PDA

View Full Version : Why cant it be easy?

Amethyst Rose
May 18th, 2004, 10:22 AM
This whole parenting thing....it's so hard. It's exhausting, it's frustrating, sometimes enfuriating. Always, rewarding, yes, but why must it be so hard?
I didn't get any sleep last night. Quintin went to bed at 9 just fine...but then he was up at 11, 12, 3:30 and 6:30 and then didn't go back to bed.... (he usually gets up at 8). I have no idea what was up with him. He didn't want to eat at all....maybe he's teething, maybe he was hot, (so I took off his sleep sack), maybe he was cold (so I put it back on).
I'm soooo tired......

FeatherGoblinglimmer
May 18th, 2004, 10:25 AM
*huggles*. I remember the times Milly did that too. Hang in there hunny. ((()))

Mindflayer
May 18th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Why cant it be easy?

Because then it wouldn't be any fun :p

Amethyst Rose
May 18th, 2004, 10:45 AM
About as fun as a hole in the head. :shot:

Sorry....no sleep makes me cranky.

Semele
May 18th, 2004, 10:50 AM
I don't find it hard actually. Never understood the idea that it could be hard. I wouldn't call it a meaningless task that just anyone could do, but I sure find it more fun then a hole in the head.

Shanti
May 18th, 2004, 10:56 AM
My heart goes out to you. I did it 5 times!! Its so hard you wonder how you'll survive it at times. I say being a mom is becoming a zombie!!! But the silver lining...it does end eventualy and you can sleep again. :)

FeatherGoblinglimmer
May 18th, 2004, 10:56 AM
i imagine a hole in the head might hurt a little. :huh:

FaerieGothMommy
May 18th, 2004, 10:59 AM
:hugz: i can totally relate! I remember it being alot harder when my daughter was younger, especially as thats when she woke up the most, and i know how frustrating it is when you dont know why baby won't sleep, and you are extremley tired.
My daughter is nearly 2 now, but she can still be a handful, and plus, i have another bubs on the way... so i think i'll be quite busy :lol:
Try getting a little sleep, even just a nap while your son naps, i know everyone says this, but it really does help.
I found with my daughter when she was younger, that if i really couldn't get her back to sleep, i'd take her downstairs and watch some T.V with her, she would soon nod off (it's something about the telly that makes you more sleepy than when your in bed lol) ....

Hang in there, it does get a whole lot easier....

FaerieGothMommy
May 18th, 2004, 11:02 AM
My heart goes out to you. I did it 5 times!! Its so hard you wonder how you'll survive it at times. I say being a mom is becoming a zombie!!! But the silver lining...it does end eventualy and you can sleep again. :)

I don't know how you done it 5 times! My mom has 4 kids, and my dad never ever helped, she'd go shopping and take all 4 of us kids with her and she had to walk, so she also had to carry all the shopping. My eldest sister was a little brat, and wouldn't sleep on her own, she was also very very active and only slept a few hours each night....

I think after my son is born, that'll be it for me :lol: 2 is way enough for me!

Amethyst Rose
May 18th, 2004, 11:02 AM
I don't find it hard actually. Never understood the idea that it could be hard. I wouldn't call it a meaningless task that just anyone could do, but I sure find it more fun then a hole in the head.

You must be one of those fabled supermoms I've heard talked about. :) But seriously.... do you really find getting up 5 times a night to be fun? Or trying to get a screaming baby to stop? Or wrestling with a baby who refuses to eat? Or am I just a wimp?
Yes, playing with him and laughing with him, and watching him achieve something new are fun. But it seems like every time everything starts going smoothly, he's eating well, sleeping through the night, etc. then he starts doing the complete opposite, and that's not fun.

Lady Jade
May 18th, 2004, 11:03 AM
cause then we wouldn't learn anything

Shanti
May 18th, 2004, 11:07 AM
I don't know how you done it 5 times! My mom has 4 kids, and my dad never ever helped, she'd go shopping and take all 4 of us kids with her and she had to walk, so she also had to carry all the shopping. My eldest sister was a little brat, and wouldn't sleep on her own, she was also very very active and only slept a few hours each night....

I think after my son is born, that'll be it for me :lol: 2 is way enough for me! I was smart. The first 3 and last 2 are 20 yrs apart!!! :)

Semele
May 18th, 2004, 11:21 AM
You must be one of those fabled supermoms I've heard talked about. :) But seriously.... do you really find getting up 5 times a night to be fun? Or trying to get a screaming baby to stop?
Well getting up five times a night to console or feed a baby who is actively calling out to you is more fun then getting up five times a night to reposition and give tube feedings to a child who can't call out to you and never will. Its all in the perspective for me.

But it seems like every time everything starts going smoothly, he's eating well, sleeping through the night, etc. then he starts doing the complete opposite, and that's not fun.
Babies, amazing little creatures that they are, will pick up on your moods and emotions and respond accordingly.

Deranged Hermit
May 18th, 2004, 11:23 AM
It can't be easy, cause then everyone would have 3 dozen kids, and then there'd be too many people.

I know how you feel, cause my boys didn't sleep very well until, oh I suppose about when they were potty trained. I was on my own every night, cause Tor sleeps really sound, and never did wake up. (I still love him bunches anyways)

The kids do grow out of it, and start sleeping through the night. You probably won't though, cause once your little boy starts sleeping really well, you'll wake up and check on him to make sure he's okay.

Hang in there, and keep thinking about the good stuff! :hugz:

Ben Trismegistus
May 18th, 2004, 11:39 AM
It gets easier. Quint's a few months behind Joey, and Joey has now been sleeping through the night consistently for about a month.

