PDA

View Full Version : Hertiage and God/dess

Mariposa De La Luna
February 20th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Does heritage play a role in which God/dess we worship?

I was wondering about this recently. We (Americans) come from a very mixed background. But seeing as some of us know ours, does that influence your dicision of who to worship at times? Or do you think it doesn't matter? Do some of you envision your own personal God/desses that may not go by any "known" name?

OK here is where I'm coming from. My background is Mexican. So your thinking that may sound straight forward but from what I've found most Mexican God/desses were wiped out by the Aztecs and have no remaining info. On top of that you have the major state of Catholicism which has really only brought "Saints" from Europe with no local ones converted from local religions. I've always been drawn to the Greeks and Egyptians since I was younger and i know to go with what I feel is best but i'm new to this and was just curiouse how other people answer my question.

excuse my misspellings and run on sentences :)

Mairwen
February 20th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by SAHM

Hey, SAHM I am is back! :D

Does heritage play a role in which God/dess we worship?

If that's a route you want to take, sure. "Tribal memory"/genetics really do come into play, here.

For example, my HP recently stepped down from this position to give time to study Asatru. I was speaking to his mother over the weekend, and come to find out, one branch of their family is what is considered to be "Black Dutch" (ie, the Norse that integrated with the Dutch). So, he had very strong reasons for being "drawn" to the Asatru path.

As for myself, I have a bit of Welsh in my family tree, a bit of Dutch, a bit of mutt, and a bit of godknowswhat (heh)(here in KY, we call that Heinz 57). The Gwyddon Path, and the Welsh Pantheon, have spoken to me like nothing else ever has.

does that influence your dicision of who to worship at times?

I think it does on a subconscious, genetic level. (See above)

Shatav
February 20th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Interesting...I would have said that it really doesn't matter, unless that's what feel right for you. I mean, for me, I have an Egyptian deity, yet I have no African genetics or background. If anything, I have a strong German background, so it would seem that maybe a Norse God under those rules would be better for me. *shrug* I think you find who you're supposed to, or they find you, as was my case.

Mairwen
February 21st, 2001, 12:33 AM
Yup. I have a friend who's Isian ~ and she's mostly Cherokee and Dutch. I think she's a good case for the study of tribal memory. :D

BrightStar
February 21st, 2001, 04:08 AM
Hi all,
I've always heard the "Black" Dutch were descended from the Spanish Moors.These Moors were driven out of Spain by the Catholic Inquisition and also by the newly unified nation of Spain under Ferdinand and Isabella.The Moors were descendants of the Muslim tribes from Africa and the Middle East who occupied southern Europe after it was conquered during the jihad around 7-800 ACE.These people lived and thrived in Spain for 6-700 years and intermixed with the local population..They moved north into Holland as it was much more tolerant and were called "Black" because they were darker than the "regular" Dutch who were blonde,blue eyed etc.These Black Dutch excelled in Holland because of the knowledge they had in so many areas.At this time the Muslims were much more educated than the average Europeans who still lived in "The Dark Ages'.Most of these people later converted to protestantism,though they weren't especially committed to it.Many moved to the New World and became quite wealthy.I have a 80 year old friend from New Jersey who tells me as a child,people would say" so and so's rich,Black Dutch ya know."In some parts of the US people of African or Native American lineage who were lighter skinned would tell people they were "Black" Dutch so they wouldn't be discriminated against,up until fairly recent times.
Now,that being said,there may be a different branch of Black Dutch than the ones I know of.I have been wrong before.
Peace and Love
Rain BrightStar

Mariposa De La Luna
February 21st, 2001, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'm back. I had a little stint at the hospital and then a looong bit with the anestesia and the pain pills. Thanks for noticing.

The "Black Dutch" thing is so interesting. I never heard of them before. You know there was a time when you were only black or white. On my birth cert. my father and mother had "white" under race and that is very misleading.

Of course we (Mexicans) might not seem a mixed race but in our family our European blood showed as recently as my great aunt. My grandmother had a twin sister. They reportedly looked alike in every way but one was dark skinned/eyed and the other light. They also like to joke that there is Chineese blood in our family to account for our sometimes extreemly slanted eyes, but I think that is more our Native American side.

I loved reading your responses and insight. I hope more people do.

