PDA

View Full Version : Social Security Theivery

Keith Dragon
May 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Alright, I will admit, I don't know if this is true or not, but wanted to get your thoughts as to if this is the truth, and if anyone knows where I can find the Truth behind this.

Apparantly the Democrats are accusing the Republicans of stealing Social Security funding, but a friend sent this to me with some interesting facts.

Any thoughts?

Subject: SOCIAL SECURITY TRUTH

> Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social Security (FICA)
> Program. He promised:
> 1.) That participation in the Program would be completely voluntary,

> 2.) That the participants would only have to pay 1% of the first $1,4oo.oo of their annual incomes into the Program,
>
> 3.) That the money the participants elected to put into the Program would be deductible from their income for tax purposes each year,
>
> 4.) That the money the participants put into the independent "Trust Fund" rather than into the General operating fund,
> and therefore, would only be used to fund the Social Security Retirement Program, and no other Government program,
> and,
>
> 5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed as income.
>
> Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are now receiving a Social Security check every month -- and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of the money we paid to the Federal government to "put away," you may be interested in the following:
>
> Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the independent "Trust" fund and put it into the General fund so that
> Congress could spend it?
>
> A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the democratically controlled House and Senate.
>
>
> Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?
>
> A: The Democratic Party.
>
> Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social Security annuities?
>
> A: The Democratic Party, with Al Gore casting the "tie-breaking" deciding vote as President of the Senate, while he was
> Vice President of the U.S.

> Q: Which Political Party decided to start giving annuity payments to immigrants?

> A: That's right! Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party. Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65, began to
receive SSI Social Security payments! The Democratic Party gave these payments to them, even though they never paid a dime into it!

> Then, after doing all this lying and thieving and violation of the
original contract (FICA), the Democrats turn around and
tell you that the Republicans want to take your Social Security away!

> And the worst part about it is, uninformed citizens believe it!

> Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions during this 2004 election year!
>
> If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted and maybe good changes will evolve.

> How many people can YOU send this to?

> Keep this going clear up through the 2004 election!! We need to be heard!

luna rising
May 18th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I can't help you with any answers to what you posted, and I am sure you don't want to hear my SSI rant. But thanks for giving me a starting point to educate myself. That is pretty interesting stuff, and I will pass it on.

HerbGurl
May 18th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Alright, I will admit, I don't know if this is true or not, but wanted to get your thoughts as to if this is the truth, and if anyone knows where I can find the Truth behind this.

Apparantly the Democrats are accusing the Republicans of stealing Social Security funding, but a friend sent this to me with some interesting facts.

Any thoughts?

Keith, that email that your friend sent you is false. Look at what I found here:
http://www.snopes.com/cgi-bin/news/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000003
I hope that helps!
Blessings,
HerbGurl

Shanti
May 18th, 2004, 02:02 PM
I have a question. When I went on disability because of a physical disabilty, I could not get my social security because I was 4 points short. They said I had to each a certain point level before I could receive the money I had already paid in from working. They said I would have to work for several more years before I could get any of my money. I couldnt continue to work and I had previously worked for years in a factory. I owned my own business which I had to give up because of health. I ended up with SSI, which sucks. What I want to know, is since I will never get the money I did paid into social security, who will get MY money? This sure is not fair!
I think the hole system stinks. What about people who die and have no family? Where does all their money go?

Keith Dragon
May 18th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Keith, that email that your friend sent you is false. Look at what I found here:
http://www.snopes.com/cgi-bin/news/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000003
I hope that helps!
Blessings,
HerbGurl
Thanks everyone, I knew you wouldn't let me down. Just want to be sure.

Dragon

Laisrean
May 18th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I'm never one to doubt the evilness of either party, but you should always take chain emails with a very large grain of salt since they often tend to be lies.

Kadynas
May 18th, 2004, 07:18 PM
From what I've heard /both/ parties have dipped their fingers into the SS money at one time or another...

Dark Phoenix
May 18th, 2004, 08:26 PM
SS has become something akin to a goverment creidt card because they borrow money from the fund to pay back at a latter date and spend the money on pet projects. Now the SS has gotten so bad that they have to find new ways to prop it up as more and more people retire and less people are working to put money in the fund.

Keith Dragon
May 19th, 2004, 10:32 AM
From what I've heard /both/ parties have dipped their fingers into the SS money at one time or another...
It really time to start pushing a third party, the time is getting ripe. Actually, I'm starting a thread as a conceptual mental construct of a theoretical third party if anyone is interested in voicing opinions.