PDA

View Full Version : 8 month old rant

phoenix1010
July 15th, 2004, 12:15 PM
:rant:
My 8 month old son is belly scooting all over the place and getting into everything!!! :hairred:
I can't turn my back for second and he is into something he shouldn't be into!!
It's driving me crazy!!!!! I bought him a few new toys but he just goes for plastic bags, my shoes, the remote, my cell phone, the cordless phone, tissue box, the cat, the dog, etc. Wild Baby!!!! :deviltail
I know some of you will say wait till he walks but it is such a big change from when he just layed on the floor and played.
He's driving me crazy!!!
But I love him. :hugz:

I feel better now.

Shanti
July 15th, 2004, 12:17 PM
My kids drove me nuts too.
I was beginning to think the only way to keep stuff out of their reach was to stick it to the ceiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

phoenix1010
July 15th, 2004, 12:48 PM
I am literally thinking about putting everything I value up in the attic!!!!

LacyRoze
July 15th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Oh I remember those days well!! He's exploring his world around him that is now within his reach,lol. Just stop, take a deep breath and remember this too shall pass!!!:thumbsup:

Mysticism Deity
July 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM
one of my twins, Elijah, started walkign at 9 months (they are 10 1/2 months old now) and he gets into everyone and tries to run away from me! Hayden walks but would rather crawl and he is fast and they both tear this place up. its like having 2 hurricanes. I drives me crazy. I clean this place then 2 seconds later is a mess. haha.

I know how you feel and I hope it gets better for you soon. :)

I sure is a great milestone though.

morrigen
July 15th, 2004, 06:09 PM
My little guy has been walking since he turned 9 months (he's now 15 months). We've moved everything he isn't allowed to have either up out of his reach, or piled it temporarily into another room.

It looks like we let the inmates of Bedlam decorate :lol:

I imagine that as his communication skills improve we'll be able to talk to him about what he can and can't do or have. But for now, he understands the word "no" and that's helpful....

I have no advice, but I do have a bucketload of empathy :)

Apparently they grow out of it :lol:

Faeawyn
July 15th, 2004, 06:14 PM
:rotfl: I so remember those days :lol:....Try a playpen!!! Its like a wonderful little prison for your baby....but it keeps them safe and surrounded by their toys. ...and gives mommy a little break.

Faeawyn
July 15th, 2004, 06:16 PM
OHHHH!!!!!!!! And for Goddess sake!!! Watch out for dead bugs on the floor....because the baby will find them quicker than you can scoop them up....and pop it right into his little mouth. Freaked me out for days :twitch:

phoenix1010
July 15th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I know, I have to vacuum twice a day cause of the dog hair!!
Jack does not like the playpen. It was great for awhile but then he wanted to move more.
I am thinking of getting one of those play-yards. there are a few thrift shops around me I keep looking there.

Azelia
July 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Don't ya miss the days where they just lay on there backs and smile? Jared is 9 months yeatrerday and has been walking for 2 weeks now! I miss the scoots! But at least you can save some money on toys!!

phoenix1010
July 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Yes I do miss those days!!! I have been trying to baby proof for the scooting stage, then it hit me that I will have to baby proof for the walking stage soon!!!! Ugh!!! I am seriously thinking of taking all the furniture out of the living room and padding the walls!!!!
What I hate most is when he flips backwards and hits his head.

bluglass
July 20th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I know, I have to vacuum twice a day cause of the dog hair!!
Jack does not like the playpen. It was great for awhile but then he wanted to move more.
I am thinking of getting one of those play-yards. there are a few thrift shops around me I keep looking there.

We stopped letting anyone walk in the house with outdoor shoes. All shoes came off at the door. While it didn't cut down on the need for vacuuming it did cut down on the amount of grit, stray stones, pieces of glass etc that get trapped in carpet and ground onto solid surfaces. Made all our socks cleaner too!

Just remember your baby isn't doing this to be mean to you. Baby is just doing as he can. Time to childproof the house. Everything dangerous or toxic goes up, up, up -- probably for the next several years. Oh, well breakables will come down sooner but locking up toxic chemicals etc is for a long time. Rearranging your cabinets works well. Sure it is a pain to keep cleaning up but baby will often entertain him/herself in the tupperware cabinet and it can be for 10 minutes or an hour. A nice break for mom. And once you are childproofed you will have a little less stress.

We made safe zones and used gates judiciously. Baby can scoot all around an area filled with toys and can pull up on walls but there is nothing to climb on. My dd was a climber and did so before she was even crusing.

Play yards are fine for short term but they are very small and don't give the developing body much room for the hard work it takes to grow. Home is a lot easier to control. Our terrible time was visiting other people who had very interessting lamp cords and open electrical sockets, floor length draps, small nicknacks on low shelves, etc. I would warn people and ask them to put up anything they valued so there would be one less thing to worry about. We rarely took the play yard with because it is soooo heavy. I used a sling so it wasn't hard for me to spend floor time inbetween holding baby. It was after they became toddlers that was more difficult because they were exploring and we had to hold their interest.

Just keep redirecting and redirecting in a neutral voice. It seems like nothing is happening but it really is.

This too will pass.