Lilu
February 21st, 2001, 01:23 PM
I've found the above discussion really interesting, particularly about the Black Dutch. There are a lot of Dutch people in Australia, my Mum grew up around them as a child and a lot of her friends (indeed her brother-in-law even) are Dutch, but I've never heard of the Black Dutch, very interesting!!!

My background is a mixture of Irish, Belgian and possibly French on my father's side, with British and possibly some Spanish on my mother's side. I am particular drawn to the Irish though. I think this has been the line that has come down through the decades because of the Catholicism in the family.

I found that even when I was Catholic I was drawn to St. Bridget, which I later discovered was a Christianised version of our Goddess Brigid. This never fails to amaze me that out of all the women saints I could have chosen as my "confirmation name" I chose Bridget. I never finished my confirmation though, so maybe "she" was telling me something? hehe

I am very drawn to the Irish Celtic pantheon, I tried studying the Welsh Avalonian Tradition (how I met Ari!!! :-)) but it just didn't work for me, I'm very much into the male gods too, and this one Avalonian path was dianic.

I find now that I am particular drawn not to just one culture, but specific gods and goddesses. This time last year I was actually dreaming a lot about the Norse god Freyr, and also Astarte who is found in a lot of different cultures, and seems to mutate into different goddesses.

The four I tend to have a real bond with are all different cultural gods. Brigid (Irish Celt), Ganesh (Indian), Kwan Yin (Chinese) and Jesus (Judaic) so it's interesting that only Brigid is a goddess which could be linked to my heritage. I have no problem with this, which is why I tell others that you should work with the gods and goddesses who either appeal to you, or 'call' to you as in almost 'summoning' through dreams etc.

I am also very interested in the Greek Pantheon, and to my knowledge this couldn't really be a playback to my heritage because I don't think we have Greek in our family (hard to tell really, it's POSSIBLE because my Paternal Grandfather LOOKS Greek, but we never knew who his father was, he was illegitimate). In fact, I have a few problems like that, little family "scandals" where it's impossible to trace the family back past a couple of generations on some sides - my maternal great-grandparents apparently eloped and changed their names, so we have no idea where they originated from.

It is interesting though. I also wonder how much past lives (if you believe in reincarnation that is) comes into play. I am a great believer in reincarnation, so I could see where you may be drawn to a particular cultural religion because of past associations with it in a past life... thoughts?

BB
Lilu

BrightStar
February 21st, 2001, 04:14 PM
Hi all
You know there was a time when you were only black or white.
This is true.The USA used the one drop rule.One drop of African blood meant you were Black.Many people who were of African or Native heritage would try to erase their roots and "pass" for white.So claiming Black Dutch heritage was a way to do that.This became especially prevalent during the 1890s when people from the Dawes Commission went around the country trying to register all people of Native American heritage,supposedly so individual land allottments could be given out.Many people believed it was an effort to finish the genocide of all Native Americans.So people who mistrusted the motives of the Dawes people would say,"I'm not Indian,we're Black Dutch,we're white."These lists are the basis for the "rolls"by which people in the US can claim their Native ancestry.Another popular dodge was to claim being Black Irish.It makes it a bit difficult to trace one's ancestry.
Peace and Love
Rain BrightStar

BrightStar
February 21st, 2001, 05:57 PM
Hi all,
I thought I'd get off my little tangent(sorry everyone)and back to the main subject.
As far as one's heritage and their Deities,I'm unsure.I think it's quite possible we could be drawn to Deities from our past lives.I don't think you have to be of a certain ethnic heritage to worship any particular one.I've heard that we should try to discover the ancient spirits of the land in which we live and leave all the European Deities over in Europe.I do agree about finding the Deities where you live,don't agree about leaving all the Euro Deities in Europe.I'm drawn to many Italian deities yet have no Italian heritage,well maybe a touch of Sicilian,which is a very mixed race of its' own.
My heritage is Cheyenne,a bit of obligatory Okie Cherokee,Welsh,Irish,Scottish,English, and Black Dutch.My cousins and I aren't sure about the Black Dutch,we think the ancestors were part Native American on that side and lied to escape discrimination.We always thought it was funny that to avoid discrimination as Indians they may have inadvertently admitted to being African.They were dark skinned with really black hair and little body hair,from way back in the Tennessee Smoky Mountains.
Peace and Love
Rain BrightStar

Mariposa De La Luna
February 22nd, 2001, 11:30 AM
I can see how past lives can play into what dieties "call" to you. I believe in them and know I've had at least 3 and at least one of those in Europe.

