PDA

View Full Version : Pagan Gods

celticwish
February 23rd, 2001, 08:13 AM
I am looking for info on the gods. Their is alot of info on the goddess but not on the god aspect. If anyone has any info please e-mail me. Thank you.

Blessed Be Celtic wish

Mairwen
February 23rd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Well, that depends on where you're looking and what you're looking for, exactly. This would be an interesting topic for this forum, so I'm glad you mentioned it. Anybody got any ideas/thoughts/information?

celticwish
February 23rd, 2001, 12:09 PM
Well I have been looking in book stores on the web anywhere I can think of but really no luck. So here I am I even e-mailed Mol yesterday. I just think their should be more of a balance between the two.

Mairwen
February 23rd, 2001, 04:05 PM
Well, you're probably right. However, most of the Ancient religions are Goddess-centered.

Lilu
February 23rd, 2001, 06:25 PM
I know a lot of people don't really like DJ Conway for a lot of her books, but I REALLY loved her book, "Lord of Light and Shadow" it talks about the different phases of the God, and also has stories on different Gods from different cultures.

To me, it was a fabulous find just when I was feeling drawn to HIM.

Lilu

celticwish
February 23rd, 2001, 08:26 PM
Mairwen you are right ancient religions are more of the goddess aspect. I am just trying to go ahead on my education being a solitary and all. I am still looking for a balance though. I also think how am I going to grow without this balance since their is a balane in everything around us.

Lilu yes I have read DJ Conways book. Did you think the photos where a bit odd I did. Thank you very much for your help.

Blessings To All Celtic Wish

Maggie
February 24th, 2001, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Mairwen
Well, you're probably right. However, most of the Ancient religions are Goddess-centered.

Hehehehe. You might like a book called Ancient Goddesses. It's edited by two female scholars, all the chapters are written by female scholars. They reexamine the Great Goddess concept, in particular looking at Gimbuta's later work.

Regards,

Maggie

Kalima
February 24th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Very old, and not necessarily historically accurate ... but Margaret Murray's 'The God of the Witches'? may be a place to start :)

Also, you could try looking into Greek and Roman cultures ... they had very strong Gods. And there's a flush of 'Jack o' the Green' and 'Herne the Hunter' -esque things in British mythology.

Perhaps what I am trying to say is, if you want info on the God, veer away from Pagan texts, and try some historical/straight mythological stuff? :)

Maggie
February 24th, 2001, 10:38 AM
[i]
Perhaps what I am trying to say is, if you want info on the God, veer away from Pagan texts, and try some historical/straight mythological stuff? :) [/B]

Could try Hutton's __History of Pagan Europe__ too, as well as the celtic mythology. Look in the history section or the myth/folklore section of either libraries or bookstores instead of new age/inspiration.

Regards,

Maggie

eaglewolf
February 24th, 2001, 12:51 PM
This is something to consider for the God/Goddess a day topics... I notice they are all Goddesses so far.

Perhaps alternate between the two, or start a new topic for discussion all together. eg God a day and Goddess a day discussion groups.

Or... do I need to go back to bed? :)

~ew

Mairwen
February 24th, 2001, 02:58 PM
A God A Day and A Goddess A Day sound good to me ~ but I'm not the one posting them. :D

eaglewolf
February 24th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Me neither!

~ew

Naillosotarrain
February 26th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Have you tried looking into Egyptian Mythology? Granted, it can a little confusing for the beginner but it might answer some questions for you; since both the Greek Zeus and the modern day "Prince of Darkness" come from Egyptian Mythology (Serapis and Sutekh), it may be a good starting point.

celticwish
March 3rd, 2001, 10:05 AM
I just wanted to thank you all for the wonderful info. I am looking into everything you all sent me. I'll let you no what I find and pass it on to you.

Blessed Be Celtic Wish

Tigerwallah
March 5th, 2001, 02:00 AM
This is one of my favorite Historical/archeologically documented books. It does mention some of the ancient Gods, mostly those from Egypt, Africa, the Holy Land, and other ancient regions of the Middle East. It also provides an excellent, anylitical view of the matrilineal societies that first worshipped the Goddess and the introduction of male deities - and eventually, the single male deity that would change society to what it is today. Fascinating book, many good clues about the earliest known Gods and their names. It is published by Barnes and Noble, written by Merlin Stone.
It was first Published in 1976 - written years earlier.

As a footnote:
I was amazed at an archeological find in the region known as Mesopotamia, that appeared in my local paper just a few months ago. An Ancient grave site was found. The females were richly decorated with jewls and other embelishments, and the men were buried without any such items in much smaller, crudely built graves. - Proving at least one point made by this book.

mol
March 5th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by eaglewolf
Me neither!

~ew

Neither is Semele...

She just didnt see enough interest..the first AND second time she posted them. :p

celticwish
March 5th, 2001, 11:45 AM
I think it is a great idea! I have been doing some reading and when I think I no what to write and wich goddess or god I will post it and hope others will do the same. I am better at talking than writing so it will take me sometime to get all of my thoughts together.

Blessings Celticwish

PaganBoyNC
March 5th, 2001, 12:35 PM
One way to examine the gods is to look at some of the most common roles they have played and offices they have taken.

Sun Gods have been important to many cultures. The Sun God is generally seen as a Father figure and as a King. He is seen as one who provides for his people and cares for them, growing food with his own energy and often times being sacrificed each year. Apollo (and his early form, Helios), Lugh and Ra are popular Sun Gods of various pantheons.

Woodland Gods have also been important in the past. Woodland Gods are gods of the wild, the forest and the hunt. They connect the people to the animals they hunt for food and to the cycles of nature. Like the sun gods, they offer protection (especially from natural events). They also connect people to their more "wild" natures--revelry, sex, fertility and trance states. Pan, Dionysos, Cernunnos and Herne are popular Woodland Gods of various pantheons.

The modern atsrological planets and associations are another thing to look at, especially given their connection to the human psyche and how often they are seen in association (in both ancient and modern times) with plants/elements/etc. These are actually Roman gods (and they have their Hellenic ancestors--for as Drew Campbell put it, when the Romans conquered Greece, Greek culture conquered the Romans). This provides us with a number of examples to look at.. Ares (Mars) who rules our aggression, passion and fertility, Hermes (Mercury) who watches our words and travels, Zeus (Jupiter) who rules many of the "big" things (religion, law, justice..) and provides for us, Cronos (Saturn) who reminds us of our own limitations and physical mortality, Poseidon (Neptune) who helps us get in touch with our more intuitive, spiritual sides (as well as our more repressed emotions, especially anger which is often repressed in modern western culture) and Hades (Pluto) who rules transformations, death and rebirth as well as hidden matters. Of course the sun (Apollo / Helios) is also a god in his own respect. (As the topic here is gods, I have not mentioned the wonderful array of goddesses in Hellenic culture here).

If anything on this quick, incomplete outline of the gods appeals to you look it up or ask me for some sources.. I wrote this just to get the brain juices flowing on the subject of the Pagan gods, not as a complete guide to them. Good luck on your search!

Mairwen
March 5th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Why is it that ... when people hear or see the word "Gods", they automatically think "Male Deity-Form"?