PDA

View Full Version : Should my daughter be the ring "boy" in a wedding?

Calyx
June 8th, 2004, 10:29 PM
OK, the story goes something like this.....
My husband's best friend is getting married at the end of June, and he's one of the best men. They asked my daughters to both be flower girls. The oldest one, Alex, is a real girly girl and is absolutely delighted. The youngest, Sara (4), is a total tomboy and is throwing a fit about having to wear a dress. She wants to wear pants. :eyebrow: I told this to the bride, who said she could be the ring "boy" and wear pants. I think it's sort of a cute idea myself, but was wondering what others thought.

The girl factor is also hampered by the fact that she cut a huge hank of her hair off on Saturday, and the only way to fix it would be to either get her a mullet (NO!) or a burr haircut :wah: . It can be disguised by pulling it back in a ponytail where it's not that noticeable.

Sooo, a girl ring bearer in a tux with a ponytail??? :bigredgri

I really need opinions here, because we need to get tuxes this weekend! :ahhhh:

Desert_Yaqui
June 8th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Hey Calyx!! :hugz: How are you my good friend? ... Heh... how's the burn healing? :p Okay on topic!!

Well, I have never really been one to follow tradition, so I think this is really a very cute idea!! :lol: And as long as the bride is "OK" with this--and you have her verbal permission--then I say, "Why not?" ... I say allow the youngster to dress the way she wants.

NO MULLETS!!! :sick:

Oh, and I would love to see some pics of Sara in her kick-ass tuxedo! ... :hehehehe: I cannot wait!

Hey!! Where's your other pics? :bastard:

Hope
June 9th, 2004, 12:12 AM
another NO to the mullet --giggles

and a YES what a great idea :) does she have an interest in doing that?

love
hope

MerrisHawk
June 9th, 2004, 12:20 AM
It sounds like a perfect solution that will make everyone happy.
I've seen some pants,shirt and silk jacket combos on older girls, you could have the same for her. I think it was an Oriental or Indian style, I've forgotten where I saw it.

oddgrace
June 9th, 2004, 12:38 AM
I think its absolutely adorable. And your daughter sounds like quite an individual character already! You should be so proud! :)

Shanti
June 9th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Why not?

Faery-Wings
June 9th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Hey Calyx. :)

I say go for it as long as she and the bride say ok. I think it would be adorable. And your daughter sounds like a very free spirit. :)

morrigen
June 9th, 2004, 06:46 AM
I agree with everyone else. I think it would be adorable.

Oh yeah...no mullet!!! :D

Calyx
June 9th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the input, y'all! :hugz:

Yes, she is a very free spirit. She's an old soul. She has a bit of indigo tendencies, that's for sure.
I am trying to encourage her free-spiritedness and independence, so that's why I thought the tuxedo thing would be cute for her. The wedding is on the 26th of June, so I will take pics of both of them! :hearthear

FeatherGoblinglimmer
June 9th, 2004, 08:47 AM
I tried to cut my hair when i was younger and to fix it my mum got me a mullet. How one haircut can ruin someones life so much i don't know....Don't get the mullet. :)

Felidae
June 9th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Hey Calyx I agree with everyone else: Wonderful idea!

...And friends don't let friend's daughters get mullets. :smileroll

Calyx
June 9th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Hee Hee! NO Mullet!! :hairraise The very thought horrifies me. :sick:

I will have to at least get her a little trim though, because right in the middle of the sheared off patch of hair, there's this one long scraggly strand that makes it all look even worse!

I'm really more exasperated than angry. I just don't know how to fix it. I guess I will just have the haircut lady try to do a little trimming on it. Or, I could force her to wear ponytails all summer til it grows out, but I don't think I can last through that battle. She'd wear me down for sure. :hehehehe:

Felidae
June 9th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Hee Hee! NO Mullet!! :hairraise The very thought horrifies me. :sick:

I will have to at least get her a little trim though, because right in the middle of the sheared off patch of hair, there's this one long scraggly strand that makes it all look even worse!

I'm really more exasperated than angry. I just don't know how to fix it. I guess I will just have the haircut lady try to do a little trimming on it. Or, I could force her to wear ponytails all summer til it grows out, but I don't think I can last through that battle. She'd wear me down for sure. :hehehehe:
Believe me, I know what you are talking about: When my daughter was 5 she cut her hair (and trimmed her Sheltie's mane) with pinking shears! They both looked very... punk. :rolleyes:

Calyx
June 9th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Believe me, I know what you are talking about: When my daughter was 5 she cut her hair (and trimmed her Sheltie's mane) with pinking shears! They both looked very... punk. :rolleyes:

AAAAAAAAH! :jawdrop:

At least that didn't happen for me. She looks like a street urchin now. *sigh*

I suppose I should be thankful that she didn't cut a hunk out of the top of her head, where there would be no hiding it at all! :shaker: :yayhawaii

Felidae
June 9th, 2004, 09:31 AM
I suppose I should be thankful that she didn't cut a hunk out of the top of her head, where there would be no hiding it at all! :shaker: :yayhawaii
:hehehehe:

djmixon
June 9th, 2004, 11:42 AM
I think it would be an adorable idea. . .she would be the ring bearer. . .teller her it is a very important job. . .

MoonWeed
June 9th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Absolutely she can be the ring "person" LOL I think it would be great to just let her do it.People will get such a kick out of that also.Just think of the pics you can show her when she's all grown up;)
Also no mullet LMAO :crazyman:

banondraig
June 9th, 2004, 12:21 PM
that's awesome! you have to post pix, they will be so much cooler than the ones of me as my mom's flower girl. little frilly dress . . . how boring. i barely even remember the ceremony.

