PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness for warnings about 'evils' of Harry Potter

Kaylara
August 11th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Let's stop polluting the minds of our young with the horrors of Egyptian and Greek mythology, which have mystical, magical creatures that make a mockery of man.
While we're at it, be sure to toss out that video of the Coen Brothers' "O Brother Where Art Thou," because it's based on Homer's "The Odyssey" and features some tawdry sirens and a guy who might or might not have been turned into a horny toad. And to think those no-account moviemakers used "You Are My Sunshine" to mask those messages.

And let's just put a stop to kids having to read corrupting trash like Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" because of its spells and specters and hooved, humanlike creatures. No telling where that will lead.

And don't even think about going anywhere near any teaching of William Butler Yeats' "Leda and the Swan." It's just pure bestiality. Come to think of it, better get rid of that Disney classic, "Beauty and the Beast," because Belle falls in love with the big, hairy thing.

And while we're at it, just toss out Aesop's Fables, the tales of the Brothers Grimm and all of Walt Disney's takes on witches and poisons and dwarfs and all. What was Snow White really doing in the woods with all those little guys? Not natural, none of it.

And Dorothy Gale with all those flying monkeys and the Good Witch and the Bad Witch and the Wizard and the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion that could talk?

Forget about it. Kids'll get it into their minds that what's over the rainbow might be more interesting than what's in their own back yards and we don't want them getting those thoughts.

And to think we wouldn't have had any of these insights had it not been for numerous local church showings of the video, "Harry Potter: Witchcraft Revisited - Making Evil Look Innocent."

You know, it is a horrible thing when half of the 6- to 17-year-olds in this country actually have sat down and read at least one of the Harry Potter books. Like the video says, children are targets of witchcraft and the Potter books make it all more dangerous because they're "couched in fantasy."

Heck, you don't even have to look so far as Harry's lightning-bolt scar on his forehead to see the evil. Proof is in the title; as the video says, the word "Potter" denotes the female goddess of Babylon who created humans from clay. So from the get-go, this is bad stuff.

Not only that, there are all sorts of other subliminal messages that kids get from Wicca and witchcraft. Like the video says, "revering . . . the global environment, feminist practices and nature." Which may go a long way toward explaining why some folks don't like to use the phrase "global warming" and why some of us have gotten rid of women preachers in our churches.

And let's not ever - ever - let our kids think that their brains can open up vast worlds of thought and experience to them.

After all, as the video says, Harry Potter actually thinks that if he concentrates, and thinks hard enough, he can have what he wants to have. Meditation just leads to all sorts of nasty, selfish notions like inner wisdom, inner knowledge and self-empowerment. We don't ever want our kids to think they have the power.

And, yes, we should worry, worry, worry that amazon.com has 1,981 different titles about witchcraft at its Web site, as opposed to the 32,000 titles about Christianity. We shouldn't like those odds at all. Not at all.

Yes, we should be happy that the alarm has been sounded in our neighborhoods about the dangers and evils of Harry Potter.

Now, if only the same could be done about the blasphemy that is "Planet of the Apes."

Found at:
http://www.floridatoday.com/news/editorial/stories/2001/aug/edit080701a.htm

Kaylara

loopy
August 11th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Awesome article... I had no idea there's a there's a video like that now in circulation. Jeez.

Poor Harry. He didn't choose this life; he was born into it. Wonder if he's seen the video. :(

Mairwen
August 11th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Loopy, you kill me! 8O

Good article, Kay. Thanks for posting.:D

Earth Walker
August 11th, 2001, 08:54 PM
That was terrific. Thanx! :bigredgri

Patriarchy had a specific beginning in history.
It will also heve an end. :smash:

silvermoon
August 21st, 2001, 09:52 PM
:rolleyes:

Are these people for real ?????????:confused: :confused:

If you listen to them children would'nt read anything but the bible ? .......... But wait a minute isn't the bible full of sex and violence :eek: :eek: Is that kind of material suitable for children :confused:

OK, OK I'm being a little sarcastic...........SORRY !!!!!!!!!!

Don't these people understand that Harry Potter and others are fictional characters !!!!!!!.........AND are not real!!!!!!!!!!!

SpikesPet5150
August 22nd, 2001, 03:07 PM
While I was working at the Christmas Store (last X-mas) a woman started *screaming* at her son for wanting a Harry Potter ornament and calendar. She came up to me and asked me what I thought about Harry Potter, and his portrayal of witchcraft. Well, being as how I'm not ashamed to be Wiccan, I told her, very very nicely, what I thought. She freaked out! My boss told her to leave and everything. I think that the Harry Potter books are amazing.. not just the stories, but the author, also. She was living in extreme poverty, could barely afford to feed her kids, and them, boom.. she writes these wonderful books, and everything is good.. she also gives alot of money away to charity. I, for one, absolutely adore the books.. I think Harry is one of the best characters I've had the pleasure to read about. You really get lost in the stories. I only wish we had a place like Hogwarts... seems like fun! :) Sometimes, I call my mom a Muggle... she's read the books, but hasn't quite understood what I'm trying to tell her. psssst.. mom.. I'm a witch! hehe:)
~Bree
:elf:

Lavender
August 22nd, 2001, 04:19 PM
Yeah, there's strangness everywhere. Like Disney cartoons are real, like Star Wars is real. Sheesh! They should look at some of the commercials that are on TV. UGGHH!

