PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training

skye*
June 3rd, 2004, 03:23 PM
HELLO, IM SURE ALOT HAVE YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS.
I ON THE OTHER HAND DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT, I WANT TO START HAVING MY DAUGHTER USE THE POTTY INSTEAD OF HER DIAPER AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME.

wOULD IT BE EASIER IF I WENT TO THE BATHROOM AT THE SAME TIME SO I CAN SHOW HER, OR IS THERE OTHER WAYS THAT WOULD WORK BEST.
ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. SHE IS ONLY 16 MONTHS OLD BUT I WANTED TO TRY TO START NOW OPPOSE TO LATER.

THANKS MUCH:)

Shanti
June 3rd, 2004, 04:21 PM
Well I dont use the term potty training. Mental and physical growth have to be reached.
You cant rush it. Every child developes this mild stone at differant times.
My 5 kids learned potty control as earily as 2 yrs and as late as 4 yrs old.
The interest has to be there too and thats a big factor.
I learned, when they are ready, they'll want to do it. Mine all gave up the diaper over the course of just a day or two because they just desided they didnt want to be babies anymore. No bribes, tricks or games. I let them grow at their own pace. One day, each kid just said I dont want a diaper on. And that was it!

I often take them to the bathroom with me to show them how big people go potty and my SO and I takes the boys. My boys went from diapers to standing at the big pot just like daddy! And daughters wanted to be like mom.

Thats how i handled it. :)

FaerieGothMommy
June 3rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
I agree with Shanti on this one. My daughter is 23 months old, she knows what a potty and toilet is, what it's for, how to use it. But she won't use one properly yet, she is just not ready.
She does sit on the big toilet, get some toilet paper and wipe her bits, but she doesn't actually do anything :lol: it's so cute to watch though, and shows she is learning.
But i don't push her, i sometimes take her diaper off and say "if ellie needs a wee wee, sit on the toilet" she usually sits on it straight away and pretends to doa wee, then actually does a wee on the floor :lol:
I know she'll get it in her own time & pace.
You can introduce a potty to your duaghter, but personally i think 16 months is extremley young for her to actually start using it yet.
When i went to the toilet, i told my daughter i needed a wee wee, so she knew why i was sat on it and what i was doing, thats how she learnt what a toilet is for.
So just tell her, introduce her to a potty (if you want to) but expect it to take quite a few months yet, don't push her either.
Like Shanti said, let her do it in her own pace. :)

morrigen
June 3rd, 2004, 06:25 PM
Shanti and FGM share the same philosophy as I do.

My mother finds the whole thing very strange as when she was bringing up my brother and I, toilet training was started at about 1 year old, and the baby was made to sit on the potty till it had done something. Seems a bit brutal to me. Then again, this was at the same time as "scheduled feedings" and great walloping spankings for every misdemeanor...my folks took the hard line....

Anyway. yes. I agree with these guys. *nods*

Nightmelody
June 3rd, 2004, 06:43 PM
One thing that does help( I used to be a two year old day care teacher) is to use those thick training panties, with plastic pants over them. Modern diapers and pull ups wick the moisture away, so it takes longer to feel the connection between the deed and the wet.

Also, kids who are on soy milk tend to have very soft stools, and that seems to make it harder for them to get bowel control, perhaps due to the quickness of their bm.

With my own kids I used an old book called Toilet Training in a day, which had a fun Betsy wetsy doll activity, and treat rewards (which, I know, some people vehemently object to.) But it did have a big fun factor, which helps. And we had a cool tape, with songs like 'I've been sitting on the potty, all the live long day...'

I think pressuring the child and trying to make it an obedience issue(which I have seen done) or a parental pride issue just backfires into a miserable mess.

blugirrl1
June 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
I share Shanti and FGM'S way of thinking. My son would refuse to sit on the little potty, and wanted nothing to do with "toilet training" so i just put it up and let it come naturally. finally he said he wanted to pee in the potty like daddy and from that day we had no problems. my daughter "trained " ( and your right Shanti i don't like the term either, but it is so commonly used.) at a younger age but a lot more accidents. either way they did it their way, on their own schedule. we have on open bathroom policy. with 4 people and only one bathroom i joke that we either need a revolving door or a just a curtain, because the door never stays shut. both my kids were in the bathroom with the big people to see what/ how . welp people that was my potty experience. :lol:

Lunacie
June 3rd, 2004, 08:55 PM
**laughing** Our toddler is smart enough to change the channel on the tv and put in her own video tapes. And yes, she's smart enough to know which ones are "Barney" and which are "Bear". But she doesn't want to use a fork to eat and she doesn't want to use the potty.

