PDA

View Full Version : Study Group thread

Gala
May 16th, 2004, 11:11 AM
This is where the study group ( which by the way can include anyone in the class) to post their questions.

The premise of the study group is that each of us chooses a subject. This first one is Goddesses, since that is the second lesson. I am taking Iduhn, Njord and Nerthus. White Eagle is taking Frigg and Freya. We post 4 questions the we write about our chosen subject.

The rest of you look up our questions, and we look up yours. That way I learn from doing the research to write my questions, and you learn from answering my questions and doing the research for your questions.

I think that by having something specific to "look up" that we are more able to soak it in.

Hopefully that makes sense to you. If you don't want to do it, that's ok too. Or if you think its not worthwhile that's ok too.
Its here if you want to make use of it.
Of course if there aren't any goddesses left then go on to gods, and so forth and so on...

Any Questions???

mothwench
May 18th, 2004, 03:43 PM
okay, while you and white eagle think up your questions, i'll try and type up a glossary of terms, which i think could be quite useful, especially regarding the fact we're dealing with so many variations of names and things, i.e. etins, jotuns, and that.

Gala
May 18th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Excellent Idea... :nicetie:

mothwench
May 19th, 2004, 03:25 PM
.... and i bet i missed loads, though there's also stuff in there we haven't covered yet. also, i haven't got it sorted right, but i'll edit that tomorrow or sometime. right now i just want to get it posted. i'll be adding to it as the course progresses, anyway.
so here it is, the official heathenry class glossary of terms:

Aesir pl. ................ one of the two races of gods (singular Ase, sometimes Ases in plural)
Asyniur:.................... a collective term for the goddesses
Angrboda...............mother of Hel, Fenris, and the Midgard Serpent, a giantess
Alf (pl. alfr) ................. -> light alf, dark alf, mound alf
Arvak.........................one of Sunna's horses
Alsvinn......................one of Sunna's horses
Alfablot:...................... celebration in honour of the mound alfs (winternights, oct. 31)
Ask..................... first man, made by odin from an ash tree
Alvissmál...............in the poetic Edda, the Sayings of Alvis

Baldr........................glorious son of Odin and Frigg
Bragi...................... Husband of Idun, god of poetry
Borr.......................... Father of Odin, Son of Buri
Bestla......................Mother of Odin, daughter of Bolthorn, a frost giant
Buri..........................Father of Bor, Grandfather of Odin, was fashioned frome the rime of the primeval cow Audumla
Brisingamen............ Freyja's magic necklace
Baldrs Draumar......in the poetic Edda, Baldr's Dreams

Dark Alf:..................... dwarf
Disir:......................... female wights, aka Idisi, honored at Disting and on Mothernight (dec 20)
Disting....................... a celebration in honour of the Idises, usually on dec. 20
Draupnir................. a dwarfish golden arm ring that drops eight similar rings once every nine nights

Eostre......................mentioned only by Bede and not in Scandinavian Mythology. goddess of dawn, east, the growing light of spring, youth, rebirth, thought to be the germanic/anglo-saxon version of Idhun
Eir............................Goddess of medicine and heathcare (?)
Etin..........................-> Jotun
Eliudnir....................Hel's hall
Embla..................first woman, fashioned by odin from an elm tree
Einherjar......................those who have fallen in battle and may therefore go to either Valhalla or Vingólf
Edda....................->the Younger and Elder Eddas
Elder Edda........... a colloction of Norse mythology, attributed to Saemund the Wise. was presumed lost until 1643.

Freyr........................ fertility god of fields, sun and rain. male fertility in particular. twin brother of freya, son of Njord and possibly Nerthus
The Frowe.............. a name for Freyja
Freya:...................... goddess of beauty, love, sex, fertility, (spring?), had many lovers
Frigg.......................Odin's wife. Goddess of the household, and of many other things
Freki.........................."ravenous" Odin's other wolf
freyfaxi....................... a celebration in honour of freyr, a harvest blót of thanksgiving, usually celebrated at the fall equinox, though sometimes also on oct. 31., august 01.
fjölkunnigr-kona:....seidr/spae worker, knowledgeable woman

Gangleri.................. a name of Odin
Gullinbursti..............Freyr's golden glow-bristled boar
Geri............................"ravenous" Odin's wolf
Gungnir...................Odin's magic spear that never misses it's target
Germania................ a description of the germanic tribes and cultures from the roman point of view, written by Tacitus in the first century C.E.
Grimnismal.............part of the poetic Edda, Frigg tricks Odin and bestowes victory to the Langobards
Gylfaginning......... in the Prose Edda, the story of the creation of the sun and the moon