An aside here...there was a woman in my yoga class that told the instructor that she's quitting yoga because she would have to become a pagan. That's what her church told her. :rolleyes:

clef0628
August 22nd, 2001, 07:05 PM
This would be my boss. He won't let his kids near Harry, or go trick or treating or anything like that. Oh, here is something else we use to joke about in college. Anybody, remenber the Smurfs? I use to love them. But, think about it 101 Smurfs, one of which is female? Plus, Papa Smurf used magic. Oh, well.

And then there is my favorite topic. If your an anime fan you meight have noticed the difference between Card Captor Sakura and Cardcaptors. WB made Cardcaptors a lot less pagan then the orginal Card Carptor Sakura.

Wolf's Rain
July 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM
:eek: You were scarin me for a sec there K, I thought you were saying all that for real your self. LOL. People like that (not u K) really rub my fur the wrong way. :fpatricks

Aine of the Fae
July 26th, 2004, 04:21 PM
My aunts and I had a wonderful, wonderful... erm... discussion last weekend about Harry Potter. My mother had asked me if I thought my son was old enough to read Harry Potter (reading ability wise) and I said, "Uhm, yeah, mom, he just finished reading the Lord of the Rings series...." (he's 6...) And my mom said she might get him the Harry Potter series for his birthday. My aunts freaked!!! "Do you know what those books teach children? Do you know what that leads to?" My mom, and my grandmother (a retired Methodist pastor by the way) just shook their heads. They knew what my aunts had gotten themselves into :devil: My family doesn't know I'm a witch, however they do know that I hold very, very unorthodox beliefs. And they also know that I'm very, very vocal about what I believe.

Let's just say I went off :D

jcldragon
July 26th, 2004, 04:22 PM
George Bush & John Ashcroft are the kind of "Christians" who believe that article is the absolute truth. They both have strong ties with the Unification Church, having spoken (& gotten paid for speaking) at their meetings many times in the last 20 years...

aluokaloo
July 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Are these people serious? You know I have a feeling were coming to seriously dangerous times. Btw I did sign a poll to get old Bushy Butt out of office. There's something seriosly wrong with that man. He's going mental!

Djiril
July 26th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Are these people serious? You know I have a feeling were coming to seriously dangerous times. Btw I did sign a poll to get old Bushy Butt out of office. There's something seriosly wrong with that man. He's going mental!
I think that article is meant to be sarcastic.

That video sounds hilarious! Does anyone know where I can get a copy secondhand?

Kadynas
July 26th, 2004, 09:48 PM
:thumbsup: Good one! It really is ridiculous how people are attacking Harry Potter when there's so many other things to jump on... It's sad that they feel the need to attack anything at all. :(

gwendar
July 27th, 2004, 11:19 PM
It sounds like something you'd find at www.landoverbaptist.org, which cracks me up!

CleftOfLight
August 1st, 2004, 06:06 AM
How can anyone be mad at Harry potter or any other fictional book?It just seems like nonsense to me.I remember when heavy metal music was pure corruption.Shakespier and all fiction is harmless.If you act like an idiot and kill someone or yourself then you were going to do it one way or another.I like the harry potter books they are funny and enterainig.

Valnorran
August 1st, 2004, 11:32 AM
Dose books is evil, I tells ya! Evil! EEEEEEEEEE - VIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exloration_La
June 18th, 2005, 02:25 PM
George Bush & John Ashcroft are the kind of "Christians" who believe that article is the absolute truth. They both have strong ties with the Unification Church, having spoken (& gotten paid for speaking) at their meetings many times in the last 20 years...

interesting religion.. they have accusations of racism and political agendas CIA etc and being a cult:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unification_Church (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unification_Church)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unification_Church (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unification_Church)
Critics of the Unification Church have accused the organization of being closely involved with covert CIA-authored operations against Communism in Korea during the 1960s. The Church is known to have been involved with weapon and munitions manufacturing in Korea since the 1960s, as documented in a 1978 United States Congressional Report on the Unification Church.

wolf
June 18th, 2005, 02:34 PM
All books are evil. There is always a danger that they might make you think.

WokeUpDead
June 18th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I knew a super Christian guy that thought Harry Potter was pure evil. He was pretty uptight about everything. We'd give him a hard time and he'd be trying to give us those little pocket bibles. Good times.

Mjollnir
June 18th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Let's just say I went off :D

Ahhh!!!! you cant just leave us hanging like that!!!! Give us the goods!!!!!