PDA

View Full Version : Kallisti.... Eris...

Kaylara
August 1st, 2001, 10:31 PM
Any thoughts on Eris?

Kaylara

Mairwen
August 2nd, 2001, 12:06 AM
Holy Chao!!:crazy:

Silver Venus
August 2nd, 2001, 06:40 AM
I think Ive heard of her before.. Maybe Greek or Roman and a goddess of fear..

Silver Venus
August 2nd, 2001, 06:41 AM
http://hsa.brown.edu/~maicar/Eris.html on her ~ Hope this helps :sunny:

story
August 4th, 2001, 04:42 PM
man oh man, i could rattle on about her forever. but I'll spare everyone. I'll just say this:
I've always seen chaos (or formlessness) as the starting point for anything creative. Becuase of that, playing with Eris has always been profoundly inspirational for me. After all, one properly flung apple gave us the Illiad, the Odyssey and the Aeniad......

aquinnah
August 5th, 2001, 09:51 AM
I know in Margo Adler's Drawing Down the Moon , she delves into the Discordians and Erisians who follow her path. I think they're still around, too.
If you have the book, it's in the chapter "Religions of Paradox and Play" and it's pretty interesting. If you don't have the book, I can quote some of the chapter for you if you like. By the way, while driving to work a few weeks ago I saw a woman walking down the road with a camera toward a particularly beautiful part of the island I live on. She looked really familiar, and she was walking the same route the next couple of days. It dawned on me who she was and on Friday of that week I stopped and introduced myself. It was Margo Adler - and after The Mists of Avalon and The Findhorn Garden her book was the first I read and it changed my life - it showed me that there were others out there - lots of others - who believed the same way I did. This of course, was before the dawn of the Temple of the Internet... but I digress.

And as we Discordians like to say, 'Don't make plans.' Oz, craft priestess, Drawing Down the Moon , p. 337.

Myst
August 5th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Oh, Discord!

story
August 6th, 2001, 09:46 AM
I loved the book drawing down the moon. I thought it was very thoughtfully done. Thats one of those books that stay off the shelf, with in reach.
btw, is she still on npr? I haven't had a car radio for a few years.
also, I thought I should include the obligatory link to an online copy of the discordia. check it out if you haven't already. If you know of any with better graphics, please let me know.
peace

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/tilt/principia/

aquinnah
August 6th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Yes she is - I think she's based on the New York station, but I hear her reports from time to time on my Boston NPR affiliate. Thanks for the link - I'll check it out. I'm quite comfortable with a certain level of chaos in my life. I enjoy watching others learn to deal with it too. We (Americans, Western Europeans, other well-off industrialized societies) are so comfortable surrounded by our stuff and our routines yet we don't realize how fragile our lives and surroundings are. A little discord can make one grateful for the little things one often takes for granted, and can help one achieve a greater state of openmindedness, I think. Plus it breaks up the monotony...

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right". Robert Hunter "Scarlet Begonias"

Mairwen
August 6th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Okay. This thread is about Eris, etc ~ not about Margot Adler. Let's get back on topic. I don't want to post a Moderator Note unless I have to. Thanks!

aquinnah
August 6th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Sorry - I thought the main gist of my last post was about chaos - I thought it was relevant. I also enjoyed the Erisians/Discordians site immensely - thanks for the link.

Kaylara
August 6th, 2001, 08:55 PM
Here's the discoridan coloring book...

http://www.dreamspell.net/LKS/eris-frame.html

Here's the principa discordia

http://anxiety-closet.mit.edu:8001/people/dryfoo/Spritz-yule/eris.html

And here are the Discordian/Erisian online Resources
http://www.suberic.net/~dmm/whatelse.html

Kaylara

Hail Eris!

Dria El
September 20th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Boy, she's kinda 'key' right now eh?

Almost a fortuitous (sp?) thread eh?

aquinnah
September 20th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Yeah - hey, maybe we're psychic...I watch our "leaders" in Washington try to say the right things, try to look all puffed up and determined, but I think even they know there's something at work here that is bigger than them. I don't mean the hatred in the hearts of the terrorists, either. What would happen if our government didn't respond with violence? What if we decided to change the policies that affect people around the globe and spent more time trying to make sure everyone had enough to eat, shelter, medicine, and basic education? What would Eris do with that?

Dria El
September 20th, 2001, 11:20 AM
We'd probably end up with record droughts across the globe <shrugs> just to show who's boss. Or all the bolts on all the ships would just 'pop off'. lol She's kinda funny like that.

Illuminatus
September 20th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Finally, a goddess whose philosophical viewpoint is validated by the basic laws of Thermodynamics. What irony that scientific principles can be accurately embodied by this fruit-hurling, fight-starting degenerate of a diety! The principia makes a hell of a lot more sense than any other religious text I've perused.

Unfortunately Eris doesn't have a whole lot of worshippers, and we don't really fit in all that well in Wiccan circles. And how do you worship chaos, except by wrecking your own apartment?

