PDA

View Full Version : Do any homeschoolers have information for this?

ladyalpha
July 13th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Hello everyone. I haven't posted here in a long time. But, I am going to be enrolling my children in an on line homeschooling academy soon, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. They are called the Goddess Moon Circles Academy.
It sounds very promising to my husband and I, and we have homeschooled previously. So we are positive that homeschooling is what we want to do. Just wanted to get some feedback from anyone that may have used them before, or are currently using them.
Thank you very much for any information that you may have.
Blessings,
ladyalpha

MoonWeed
July 13th, 2004, 03:26 PM
No advice ,but would love to check that out..If you don't mind passing along the link;)
Thanks

ladyalpha
July 13th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Sorry I didn't put it in the first post. Wasn't sure if anyone would want it. :) http://www.goddessmooncirclesacademy.org/

Kelley
July 14th, 2004, 06:44 AM
I go it alone for homeschooling my kids. If you are certain you want to do this I would look into what the company offers and what you getting for your money.

Do they keep records for you?

Do they offer enough support or do you have to fork out more money on top of registration and enrollment fees?

Are books included or do you have to pay for them seperate?

What kind of curriculum do they have, is it complete or will you have to suppliment?

If you have more than one child, do they offer any kind of discounts?

Are they accredited, if you have to put your kids back in school will the class credits transfer?

These are just some things off the top of my head. If I could find a company that would give me what I want for what I can afford I would probably jump in a minute. Unfortunately most of what I found cost almost $2,000-$3,000 per child and I got three kids. I don't have that kind of money in a good year, much less a regular basis.

Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

Holly Ariadna
July 14th, 2004, 09:33 AM
That company seems interesting, but I have to say I would so not want to be homeschooled.. Personally, I think that school is a lot more than learning, it's about getting to know and working with other people (group projects and presentations teach you a lot, for example), and in American high schools there are a lot of groups and organizations (sports, charity, etc.) that give a lot if you join them. Last year I changed schools from a small French one to a quite big International one, which has a lot of organizations, and now I'm the vice president in one of those, and I can say that it's given me so much. I think you should give that a thought, too. I also have a friend whose brothers are homeschooled, and they hardly have any friends at all, so think about that too! I can't speak for everyone, but I think you miss out on a lot if you're homeschooled... *blushes* I'm sorry for coming with this, and I know you said you're positive about it, but I just think it's worth thinking about.

ladyalpha
July 14th, 2004, 09:48 AM
We have looked into this for quite some time. The price is very cheap, it is $70 per elementary student, per year. They keep records and you are able to request a report card if you want it. If your state has any questions, they will deal with them for you.
For my kindergarten aged daughter most of the material is on line, so I will go through a lot of ink and paper for her. But I was doing that anyway when I was making my own curriculum. lol I do have to purchase the reading books that she will have to have. But I am going to first see if my local library has them before going out to buy them. (I have searched on line for the reading books she would have to have and they are really cheap, so if I can't get them at the library, I won't be killing ourselves trying to get them. Which is a very important aspect to me, since we don't have money to just throw around).
For my second grader I will have to buy a math book and again reading material. And again, I will go to the library to see if they have the reading books first.
I am also lucky enough to have a parent/teacher store in my town that I am hoping I can get the math book cheap enough through. I still have to go and price it up.

As they get older more will be required to buy, I'm sure. But, I was paying $23 dollars a year to send my oldest to public school. Along with lunch money, field trip money and whatever else they came up with. And when my middle daughter started I would have to pay the same amount for her, on top of the money for my oldest. And each stage of public school here (elementary, middle and high school) requires more payment per child.
With this academy, if they go through each stage of school, the price does get higher..but not extremely high. But that is a bridge we will cross when we get there. We don't have thousands of dollars to spend either. lol

As for them being accredited. That is a very good question that I did not think of. I know that in the state that I am in, if I choose to let my children return to public school they will be tested by the school for their grade level. If they pass the test, they are allowed into the grade they belong to...if not, they must repeat their last grade level. So, I never bothered to really look into this aspect.

I homeschooled my oldest until she was old enough to go into kindergarten (both my daughters had to wait an extra year due to how their birthdays fall), then let her choose homeschool or public school. I continued to suppliment on top of what she learned in school. My middle child has been homeschooled to the same point. She is suppose to go into public school this fall to start kindergarten. However, my husband and I do not feel comfortable with the options provided to us. So they will be strictly homeschooled at this time. And I feel more comfortable with this idea than making things up as I go.

Thank you for the thoughts. I will check the site and see about the accredited aspect.
ladyalpha

13thChylde
July 14th, 2004, 09:59 AM
This is very interesting, thanks for the link. :hmmmmm:

Both of my children attend public school, and are very happy and doing well academically, but this would be a good way to supplement that, and teach them Pagan ways. It's funny, we've already read quite a few of the books on the reading list.

ladyalpha
July 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM
I have no problem with your comments Holly. :) I did send my oldest to public school for two years. And quite honestly I did not like the child that she became while she was there. Before she went (while she was being homeschooled) she was an out going positive little girl. When I sent her to public school she became shy, rude and mean. (I do not mean to say that everyone that goes to regular school becomes that way! Please do not read it that way).
She has hearing problems and because of that, speech problems. She went from an environment where she was supported by the adults and children that she knew, to an environment where she was shunned and openly told by everyone (including teachers)...we don't know what your saying. The school that she was attending also could not handle advanced children. So rather than giving her material that she would be challenged by, she was given the work and sat off on her own. Or given students to teach the material to.

