PDA

View Full Version : Famous Pagans?

MystyPines
August 13th, 2001, 04:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of any famous or well-known Pagans, such as musicians, actors/actresses, etc.?

loopy
August 13th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Cybil Shepard is, right?

Also, I think I heard that Tori Amos is a Wiccan of the Faery tradition... I could be wrong though...

Is Stevie Nicks?

mol
August 13th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Stevie Nicks...yes.

Semele
August 13th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Lead singer for Godsmack!!!

drool!!!

Witch all the way. He even trains with Laurie Cabot!

Earth Walker
August 13th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Sarah Bernhardt.

Melissa Etheridge

Sade

Joe Pesci?

Only my Cat understands me.
There are only two times I feel stress.
Day :D and Night :D

Semele
August 13th, 2001, 06:02 PM
pppssstt Mystique...empty your pm box....

Joe Pesci...really???

Danustouch
August 13th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Linda Evans is a follower of Ramtha...that's kinda pagan..in a way.

Shirley McClaine???

Yes..Tori.
Yes...Stevie Nicks.
Yes...lead singer from Godsmack.

Faruzzah Balk is a pagan in real life. Even co-owns Pan Pipes, a famous Wiccan Store.

I heard that Cybil Shepherd is a Goddess worshiper.

I'll think up more as I ponder this.....

Earth Walker
August 13th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Semele
pppssstt Mystique...empty your pm box....

Joe Pesci...really???

Both 'in box' and 'sent items' are empty.

Joe Pesci ?? It's suspected, but no-one is sure.

Only my Cat understands me.
There are only two times I feel stress.
Day :D and Night :D

Danustouch
August 13th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Alice Walker...authress of "The color purple"

Actress..Brigitte Nielsen.

Danustouch
August 13th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Oh...and ...Virginia Woolf ..the late great. She referred to her circle of friends as "neo pagans".

Plus..rumour has it...the indigo girls. Some of their lyrics are SOOOOOO pagan after all.

Danustouch
August 13th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Madonna practice Kaballah...

Lilu
August 13th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Danustouch
Linda Evans is a follower of Ramtha...that's kinda pagan..in a way.

Shirley McClaine???

Shirley Maclaine follows more of a metaphysical/New Age path, not pagan :) But she is way cool!

Fiona Horne (DefFX) is Wiccan - has a couple of books out now too, she is really cool.

Wendy Rule (Australian singer) is also pagan.

And I don't know if this is right, but I'd heard Roseanne Barr was trying to pass herself off as a goddess worshipper???

Lilu

Wyrdsister
August 13th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Raevyn and Dria El have compiled a list of famous pagans in their MSN Community, Tintagel (http://communities.msn.com/0Tintagel0&naventryid=119). This link sends you directly to that particular page.

Joe Pesci?!? Wow, never would have guessed that one. :)

Wasn't Sammy Davis Jr. connected with Satanism at one point? (I'm not trying to argue whether Satanism is pagan or not - that's been done in another thread!! ;))

Wyrdsister

MystyPines
August 14th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I was quite surprised about Joe Pesci though, he he he!

Myst
August 14th, 2001, 12:18 PM
We're having the lead singer of Godsmack's High Priestess come to our Festival next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say the tea party are pagan (songs include Inanna, Drawing Down the Moon, Sister Awake...) oh and I was going to say Godsmack's lead singer but you knew that (one of my best friends met him awhile ago and told him about our fest weeeeeee)...

Oh and of course Fiona Horne (who you've also already mentioned), I have her book.

See what happens when I log off MW for a couple days :)

raevyncigany
August 14th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Wyrdsister
Raevyn and Dria El have compiled a list of famous pagans in their MSN Community, Tintagel (http://communities.msn.com/0Tintagel0&naventryid=119). This link sends you directly to that particular page.

A, you sweetheart...!!!! I doubt that it is a complete list by any stretch of the imagination, but yes, there's a pretty extensive one in there...come check it out! :)

BB

Rae )0(

reanna
August 15th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Well......
A friend of mine who works in a metaphysical store said that she has had Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell in her store......