Hod..........................son of Odin and Frigg
Hoenir....................->Vili
Hel...........................goddess of the dead and the underworld. daughter of loki and giantess angrboda
House Wights............ aka cofgodas, helpful house spirits
Hildisvin.................. Freyja's battle swine
Hugin........................"thought" Odin's raven
Hlidskjálf.................Odin's high throne in Valaskjalf, from which he sees and understands everybody in the world.
howe:..........................burial mound
hamhleypa............seidr/spae worker, shape shifter, skin changer
Hárbarzljód............in the poetic Edda, the Lay of Harbarth
Hymiskvida............in the poetic Edda, the Lay of Hymis
Hyndluljód.............in the poetic Edda, the Lay of Hyndla
Havamal.................in the poetic Edda, "the Sayings of the High One", Odin's code of Honour
Haustlöng..............a scaldic poem (ca. 900)
Heimskringla............ The Chronicles of the Kings of Norway
Hrafnagaldr Odins.... disreputed poem about Idhun in the Thorpe translation of the poetic edda, thought to be a later forgery

Idhun, Idun............ possibly a Van scandinavian goddess of youth. believed by some to be the same as Eostre
Iduna, Idunna.........->Idhun

Jord.............................giantess mother of Thorr, fathered by Odin. Goddess of primitive and uncivilised places
Jotuns....................... (frost?) giants aka etins, various kinds incl. rises and thurses

Lodur.....................->Ve
Loki..........................Trickster God, "Father of Lies" shape shifter
Light Alf:..................... ljossalf, lichtalb: light elf, creature of beauty
Land Wights.............. nature spirits, (akin to dryads in celtic myth, but also inhabiting stones, streams and other landmarks)
Loksenna...............part of the poetic Edda, "Loki's mocking"

Mani........................God of the Moon, he pulls the moon throught the sky every night, pursued by the wolf Hati
Mundilfaeri...........parent of Sunna and Mani
Mound Alf:.................. the dead of the buriel mounds who haunts or visits the living
muspilli.....................dwellers of Muspelheim, the fiery southern realm
Munin......................."mind" Odin's other raven
mannsongr.............. love songs (devoted to freyja? inspired by freya? both?)
Mjöllnir....................Thorr's famed giant-slaying hammer

Njord......................originally a Van, God of wind, commerce and the ocean, father of freyr and freyja
Nerthus..................possibly a VanGermanic goddess mentioned by Tacitus in Germania, possibly mother of freyr and freyja
Noatun...................Njord's hall, meaning boat yard

Od: ......................... Husband of Freyja, perhaps a name for Odin
Odin........................the Allfather. God of War and Wisdom, and many other things
Ostara.....................->Eostre (Ostara= Old High German)
Otter........................Freyja's lover who could turn into a boar

the Prose Edda...........->the Younger Edda
the Poetic Edda..........->the Elder Edda

Ragnarok.................... The Apocalypse, the end of the world, lalaaaahhh!
Rigsthula................in the poetic Edda, Rig's Song

Saeming..................... Son of Skadi and Odin, a warrior "who dyed his shield in gore"
Sunna.....................Sun Goddess. She who drives the sun chariot across the sky, ever chased by a wolf named Sköll
Sif........................... wife of Thorr, mother of Wuldor, Loki cuts off her hair
Skadi.....................originally a jotun, daughter of Thiazi, was breifly married to Njord. has status of goddess of ice and winter, hunting, skiing, and vengeance
Sleipnir....................Odin's 8-legged horse, borne of Loki's er.... womb... (?)
Sessrumnir............. Freyja's hall, aka Folkvangr
seidr...................... a type of magic or witchcraft asociated with Freyja (shamanic, affecting the mind)
spá, spae.............. type of magic, a word for seidr or a type of divinitory magic
Skirnir.......................Freyr's servant who convinces Gerd to marry Freyr by threatening her with nasty runic enchantment
seidr-kona.............. practicer of seidr
spae-kona.............practicer of spá or spae
Skidbladnir.............Freyr's magic ship that sails on water and air
Snorri Sturluson.......composer of the Younger Edda, born 1179. Icelandic historian, poet and politician. Law-speaker at the Icelandic parliament, the Althing. Author of the Heimskringla.
Saemund the Wise.... 1056-1133, thought to be the composer/editor of the Elder Edda
Skírnismál...............in the poetic Edda,
skaldic......................... ->Skald
Skald........................... a Viking Poet
Svipdagsmál..........aka Grógaldr, Fjolsvinnsmál: in the poetic Edda, "the Sayings of Svipdag, the Spell of Groa"