I've never considered getting in touch with the God/desses of the land, even though there is a ton of Native American in me. I just don't know what tribes, if it matters. I think alot of Pagan/Wiccan books ignore that whole subject. I can see the importance now that you've brought it up. You've made a lightbulb go off. Now off to the library.You can never get enough research.(ok thats not true) :)

Mairwen
February 22nd, 2001, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by SAHM
I've never considered getting in touch with the God/desses of the land,

I was supposed to have taught a class Tuesday night on "Working with the Energy Where You Live"; it didn't happen. But the topic would have been interesting to handle.

I was on a message board (Triple Moon, I think) some time last year, and there was a topic that fried my brain, but really got me to thinking about my Gwyddon roots, my heritage, the land where we live, and the land where the tradition began. This person was wondering how we could worship the Tuatha de Danaan if they're Irish deities who are now part of the land, there. I was completely stunned ~ um, hello? They're energy beings, and, like, energy is universal. Like pulling up Earth energy, or elemental energy ~ the TdD are "everything and everywhere". But, God/dess/Deity is universal energy, right?

Still, there tripped my brain back to something on of my teachers had said long ago ~ even though we're inherently Welsh and always will be, the land here in the US is the land we live and worship on now, this is the land and the energy which speaks to us now, and this is the energy we should be responding to/working with.

"Working with the Energy Where You Live" ~ Now, I don't live in a small community, nor is it huge; Lexington has 330K people. But I do know from experience, each "quadrant" of town has a different "look" and "feel" energywise ~ it's just the land itself, and what's been subsequently done to it over time. It's interesting to note that my neighborhood is known as Pagan Central ~ I can count at least 50 Pagans in my immediate area; who knows how many others? (my neighborhood is largely residential; single family homes, duplexes, apartment communities and townhomes).

One of my dearest friends lives exactly West of me (approx 7 miles), and the energy where she lives is markedly different than where I live. There are places in this town that are so peaceful and comforting ~ and others that literally give me headaches. :(

even though there is a ton of Native American in me. I just don't know what tribes, if it matters.

Probably not; then again, it might. The NA's were a lot closer to the Earth than we are ~ I am spiritual sisters with a Cherokee Chief, and through her have learned a very lot; the Cherokee are closer to the Earth than most of us could ever hope to be, and a lot more respectful of the land and of each other.

As for the tribal system, like I said, I don't think that really matters. Look at the God Names in the Welsh Pantheon, for example. Most of those names are "tribal" names, or "titles" ~ ie, different tribes had different names for the same Goddess (Morrígan, Morrígu, Morrígna, for example), and, of course, Rhiannon is a "title" for a specific deity (not her "true" name, see). Rhiannon means "Great Queen", and I know a famtrad who sees this as an "outer court" name for Epona.

I think alot of Pagan/Wiccan books ignore that whole subject.

The Native American thing? Most likely out of respect, for one; lack of readily available information, for another. I saw my Chief-sister over the weekend, and she was having a fit over the planned "sweatlodge" at the Pagan Spirit Gathering this Summer. She threw me the brochure and said, "I hope they really enjoy themselves". :p

I can see the importance now that you've brought it up. You've made a lightbulb go off. Now off to the library. You can never get enough research. (ok thats not true) :)

You're quite welcome. As you can see, it's helping me think a bit, too. Think I'll paste this post into my notebook. ;) I know what you mean about research. It is quite possible to research something to death ~ been there! It's horribly exhausting!

Mariposa De La Luna
February 22nd, 2001, 04:06 PM
I didn't mean the NA stuff. I just mean to get intouch with the local Pagan beliefs whether you're in TX, CA, NY, Canada, Great Britain, etc. I guess books do indirectly mention it because it fits in the general sort of research thing.

They're energy beings, and, like, energy is universal.

I get that but when the Earth wasn't so overly developed, that energy manifested in a way to the people who lived here and were very close to it. That energy was recognized and worshipped in a certain way for a long time by many people and have added to it and maybe gave it a stronger anchor in this area.

I don't know I'm just rambling.