As for the groups and socializing. I believe it is my responsiblity as their mother to say who and where they hang out. When my oldest was at public school, I had to constantly go down there to deal with issues of fighting. And there are a lot of ways to socialize other than at a school. My daughters will be joining Girl Scouts. They have activities at the local library. They have friends that I approve of.
As a person that went to public school all my life, I can say that public school socializing does Not teach you how to socialize in the adult world. In public school it is all about, how much money do you have..do you have the right clothes/shoes/etc...do you wear your hair right... And in public school if one kid starts teasing another, usually the majority of kids around them will start too. I personally do not want my childrens' self-esteem to be dragged through the mud just so I can say..well they are socializing, so I'm doing my job right.
My daughters are taught at home, with their friends, how to treat other people, their belongings and their feelings. My daughters have been taught since the day they were born how good they are as a person and not to let others words bother them. But, you know, that is a hard for a child to do. So I will do what I believe is my personal responsiblity to them and help them learn which people are the positive ones to hang out with, and if they make a mistake in judgement on their own (as it is up to them to become friends with someone..and they are both very good at that on their own)..I will be there for them to comfort them and help them figure out what happened. Unfortunally, a lot of parents, for whatever reason, do not bother to teach these things to their children. And it hurts everyone in the end.

I hope I have said all this right. I may have just thrown a bunch of thoughts together and confused everyone. lol

ladyalpha
July 14th, 2004, 10:17 AM
13Chylde, did you read the Bob Books? Are they real simple? My 5 year old already knows how to read, so I worry what they are going to do when she blows through them all like they are nothing. lol I don't want her to be bored, as that is part of why we aren't sending them to the local public schools. My 5 year old does stumble on some words, but they are usually hard words to read, and she knows how to sound things out.
From the comments on line about them, they sounded like they would be real easy books. So any information that you might have (if you have any at all on these books), would be greatly appreciated.
ladyalpha

Shanti
July 14th, 2004, 10:49 AM
I have been looking at the acadamy and its looks pretty good. I read the Q&A and looked at the curriculums. The main thing for me was the grade levels as my daughter is ahead in many subjects and at her age appropriate level in others so I sent an e-mail to find out how flexable the school is.

The cost for books doesnt bother me since you can find used ones online and our local public school charges and arm and leg for books anyhow plus we save for our kids homeschooling expenses. In our small town, they(the school system) depend on the parents to pay for a lot. So expense isnt an issue with us. Flexability is a issue as we let our kids move at their own pace, which happens to be ahead of their age appropriate grade level in most areas.

I think this acadamy would make a nice addition to what I already do.

I cant wait for their responce.

Shanti
July 14th, 2004, 11:00 AM
RED FLAG!!!!!!!!

I just sent 2 e-mails, one to their general info address and one to the first grade teacher and both were returned as 'no such address'.

I am disappionted.

Anyone ever make any contact with this school?

I hope it wasnt to good to be true!!!!! :(

ladyalpha
July 14th, 2004, 11:09 AM
I understand what you mean Shanti. My daughters are advanced also, because we talk to them about everything under the sun. lol I know for the older students (fouth grade, I think it starts) they have advanced science classes. But, I would be very interested to know what they say to you. If you don't mind sharing that?
I personally love how they do the math, where they can test out of a chapter instead of having to do things they already know. I think that will really help my 7 year old.
But, I figured we would add our own information to what they are being taught, if needed. Since we are the same way with our children. If they want to know about it, we find it out.

Shanti
July 14th, 2004, 11:10 AM
I just tried sending an e-mail to there address for people who are inroled and need help. That e-mail was returned too.

This does not look good...... :(:(:(

ladyalpha
July 14th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Shanti, you have to change their address when you e-mail them. You will notice that it says -at-, instead of the @ sign? This is because of problems they have had with spiders trying to grab their e-mail address and send spam to them.
I have e-mailed them twice and have gotten a reply back both times. Hope this helps.
ladyalpha

Kelley
July 14th, 2004, 11:36 AM
That company seems interesting, but I have to say I would so not want to be homeschooled.. Personally, I think that school is a lot more than learning, it's about getting to know and working with other people (group projects and presentations teach you a lot, for example), and in American high schools there are a lot of groups and organizations (sports, charity, etc.) that give a lot if you join them. Last year I changed schools from a small French one to a quite big International one, which has a lot of organizations, and now I'm the vice president in one of those, and I can say that it's given me so much. I think you should give that a thought, too. I also have a friend whose brothers are homeschooled, and they hardly have any friends at all, so think about that too! I can't speak for everyone, but I think you miss out on a lot if you're homeschooled... *blushes* I'm sorry for coming with this, and I know you said you're positive about it, but I just think it's worth thinking about.