Thorr...........................red-haired and bearded god of thunder and lightning, god of warriors and of the common man
Troll:........................ a broad term for any obnoxious or malicious wight
Thjazi...................a frost giant who captures Idun
Tanngnjóstr.............Thorr's goat, scorches the earth when running over it
Tanngrisnir..............Thorr's other goat, cracks mountains when running over them
Thyrmheim.............Skadi's "hall", forested mountains in the lands of the frost giants
Thjálfi ......................a servant of Thorr
Thjelvar....................a servant of Thorr
Thrymskvida..........in the poetic Edda, the Lay of Thrym

Valaskialf.................. ("Seat of the Slain") Odin's silver-roofed hall in Asgard, where his high throne, Hlidskjalf; from it Odhinn can see into all the nine worlds
Valhalla.....................("Hall of the Slain") Valhalla is one of Odin's halls in Asgard, where those who have fallen in battle, the Einherjar, go after death.
Vingólf....................... A beautiful hall built by the Aesir as a sanctuary for the goddesses. Vingólf, along with Valhalla, is alloted to the Einheijar.
Vidar.........................son of Odin and Frigg
Vanir pl................ one of the two races of the gods (singular Van)
Vili........................... brother of Odin, slayer of Ymir
Ve............................ brother of Odin, slayer of Ymir
Vitkar............................... Wise women who worked magic and healing with the runes.
Völva....................... "wand-bearer", a witch, seer, fortune-teller, wise woman
Vitki...........................wise man who is skilled in magical lore, particularly the lore of the runes.
Voluspá..................in the poetic Edda, "the prophecy of the Vala"
Vafthrudnismál......in the poetic Edda,
Voluspá hin Skamma... in the poetic Edda, the short prophecy of Vala

winternights..............oct. 31 usually, -> Alfablót
Wight:..................... a term for any/all creatures besides humans and gods: land and house wights, giants, alfr, trolls, monsters
wyrd ................................ The process in which past actions (řrlög) work through time to affect present experience. Its meaning corresponds roughly to the Eastern concept of "karma". Although wyrd can be personal, it is often linked to whole families, tribes and even races.
Ymir..................... hermaphrodite primeval giant. slain by odin and his brothers to shape the world.
Yggdrasil.............. the world tree, thought to be either ash or yew. nine worlds in total: -> Asgard, -> Ljossalfheim, ->Svartalfheim, -> Vanaheim, -> Midgard, -> Jotunheim, -> Muspelheim, -> Niflheim, -> Helheim
yule............................winter solstice
Ynglinga Saga.......... The Story of the Yngling Family from Odin to Halfdan the Black, a part of the -> Heimskringla
Younger Edda............aka the Prose Edda, written around 1220 by Snorri Sturluson. Comprised of Gylfaginning, a narrative of Norse mythology, the Skáldskaparmál, a book of poetic
language, and the Háttatal, a list of verse forms.

Gala
May 19th, 2004, 09:14 PM
WOW! :reading: that is awesome. :yourock: I'm going to work on mine tonight since I am stuck at home.

Gala
May 19th, 2004, 10:20 PM
I just printed yours out MW,.... Now I can't find the research I did the other day.. I copied and pasted and even put the url's so I could refernce them and now I don't know where they are... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I found it... Yayayayay

Gala
May 20th, 2004, 06:41 PM
These are my questions about Njord. Post your answers here or not. This is just to help us all. njord (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/n/njord.html ) njord 2 (http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/mythology/myths/text/njord.htm)

Njord

1. Njord was the father of which two gods? And who was their mother? Was she the one who chose him by looking at his feet?

2. Was Njord always Aesir?

3. Why did the marriage of Njord and Skadi split up?

4. What were the main "jobs" of Njord? (What did he rule over?)

Gala
May 20th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Nerthus

Nerthus (http://www.englishheathenism.homestead.com/nerthus.html)

nerthus 2 (http://www.thetroth.org/resources/ourtroth/nerths.html)

1 The consensus is that Nerthus is a Goddess

T or F

2. And if she/he was a goddess, what does the Roman Historian Tacitus refer to her as?

3 Another source says that Nerthus along with Njord are the first and oldest of the?_________

4 Also some thing that Nerthus and Njord were infact one being. Thereby making the being a ?____________________

5. Nerthus holy beasts were the? And her chariot was drawn by?

WHITE EAGLE +++
May 20th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Mothwench and Gala you are blowing me away! I will be getting off my butt real soon. You are both very inspiring to me!