Ponderous......

Illuminatus
August 15th, 2001, 11:16 AM

None of the people on that page are famous though. Except Cybil and Virginia Woolf.

raevyncigany
August 15th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Not famous to YOU, maybe?? Illuminatus, is it possible that you can post anything without some derrogatory remark???

BB

Rae )0(

Danustouch
August 15th, 2001, 11:33 AM
the devils advocate strikes again.

Earth Walker
August 15th, 2001, 11:36 AM
He's illuminated....like a burned out bulb.:D

Danustouch
August 15th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Goldie Hawn practices Yoga, and Tantric Meditation. I've never heard her specifically speak of Paganism. But I have heard her talk about these practices. Actually..i have a feeling she's more connected with New Age, or Bhuddism, than paganism. But ..I don't know for sure.

MystyPines
August 15th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Raevyn Cigany!

Thanks for the list! With the list from everyone on here and your list, I sent an email to my Pagan best friend and she loved it!

Thanks! :D

mewatea
August 17th, 2001, 01:01 AM
wow, i had no idea so many famous people practiced wicca. I knew some of them,(drooling over the lead singer of godsmack)but wow. Hey, speaking of festivals do any of you know when there will be one in Colorado? or if there are any? I just moved here and would like to get in touch.

*sarah

_________
"Do you believe in the power of the Magic Cheese"

Wyrdsister
August 17th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Willow Raven
We're having the lead singer of Godsmack's High Priestess come to our Festival next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT?!?!?! Neat-o!! Now, you have to tell me what Fest it is!!! :)

I'd say the tea party are pagan (songs include Inanna, Drawing Down the Moon, Sister Awake...)

Oooh, I'd agree! A friend of mine interviewed them a few years ago before one of their concerts and lead singer Jeff Martin seemed very intrigued with how much she new about wicca/paganism. She asked them questions about the lyrics of their songs (namely the ones you mentioned above plus others), connecting their themes to "earth based spirituality." I don't think they were expecting someone who'd done their homework! (and was actually Wiccan as well... ;))

Wyrdsister

Wyrdsister
August 17th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Illuminatus
None of the people on that page are famous though. Except Cybil and Virginia Woolf. Hmm. Doesn't that statement prove you really don't get out much. Read much? ;) :D

Wyrdsister

MystyPines
September 22nd, 2001, 09:30 AM
*Bump* for Paranoid Punk! :p

Autumn Gemini
September 22nd, 2001, 11:43 AM
Theres a country comedy singer who is pagan.....Ack! I can't remember his name! He openly wears a big pentecle...even to award shows........spoofed the Deanna Carter song "Did I Shave My Legs For This".......Cletus T Judd......thats the guy! And for any of ya'll that read romance novels, Maggie Shayne is also pagan! She currently has several books in a series about witches. I wrote to her about a year ago and openly asked her if she was pagan and she was kind enough to reply and tell me she was glad that the pagan community was finding her books. She has a good website: www.maggieshayne.com

raevyncigany
September 22nd, 2001, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Mystique

*HUGZ* Thanks, girl....glad to know I've got so many in MY corner for a change ;)

BB

Rae )0(

Armitage
September 22nd, 2001, 03:18 PM
I'm still boggling at the idea of Joe Pesci....Definitely not someone I'd want to see skyclad....:sick:

Isis
September 23rd, 2001, 03:20 AM
ROFLMMFAO@Armitage!

Well its nice to know so many people are with us.....it makes it easier, I"m tired of not knowing what to say and not dealing with who I am, and staying in the partial broom closet is literally driving me insane.

Isis

kittiepoetrygod
September 23rd, 2001, 10:50 AM
I have a strong fealing Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is ... read Shattered Mirror by her and you probably will, too.

Armitage
September 30th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Dragging up an old post because....
I was watching a Limp Bizkit video yesterday for lack of anyhting better to do, and saw a tattoo on Fred Durst's hand that looks suspiciously like the triple-moon-phase Goddess symbol.

