PDA

View Full Version : What is YOUR writing "ritual?"

Blondie
May 30th, 2004, 11:18 PM
I'm sure we all have them.

You know, those little things we do to get the creative juices flowing prior to writing.

First off, I lounge around. I try to get out all of my self-criticism and negative emotions. I might talk to deity, my guardian angel or just myself. The goal is to release anything thats not beneifical.

Secondly, I usually compile a Winamp list of songs that remind me of the screenplay (or teleplay) I'm working on. I play the songs while I pace around my room, usually talking like my characters to myself, and seeing if they can provide any insight on how to start off.

I usually end with an affirmation, prayer, or even some creative visualization to help get things going in the right direction.

:bigblue:

What is YOUR writing "ritual?"

Thalias_Smile
May 30th, 2004, 11:46 PM
:crystalba I have found that meditation outdoors, next to a very specific tree that I meditate next to often, will def. get my creative juices flowing. :sunny: As I have been delving more into my specific spiritual path, and calling upon the power of my deity and personal angels, it has been much easier not only to meditate, but to write my poetry as well. It has all been devotional hymns, which I am planning on putting into a book, along w/some of my own art, into a book on a publishing site called lulu.com (http://www.lulu.com). So far I have 11 poems and have yet to purchase a sketch pad & art pencils for the illustrations in my book.

MerrisHawk
June 3rd, 2004, 05:25 PM
I don't really have anything that works well. I use music to keep a mood focus if I'm working on a particualar scene.
Most of the time I keep notepads handy everywhere because I'll get a flash of material almost anywhere or anytime. A ramble in my diary can turn into a story idea, a song, a walk by the river. Almost any time my brain isn't working on something else.

Am I the only one this happens to?

Terestai
June 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM
I don't really have a ritual, per se... whatever happens happens! I could get into the mood because of something I saw, experienced, listened to, who knows. For some reason, I never write well when I try to psych myself up or put myself into the mood when the mood hasn't struck me.

However, I do look for inspiration everywhere I go.

Infinite Muse
June 4th, 2004, 11:53 PM
i find i am hit with inspiration at the ofddest of times, so i always have a paper and writing stick on hand always.or else when i jump out of bed at 2am, i know where to find them in a hurry ;)
to inspire myself for poetry, there is an automated haiku generator that i go to (every few seconds it generates a new haiku that is completely random and i find those random words to be inspiring)
when i write on paper i scratch out and scribble very badly, arrows going all over when i reword things
when i write on computer i leave blanks all over when i come up short of an approtpriate word, save it, then go back to it later
like right now i have the line "stitch me back together" written down on my scrap paper
i had something i was going for, but i have forgotten it
maybe one day it will come back to me and i will write a poem :)

argento_occhi
June 11th, 2004, 01:14 PM
inspiration hits and i run with it. inspiration hit me mid january and i haven't stopped writing since. (i've been writing since i was 12, so it's not like i started this year). the main fanfic i'm writing has reaches 43 pages and over 30,000 words. i'm stoked. it's the longest thing i've ever written!

Aedrais
June 11th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Music, obviously. I either play a song that's on my mind, or my favourite 'memory CD', compiled of songs with lots of memories attached. I light a candle, settle down at my table (or my window), and think. Or I go sit up in a tree somewhere, that sparks creativity. Or... actually, I write in all sorts of situations.