PDA

View Full Version : Win2k

mol
August 4th, 2001, 04:51 PM
So, what does everyone think of windows 2k ? And I mean windows users...I dont want just bashing here! I just wants some opinons of the OS. I put it on a laptop I am using...I will give my opinons later...

Myst
August 4th, 2001, 07:03 PM
RAM hog and not enough support/drivers yet. It easily ate 50 megs of my RAM at any given time by itself. Then when I got more RAM I tried it again and found there wasn't support for my scanner so I ditched the OS again. Just another tweaking of 95 IMHO...

Mairwen
August 4th, 2001, 08:29 PM
I love Win2K! I have Win2K Professional.

It happened to eat a few of my drivers ... like for my scanner, Roller Coaster Tycoon and my printer ... Was able to get a patch for the printer and Tycoon by just going to the Lexmark and Tycoon sites, but the scanner people want $80 for an upgrade ...

(I told them where they could stick their scanner; I can get a better, brand new one for $50. LMAO!8O)

Other than that, it works excellently!

PS ~ It gives you the option to bundle up all your WinWhatever information and saves it for you, in case you change your mind and want to go back to it. However, once you uninstall it, it's gone. Buh-bye! You're then married to Win2K, for better or for worse ... Unless you want to do a totally clean install. *eeeeeuuuuuuwwww!*

mol
August 4th, 2001, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by WillowRaven
RAM hog and not enough support/drivers yet. It easily ate 50 megs of my RAM at any given time by itself. Then when I got more RAM I tried it again and found there wasn't support for my scanner so I ditched the OS again. Just another tweaking of 95 IMHO...

Ack. Well, I am no microshaft fan...but...

It nowhere compares to 95 or 98 in the ways of networks. It seamlessly implements differnet protocols on demand. And the rebooting is less often. And it seems a whole lot faster when compared to 98 or 95.

Here is the setup:

Win2k Professional
Toshiba 700mhz Pentium III
256 megs ram
And all the other crap I am not going to list...

It supported all my hardware except for a pcmcia serial adapter that I used for development. But, oh well, I will just buy one that does have support by win2k.
\
Just my 3 cents....so far...

loopy
August 5th, 2001, 01:55 AM
After my brother nagged me for weeks, I finally gave in to installing Win2K Professional. We just did not get along. Having to enter a password every startup and such... and he put it in, so I could never remember it... I might be biased though, because I like the neat lil face things on my WinME Media Player.

Myst
August 5th, 2001, 03:14 AM
Depends. If you have a complicated network, sure. We run on a network with a 2k Advanced Server serving files, burner server on 2k pro, games machine on 98, and my desktop with 98 as well as the laptop with 98. With the router we don't have to worry about too many protocols (just TCP/IP) and even when I have a box on Linux we just use Services for Unix... so we don't see a difference. It was a lot slower on my machine but my SO doesn't have too many problems with it.. then again I rarely have to reboot anyway... if it were about rebooting I'd just go back to Linux and probably never have to reboot again :D

Ah SO mentions they still use NT at work and haven't integrated 2k yet but he thinks it would be a big improvement (again, he's a network admin). He also mentions I might've had a problem with 2k because I'm using an AMD chip :rolleyes: 8O :eek:

MistOfTheSea86
August 5th, 2001, 04:03 AM
Uses it and it seems fine, it runs great and quick. I enjoy it

loopy
August 5th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Hey, what is NT? I keep seeing it everywhere, thinking it means "Not Applicable" or something... Yeah, I know applicable doesn't start with a "T" but... :)

evilslinkycat
August 5th, 2001, 07:38 AM
I run win2k at work, most of us do out there. I have to say that I like it, doens't crash nearly as often as 98.With some of the sofatware we use I had my system going down left and right untill i upgraded to it, so thats something atleast.:p
We have more problems wiht Lotus Notes then we doo with 2k

EasternPriest
August 7th, 2001, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by loopy
Hey, what is NT? I keep seeing it everywhere, thinking it means "Not Applicable" or something... Yeah, I know applicable doesn't start with a "T" but... :)

Windows NT is an OS like win 95, 98, etc... except it was designed for originally for servers rather than individual pc's It works so well, that Bill Gates can't use it to run the MSN network.

loopy
August 7th, 2001, 02:12 AM
Thanks EP. :D

Xois
August 7th, 2001, 05:17 AM
I guess I am one of the few who really actually LIKE Microsoft products.

W2K is a HUGE advancement over previous versions of NT--MS went to a standards based system so it really does intergrate much better.

As a person who has to make both Mac users and Windows users happy, its the best product out there for the server side (since I don't know linux) especially once apple fixes OSX.

Stable, reliable, and I have had NO problem with drivers, and I have rolled it out to an adaptive lab with all types of crazy printers, keyboards, and software (like Jaws)

My second fav is BeOS :) its so cute!

its worth the extra Ram, in my opinion

Cheers
Xois

Myst
August 7th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by EasternPriest
It works so well, that Bill Gates can't use it to run the MSN network.

Bill Gates doesn't run the MSN network, his lackeys at TalkCity do. The parts of MSN that are taken care of by Microsoft are handled by Win NT.

Yet another story that got out of hand...
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,20768,00.html

Xois : that's good about the drivers. I had a problem with drivers for UMAX which as far as I can tell is the most popular brand of scanners in the area.... That was the major reason I went back to 98 on the desktop (when you have 124+ meg ram you won't notice the difference anyway, and 256meg ram is about $50 around here right now)

Mairwen
August 7th, 2001, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by WillowRaven

Bill Gates doesn't run the MSN network, his lackeys at TalkCity do. The parts of MSN that are taken care of by Microsoft are handled by Win NT.

I used to do customer support for MSN Internet Access. At that time, it wasn't handled by WinNT. Dunno if that's changed. I do know one thing, and that's if they could figure out how to get MSN-IA to operate 1/4 as well as MSN Communities 8O, they might end up with a 1/2-way decent ISP. I know that 2 years ago, it sucked. (can I say that here? LOL)

Mari

Myst
August 7th, 2001, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Mairwen
can I say that here? LOL

LOL sure

mol
August 8th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Xois

My second fav is BeOS :) its so cute!

its worth the extra Ram, in my opinion

Cheers
Xois

BeOS ROCKS!

Nikola
August 9th, 2001, 01:04 AM
I have been using w2k on various machines since March 2000. It has much better support for devices than NT and as you have found, it does pretty good at networking. My biggest complaint right now is that Cisco does not yet have a supported VPN client for w2k on their low end routers :( I recommend 256MB of RAM tho (RAM is so cheap now that I seldom buy less than 512MB).