MistOfTheSea86
September 30th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Mentioned the great Marion Zimmer Bradley:D

Danustouch
February 18th, 2002, 03:37 PM
BUMP********

manstranger
February 18th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Tamora Pierce is. I asked her at her site and she confirmed. I doubt most of you know who she is, unless you're into young adult fantasy. Shes pretty good, tho.

Angelwulfe
February 20th, 2002, 04:39 PM
folk muscian dar williams. she isn't very well known or signed to a major record label but she's good.

Lavender
February 20th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by manstranger
Tamora Pierce is. I asked her at her site and she confirmed. I doubt most of you know who she is, unless you're into young adult fantasy. Shes pretty good, tho.

She's a writer of youth fantasy/fiction. Good books! :D

The Suckling
February 20th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Let's not forget Björk, people. :)

Raindancer
February 23rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Raevyn and Dria El have compiled a list of famous pagans in their MSN Community, Tintagel. This link sends you directly to that particular page.
I would like to see this list, but when I tried to connect to it from the link provided, all I got was an empty page. Can anyone help or maybe explain why I didn't get through to it? If worse comes to worse, would it be a hassle for somebody to cut and paste it and send it along?

I don't know if she counts, but Sybil Leek who was one of the earliest witches to go public was a celebrity of sorts during her life. I heard a sound clip of Cybill Shepherd (sp?) accepting an award for "Cybill" and she thanked the Goddess for it. There are a few clues in the show too. One episode was called "Maiden, Mother, Crone".
Raindancer

Cosmo
February 23rd, 2002, 08:27 PM

She's a writer of a quartet series (which I own^_^) and she also made a sequel to that series I believe. SHE'S A PAGAN! YAY!

manstranger
February 23rd, 2002, 09:20 PM
Yep. That one is prolly the Circle of Magic series/Emelen. The american names for it suck. The British ones are better. Its Tris's Book vs. The Power in the Storm. No contest. The sequal quartet is the Circle Opens. The third book in the Circle opens is coming out in March, followed quickly by the first audio book for the Circle of Magic in June (which she narrarates) and that is followed by Lady Knight, the fourth book in the Protector of the Small series. Hehe. I love her books. They are really good, as Wildchild said.

Semele
October 24th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Bump

Mythrel
October 24th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Mystique

no, no, no...he's not illuminated...he's illuminati...

;)

Trinity Faith
October 24th, 2002, 03:48 PM
I read an article a few years back with Olympia Dukakis, stating she too was Pagan.
And from many of Nora Roberts books, I would bet she's a witch herself. :)

Wyrdsister
October 24th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by GoddessDaughter
And from many of Nora Roberts books, I would bet she's a witch herself. :) Really? A friend of mine has scads of her books - maybe I should ask to borrow a few? :)

Wyrdsister

PS Digging up one of the old ones, eh Semele? ;)

Gwion
October 24th, 2002, 04:33 PM
author and widow of Jim Morrison.

Sequoia
October 24th, 2002, 05:39 PM

I love her! *grins* I have only read the series about Alanna, though. . . havn't really gotten a chance to get into her other books yet. But I loved that set. :D

WandererInGray
October 24th, 2002, 05:48 PM
I don't believe that Nora Roberts is.....*smiles*.....just more of a "pagan sympathizer" ;)

She has to have really good connections or a least a friend who's pagan with the details she puts in her books. But then, Roberts has always been one of the better Research writers of her genre.

earthcat
October 24th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Storm Constantine--- British author who's fans are quickly growing in the U.S.
Once again I highly recommend her Wraeththu series for starters.

Garnet
October 24th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Loreena McKennit is supposed to be because so much of her music has Pagan themes or is about Pagan holidays. She refuses to say.

Danustouch
October 25th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Diane Paxson (Scifi Author)

Sequoia
October 25th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Garnet
Loreena McKennit is supposed to be because so much of her music has Pagan themes or is about Pagan holidays. She refuses to say.

:o she's in denial ;)

flar7
October 25th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Troy McClure, you may remember him from such pagan festivals
as, "Samwho?" and, "Oh My God, thats my goat!"

