PDA

View Full Version : Hindu Deities/Path

KissMeImIrish!
May 17th, 2004, 08:15 PM
As of lately I've been drawn to Hindu deities(Ganesha, Parvati, Lakshmi, etc.), whereas in the last 3 or 4 years I have had absolutely no interest in the Hindu pantheon (actually I was kind of afraid of most of them. especially Kali!). I was just wondering if anyone else out there follows any kind of 'path' where they work closely with the Hindu pantheon, and if so, I would like to hear what other people of like mind have to say about it. for the record, I am of Irish-German descent, and I have never had any contact with the Hindu culture, aside from thinking that saris are really pretty :lilangel: . I was always quite eclectic with which deities I worked with, most coming from the Greek or Celtic pantheons. It has been a very strange month for me, having these gods and goddesses I never even looked at twice, drawing me to them!
merry meet and thank you for your replies :D

SylverStar
May 18th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I've never worked with the deities (unless you count Brahman) really but Hindu philosophy in general I tend to follow. I've been meaning to look into a build a relationship with the deities. I've had contact with Maya in a meditation. Which Maya is really more of a concept than a goddess but I have seen her in goddess form.

I actually work with a Greek pantheon.

DebLipp
May 18th, 2004, 12:29 PM
There's a lot of information out there about working with Hindu gods, and a lot of different ways of doing it. There are lots of different Hindu sects, the major ones being Vaishnite, Shaivite, Devite, and Vedanta. Vaishnite is Vishnu/Krishna/Rama worship -- the Krishna movement is a Vaisnite sect -- Shaivite is Shiva worship, Devite is Devi worship -- including the worship of Mahalakshmi, Mahakali, and/or Mahasarasvati -- and Vedanta is a kind of Hindu Universalism.

The important thing to know is that Hindu gods are very awake gods, extremely responsive to prayer and ritual, and can also be extremely demanding about having their needs met.

Ganesh sometimes MUST HAVE DONUTS. He can be really fussy about the whole donut issue.

Earthy
May 19th, 2004, 03:05 AM
I've just recently become interested in Kali..don't know much yet..but intend to do a lot of study and prayer.

KissMeImIrish!
May 19th, 2004, 07:37 PM
So far I have mainly worked with these gods in prayer, and have found them very responsive (DebLipp-donuts eh? Well a krispy kreme just opened in BC here so maybe I'll have to make a visit.. :hehehehe: ) I have had the most luck with Ganesh and Lakshmi (She seems to really like Vanilla incense-someone told me to burn it when working with her, and I have had wonderful results!) As for Kali, I have always been strangely drawn to her...I guess you could say I have a 'thing' for her imagery and myths. However, I haven't drawn up the courage to work with her yet! I have heard that her energy causes BIG change and upheaval (of course for the better), but I definately don't need that at this moment (my life is hectic enough!). However, seeing as I am drawn to her, I think sometime in the future she will have a lesson to teach me, and when that happens there will be no way to stop it!

moonmorgan
May 19th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I do not work with Hindu Gods but Brahman came to me in a meditation once and told me he was watching over me. I did not know he was Hindu then or that he was a well known being. However I haven't been able to contact him since.

Anahita
May 23rd, 2004, 11:16 PM
I work mainly with Durga though I have recently started exploring the other goddesses as well. I will also eventually work with the gods. It could have more to do with my personality than Hers, but mostly I don't get demands. However, I do know that She wants me to be a warrior like Her. Not in the military sense, but fighting for what I know is right and bolstering up my friends when they have problems that require a little fire to solve. A neat way to work with Hindu deities is through mantra. There are mantras for each of them, often a seed sound (single syllable one) and a longer one. They're fairly easy to find on the internet. You can also chant the 108 names of a particular deity. Of course, simple prayer is just as effective (at least it has been for me).

The Hindu pantheon and system of thought is fascinating and so complex. That's mostly why I've been moving so slowly in my explorations - there's a lot to take in!

- Anahita

Desdemona
May 24th, 2004, 12:06 AM
This is a neat site I have been visiting: http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/4965/

Thanks for the tip on Ganesh, Deb! I'll remember donuts next time, that really explains a lot.

I have worked with Kali for a while now, and the only upheaval and change that she has caused has been within me. My external life has been rock steady.

KissMeImIrish!
May 24th, 2004, 12:29 AM
I know this is alittle silly, but I'm still alittle weary of working with 'dark' goddesses ('scared' I guess is the proper term :sick: ) Has anyone else who's worked with Kali (or any other 'dark' goddess for that matter) had to overcome a sort of 'fear' before doing so? Is this normal, or am I just crazy :raining: ?