Tzhebee
May 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM
If it was easy, it would not be near as rewarding. :D

Vampy
May 18th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Hugs hun,

I know how you feel... I barely get any sleep either!... I only get a few hours of sleep in a couple of days lately... my boys have been doing that very same thing... go to bed fine, wake up almost every other hour, wont eat anything... wont drink hardly anything... I made them stop working out with me because I did not want to dehydrate them because they aren't drinking... it must be something that is going around.

morrigen
May 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM
My little guy is now a year old. It really does get easier.

Just take one day, hell, one minute at a time if need be. You'll get there. :)

Mysticism Deity
May 18th, 2004, 07:12 PM
aww yes I know exactly what you're talking about . My twin boys are 8 months now and they still get up every 2 hours to eat. they were sleeping all night until they started crawling which was at 4 1/2 months. I was doing it alone due to my husband being in Iraq at the time and that was exhuasting. I did that alone for 7 months. I do find this mommy job easier and eaiser though. but there are times where I am just too tired but I keep going cus that is my job.

Usually when my boys wake up more often like every hour or so I know they are going through a growth spurt maybe thats whats happening to your son? and teething could be a good call also..

I hope he sleeps better for you tonight and nights ahead :huddle: I hope you can get some rest.

Shanti
May 18th, 2004, 07:17 PM
aww yes I know exactly what you're talking about . My twin boys are 8 months now and they still get up every 2 hours to eat. they were sleeping all night until they started crawling which was at 4 1/2 months. I was doing it alone due to my husband being in Iraq at the time and that was exhuasting. I did that alone for 7 months. I do find this mommy job easier and eaiser though. but there are times where I am just too tired but I keep going cus that is my job.

When my boys woke up more at night, every hour they were going through a growth spurt and teething.

I hope he sleeps better for you tonight and nights ahead :huddle:
Twins and alone? I must say you are one tough lady. I cant help but feel amiration toward you. Thats a hard job indeed. ~hugs~

Mysticism Deity
May 18th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Twins and alone? I must say you are one tough lady. I cant help but feel amiration toward you. Thats a hard job indeed. ~hugs~

Thank you. It is very rewarding but hard. I am very grateful they were on the same secdule. now they are not on the same sechdule so much (at night) but that isnt a problem anymore husband and I each take a baby to care for each night when they wake to eat.

They are a handful.......but better to be full than empty :)

Temair
May 19th, 2004, 09:25 AM
I have four children, and the youngest is now 3 months old. I have never had a problem with losing sleep when they are babies because I have them in a bassinette right next to the bed and I breastfeed, so I don't have to get up to feed them. I just reach over, bring them in the bed with me, latch them on and go back to sleep. Sometimes I wake up hours later just to find that she is still latched on. I think my second had the hardest time sleeping at night. She started waking up every night and coming into our room when my husband and I were going through a rough spot in our marriage before she turned two. Although we worked things out within a couple of months, her waking up lasted almost a year and a half and we had to move twice before she would sleep through the night again. Her little sister who just turned two is now going through the same thing, though there are no marital problems, so it may just be the age. My first one had no problems at all. All I do is get up and put them back to bed. Some days are harder than others, so just relish the days that they come up and give you a huge hug and say, "Mommy, you're the BEST!". Or, since your's is so young, the days he just smiles up at you for no apparent reason. That's how they tell you they love you. When it gets tough, take a moment to relax yourself, and then take some time to see if you can get him to smile. That would be after you correct what is wrong for him.

Go down the checklist:
Is his diaper wet? Sometimes my Rowan will get upset the moment she dribbles in her diaper.
Is he teething? Try some Orajel or rub some clove oil on his gums (just a tiny amount).
Is he too hot or too cold? Experiment here.
If you have long hair, make sure none of your stray hairs got wrapped around his toes or fingers (it's happened).
Did he have a bad dream? If he calms down as soon as you pick him up, that usually indicates that nothing is physically wrong with him.
Is he going through a growth spurt? Children really do grow overnight, in their sleep, so he may have growth pain.
Could he have an upset tummy? Cucumbers, brocolli, beans, etc can cause an upset tummy, along with a zillion other foods.
Is he constipated? Rowan gets really cranky sometimes and it seems she just wants to nurse forever until I am sore from her nursing so much, then she fills her diaper with an explosion (that's what it sounds like), and she is fine again. She will even laugh a couple of moments after she is all done. Just make sure that he's all done before you change the diaper :).

These are just some suggestions. I hope they help. I didn't mean to carry on so long. Just remember that the sleepless nights are worth it when that little baby stares up at you and beams. Take heart, and if you need to talk, feel free to PM me.

Llewyth
May 20th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Oh you nailed it Tremair! Bravo!

Yeah, Michel was a pain like that Rose. Now when Lirielle starts to do the same thing, it's the checklist plus with her it's usually a temperature thing. If not, then I Tempra her. She gets more sleep, I get more sleep. We're all happier with more sleep. And the teething things seem to go away faster if they''re not tired. I do the co-sleep breastfeeding thing too. When she wakes up at night, I just plug her on the boob and go back to sleep.

I wish I could go over and take your little guy out for a walk for you so you could get a nap. Hey, call someone for a nap!

fahawk
May 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM
My babes never slept..and I "was" a walking zombie..it really irritated me to hear other parents tell how theirs slept so many hours and on and on..
I breastfed, family- bed, made no difference..it was horrible and being that tired isnt a fun thing- so I can sympathize with you!!!

Luckily, eventually they do grow, start to sleep longer, but while you are in the "stage" that they arent sleeping- no amount of "I know how you are feeling" really helps :)

I honestly feel now, looking back. I would have tried a bottle- breast-milk or otherwise..let someone take the baby for a spell..and SLEPT!