Zeliziw
June 9th, 2004, 12:50 PM
My husband's best friend is getting married at the end of June, and he's one of the best men. They asked my daughters to both be flower girls. The oldest one, Alex, is a real girly girl and is absolutely delighted. The youngest, Sara (4), is a total tomboy and is throwing a fit about having to wear a dress. She wants to wear pants. :eyebrow: I told this to the bride, who said she could be the ring "boy" and wear pants. I think it's sort of a cute idea myself, but was wondering what others thought.

The girl factor is also hampered by the fact that she cut a huge hank of her hair off on Saturday, and the only way to fix it would be to either get her a mullet (NO!) or a burr haircut :wah: . It can be disguised by pulling it back in a ponytail where it's not that noticeable.

My daughter was a ring bearer and it worked out just wonderful. So why shouldn't your daughter be one? If the bride is fine with it then that is the important part.

It wasn't that long after her sister cut the ring bearer to be hair also. I had to cut her hair so short and cover a bald spot as well. (They were 2 and 3 at the time) No it wasn't a comb over LOL fortuately her hair was thick enough to hang over the bare spot so it wasn't too noticeable.

Sheila

djmixon
June 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM
My oldest cut her hair twice within weeks of each time. . .she used the scissors and cut up, not across, the last time. . .so we had to get a very short pixie cut. Looked cute on her, but she didn't do it again after she lost all her hair. . .

Nighthawk
June 9th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I have heard it as ringbearer... so.. why care about boy or girl? So many gender declassifications have happened... Let her be comfy... I am sure it will turn out fine

DragonsChest
June 9th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Is there any kind of headcovering she could wear (or would wear) that might cover the hack-job better than the ponytail? Wouldn't work with my daughter, she hates anything in her hair: no braids, no ponytail holders, no barrettes, nothing! Won't even put her hair behind her ears.

Sometimes....these "free spirits". Don't know where she gets it (then looks in the mirror!)

Rowan MoonDragon
June 9th, 2004, 01:39 PM
I think its a very cute idea!

HerbGurl
June 9th, 2004, 02:21 PM

It sounds fine to me. I was the "ring bearer" in my aunt's wedding when I was five. However, both my sister and I were girly girls and adored the dressed. I do have to commisterate about the hair with you. My 3 year old sister, two weeks before my aunt's wedding while we were in the family room cutting up magazine while my mother was talking to the real estate agents (we were moving in a month) took a pair of scissors and cut her hair around the crown of her head where it was held with barrettes. She then went into the other room and asked my mother to remove the barrettes from her hair. Imagine my mother's shock when she did that! Needless to say, she had to get an emergency set of bangs. :goodgrief
Oh, one other suggestion, although it may not apply to you. If you are not sitting with your girls in the audience (my mother was bridesmaid and had to be in the wedding party) and my dad was best man, so Sis and I had to sit in the audience during the wedding. To keep up quiet, mom gave us each a lollipop. My sister finished hers, and wanted Mom, so she walked to the front, and my mother wound up holding her for part of the ceremony. Lesson? Get an entire bag of candy, to last through the whole thing. :T
I hope the wedding is a success!
Blessings,
H.G.

Muireannach
June 9th, 2004, 02:35 PM
as far as the pony tail goes you can dress it up with a ribbon and a few flowers, perhaps a wreath or a few around where it is tied.

LadyTrinity
June 10th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Sure.. why can't there be a ring "girl" in the wedding? :thumbsup:

Please NOOOOOOOOOOO Mullets!!!!!!!!! :bastard:

scaerie faerie
June 10th, 2004, 04:24 PM
It'd be fine for her to be the ringbearer (although I must join everyone else in condemning utterly the idea of mulleting an innocent child. :D ) - I was the usher at my sister's wedding recently, so I know whereof I speak! I didn't wear a tux, but anyway...

Go ahead with it - it sounds like you're doing a great job of nurturing your daughter's individuality. :)

misschief
June 11th, 2004, 10:00 PM
why not?

Jenne
June 11th, 2004, 10:09 PM
I think a pixie cut is in order! LOL Better that than a mullet! And you can always tie a cute little bow in her hair to match the bowtie of the tux! I think the girl ring bearer idea is fabu! And yes, please do share pix!!!

blugirrl1
June 12th, 2004, 04:28 PM
jenne has a good idea about the pixie cut. My MIL cut "bangs" inot my DD hair not to long ago and it looked like a mullet, so we got her a pixie and it looked so much better.
as far as a ring bearer, i say go for it. if the bride is fine with it i see no problem.

Calyx
June 29th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Well, the wedding was this past weekend, and she did indeed wear a tuxedo. :)
And I have to tell you, she looked absolutely adorable! :thumbsup:
Everyone made such a fuss over how cute she looked, and I managed to have the stylist pull her hair back into a semi-ponytail that hid the missing hunk of hair. The stylist also trimmed it a little, so that it's less noticeable, and we were not forced to go the Mullet route--whew!!!

When I get the wedding pics developed, I will post some on here.

Of course, my girly girl was beautiful too, and looked just like a little princess.

When I saw them coming down the aisle together, I got all teary because I was so proud! *sniffs and giggles*

Felidae
June 29th, 2004, 12:54 PM
:yayhawaii I can't wait to see the pictures!!!