Flar's Freyja
October 25th, 2002, 01:14 PM
I don't know who he is, but that's cute!

Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, Louise L. Hay and Christiane Northrup, MD all maintain and present very pagan beliefs but don't realize it.

Gwion
October 25th, 2002, 01:20 PM
met him at my first circle

darkphaerie
October 25th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by loopy

Is Stevie Nicks?

there have been alot of rumors for many years about stevie nicks being a witch, but she's apparently denied them.

Danustouch
October 25th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Ed Fitch

LOL. He was my friends Landlord!

Flar's Freyja
October 25th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Danustouch
Diane Paxson (Scifi Author)

Ms. Paxon has also authored many good pieces on Norse and Asatru isses.

Cinnamon Girl
October 25th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by flar7
as, "Samwho?" and, "Oh My God, thats my goat!" :rotfl:

Mithrea
October 26th, 2002, 10:58 PM

R.I.P. He is missed.

raevyncigany
October 27th, 2002, 03:56 PM

Joe Pesci?!? Wow, never would have guessed that one. :)

Wasn't Sammy Davis Jr. connected with Satanism at one point? (I'm not trying to argue whether Satanism is pagan or not - that's been done in another thread!! ;))

Wyrdsister

Whoops! That link no longer works!! Here's the new one:

Famous Pagans (http://groups.msn.com/0Tintagel0/famouspagans.msnw)

B*B

Rae )O(

Mythrel
October 27th, 2002, 04:17 PM

:rotfl: :T :rotfl: :T :rotfl:

Skye
June 13th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Ok, the last reply to this post was last year....
any new info, just curious:bad:

Tammy Sullivan
June 14th, 2003, 02:59 PM
I have always wondered about Darrell Hall from the 80s band Hall and Oates....does anyone know?

AmbivalentMirage
June 14th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Where are all the famous Jewitches? *sniffle*

Oh well... I'll just pretend that Jerry Seinfeld is pagan... him and Aryan Kaplan. *nods*

She-Arna
June 17th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Mentioned the great Marion Zimmer Bradley:D

Of course, Marion Zimmer Bradley was Christian. Apparently she felt alot of guilt writing about Pagan women who seemed so anti-Christian.

AmbivalentMirage
June 18th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Of course, Marion Zimmer Bradley was Christian. Apparently she felt alot of guilt writing about Pagan women who seemed so anti-Christian.
Who says guilt can't be useful?!

Xander67
June 18th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Madonna practice Kaballah...

yes She attended Rabbi Fund's class, he is great I go to his classes when i can, he teaches in the village in NYC on monday evenings

Seabreeze0197
August 5th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Dragging up an old post because....
I was watching a Limp Bizkit video yesterday for lack of anyhting better to do, and saw a tattoo on Fred Durst's hand that looks suspiciously like the triple-moon-phase Goddess symbol.

I read an article in Rolling Stone that he did an interview for and he is in fact Wiccan. Born and raised....

Ben Trismegistus
August 5th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Actress Olympia Dukakis has just released her memoirs, entitled Ask Me Again Tomorrow (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060188219/qid=1060095976/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-1385961-4737427). I only leafed through it in the book store, but I found a section in which she describes her friendship with noted pagan author Marija Gimbutas (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Gimbutas%2C%20Marija/103-1385961-4737427), who helped her find her way to paganism.

Danustouch
August 5th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Wow! I'm soooooooo going to have to pick this up!

CloakofStars9
August 5th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Virginia Woolf (http://www.aianet.or.jp/~orlando/VWW/) (1920s lesbian/author, especially of A Room of One's Own, To The Lighthouse, and Orlando) Described herself and her circle
of friends as "neo-pagans"

Alice Walker (http://www.luminarium.org/contemporary/alicew/) (bisexual poet and author, most famously of The ColorPurple) Says she is!