FaerieGothMommy
June 4th, 2004, 02:11 AM
**laughing** Our toddler is smart enough to change the channel on the tv and put in her own video tapes. And yes, she's smart enough to know which ones are "Barney" and which are "Bear". But she doesn't want to use a fork to eat and she doesn't want to use the potty.

:lol: that is kids for you! They can be stubborn little things, which is typical behavoir of a toddler. They just do everything when THEY want hehe...

skye*
June 4th, 2004, 01:11 PM
yay!!!!
i cant beleive it, we woke up late today and i had to go so i figured id try putting her on her potty to see what happened. By the time i was done i heard tinkling:)
Than she tryed to see in it and stayed on didnt want to get off,lol. I picked her up and saw she had gone:)!!!I am so extatic, she did it all on her own and i didnt even tell her anything. She wanted to climb back on it, it was so cute:) SO i figure every time i go wich is quite often cause im pg i'll let her join me on hers. Couldnt hurt and i am so happy my little angel is growing up:) She didnt want a diaper back on im going to go get some pull ups, that would be easier, she takes her diaper off and her pants already has for months now.
yay, had to share :)

FaerieGothMommy
June 4th, 2004, 01:52 PM
yay!!!!
i cant beleive it, we woke up late today and i had to go so i figured id try putting her on her potty to see what happened. By the time i was done i heard tinkling:)
Than she tryed to see in it and stayed on didnt want to get off,lol. I picked her up and saw she had gone:)!!!I am so extatic, she did it all on her own and i didnt even tell her anything. She wanted to climb back on it, it was so cute:) SO i figure every time i go wich is quite often cause im pg i'll let her join me on hers. Couldnt hurt and i am so happy my little angel is growing up:) She didnt want a diaper back on im going to go get some pull ups, that would be easier, she takes her diaper off and her pants already has for months now.
yay, had to share :)

Wow! shes done good.. keep praising her, and she'll keep at it

Eclectic Celt
June 4th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Merry Meet
I don't think that there is a right or wrong way to teach your child, but when your kid is ready he/she will let you know.
I struggled with my eldest for ages, she was 3 when I got her out of nappies, I told her that she was going to school and that the other kids don't wear nappies, and that I had none left. and she just decided to go and do it by herself.
My youngest is 2 and she is still in nappies because she doesn't talk and understand as much as my other daughter did. I tried her today with no nappy, just nickers, but she thought it was fun to do it in her pants. :grrrrr: She is actually affraid of the loo and hates potties. (I just can't win with her) :grrrrr:
So all I can suggest is that you fill your child up with juice and put him/her on the loo and sit and wait, try and make it fun by doing some singing, until the unexpected happens then praise yr child.
Good luck and try stay cool about it.
Blessed Be

Llewyth
June 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
One day I went to get a diaper and there were none left. So I told my kid, who was almost three at the time, no more diapers so you're going to have to use the potty. He said: "Are you sure?" I went yes. So I gave him lots of juice all day and the first few times he messed on himself he was disgusted and I showed him how to clean it up. After babrely half a day he was potty trained. Took about a month for there to be no accidents; even at night.

LisaT4P
June 4th, 2004, 04:32 PM
I got a video for our daughther http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/630181231X/qid=1086380904/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/002-0839362-5171247?v=glance&s=video and used a "Sticker chart" on the wall in the bathroom. If she went #1 on the potty she got a sticker, if she went #2 she got 2 stickers (it's harder to get them to do #2 on the potty). That worked with her.

With my boys it seemed NOTHING would work until I got those blue tabs you put in the back of the toilet that turn the water blue. Then when they would "go" it would turn the water green and they just LOVED that! LOL

Other friends used Cheerios for training and then later used Froot Loops for aiming (hit all the red ones, blue ones, etc.) Oh, I keep forgetting that some aren't in the states and they aren't called the same things... Cheerios and Froot Loops are round little cereal bits with holes in the middle. :)

Lisa :)

