PDA

View Full Version : Opinions anyone?

Yvonne Belisle
August 6th, 2001, 12:04 AM
Professor Ronald L. Mallett, professor of physics at the University of
Connecticut, says he has found the secret to travelling back and forward in
time, and many colleagues are taking him seriously.

He says he has the mathematics to back up his theory and hopes in the next
10 years to send subatomic particles back in time, and then, eventually, to
transport humans.

It's based on Einstein's general theory of relativity that says gravity is
the curvature of space-time. This is why strong gravitational fields can
bend light and slow down clocks [all clocks, equally, whether they be
mechanical, chemical, atomic, biological, whatever]. You age slower as the
gravitational field you are near becomes stronger.

So if one sends a laser beam into a circle then a gravitational field is
created which therefore bends space. Anything put into the middle of the
light loop is dragged around by the gravitational force. So having two
laser lights going in opposite directions, and controlling the intensity of
the light or slowing it down (using work done at Harvard University and
Harvard-Smithsonian labs recently), the gravitational field intensifies.
Get the gravitational field up high enough and time becomes space. And if
time becomes space, then moving in space is equivalent to moving in time,
forward or backward. It's just a cakewalk back to the 50s or into the next
decade.

Hartford Courant 23-Jul-01
<http://www.ctnow.com/scripts/editorial.dll?bfromind=1248&eeid=4954446&eetyp
e=article&render=y&ck=&userid=1&userpw=.&uh=1,0,&ver=3.0>

Yvonne Belisle
August 6th, 2001, 12:06 AM
I'm sorry the link isn't working

Mairwen
August 6th, 2001, 12:13 AM
Excellent!

The neatest thign I've read on time travel lately was Michael Crichton's TIMELINE. It was excellent!!! :D

EasternPriest
August 6th, 2001, 01:42 AM
Could be interesting:) Guess we'll know in the next 10 years.

Celtic_Angel
August 6th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Ray Bradbury wrote a short story called "Sound of Thunder" that had to do with the ability to travel in time. All precautions were taken, after extensive study and research, to make sure that nothing that they did in the past would affect the future and there were a lot of rules. Of course, the trip still went wrong and when they got back to their present time they found that they had altered the future. I think anyone who wishes to create time travel should read Bradbury's story and give it some serious thought. On the other hand, there may be something to it. As EP said, "Guess we'll know in the next 10 years."

Lilu
August 6th, 2001, 10:27 AM
hehehe Kind of sounds like the movie "Event Horizon". Now that was a WEIRD movie! Ended badly too. I think time travel would be best left alone.

Lilu

Illuminatus
August 7th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Einstein's theories demonstrate that time is relative, and can slow down, or speed up, relative to your surroundings.. by surroundings, I mean your condition in terms of speed, gravitational fields, and such.

If you flip through A Brief History of Time, you'll see some of the charts relating the relationship of space and time.

You'll also notice, that for time to STOP entirely, you have to be going pretty goshdarn fast - C, the speed of light, the universal speed limit. And finally, that itself, is relative. Even if I could make a ship that travels at light speed without somehow breaking down into light iself (currently the only way to travel at the speed of light is to BE light), time would not "stop" for me. I could not walk around on the streets and see all the people frozen like manequins! No, time would march on for me, just feel a lot slower, while everyone back home would comparatively be doing stuff a whole lot faster.

The same is true from the gravity end. You could slow down relative time by entering a huge gravity field (assuming you could figure out how to go into a huge gravity field without being ripped apart), and time would slow down in contrast to the people outside. A day inside the field might be an hour on the outside. But that doesn't mean you suddenly appear there yesterday. Again, the charts in A Brief History of Time show the limit - the curves level off and approach infinity. They don't break below the X axis all of a sudden, they just level off. A black hole with near-infinite gravity is the only force to even get close to almost-stopping time. And there is no force that can make it go backwards.