OK to take something from Christendom. why did people put up shrines to saints/Virgin Mary in specific places? Alot of times it was because that is where they saw a holy vision or something. For that matter Pagans did that as well. They would dedicate a nearby life sustaining spring to a God/dess. Maybe the founder of it was lead there by them. Then the people would pay homage to Her/Him everytime they went there or at certain times of the year. This place then gets a unearthly quality to it, a feeling of power, if it survived. That is a very specific location, ok but it mmay hold true for a larger location to a degree and it is harder to detect now with all the city noise.

OK how about NAs. They would pray/worship/ask their God/dess to say make their fields more fertile and send that energy to their field over many years. Do you think that blessed field is more in tune with that Being? I would think it may be but I haven't journeyed far and wide or have the knowledge to judge.

I can however tell you a tale of a time before I was Pagan and probably in Xtian limbo.
I was in a major city in a loud crowded place with my best friend who would later turn out to be my husband. We were just walking along and there was this spot near the river and this tree growing there and a tremendous energy that I can't quite clearly recall. It was pleasant and I didn't want to leave but we had to. Of course I didn't think about Gods & Goddesses, or maybe a past life associated with it, because I hadn't found those things again yet but now it makes me wonder. ok I'm spent and my head hurts.I haven't written this much in a loooooong time.

PaganBoyNC
March 14th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Heritage can play a role in the gods and goddesses we worship, but it doesn't necessarily have to. We might feel close to the gods and goddesses of the pantheon/s we are most genetically linked to, but then again we might not. I think what's ultimately important is that we worship the gods and goddesses that call to us, whether we are related to their culture genetically or not.

I do, however, think that it is important to work with the gods that we choose (or that choose us) in culturally appropriate ways. It is important for us to read the myths associated with those gods and learn how those gods were worshipped historically, what kinds of offerings were made and what kinds of festivals were celebrated in their honor. We might have to modernize a bit, but we should at least keep the spirit of the tradition alive. In this way we can have the strongest possible link to them.

You certainly would not invite a Muslim friend to a pork barbeque (Muslims do not eat pork), nor attract the attention of a Vietnamese friend by calling them with your finger (this is considered rude in Vietnamese culture). So culture is part of it. Another part of it is that the energy built up from worshipping these gods is part of what helps us connect to them and the closer our modern worship resembles (at least in spirit) the ancient worship the better a connection we can form.

Hestia
April 12th, 2001, 04:19 PM
I know this is an older thread but I thought it was very interesting, particularly because I'm Asian and have often felt out of place in a largely 'European' based path. But I have always been drawn to Celtic and British folk lore (probably from all the fairytales I loved from childhood). It wasn't until I discovered paganism that I realized the fond memories I have of celebrating traditional Filipino holidays at my grandmother's knee are what spurred me to pursue a path that captured that warm feeling of being connected to the seasons. Now I'm comfortable knowing that my spirituality doesn't have to follow any set rules. I just pick and choose from here and there and go with what feels 'natural' to me. I still get odd looks sometimes when I go to a bookstore and purchase a book on wicca intead of taoism or buddhism (which of course are foreign to the Filipino culture which is almost all catholic anyway). It's taken me over 10 years to finally feel like I know what I'm doing....and that changes everyday of course! :)

Tigerwallah
April 17th, 2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Shatav
Interesting...I would have said that it really doesn't matter, unless that's what feel right for you. I mean, for me, I have an Egyptian deity, yet I have no African genetics or background. If anything, I have a strong German background, so it would seem that maybe a Norse God under those rules would be better for me. *shrug* I think you find who you're supposed to, or they find you, as was my case.

I too have a German background, but have an Egyptian Deity. I know many Germanics who have these associations. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Atlantian connection in this.

Vinga
April 27th, 2001, 01:44 AM
Wow what an interesting thread. I had no idea about the Black Dutch either, I guess we learn something new every day :).
I'm Swedish myself, and have only lived in Canada for about 3 years. My maternal grandfather was Czech, but I don't know a whole lot about his side of the family as he died before I was born. I'm a quite new pagan, but because of my heritage it felt natural to choose a Norse inspired path. I have always been fascinated with my country's history and mythology.
I have yet to chose a patron God/Goddess but I think they might have already chosen me. Tyr has popped up here and there in my life for the past 10 years and it is getting difficult to deny his precence. Freya came into my life about a year ago, after my husband and I had suffered a long period of infertility. We decided to adopt another cat, and before we had even gone to the humane society to look, I had the name Freya etched in my mind, the Goddess of fertility. Somehow, by naming my new kitten after Her I felt like I was able to release my obsession with my own infertility. And today I'm quite content being a kitty mommy and have even put all baby plans on the shelf for a few years.