Gala again thanks for starting this thread and taking the lead with your questions. Mothwench thanks for that list of terms and names, I think it would make a convienient study referance for us all. I will be sure to print it out.

My Q & A coming up soon, I have gotten 3 hours of sleep the last two nights, as I was carving and painting and doing ritual for my first set of RUNES! More on that later.!

thank you

W. E. +++

WHITE EAGLE +++
May 21st, 2004, 11:19 PM
FRIGG

1. Not only is Frigg the goddess of the household and fidelity but she is also the wife of this well known “Father of the Gods”. Who is Frigg’s Husband?

A.) Thor B.)Odin C.)Frayr

2. Who was their son?

A.) Baldr B.)Horus C.)Njord

3. Frigg was tricked by Loki to betray her son by giving away the identity of the only item that could harm her child. Loki used this knowledge to a villainous end. What was this unlikely weapon?

A.)spindle B.)hammer C.)mistletoe

4. Afterwards Frigg attempted unsuccessfully to get him back by sending Hemod where in a quest to find him?

A.)IceLand B.)hel C.)Asgaurd

5. In another story, Frigg’s cunning has tricked Godan into proclaiming the Langobards victorious in a test he had previously declared. What was their physical feature that fooled him?

A.)beards B.)eyes C.)mistletoes :hehehehe:

WHITE EAGLE +++
May 22nd, 2004, 12:26 AM
FREYJA

1. Freyja(Norse Icelandic) is known by other names as well as Freya(Anglicized Norse), Feo (Anglo-Saxon)and Frowe (modern spelling). What other byname is she also known as?

A.)Vanadis meaning “Goddess” or “Lady” B.)Gefn meaning “Giver” C.) Horn meaning “Flax” D.) all the above

2. Freyja is well known for her wisdom and powers of shamanic magic that she pasted on as a gift to Odin. This early form of “witchcraft” was more specifically called what?

A.)Runemaster B.)Vitki C.)Seidr D.)Santeria

3. Freyja is also associated with many animals that serve or symbolize her. Which of these animals is NOT known as part of her assembly?

A.) swine B.)cat C.)falcon D.)squirrel

4.Freyja represents many spheres as well as love. What is another function under her control?

A.)fertility B.)battle C.) wealth D.) all the above

4. Many of those devoted to Freyja wrote “mannsongr” to honor her as she is very fond of this kind of offering. Before the conversions, what was it the Heathens frequently dedicated to Freyja?

A.)love songs B.)rock songs C.)gospel music D.)all the above

WHITE EAGLE +++
May 23rd, 2004, 02:33 PM
Gala could you please check my answers to your study question? :reading:

Njord

1. Njord was the father of which two gods? And who was their mother? Was she the one who chose him by looking at his feet? 1st Answer: Fryre & Freyja 2nd Answer: Their isn’t any known record of their mother’s name but she is thought to be Njord’s sister 3rd Answer:No she wasn’t the one that chose him for his beautiful toes, but rather Skadi from his second marriage.
2. Was Njord always Aesir?
Answer:Njord was formerly a Vanir but lived among the Aesir at first as a hostage, and then later was adopted by them due largely to marriage

3. Why did the marriage of Njord and Skadi split up? Answer:njord found he couldn’t live in Skadi’s homeland of Thymheim and she in turn wouldn’t live in his lands of Noatum. They part due to “irreconcilable differences” =P4. What were the main "jobs" of Njord? (What did he rule over?) Answer: Njord ruled over the wind & the the Ocean as well as being the God of Commerce and the wealth that it brings.

Nerthus

1 The consensus is that Nerthus is a Goddess

T or F

Answer: True

2. And if she/he was a goddess, what does the Roman Historian Tacitus refer to her as?
Answer: “Mother Earth”
3 Another source says that Nerthus along with Njord are the first and oldest of the?__ Answer:Vanir,Van orVanGermanic Gods

4 Also some thing that Nerthus and Njord were infact one being. Thereby making the being a ?___ Answer: Hermaphrodite or twin Diety_________________

5. Nerthus holy beasts were the? And her chariot was drawn by?

_____ Answer: Yoked cows_____________

Gala
May 23rd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Nerthus Q1.
Some think that Nerthus could either be a god or goddess, or hermaphrodite.

