PDA

View Full Version : Stars

Danustouch
August 8th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Is it possible to actually SEE a star burn out?

Last night, I was swimming at my hubby's parents house, and I was looking at the sky. I saw a star...and it suddenly glowed very bright, and then, dissappeared. I don't know if it was clouds...causing the visual effect? Or if I actually SAW a star burn out. But it was odd.

Swanspirit
August 8th, 2001, 02:43 PM
What you may have seen was a meteor from the meteor shower Perseids which is active right now, and is active this time of year every year :>, so in a sense Yes you did see a piece of a star burn out as it came into our atmosphere :> .........
here you go check this out :>
http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/perseids.htm
Love and HUGS
Swannie

Illuminatus
August 8th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Yes, it is possible to see stars go nova! But it's very, very, unlikely, since nobody can predict the exact instant when one will go, and more likely than not the star is so far away, it can only be seen by astronomers with huge telescopes.

Meteors are clearly visable to the naked eye though, so that's probably what you saw! Also, if it's moving, it would have to be a meteor (since stars are stationary)

Myst
August 8th, 2001, 06:59 PM
It should also be noted that even if it didn't appear to be moving it could've been doing so - just moving towards your direction, in which case it wouldn't seem to look like it was moving.