But back to the original topic ;), I don't think one has to turn to ones biological background to chose deity. I think for sure that ones past lives can come into play when we feel drawn to a certain God or Goddress that seemingly have no ties to our heritage.

DarkWitch
May 25th, 2001, 02:20 PM
my heritage is native american, irish and german

bluecat
May 25th, 2001, 02:38 PM
This is a pleasant and timely revival of a very good old thread. I am of Welsh/Irish/Native American descent. I was once asked if I felt myself to be very "Indian", meaning NA, my response was that I was about as NA as a Pepsi Can.

My birth certificate says that I was born in Portales, New Mexico, so I guess that makes me a New Mexican, although, I am mostly a white guy. My parents are both from Oklahome and of course I was raised in the fashion that they were raised.

I don't really believe that your ethnic backbround makes any difference, it has more to do with who you believe in this life and how you see things in this life through your OWN eyes and not the eyes of another. Who knows, in one of my past lives I could have been a priest or some similar person..

Blue

Earth Walker
May 25th, 2001, 03:18 PM
On my Mothers side, I am English, Scottish, Irish, and French;
and on my Fathers side, I am Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch,
German, Russian, and Polish.
In my case, I do not think that I have to follow only one
tradition, but I study all Pagan Traditions.
It is like learning Jeet Kun Do....you use what works for you. :D

loopy
May 26th, 2001, 04:08 AM
I'm Italian, possibly German, I think...

It didn't even come to mind when I was trying to choose deities. I was attracted to certain ones because their beautiful names drew me in, or because of their legends, but ultimately I decided to negate choosing at all. Partly because I kept grabbing Gods and Goddesses and trying to make a pantheon with one God from each tradition. I call on Bast to protect my cats and Artemis for the moon...most of the time, I use the general term "Goddess" because I can never remember so many names and what they all stand for.

Elistariel
July 17th, 2002, 10:56 PM
I'm still in the major newbie phase. I made a decision to "go along" with the dieties of my ancestry. I had to wait for my mom to write me back telling me what I was :p I'm in the process of finding the gods and goddesses for them.
I'm:
Dutch
English
Irish
Italian (that would explain my love for mythology)
Scottish (knew that from my last name)
Indian (don't know what kind yet)

Cait
July 19th, 2002, 06:11 PM
I'm drawn mostly to the Celtic and Roman deities. My heritage is pretty much all Celtic (Irish and Scottish) - I'm not quite sure where I got the Roman pantheon from, heh - so I guess I have some vague insight into both sides of this.

I felt drawn to the Celtic deities not so much because of my ancestry, but at least partly because... well, I'm British, and I liked the idea that these gods were... they're from *here*. They come from this place, with this particular climate and these plants and these forests, and their worshippers lived right here and saw the same landscapes I can still see now. While I don't think that's the only way to go - by any means - I do think that it helped to strengthen my connection with them.

The whole Roman pantheon thing, though... I have no idea where I got that from. :) I've never even been to Rome, and as far as I know, I don't have any Italian in me at all. It just sort of seemed to hit me over the head. It's very specifically the *Roman* deities, too, not the Greek ones.

yemayasdaughter
July 20th, 2002, 08:32 PM
What a fitting post for me to reply to. This thread is pretty old, and I havent been around for a while.

I dont think that my heritage played an important part in my Matron Goddess, simply because it was she who sought me out. I mean the fact that Yemaya is an African deity... and I am African-American.. is just an added bonus, because I can find my beauty in her.

I think that its a cool way to honor your ancestors by picking a deity that has ties to your heritage, but I dont think that its a necessity. Whomever draws you out, whomever connects with you.

MammaStar
July 20th, 2002, 10:26 PM
I've been studying the Celtic pantheon since I decided to start my journey of discovery 3 years ago. I guess, because i'm part Irish & English and I think that was what jumped out at me right away. I've always thought of Rhiannon as being my matron, since it is she I call upon often.

But I'm also Italian and the Strega path does intrigue me, but I don't feel like I'm ready to explore that path yet.