My story for homeschooling -- if it sounds rantish -- I'm emotional about my kids. My reasons and experiences are extreme.

I personally had my children in public school for about three years and I think for my kids it was the biggest mistake of my parenting days.

My oldest, who was ahead of the other kids in his class always got targeted. In first grade a boy threatened to bring a knife to school to kill me and him little sister. He, BTW, had already been removed from his mothers custody several times for his actions and her inactions. He almost got removed over this because the principal was on the phone with DSS when his mother finally decided to get her butt out of bed and show up at the school after a week and a half. In second grade the final straw hit. One boy who the school labeled as a "troubled child" decided my son would be his project for the whole year. Pulling hair out by handfuls, stealing everything that wasn't nailed down and a few things that were, you name it he did it. Everyday I was at the school trying to figure out why in the world the teacher was not doing anything. Her excuse "He's a troubled child and his mother will not give him his medication, so there is nothing we can do". BULL S*IT! It finally ended when he stabbed my son twice in the leg with a sharpened pencil leaving a four inch X just above his knee. The teacher, principal, guidance, vice principal, they all knew what the boy did. They did NOTHING. I would have called the cops, but I live in this area and I know where this kid is coming from, involving the cops would have only made things worse.

My other son was getting over chicken pox the first year of school, child development 6 years old. I took my son to the doctor, the doctor gave me a note stating my son could be sent back to school. His teacher upon seeing him in the hall way tells him he can't be in school that he has to go home, never looked at the note. My son, listening to his teacher like he is supposed to walked away from his teacher past 7 other teachers in the hallway and off of school grounds. 7:45am, rush hour, very busy, dangerous street feet away from the interstate -- my neighbor was waiting for the bus to go to work saw my son getting ready to cross the street to come home, like his teacher told him to. 8:15am this man, who could have been anybody knocked on my door with my son. I dropped my son off at school at 7:30am. They stopped my from getting to the teacher which is probably good because I would have been in jail.

The next year was when my son got stabbed, I pulled both of my boys out that year.

The next year a group of boys ages 8 - 11 gang raped an 8 year old little girl on the school grounds, on a school bus, during school hours.

My middle son was also labeled as ADHD and I was threated with him being suspended if I didn't have him medicated. I was also informed by a high ranking official in the school that if I didn't have my son medicated that "he will be a failure and it will be all your fault".

I'm glad you like your public school experience, but personally it really does nothing for me. There are so many things in the world to experience and do, socialization does not have to take place in a school. I can take my children anywhere, anytime and they will function just fine. They never needed school guided functions to do anything. I give them all the socialization that they need with alot more safety and security than any public school ever can.

Shanti
July 14th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Shanti, you have to change their address when you e-mail them. You will notice that it says -at-, instead of the @ sign? This is because of problems they have had with spiders trying to grab their e-mail address and send spam to them.
I have e-mailed them twice and have gotten a reply back both times. Hope this helps.
ladyalpha
Thanks, I didnt see that!!!!! I sent the e-mail again and changed the -at-!!!

OriginalWacky
July 14th, 2004, 09:59 PM
I'm lucky in that the state I live in now has charter online schools, and the school district pays for it!

We are using the K12 curriculum, and it's very involved, which is good.

I'm so wiped out I can't think of what I was going to type, so I'll have to drop by in a day or two and answer more fully. I can say I've had bad experiences with public schools too.

Temair
July 16th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I was homeschooled as a kid, but I got no socialization because my Mom didn't have a car and we lived in the boonies. I hated having no friends. I started public school in 9th grade and so I not only had to deal with stupid classes that only taught stuff I had learned years earlier, but I also had to deal with culture shock. I knew nobody when I started and it went downhill from there. I would like to homeschool my kids, but I have enrolled my 5yo in public kindergarten for next year to at least introduce her to some friends. Like my mom, I have no car, but at least we live in town, within walking distance to the playground and the library both. What I did find out later was that I was welcome to join any of the extra-curricular activiites, such as sports, drama club, National Honor Society, etc. So I think that when I am ready to homeschool I will make sure that they can also participate in those things. And go to a prom, too. So you can have the best of both worlds.

ladyalpha
July 16th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Your welcome Shanti. Did they get back to you yet?
Oh and don't feel bad, I didn't realize it when I first e-mailed them either. I couldn't figure out why it looked so weird in my To: box. lol Then I went back to the site and noticed their note about it.

Shanti
July 16th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Oh yes they got back to me. In fact the person whom responded was out of her home state to be with her dieng father and apologized for making her response brief. I was floored by that. It could of waited. Anyhow they do allow for moving forward in grades in differant subjects. Your kids in second grade and takes forth grade math, thats fine. I will join them next month to start the classes when they do.

ladyalpha
July 16th, 2004, 07:28 PM
They are very nice there. Although, I agree, I think I would have waited to respond to someone if I was in that situation. But, it shows their committment to the families that are enrolling.
I'm glad to hear that they are so flexible with their subjects too. I can't wait to get signed up with them next month. I have to call and get the homeschooling forms in order on Monday and then get those books rounded up. Nothing like waiting until close to the last minute to get things done. lol