- Illuminatus!

aquinnah
September 20th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Falwell and Robertson would probably be able to pinpoint the bolt failure on us, too, like the highjackings. This whole thing seems so chaotic, more so than a real "war" because there's no clearly defined enemy; there's no one country to point at and attack; terrorists may still be living within U.S. borders waiting for the next strike; Bush knows he'll piss off Americans, Muslims, and people the world over if he kills Afghani women and children, but he has to do something to pacify the hawks of this country. Very chaotic. How perfectly Erisian. Is there anything we can do to appease her???

Dria El
September 20th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Wreck your house?

:)

Mairwen
September 20th, 2001, 06:38 PM
~ MODERATOR MODE ~

Originally posted by aquinnah
Falwell and Robertson would probably be able to pinpoint the bolt failure on us, too, like the highjackings. This whole thing seems so chaotic, more so than a real "war" because there's no clearly defined enemy; there's no one country to point at and attack; terrorists may still be living within U.S. borders waiting for the next strike; Bush knows he'll piss off Americans, Muslims, and people the world over if he kills Afghani women and children, but he has to do something to pacify the hawks of this country. Very chaotic. How perfectly Erisian. Is there anything we can do to appease her???

Look, I'm not asking again. I'm telling. ALL OF THIS KIND OF TALK WILL KINDLY LEAVE MY FORUMS RIGHT NOW! AND THAT'S FINAL! Thank you.

Illuminatus
September 21st, 2001, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Mairwen
~ MODERATOR MODE ~

Look, I'm not asking again. I'm telling. ALL OF THIS KIND OF TALK WILL KINDLY LEAVE MY FORUMS RIGHT NOW! AND THAT'S FINAL! Thank you.

Yes let's establish a policy of containment for the fallwell and robertson talk.... keep it in the Political Pagan or Just Talk maybe, we are supposed to be chatting about gods!

But it is a good point, how Discordian current events are... I mean, one apple started the 10 year trojan war.... But Chaos is always there, breaking things apart... it's just that sometimes it happens a lot at once, and only then does it get our attention.

Illuminatus
September 28th, 2001, 04:41 PM
How do you worship the Discordian goddess? Short of trashing your apartment, that is. Which is on my list.

Myst
September 28th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Well why are you worshipping her?

Dria El
September 29th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Illuminatus
How do you worship the Discordian goddess? Short of trashing your apartment, that is. Which is on my list.

I would think you've been doing that all along. hehe Just look at all the discord you start around here! ;)

:D

Illuminatus
October 1st, 2001, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Willow Raven
Well why are you worshipping her?

Why not???

Myst
October 2nd, 2001, 04:23 AM

Why not???

Well for one thing I couldn't see you of all people worshipping any deity.

For another nowhere does it say you ever have to work with deities.

And yet another, for such a scientifically minded person I would imagine you with a more scientific idea of divinity (ie. energy, balance, particles, what have you).

For instance I think of divinity as energy, not deities.

So why do you worship her?

Illuminatus
October 4th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Willow Raven
Well for one thing I couldn't see you of all people worshipping any deity.

For another nowhere does it say you ever have to work with deities.

And yet another, for such a scientifically minded person I would imagine you with a more scientific idea of divinity (ie. energy, balance, particles, what have you).

For instance I think of divinity as energy, not deities.

So why do you worship her?

That's a good question!

But the two hallmarks of the Pagan community are
1) doing magick
2) worshipping dieties
and #1 is right out for me, so what's left?

I just want to make discordianism a bigger part of my life, mostly.. I guess I'm asking the wrong party.

- Ill

loopy
October 4th, 2001, 03:24 PM

That's a good question!

But the two hallmarks of the Pagan community are
1) doing magick
2) worshipping dieties
and #1 is right out for me, so what's left?

You don't hafta give in to peer pressure, you know. That's why the saying "Just Say No" was invented.

If you don't want to worship a deity, then don't. Don't waste your time when you could be doing something that truly means something to you.

SylverStar
September 1st, 2003, 05:25 AM
Bumpity Bump

Why Not?

This thread is a perfect example of it's topic. :):(

CalliopeHellice
September 1st, 2003, 11:38 AM
http://discordian.com/discordian.html
http://www.service.ohio-state.edu/students/pagansa/eristea.html
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Pantheon/5294/dd.html

Erincelt
September 22nd, 2003, 09:11 PM
Ah yes. The one thing to be careful about is the classic Erisian identity crisis.

There is Eris, a Greek goddess of chaos etc.. then there is Discordia, a Roman goddess of thieves, etc...

Then there is Eris Discordia, also simply known as GODDESS. She is the Goddess of Reality and True Discord, the sister of Aneris, Goddess of Artificiality, and of the Unnamed God of Spirituality. They have a father too, but nobody pays him much mind. He gets to be a bit of a jerk, you see.

And I'm somewhat ashamed that I didn't see a couple of duh links here.. of course I might have just missed them. In which case I'm ashamed you had them hidden like that. There are much better ways of hiding them! Anyhow...

http://www.poee.org/ Official home of the Paratheo-anametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/ Uhm.. exactly what the name suggests.

Hail Eris! Hail Discordia! Slam the Onions!
-- Pope Xopher, uber-patriarch of the Wholly Cabal of Pentachao (Patent Pending)