Lately though, I've been feeling quite drawn to the Norse path. And I don't know why since I am only Irish, English and Italian (supposedly some Native American, but I have yet to confirm it).

Eeluna
July 22nd, 2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Cait

The whole Roman pantheon thing, though... I have no idea where I got that from. :) I've never even been to Rome, and as far as I know, I don't have any Italian in me at all. It just sort of seemed to hit me over the head. It's very specifically the *Roman* deities, too, not the Greek ones.

During their great empire, the Romans occupied Britian for a long time--perhaps that's where the connection you feel comes from.

phoenixsong
July 22nd, 2002, 03:43 PM
I'm of Celtic descent and living in Ireland; both my mother's and my father's families are Irish a long way back - though I may have some Spanish blood inherited from my mother, going by our looks. I don't actually know of any Spanish deities - are there any? But I'm most drawn to the Norse pantheon - which was probably worshipped here, after the Vikings invaded. I think they built my favourite city, Galway - not 100% sure of that, but if they did, then many thanks to them. :D

Cait
July 22nd, 2002, 06:27 PM
During their great empire, the Romans occupied Britian for a long time--perhaps that's where the connection you feel comes from.

You know, that honestly hadn't occurred to me? I *knew* that the Romans were over here for ages, but somehow never quite made that connection. I'm not sure why not, because now it seems blindingly obvious... I don't actually know much about that period of history, unfortunately, although I seem to remember that there were apparently temples built in Britain to Minerva (Sulis-Minerva, I think?) and some other Roman gods. Must go find out more, now... thankyou, Eeluna!

Asherah
July 23rd, 2002, 11:40 AM
that is incredibly dear to me.

I am a Jewitch :). I am not wiccan, rather I am following the canaanite, early hebrew pantheon.

I have done and am in the middle of doing tons of research on the rituals and worship of the ancient hebrews.

Asherah is my Lady, but I also recognize Anath and Astarte.

El is my Lord, but I also recognize Baal Hadd, and Mot.

I am so excited to have found them. They resonate so deeply in my soul.

I tried to follow the celtic path and be wiccan, but it didn't resonate with me. Brighid is a wonderful goddess, just not mine.

I look forward to "meeting and talking" with you all.

Skye
August 24th, 2002, 11:02 AM
I know this is an old thread, but it has been so interesting, I thought it needed reviving:D

Personally, I do not worship any particular god/goddess, I have worked with many spirits, some gods/godesses, other relitives.
In my experiences, heredity has always been a part of my past present and future lives.

Mnemosyne
September 21st, 2002, 05:59 PM
Good point, Skye! :thumbsup: I never thought about different lives playing a part in deity choice. So many people respect a pantheon that is connected to their heritage. However, this is not the case with me. My heritage has nothing to do with the Greece, but I feel a bond with the Greek pantheon nevertheless.

Flar's Freyja
January 1st, 2003, 12:46 PM
I picked up a new book by chance the other night. It was in the Women's Studies section although it's categorized under "Spirituality." It's called A Goddess Is A Girl's Best Friend by Laurie Sue Brockaway.

The book blew me away, because it lists not only Brighid and the Virgin Mary, but also Mary Magdalene and St. Terese as goddesses. When I was a little girl, I was fascinated with two movies that were frequently on tv. I can't remember the names of either of them, but one was about St. Bernadette in Lourdes seeing the Virgin Mary at the Grotto, and the other was about her appearing to a little girl named Teresa, who was later sainted by the Catholic Church. I attended Catholic school, and each year on All Saint's Day, we had a parade where we dressed like the saints. My mother made me costumes in St. Teresa's colors that were similar to nun's garb. According to the author, St. Terese can assist with making everyday tasks a ritual; very interesting because I'm currently studying Franceca DeGrandis' Be a Goddess and really like the lesson dealing with exactly that.

I wonder if the author's background is Catholic. Next time I go into Barnes and Noble, I plan to suggest that they place the book in both the magickal/new age sections and its current section.

Mnemosyne
January 3rd, 2003, 03:26 PM
Brockaway's book sounds fabulous, Freyja. :thumbsup: I'll have to check it out when I have more free reading time. At the moment, I am reading The Moon Under Her Feet by Clysta Kinstler. The book is a narrative about Mary Magdalene. In the book, Mary Madgalene is a high priestess for the Goddess. I just started the book yesterday, so I will tell you how it is at a later date.