Temair
June 5th, 2004, 02:40 PM
My #1 and #2 were in paper diapers because I didn't know that cloth ones still existed. The oldest graduated out of diapers right around her 3rd birthday, but I had two in diapers for a couple of months. Then 2nd graduated about a month before her birthday, a couple of weeks before #3 was born. She just decided to. I specifically avoided it with her then because we had just moved and I was 8 months pregnant and I thought it might be too much all at once for her. #3 and #4 use cloth diapers and #3 is now 2 years old (25 months) and she has been out of diapers during the day for several months now. I had to strike a bargain with her, though. She loves to go naked and strips off her clothes whenever she can, including diaper. I finally told her that if she wanted to run around naked, she had to learn to use the potty because I was tired of cleaning up after he all the time. If she didn't want to use the potty, that was fine, but she had to wear her clothes. She opted for naked and now is starting to be able to go all night without wetting. I found that she doesn't wet her bed more often if she is wearing a diaper. If I let her go without the diaper, she tends to wet the bed. I don't know why. But she wear underwear all day and only wears the diaper at night. I do believe that cloth v. paper makes difference. I also suspect that's why children 20 years ago and more routinely started using the potty at 2 or so, but nowadays, kids often don't use it until 3 or 4 or even 5. Yes, there are kindergartners who still wear diapers I learned. I don't expect my 3 month old to start using the potty anytime soon. :hehehehe: So that's my experience.

Tanya
June 7th, 2004, 08:03 AM
My 15 month old and I have been playing 'catch" since january. She comes and sits with me when i go.. each of us on our potties.. we laugh and just chat, and she gets a sitcker on her leg for just hanging out and sitting on it for a few minutes.. sometimes she gets lucky.. then we run around the house like we just won the superbowl.. telling everyone there what just happened. most of the time we just visit, and often she gets off and widdles on the floor... i don't admonish her for misses, and she always gets hugs for the effort. I figure she will get it all together when she does... occasionally she goes and sits on it... if i get her diaper off ast enough she has big win in the tinkle department. But i'm not working her too hard, she doesn't yet have the language skills to tell me... (though strangely as others have noted.. she does have the skills to change CDs in the CD player, ask for origel when she's teething, a book at bedtime and explain she'ld rather have a cookie than dinner)
Tanya

FaerieGothMommy
June 7th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Remember to those of you who are potty training, kids do not usually have the skill to hold in their pee pee until 18-24 months, years ago, they didn't know this and thats why potty training was more strict.

It's normal for a child to take upto the age of 4 until they completely get the grasp of potty training.

Shanti
June 7th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Remember to those of you who are potty training, kids do not usually have the skill to hold in their pee pee until 18-24 months, years ago, they didn't know this and thats why potty training was more strict.

It's normal for a child to take upto the age of 4 until they completely get the grasp of potty training. Very true.

Phsycal skill and mental skill have to be in sync!!!! :)

If their not in sync and fully developed its just frustration for all.

And bed wetting can go on for years and years. Some kids just sleep too sound to know they gotta go.

Temair
June 8th, 2004, 08:53 AM
But i'm not working her too hard, she doesn't yet have the language skills to tell me... (though strangely as others have noted.. she does have the skills to change CDs in the CD player, ask for origel when she's teething, a book at bedtime and explain she'ld rather have a cookie than dinner)
Tanya
Look for other signs that aren't verbal. Until just a month or so ago, my 25 month old would start to pull her pants down or lift her shirt up (assuming she was wearing something at the time). I would ask her if she had to go potty and she would nod her head. Now most of the time she just goes and climbs up on the potty herself. She is speech delayed and in therapy for it, and alas, there have been some accidents when I thought she was asking if she could "Please" take her clothes off and actually she was trying to take them off while saying "Pee", which sound identical right now. So learning the nonverbal cues can greatly help.

TWILIGHTSKY
June 11th, 2004, 04:38 AM
I was very lucky with my daughter- she was completely out of diapers by the time she was 19 months!
She was very young when she showed interest in using the potty- she'd want to go when we went, or even if we were just in the bathroom. In the beginning it was hit or miss (no pressure involved) with lots of praise and silliness if she went. My boy will be one on the 23rd, so I'm sure it won't be very soon that he's ready, but I do things like put him on the toilet before their bath(which our daughter thinks is pretty funny). When your child shows an interest in it, encourage her to try without getting pushy; a frequent potty "schedule" will be a help- and cool/pretty "big kid" panties were a real hit with Adrienne! Good luck!

skye*
June 14th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks Everyone For All Of Your Great Advice:)!!

She Has Been Using The Potty Since We Got One And Now Loves It:) She Sometimes Dosent Go But Loves To Try, And Sit On It For A While. She Gets Lots Of Praises For Both Going And Trying. I Def Dont Want To Push Anything, It Will Come When Shes Ready And Am In No Hurry:) She Has Come Along Way And Im Very Proud Of Her.
I Made A Little Chart And Give Her Stickers To Wear On Her Shirt, She Really Likes It.

Thanks Again, And Merry Bless:)

soilsigh aingeal
June 14th, 2004, 04:49 PM
getting ready to start my daughter right now, all I can say is not to force it if they're not ready, my nephew was forced (well they tried) and ended up not being trained until four.