PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Religion

ShadowCat13
April 13th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Hi everyone- i was just wondering- since im trying to start a family of my own, and I would like to teach them my religion-(wicca), are there any of you out there that have taught your kids your religion, and how did you go about it, what age did you start, etc. I was just wondering. :) I would really like to teach my personal beliefs to my children and have that passed on to their children. I aslo know that sometimes in schools kids will be picked on because they dont believe in the same things as other kids, how did you and your kids handle this?

Rowan MoonDragon
April 13th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone- i was just wondering- since im trying to start a family of my own, and I would like to teach them my religion-(wicca), are there any of you out there that have taught your kids your religion, and how did you go about it, what age did you start, etc. I was just wondering. :) I would really like to teach my personal beliefs to my children and have that passed on to their children. I aslo know that sometimes in schools kids will be picked on because they dont believe in the same things as other kids, how did you and your kids handle this?

well my kids are 11 and 7. I've been practicing for about 5 years but I didn't tell my girls until about a year ago...maybe not even that long. they went to a montessori christian school from the time they were 6 weeks old to just 2 years ago. I didn't know how to explain it so I waited until they were old enough to understand. I first told my oldest daughter. I started out by just stating I ws a witch then I went into detail about what my religion is, why I do it, and then I answered her questions. I told my youngest a couple of months after that. the same way. my oldest is very interested in my religion and is reading up on it. my youngest hasn't shown any interest yet but I think she will. as far as school goes I told them to just tell their closest friends if they had to tell anybody. we've actually been pretty lucky. their friends are interested in it also and one of them has an aunt who is Wiccan. but my kids also still have alot of the christian beliefs also so they dont stand out alot at all yet. I think its great you want your kids to know your beliefs and I think it will be easier telling them from the time their born. it wont be so strange to them. I believe that we all believe in the same god. we just also have a goddess who was forgotten about. I explained this to my girls and they understand. its still a learning process for them. I want them to be able to choose their path by getting as much information as possible. It was a hard decision for me to decide to tell them becasue of the way we get treated. but so far, its been wonderful. Like I said, I've been lucky. I wish you much luck.

Shanti
April 13th, 2004, 02:23 PM
My beliefs are also a life style. So my kids have been intune since birth. We dont celebrate xian holidays so thats kinda a big clue!
As they grow and ask questions, I answer based on my beliefs.
My kids are 4, 6, 23, 25, 27.
I also taught them to study up on all differant beliefs and cultures and follow their own path. My adult kids beliefs are, metaphysical, still searching, and doesnt believe in anything spiritual.

Oh yeah, the school thing...I home school.

ShadowCat13
April 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys! This one is definatley going to be a challenge, as my soon to be hubby is a christian, and will most definatley want them to believe in some of the things he does. I just hope i dont confuse the kids LOL because he celebrates xian holidays with his family and i too have to tag along for it since they live so far away.

Flutterby_whispers
April 23rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
I can relate in a sense to your sitaution, however my husband and I are both Pagan, I was actually the christian in the relationship as he has always been pagan. His mom raised him up within the Fellowship of Isis in Ireland ~ However as the years went on we tried christianity to walk away from it thinking "whew" glad that's over with lol And have since embraced Pagansim fully, including our children and being quite active in the Pagan community in Utah.

I think that has been the key to helping us raise our children in such a christian dominant state. I love the support and socialization that we all are able to recieve from having such a large and active pagan community, and who woulda thunk Utah would have one of those :lol:

Something we do struggle with is that my family are christian and they know were, for the most part respectful of this, it's one of those unspoken things and there are times where they will start conversations amongst each other in hopes that we hear, ya know the "our church is THE true church" yabber lol We kindly ignore ~ my mom will somtimes talk to them about Jesus and that's caused quite a few questions from my oldest, and I'm still trying to figure out how to answer that one lol

I do grow concerned about the entire public school thing, the school that they will be going to is a very nice school and so far my experience with the people there has been positive. But it does concern me how that will go, however I have comfort in the fact that almost everyone we know who's pagan also has children in the public school system and they all seem to be fine. So I can only hope my exp. will be the same.

For those who are raising their children w/ this spirituality, are there any good books you've bought for them, or movies? What kind of daily activities do you do?

Flutterby_whispers
April 23rd, 2004, 11:34 AM
I just did a search for pagan books for children and amazon has a great list!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/1ZDOITE7JCGIF/102-6507471-8898512

Antoninus
April 23rd, 2004, 11:44 AM
Theres already a thread for this somewhere here. Just practice your religion as you see fit and let your kids learn by example. They'll be curious and ask questions.

Flutterby_whispers
April 23rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
It's at the top of the page ~ but it's mostly links, which are great!! This thread is more about what we do daily and such, personally, when it comes to this. I think it's fun to share :)

ravensongof2
April 23rd, 2004, 12:00 PM
My children are 3 and 13. My 13 year old is currently searching for her path, so I have made available to her all my books. Everything from Wicca to the Christian Bible. She sees through my actions what I believe and this allows her to search for herself and ask questions. As for my 3 yr old, she was our bell ringer when we called the quarters at our last circle. She takes in what she understands, and the way I see it, the rest will come in time. The best advise I ever received was Don't try to choose their path, just expose them to as many as you can. They will choose what fits for them.

skye*
April 23rd, 2004, 12:36 PM
Stazia is only 13 moths old right now but she stil joins us in all holidays and i read fairie tails to her every day, Her fairy books are stories based on mab the queen and her family.
Their other friends in the forest and other creatures that live their, such a "boon" the baby fairies companion. Even though im pagan i still beleive in other creatures such as fairies and unicorns ect.I have a couple of pagan childrens books and read her those also. I def need to find some more, shes likes to rip the pages out. :lol: My house is also full of flowers, reefs,candles,my altar,pictures and paintings of gods.goddesses,high priestess,the empress and the emporer. Her room is also full of these things, plus fairies and unicorns everywhere in her room.Pic of Hera over her bed, the best pic i think have for her. Although she only plays in her room now and still sleeps with me.

Anyhoo, i will raise her and celebrate and teach her everything i know about my religion, and when she gets older ill encourage her to read about other beleifs and chose wich best suits herself and her own spiritual path. I love celebrating with her! I cant wait until the 30th, beltane i planned the whole day and night out. She dosent have enough hair to braid flowers in, but im going to make her a reef instead. It excites me to be able to share this with her, i only wish i was raised the same.
If when shes older she wants to go to church or christian activities thats fine with me i would never stop her from exploring, that to me would be wrong!!

Merry Blessings
:colorful: