PDA

View Full Version : Making a Besom

RubyRose
April 14th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Okay, so I've gotten the handle for my besom, but I'm wanting advice on what to make the broom part out of.
Blessings
RubyRose )0(

FaerieGothMommy
April 14th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Ooohh, can i ask, what have you used for the handle?
I'm also interested in ideas - I like my stuff natural, instead of bought from shops :)
So any natural ideas for making a besom is appreciated :)

RubyRose
April 14th, 2004, 07:54 AM
:lol:
Well I'm using a fallen tree branch. Not sure on the type of wood it is, cause the branch is sufficiantly dead (its actually white in colour) But I'm guessing (by the other trees in that area) that its from a Eucalyptus tree. The branch is actually quite brittle.

blugirrl1
April 14th, 2004, 08:47 AM
I found my handle while walking in the woods. as for the rest i used hemp twine to tie. and gathered up straw from an outside field. ( dry of course) what i did was lay long pieces pointing up torwards handle tie tightly with hemp. several layers of this. then folded them down to bottom side and tightly wove hemp around the whole bunch. sorry if that is not super clear but i am not always the best at explaining things.

Faeawyn
April 14th, 2004, 09:20 AM
I found this info here http://groups.msn.com/WitchsWonderland/howtomakeabesomii.msnw

Making a Besom or witch's broom is not difficult and there are many good ideas around to borrow from and improve on. In choosing the wood you want to use wood that has protective properties and most important what feels right to you. Good choice's for wood are Ash (protection, prosperity, health); Birch (protection, binding, purification) - the traditional broom of the Witches was made of Birch twigs; Dogwood (wishes, protection); Elder (binding, protection, healing) - though this is more often used for wands; Oak (protection, health, money, healing) and a tree sacred to the Druid's; Pine (healing, protection, binding, money); or Rowan (psychic powers, healing, power, success, protection).

The wood of my Besom is unknown, I found it on our new property and loved the shape and feel, it had been lying waiting for me to find it for years and looked akin to driftwood, which would also be a good wood to use. After leaving it natural for a long time I decided to sand it, if turned out with a dark, finely grained and satiny pattern. If you decide to finish your wood than strip it first and let it dry and then do and sanding necessary. After you find the wood that you want to use as the handle taking in account the size and length best suited to you, properly thanking the Goddess, cut very carefully, you don't want to kill the tree, only take what you need, and use a saw as your bolline will not work.

The next step is gathering the materials for the "broomstraws" the binding and any decorative touches. I suggest Straw as it can be easily obtained and attracts fairies. Wheat can also be used, but might shed more than you wish. The traditional binding for a magickal, or Witch's broom is a Willow branch, it is very flexible and easy to work with. Straw can be dyed using herbal dyes, for black use alder, black walnut or yarrow. For blues, elder, indigo, woad, oregon grape. For brown use comfrey, fennel, hops, onion, pokeweed. For Golds use dock, goldenrod, safflower. For greens use barberry, bayberry, sage. Binding the straw: I use a double binding method for this. Before cutting the straw the length you wish add about two inches. I have found that it is easier to work with the straw if it has been soaked and then just left damp. Gather the straw with the ends even and pointing towards the top fo the handle and distributed around the handle, bind the added two inches with strong twine, fold the straw down pointing in the right direction and bind with the Willow branch.

Personal touches. Now come the most fun making your Besom uniquely your own. If using pine you can add small pine cones strung with twine and attached to the binding, if using oak do the same with acorns. Slip lavender under the binding or heather, add dried flowers....this is your Besom to play with it. You can also decorate the handle any ways you wish, and if you can whittle or carve you can create a beautiful one of a kind Besom.

I have also heard of using herbs instead of straw :)

RubyRose
April 14th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks Faeawyn

blugirrl1
April 14th, 2004, 09:39 PM
wow Faeawyn now i wanna go out and make a new one. dying the straw sounds fun.:)

mucgwyrt
April 15th, 2004, 05:20 AM
I was always told it should have a shaft of ash (protection - presumably for when it is used in rites), twigs of birch (purification for sweeping), and be bound with willow (love - I wont say why :lol: )

RubyRose
April 15th, 2004, 05:35 AM
How long should the broom sticks be when making a besom. It's never very clear on the websites I read.

midnightreflections
April 15th, 2004, 06:49 AM
How long should the broom sticks be when making a besom. It's never very clear on the websites I read.

It depends on you - since your the one using it there is no point in having a 6ft besom if your short or a very short besom if your tall :hehehehe:

Anyway I have an article on my site
http://www.midnightreflections.com/misc/besom.htm saying about the same as Macha said above.....and I will add about the height to it, since I've missed it out a well :)

RubyRose
April 15th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks.

Well the handle is 14 inches or 35cm ... so just roughly how long should the broomsticks be? One third the size of the handle? One quarter? ...

RubyRose
April 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Also, if you don't have access to straw, what other substitutes can you use?

mucgwyrt
April 15th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Twigs from trees :)
As long as you like, though I think I favour it being 2 parts handle to one part twiggy bit.
Maybe shoulder height, including the twiggy bit?

CanisFirebrand
April 16th, 2004, 09:12 AM
I thought about making my own at one point.
But then I was in a store that was closing and had all kinds of neat items for the home.
I found a perfect besom. The handle is bundled cinnamon sticks or branches from a cinnamon tree?? And then the broom part looks like smaller twigs. I should take a picture of it.
It smells wonderful and is very striking to look at.

blugirrl1
April 17th, 2004, 03:18 PM
I thought about making my own at one point.
But then I was in a store that was closing and had all kinds of neat items for the home.
I found a perfect besom. The handle is bundled cinnamon sticks or branches from a cinnamon tree?? And then the broom part looks like smaller twigs. I should take a picture of it.
It smells wonderful and is very striking to look at.

sounds pretty. pics pics. <drool> need pics. lol