Wolffang
May 24th, 2004, 08:42 PM
I know this is alittle silly, but I'm still alittle weary of working with 'dark' goddesses ('scared' I guess is the proper term :sick: ) Has anyone else who's worked with Kali (or any other 'dark' goddess for that matter) had to overcome a sort of 'fear' before doing so? Is this normal, or am I just crazy :raining: ?
well I hav worked with lilith and I am now just drawn with kali aswell also....when I heard about the info in the net about them I grew a bit scared but there is something else that shows difference within the stories and their appearence and once u get to know them they aren't scary as u think...so no u not crazy :D :D :D :D :D :D :)

rhinoa
May 28th, 2004, 07:15 AM
I went to a fascinating talk recently given by a Wiccan who is Indian and was brought up in his homeland as Hindu. It has further inspired me to pursue more knowledge of the Hindu deities. He did give some information about Kali that was interesting. He was saying that she is a goddess of destruction, the dark aspect of Durga and is a little like Sekmet. Her rampaging and destruction totally took her over and the only thing that was able to stop here was for her husband to lie down in front of her. When she saw him she came back to herself and realised what she had almost done (kill him). Hindus will mostly not even have a picture of her in their house. Not through lack of respect, but out of not wanting to invloke those energies in the home. I have heard of people invoking her for things like love magic which is completely insane!

I am not saying don't work with her, I am just saying make sure you do some research and prepare yourself for some of the energies she may bring to your ritual and life.

WandererInGray
May 28th, 2004, 08:46 AM
I have worked with Kali for a while now, and the only upheaval and change that she has caused has been within me. My external life has been rock steady.

*grins wryly* I've found, Des, that the only time your external life gets chaotic working with Kali is when you ignore Her. :rolleyes: (yes, I am that big of a dumb*** sometimes!) :lol: Otherwise, like you said, the only upheaval is internal. She makes you see things you would otherwise ignore about yourself.

I enjoy Ganesh, He is very kind. Though Hanuman seems to be the one to take the most interest in me, outside of Kali. He is rock solid and always been a great comfort.

KissMeImIrish!
May 29th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Ganesh is very comforting and kind, and I work with him daily. He is the one Hindu deity that I feel the most comfortable and familiar with (even though I have only been worshipping him for not even a month now.) To me, he is like a father, and whenever I'm scared/upset/etc. he calms me down and makes me feel better, no matter how much trouble i'm in :smile: . I burn a special incense that is a blend of very earthy smells, and just one whiff of it brings comfort and thoughts of Ganesh.It's neat really, since Ganesh is the very first male god that I have ever worked with (due to my coming from a catholic family and being female, any God immediately brought back feelings of abandonment.) He's actually dispelled that fear I had of the male side of divinity, and since incorporating Ganesh in my daily devotions I have felt more whole and happy than ever. I even carry a 'devotion card' in my wallet! (a picture of Ganesh with a prayer on the back-side, laminated ;) )

Desdemona
May 29th, 2004, 06:51 PM
*grins wryly* I've found, Des, that the only time your external life gets chaotic working with Kali is when you ignore Her. :rolleyes: (yes, I am that big of a dumb*** sometimes!) :lol: Otherwise, like you said, the only upheaval is internal. She makes you see things you would otherwise ignore about yourself.

I enjoy Ganesh, He is very kind. Though Hanuman seems to be the one to take the most interest in me, outside of Kali. He is rock solid and always been a great comfort.
Oh man, Wanderer, I know what you mean. Someday I'll tell you my Kali story if you tell me yours.

KissMeImIrish!
May 30th, 2004, 06:11 PM
:eyebrow: Des, that bad huh?

Desdemona
May 30th, 2004, 11:55 PM
:eyebrow: Des, that bad huh?He he, not bad, just INTENSE.

See, I am a natural skeptic. I am a second-guesser, a hemmer and a hawer, can never make up my mind, and well, let's just face it, I'm just a dumb animal. You have to whack me between the eyes with a two-by-four to get my attention. The short hand version goes something like this:

Me: "Hmmm... gods and goddesses... I put up sacred space for this goddess, but, like, well, she has never come to me in a dream, or given me any signs. Maybe she's not the one. Maybe I got it all wrong. 'Thank you, Goddess, for your time.'" *puts statues and such in a carefully line box, and puts in closet*

Kali: "So you want a sign, eh? You need a 'sign,' little girl? That I exist? Well here ya go!" *picks up skeptical dunce by the scruff of the neck, shows Des the abyss she's kept her out of all this time, and plunks her back down safely, but soundly!*

Me: *rubs butt* "So... you are real, after all." *sheepish grin*

That's kinda how it went, saving the details for pm's only. ;)