View Full Version : What is...

MistOfTheSea86
August 12th, 2001, 04:03 AM
The Worm Virus? I heard about it and stuff but I do not know what it is

Earth Walker
August 12th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by MistOfTheSea86
The Worm Virus? I heard about it and stuff but I do not know what it is

See the thread: Night Of The Living Red, in the Just Talk forum.
I bumped it up for you.

Xois
August 12th, 2001, 11:35 AM
A worm is a type of virus...like Code Red worm---

Mol will answer this better than I can...but www.2600.com might have a definition...

Myst
August 12th, 2001, 03:14 PM
From the University of Calgary AIS Course Website,

Computer Worms

Computer Worms are reproducing programs that run independantly and travel across network connections. The main difference between viruses and worms is the method in which they reproduce and spread. A virus is dependant upon a host file or boot sector, and the transfer of files between machines to spread, while a worm can run completely independently and spread of its own will through network connections. An example of a worm is the famous internet worm of 1988: Overnight the worm copied itself across the internet, infecting every Sun-3 and VAX system with so many copies of itself that the systems were unusable. Eventually several sites disconnected themselves from the internet to avoid reinfection.

Dolphin's Eye
August 12th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Another important thing to mention is that although a worm reproduce itself to a point the computer is no longer useable coz all it's reasurces are taken by the worm, it doesn't actually damage your files or your computer in any way, unlike a virus that can cause a seriose damage.