ABHOT is a good read, I suggest you all pick it up. It's very well written, most kids can pick up the concepts no problem.

Silvercrow
August 17th, 2001, 01:22 PM
I agree, time travel should be left alon,one mistake in the past and you can completely screw up the time line,going forward in time would completely
ruin the surprise of new technology,spieces,space and time.

"my solution to solving temperal paradox's is.. don't
too complicated...too risky"

~Captain Catheren Janeway U.S.S Voyager
Star trek

Tigerwallah
August 21st, 2001, 11:27 PM
Why not go back in time and trash the planet of the past? Imagine, McDonald's wrappers and coke cans in Ancient Greece. Let's tear the ozone layer when the technology for sun screen doesn't exist and give all of our ancestors sun cancer. Or how about we party with a man in the 1800's and because he wasn't at home with his wife she doesn't have that baby 9 mos later. All of a sudden Matt in Arizona disappears because his great grandfather was never born. Wow! What a great idea. NOT!!! :rolleyes: :p

Tigerwallah
August 21st, 2001, 11:30 PM
Just because we have the technology doesn't mean we should use it.

silvermoon
August 21st, 2001, 11:55 PM
Anyone whose a sci-fi fan knows the perils of time-travel. You know the "Grandfather" paradox...... if you go back in time and kill your grandfather (esp when he was a child) HOW can you if you didn't really exist in the first place ????????:confused:. Really how can you go back in time and not affect the future....no the present ......no I'm confused.

Just because we have the technology doesn't mean we should use it

So true, so true Tigerwallah

silvermoon

loopy
August 23rd, 2001, 12:36 AM
I don't know; I understand the reasons why not and all, but I still think it'd be pretty neat to do it. :) If they could actually make it work ten years or so from now, I might sign up. I mean, how cool would it be to travel back and know once and for all how the dinosaurs became extinct?

So if it actually is possible, does that mean that there are an endless number of "you" all existing the various moments of your life? I wonder what number I am now, and if some future me will ever show up to give me advice...

mol
August 24th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Everyone talks about how bad technology is...yet you are using one of the greatest advancements in technology to discuss it.

The internet.

Danustouch
August 24th, 2001, 10:44 AM
I don't know...there is so much we could IMPROVE with time travel. Yet..there is also so much opportunity for messing things up. I'd say we should leave it to the very highly trained, but...hey..even our GOVERNMENTS screw things up...So..I'm not sure that ANYONE would be responsible enough to deal with the concept of time travel. Just as we're developing human cloning, but we're keeping the whole thing underwraps...deciding whether or not it is ethical to use. Time-travel will certainly be one of these highly debated issues. I mean..just look at what happened in all the "Back to the future" movies. Wasn't that scary enough for all of you?????? (giggle). Sometimes, I wonder why we are able to ponder all of these weighty issues. You know, that somewhere, out there, whatever it is that created us, is just sitting there, shaking their heads and saying.."They REALLY think they've got it now, don't they? ". And giggling. That's the way I see it, at least. When the issues of Time travel, and those of Cloning, have been resolved, and we've made an ethical decision on whether or not, and how to use them....there will still be another mystery for us to unravel. It's part of the great cosmic game..LIFE.

Swanspirit
August 24th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Perhaps time travel will be needed for space travel?..... not just going back in time..... on this planet .......perhaps the LAWS of time travel we dont know yet wont permit changing the overall pattern the way Science Fiction writers have portrayed it? Perhaps time travel will be useful to avert disasters in the future ?
Science Fiction has speculated and postulated on many things ..... and they sometimes get a close approximation but we still laugh at Flash Gordon dont we??.....but there is after all a SPACE STATION in existence and we do have the HUBBLE .....perhaps Time Travel will be useful for things we have only .... or even havent yet dreamt of?
Love and Laughter Echoing down the HAlls Of Time
From someone who has had more than one past life in the future :>
Swannie