PDA

View Full Version : Homesteading

Temair
June 9th, 2004, 10:27 AM
http://www.daycreek.com/dc/html/ssmenu.htm

Here is the thread I promised. It didn't seem too appropriate for the thread I mentioned it on, so I started this one. Feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate forum for it. Homesteading can be as dramatic or not as you wish. Essentially, it is simply providing for your basic needs yourself. Food, clothing, shelter, warmth. Money doesn't count for this. I mentioned homesteading as a kid, so I will elaborate. When I was young, we had 5 acres of land, where we raised Toggenburg goats (a dairy breed). The goats provided all of our milk, some of our meat, and some leather (well, my dad *tried* tanning :) ). We also cut some of our own timber for the woodstove from the back two acres.

One reason I am so fond of homesteading is the spirituality you can gain from living as part of nature. The other is the health. You know your food is pure because you grew it yourself. The air you breathe is more pure (in most cases, at least). The exercise you will get is very pure :hehehe: and there will be no shortage of it.

To relate it to family and parenting, what better way to raise your children? They gain an awareness of the cycles of life and the seasons, and they are physically healthier for it.

Sylvan
June 9th, 2004, 10:42 AM
:) We lived a little like this when I was age 5 to age 9. Our milk was bought from the farm down the road and my parents would make butter with the stuff on top. We'd go out into the surrounding woods to get firewood all summer long and stock up the woodshed and basement so we'd stay nice and warm in the winter. Mom sewed alot of our clothes, and made homemade bread and granola. When the bulkhead doors needed to be replaced, Dad built new ones himself. I helped Mom make a quilt for my dolls once.. :) And we had a garden that we got quite a few vegetables out of. We were in zucchini relish for *years* after that! :lol:

I wonder if that simple living was part of the magic of living in that house- I'd always assumed it was the house itself. Maybe it was just the do-it-yourself living... :hearthear

Shanti
June 9th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Thats how I grew up for the first 9 yrs of my life. My parents made an agreement with the Munsee Indians so we could live on res land and learn how to be self-efficiant. Was it great!!! We had no electric or running water. My dad hand dug for the underground water for the hand pump. We had an out house and we had a wood stove. My dad hunted and we grew veggys. My dad built us a one room cabin for a family of 4 and he did it all with hand tools. We had land that was on the wolf river and we fished and went crabbing. We did go to the city for the worst of the winter because us kids had to be in school and we were not allowed to attend the res school, we are not Native. So other than that limit, it was the best way to live the first 9 yrs of mylife and I learned more back than, than at any other period of my life.

I would like to do it again with my family. Its a goal to have land like that but with plumbing and electric, and we prefer a windmill!! But land is so expensive that it seems like only a dream right now. :(

DragonsChest
June 9th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Very interesting! I spent a lot of time looking at the photo albums. The cordwood houses are really pretty.

Thanks for the link.

MoonWeed
June 9th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the link..I could see myself there in a heartbeat;)