don't let anyone shove their dogma down your throat. Are they wrong? Are you? Why waste time trying to change the world to your beliefs? Not you Kluckster, the web man and all the other "converters". If what you feel feels "right" to you, then it is. No matter what that belief is. :)

Djiril
April 16th, 2004, 01:41 PM
The first is that I think that you can take just about any verse of the bible and separate it from its adjoining text and make it into whatever you want. Some of those verses were clearly part of a story, and probably shouldn't have been culled out like that. The story about Abraham and his son is part of a longer story, in which God is testing Abraham's faith to see how righteous he is and reading his heart. The verse about him taking his son up the mountain to sacrifice is part of that story.That is true, but even in the context of the larger story,
just about any interpretation you can give it is disturbing. The implication seems to be that if you hear a voice in your head telling you to kill someone, you should do it unless the voice tells you to stop.
The only interpretation I have heard that makes it less disturbing is that the voice that Abraham heard was not the voice of God but an echo of the gods of his childhood, but this is not a popular one among scholars.

As far as all of the rape, murder, plundering, etc. Well, hello! Humans have ALWAYS done this for as long as we've been able to stand upright. These deeds, while not nice, are part of warfare and all that goes along with conquering other countries. It started way before the Bible and continues today. I mean, look at the Crusades, Vietnam, Iraq, Bosnia, WW1 and 2, etc. All of this behavior continues to this day. The bible is a history book and it's not surprising that this type of stuff is in there. That's what they did. Struggles for land, power, wealth, etc. were and still are pretty brutal. The ancient cultures did it as well. Think of the Egyptians, Macedonians, blah blah blah. Think of the Greeks and Romans, and even Attila the Hun.

To continue that thought, it's also common for the conquerer to go around trying to establish whatever religion they practice, and getting rid of the old power structure in the previous religion as expediently as possible. hence all the murdering of the Baal worshippers, priests, etc. Hell, they got rid of all the Gnostics once the Emperor of Rome and the Pope decided how *they* wanted Christianity to be. Everyone who disagreed with what became the standardized form of Christianity got fed to the lions or killed in other unpleasant ways. Look at the Cathars, even up in the early medieval times. The Chruch got rid of them too.

The point is not that these things happened, but that they were supposedly commanded by God, the same God who many consider to be the sourse of all morality. The disturbing part is not that the bible says that people did these things, but that they were right in doing them.

As far as the "Jesus is a liar" part....well, I have always thought that Jesus's talks were more of the metaphorical and allegorical type rather than, take this completely literally. Speaking broadly and not specifically, if that makes sense. Look at his use of parables to tell stories. I guess I have never considered them to be actually true, as in, if I pray to God to move that mountain behind my house it's actually going to happen. But that's just me. ;)
I do agree with you there.:)

I myself think it's quite interesting that Solomon had 300 wives or so, give or take a couple of hundred, and even more concubines, and that was ok by God apparently, but the catholic church says divorce is wrong and only one at a time. Well, almost all religions say only one at a time. Not trying to bash catholicism! Soooo, who decided that? Some woman hater who helped shape the bible, that's probably who.
Why a "woman hater"? Most people I have heard argue against polygamy argue from a womans rights perspective because polygamy is usually associated with patriarchal societies. :huh:

Rianna
April 16th, 2004, 02:04 PM

That's probably the smartest quote I've read all day. We got to remember that ALL sacred books were written by us messed up humans, and that history is made of OUR mistakes. If all that stuff wasn't in the Bible, it'd be all lovey-dovey crap that's unhistorical and incorrect.

Rianna
April 16th, 2004, 02:09 PM
The point is not that these things happened, but that they were supposedly commanded by God, the same God who many consider to be the sourse of all morality. The disturbing part is not that the bible says that people did these things, but that they were right in doing them.

I do agree with you there.:)

Why a "woman hater"? Most people I have heard argue against polygamy argue from a womans rights perspective because polygamy is usually associated with patriarchal societies. :huh:

I've been studying that and God never accepeted Solomon's multiple wives and girlfriends (guys like him and David were punished) Don't forget that alot of OTHER kings had harems, who didn't believe in God.........
fight for religious tolerance :colorful:
proud witch

Calyx
April 17th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Hey, this is good discussion, everyone! :)

Djiril, you made some really good points.....
a couple of thoughts back on those: On the rape and murder and warfare stuff....while disturbing, I guess that I have always thought of it as just history. My perspective is that many civilizations have done horrible things in the name of their god or gods, and that this is a history book where there's not a lot of other written history from this time. Well, there might be, but I don't know of much. If you do, I'd love to get a reading list from you! Remember, Hitler thought God was telling him to do what he did too. And, these people were supposedly inspired by and protected by God and so therefore when they did all of this, they are writing that it's what God wanted them to do. Does that make sense?

As far as the woman hater thing, I've never stopped to look at it from the female perspective. Thanks for giving me a fresh point of view! The point I was trying to make was that I don't know of any part of the OT where God actually told Solomon (or David for that matter) that having that many wives and harems, etc. was wrong. The woman hater was Agprippa (?) I think, who thought women were unclean and had no souls, who unfortunately was instrumental in helping shape Canonical (if that's a word) literature. Women in the NT who were active in churches had their names changed to men's. The Magala became a whore, and a bunch of stuff got inserted about women not being pure enough or whatever to have high positions within the church. Which unfortunately became part of Christian dogma.

Rainna, on the part about Solomon being punished for his wives and concubines, I thought it was because they began reverting back to pagan worship and Solomon let them, so God was displeased. I didn't think it had anything to do with the actual number. Am I wrong here? :huh:

Cataline
April 20th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Mmm....Once again, can't believe someone poured so much time and energy into this. So many angry people in the world.... "Got Issues?"

The violence of the OT has always bothered me, and I don't believe in hell, so I didn't pay too much attention to that part of the site b/c it's such "old news" to me. However, as for the bits on Jesus....weeelll I think there is a lot to be said for "context."

I'm in grad school. If I were to write a paper using this same technique, I would be bowing before the honor council, begging for mercy, two seconds after handing in that paper. You can't just pull out the words of a quote that happen to suit your purpose and ignore the rest. That does appear to be what's going on here, at least with the Jesus portions.

B/C of that, the author lost a lot of credibility with me. It would have been different if they would have given the entire quote/context, and then given their interpretation....

It makes me wonder how credible anything on the site can be.

Eowyn
April 20th, 2004, 10:27 AM
I dont like the bible but I do know a LOT of christians who are deeply into their religion and I respect them for their believes (exception made my father, i dont really know why and I know it's a bit mean but... hey, its just how I feel ;) ) and I do sometimes think of how I dont like the bible but... I dont honestly like this site but that's just me. It's a bit to negative for me but... ;)