PDA

View Full Version : Book of Lies

mol
August 13th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Anyone who has read the works of Crowley will most likely know this text. I am thinking of doing a study on it here in this forum and I want to know if I will have any participants.

There will be no need to buy the text. I will post the relative content for discussion.

Let me know.

Semele
August 13th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Do I have a choice??? LOL!!!

mol
August 13th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Semele
Do I have a choice??? LOL!!!

Nope. ;)

loopy
August 13th, 2001, 04:30 PM
If we don't have to buy it, sure, definitely, go for it! :D

Silver Venus
August 14th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Im not clued up on Crowley at all (just have never got into his stuff) and have never heard of the Book of lies but Im willing to give it a shot and try something different for a change :D
Thanks mol

Xois
August 14th, 2001, 08:53 AM
that sounds excellent!

mol
August 14th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Well, then we will start a little study group and let people jump in when they want to....eh ?

Xois
August 14th, 2001, 10:28 AM
*jumps up an down*

hehehe

When I started looking for "advanced" magickal work, I realized very quickly I would be in the realm of CM and Crowley...

:D

I am ready!

Silver Venus
August 14th, 2001, 10:30 AM
I wouldnt say it was advanced though.. just different ;)

Xois
August 14th, 2001, 10:34 AM
This appears to be an online text

Mol, can you confirm

http://fraktali.849pm.com/text/archive/eso/crow/of-lies.html

Xois
August 14th, 2001, 10:34 AM
generally good website, I think, maybe

http://fraktali.849pm.com/text/archive/index3.html

Xois
August 14th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Silver

Point taken... :D

mol
August 14th, 2001, 10:40 AM
yes...I ran across that archive. I have not been able to verify it though. So, I will just use the one I have here in my e-library just to be safe.

Revelation
August 14th, 2001, 11:58 AM
ACtually Silver, yes, CM is advanced magic.

mol
August 14th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Revelation
ACtually Silver, yes, CM is advanced magic.

Advanced from the Ceremonialist POV. Ive known some old gypsy witches who think the Ceremonialists methods and returns are quite primitive.

Its all in the eye of the beholder.

But, this is not a discussion of 'Is it advanced or not'. This is a discussion of settting up a Book of Lies group.

Rick
August 14th, 2001, 06:47 PM
...I can lie with the best of them!

Let's do it...

Hope
August 14th, 2001, 09:41 PM
I would like to join in too!

blessings
hope

Swanspirit
August 14th, 2001, 10:08 PM
incredible liars......
and my administrators name in real life is Crowley..... so perhaps the universe is giving me a hint .....
Love and Light
Swannie

slvr_phoenix
August 15th, 2001, 10:41 AM
I'd like to participate mol. :)

And if I don't have to buy anything to study, all the better. :)

Granted, I have no knowledge on just what the Book of Lies is. At the same time though it sounds interesting. So studying it could be fun... so long as we're allowed to not only agree with the author's views, but also to disagree with them that is. ;)

Swanspirit
August 15th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Merry Merry,
an online version , for a quick over view, just to see what exactly it was , and I can see even from a quick perusal that it bears a much more in depth approach. I invited a few friends that are interested and one that has a great deal more experience with the "Crow" , hopefully they will participate :> as well .
Love and Lightbending
Swannie
here is an excerpt from what I read :>

THE BOOK OF LIES
WHICH IS ALSO FALSELY
CALLED

BREAKS

THE WANDERINGS OR FALSIFICATIONS
OF THE ONE THOUGHT OF

FRATER PERDURABO
(Aleister Crowley)

WHICH THOUGHT IS ITSELF
UNTRUE

A REPRINT
with an additional commentary to each chapter.

"Break, break, break
At the foot of thy stones, O Sea!
And I would that I could utter
The thoughts that arise in me
(OPPOSITE: Photo of FRATER PERDURABO on his ass.)
COMMENTARY (Title Page)

The number of the book is 333, as implying dis-
persion, so as to correspond with the title, "Breaks"
and "Lies".

mol
August 15th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Agreement...disagreement. All are welcome.

Although, it would be hard to disagree with the author. it is an interpretive work...so, its really up to you to decipher the meanings. Crowleys give little, if any, clues.

Now...for this study..I would like to focus on feeling and emotion. The Book of Lies has so many ways to interpret, one of which being the Qabalah. I want to leave that aside for this. I want to delve into 'human' meanings. What we see and dont see. The Little things that we take for granted when reading...I want to be exposed.

Ok.

So we can begin...I will post the first chapter (or rather non-chapter) starting in another thread. The way the book is laid out is fairly simple. It goes chapter by chapter, with each chapter comes a few lines of verse. EVERYTHING has meaning..

So pay attention...and discuss.

slvr_phoenix
August 15th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Okay. Cool. :) So we can disagree with what was said, and we can disagree with each other's interpretations, and still respect one another and the writings? Sounds like a fun time to me. :) I can't wait to get started. That's so much better than covens who more or less force you to agree with their interpretations on things, whether you agree with them or not. :)

mol
August 15th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by slvr_phoenix
Okay. Cool. :) So we can disagree with what was said, and we can disagree with each other's interpretations, and still respect one another and the writings? Sounds like a fun time to me. :) I can't wait to get started. That's so much better than covens who more or less force you to agree with their interpretations on things, whether you agree with them or not. :)

Absolutely. That was my main reason for doing this...out of disagreement sometimes comes enlightenment.