I've always been drawn to St. Teresa. Have you ever seen Bernini's statue of St. Teresa in Ecstasy? The piece is so powerful. Take a look.
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/B/bernini/teresa.jpg.html

Flar's Freyja
January 3rd, 2003, 04:32 PM
No, I hadn't, and it is a powerful image! Thanks for showing it to me. Please do keep me updated on the book you're reading, it sounds like something I'd really be interested in.

And if anyone knows the names of either of those movies - I really would like to see if I can rent them or at least know what titles I'm looking for if they still run them on tv so that I can spot them in listings.

Mnemosyne
January 6th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Hi Freyja! Did you ever find out if Brockway has Catholic background? Or did you ever find out the name of the films that you are looking for? There is an older film about Mary appearing to Bernadette called "The Song of Bernadette." Maybe that is the film that you are thinking about. I can't think of the film about Teresa and Mary though. Perhaps someone else has an idea for you.

Danustouch
January 8th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Mnemosyne, I read that book! (The Moon Under Her Feet), and have it in my bookcase. I loved it!

As for Gods/Goddesses and Heritage, I think it Does happen quite frequently, but isn't always necessary. After all, if you believe in past lives, past lives might come into play, as well. For me, I didn't go LOOKING for a Goddess who fit into my heritage. But..she found me anyway ;) Actually, when I first began studying Wicca, and Magick, the first two Goddesses who I called upon, were Freyja, and Bloedwedd (two separate rituals), And though those rituals *worked*, there just didn't seem to be the connection that I was seeking. They *worked* but I didn't feel a calling to the Goddesses who I had called.

I'm not even sure where or when I started calling to Danu. I think that I was reading about The Tuatha De Danaan one day, because someone had said that she thought I was "Fey" (which, by the way...i never claim to be.... she just thought so because of my height:rolleyes: ) . She pointed me to a website that listed differen't "Fey" qualities, (ways you supposedly could know if you were fey), and it mentioned the Tuatha de Danaan, as the Children of Danu. My eyes seemed to focus right on the name of the Goddess. And I began reading about her. It wasn't because she was the mother of the Tuatha de Danaan, Just..something about the name hit a note in me. So I began reading about her. Unfortunately, there really is not much known about her, and written about her. No specific myth type stories, except "the mother of/consort of/ guardian over/ called upon for" type thing. But the qualities that these books/webpages ascribed to her, were things which seemed to be the archetypes that I was looking for. Over the years, I "heard her" in the silence of my heart during ritual, many times. Heard her voice in my heart, wrote down her words, felt her touch. Etc. But.. there was a hunger in me to know MORE..which was extremely frustrating, because there are so few sources, in fact, many debate whether or not she was a Goddess at all! This was starting to interfere in my rituals, because I felt like I was being held back ...that something was being hidden from me. That her true face was being hidden from me. Somehow. I think I needed some validation that I had been called by the right Goddess, or that she had indeed called me.

I mentioned this at mothersmagic, and asked if anyone had had similar experiences with "little known" Goddesses, or Goddesses whom little was written about. Someone posted a link to a site, and what I found there, was the thing which "cinched" it for me. That validated my calling to her. It said the stuff I'd always known..."Mother Goddess of Ireland, Mother of the Tuatha de Danaan, " etc. But..then when it started to speak about the Tuatha de Danaan..what was said, stopped me in my tracks. It said that three things were held sacred to the Children of Danu. The Hazel Tree, the Sun, and the Plow. Now..my family is From Ireland, mainly. I have more Irish heritage in me than any other culture. But...beyond that..guess what my last name means? Hislop..is a derivitive of Heaslip, and other variants. And it means..."Dweller in a Hazle Valley". Beyond that...my family in Ireland, were all farmers. And when my Great Grandfather emigrated to the US, he started a farm here. My Dad was Raised on a farm...plowing the fields. Our family crest depicts a Stag, on a hill, under a Hazle Tree, with a Full Moon over head.

To me, that was the perfect validation. Who knows..maybe I am descended from the Tuatha de. It's not really important to me. What is important, is that she seemed to call me back, because of some sort of tie to her, and to Ireland...genetically.

Incidentally, while researching my family tree, I located an interview that one of my ancestors had done with a reporter, about Faery sightings in Ireland ;) Kinda cool :)