Also is Van the same as Wan, Aefentid?

Your answers are all correct as far as I can tell. I would ask Aefentid to check them over too.
Good job..

I have yet to do mine. Don't feel too good today... :(

Gala
May 23rd, 2004, 04:57 PM
Don't read till you have completed the questions.

So WE... how'd I do???
FRIGG:
1. Was the wife of Odin
2 Balder was their son.
3. Without looking it up... I think it was miseltoe
4 Hel was where Hemod went to have Balder released, but didn't work.
5. The beards. I wonder if the langobards were the same thing as barbarians... which means unshaven. I think???

Gala
May 23rd, 2004, 05:03 PM
Again don't read till you have completed your questions.

Freyja:

1. All of them. They are all her names..

2. It was called Sedir.

3. Freyja wasn't associated with squirrels.

4. Wealth, fertility , battle, sexuality, death and witchcraft...

5. Love songs.. they were outlawed... :hairraise

How'd I do huh how'd I do...?

Gala
May 23rd, 2004, 05:04 PM
Great Questions White Eagle..

I'll make the rest of mine... tomorrow or later on tonight... :)

banondraig
May 24th, 2004, 06:13 PM
tis thread is cool. i might have to jump in at some point, but not right now.

I wonder if the langobards were the same thing as barbarians... which means unshaven. I think???

o.t., but to answer a question, "barbarian" is a greek term originally meaning a non-greek speaking foreigner. apparently the ancient greeks thought that all foreign languages sounded like " bar-bar-bar" and also that they themselves were the most civilized people in the world.

Gala
May 24th, 2004, 07:09 PM
OK.. I could have sworn it had to do with somebody having a beard or being clean shaven...??? oh well...
Yes please jump in.

I was just overwhelmed by the info and I needed a way to focus in.

I haven't seen Aefentid in a while though... does anyone know if she is still around?

banondraig
May 25th, 2004, 02:11 PM
OK.. I could have sworn it had to do with somebody having a beard or being clean shaven...??? oh well...
Yes please jump in.

I haven't seen Aefentid in a while though... does anyone know if she is still around?

so far as i know the Greeks liked to be clean shaven. so it does have something to do with, i guess, just not the lingusitic origin. :) my roommate is kicking me off her computer. more later. :wave:

WHITE EAGLE +++
May 27th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Hey Gala-

You did great on your questions! You mean you did that from memory? Wow. I had to look yours up, but I must admit it is a great learning tool!

I havn't seen much in the posts from our teacher but, I think alot of us are really busy recently. I know i have beeen.

Yes please jump in.

As for the your question about the beards, Aefintid did say in his write up, "It is certain that the Langobards got this, their later name, from their long beards, untouched by scissors, while they were first called Vinnili, for in their language "lang" means long and "bart" means beard."

As for any one else dropping in to our study group i think the more the merrier!

btw; i am sending some energy with candles for your concerns, I hope all is well.

W.E.+++

Gala
May 27th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Hey Gala-

You did great on your questions! You mean you did that from memory? Wow. I had to look yours up, but I must admit it is a great learning tool!

W.E.+++

Heaven's no just that one question. Some of them I thought I knew but looked them up anyway.

I havn't seen much in the posts from our teacher but, I think alot of us are really busy recently. I know i have beeen.

I know.. I haven't seen her either.. I did send a PM to Morr since she is in charge of the Teaching Circle to see if she knew anything about her not being here
It's been nearly two weeks. I hope she is ok.

I haven't done my last Questions yet. Idunn. But I have been worried about myself and worried about Kevin being gone and stuff.. So I'll get to it. Mean time, if you want to take a God or two and make up some questions.. that'd be great.. then I'll do mine.
I have some of my "school", stuff to do.. I am teaching an online course in Art History and need to get the questions uploaded to my web site, so I might be a little late getting my questions done.. but don't give up on me.

I will find out tomorrow the results of the biopsy, so then I'll know better what kind of mind set I'll be.

Kern
August 13th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Hey I new most of the answers... :braindrai but not all.I will be glad when this class is back up,untill then I WILL JUST READ THE Q/A on the class board and learn......... :viking:

Gala
August 22nd, 2004, 09:00 AM
Hey I new most of the answers... :braindrai but not all.I will be glad when this class is back up,untill then I WILL JUST READ THE Q/A on the class board and learn......... :viking:

I don't know what's going to happen to it. The instructor is not here anymore.
Maybe someone else will teach it next time.