Alix Dobkin (lesbian folksinger/musician) Writes very Goddess-centered songs

Cybill Shepard (sitcom and movie actress)
Came out at the Golden Globe awards in 1995. First she "thanked God". Then she kind of stopped a minute - you could see she was making up her mind. She took a deep breath and said "And I want to thank the Great Mother Goddess for the gift of righteous anger and for all Her strength and inspiration. Blessed Be!" Later when she was interviewed she was asked what she was going to do after she got home, and she said "have a drink, get laid and cast a spell or two".

Adam Of Avalon
August 7th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Cybill Shepard (sitcom and movie actress)
Came out at the Golden Globe awards in 1995. First she "thanked God". Then she kind of stopped a minute - you could see she was making up her mind. She took a deep breath and said "And I want to thank the Great Mother Goddess for the gift of righteous anger and for all Her strength and inspiration. Blessed Be!" Later when she was interviewed she was asked what she was going to do after she got home, and she said "have a drink, get laid and cast a spell or two".

Ugh! Love it!

serenarian
October 24th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Wow on reading this thread I've been so surprised by how many there are and who they were - I mean, I would never have thought Fred Durst was Wiccan, or Cybil Shepard for that matter. :D I knew about some of them...

On the Stevie Nicks issue - I always got the feeling that she isn't the only Pagan in that band. I have a strong feeling Lindsay Buckingham is too, and on the cover of the newest Fleetwood Mac CD if you look closely you can see a small pentagram on John McVie's hand. So I don't know, I'm just speculating. :D

Gala
October 24th, 2003, 03:45 PM
And I don't know if this is right, but I'd heard Roseanne Barr was trying to pass herself off as a goddess worshipper???

Lilu

Roseanne.... Kabalah follower, but she is mainly Jewish Kabalah. I used to go to her web site, she goes to the forum and talkes to the people there.
I am not at all sure about her sincerity... But that is just MHO...So don't anybody get mad... Just that a lot of inconsistencies with some of the things she says.

I heard that Larry Bird, the basketball player was Wiccan. Also there used to be a band called Sisters of Mercy I think they are/were.

PEBBLES
October 25th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Cree Summers- There are many quotes of her talking about the Goddess, She has a song called Miss Moon

Lisa Bonet- She changed her name to Lilakoi Moon and is best friends with Cree, so I assume

Erykah Badu- Said she was taught to always stay close with earth, has a song called "Earth song". I have book that might be consdiered pagan by some and she is quoted as one of the people that lives by the principles of the book.

Sylvan
October 25th, 2003, 08:02 AM
MZB wasn't, but I think Mercedes Lackey is some kinda pagan. She writes fiction/fantasy, and her "Valdemar" series is awesome!

Isn't Anjelica Huston? And I think Julianna Margulies has some kind of leanings, as she played Morgaine in "Mists"....

And I would be very surprised if Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull) wasn't. Check out the lyrics to "Cup of Wonder" "Jack in the Green" and "Solstice Bells"...

Kadynas
October 25th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Does anyone have any source where Stevie Nicks actually said she was Pagan? I always thought she might be too, because of some of her lyrics, especially in the solo stuff she wrote herself, but all the fan club websites and even the Wicca Almanac by Llewllyn said that she denies it... even though her songs are written under "welsh witch music" and all her bandmates in Fleetwood Mac used to call her the "gypsy girl" or "witchy one". And then she did three songs fro the soundtrack of Practical Magic (one with Sheryl Crow too btw). :lol: I think it would be really cool if she was, because she's my all-time favorite singer, but does anyone know this for sure?

WtchyChick13
October 25th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Cree Summers- There are many quotes of her talking about the Goddess, She has a song called Miss Moon

Lisa Bonet- She changed her name to Lilakoi Moon and is best friends with Cree, so I assume

Erykah Badu- Said she was taught to always stay close with earth, has a song called "Earth song". I have book that might be consdiered pagan by some and she is quoted as one of the people that lives by the principles of the book.

Cree Summer is of Native American decent and Lisa Bonet later joined (although I'm unclear whether or not she is initiated) that tribe as well. While Native American trads aren't necessarily Pagan, we all know that we are very close to each other. :)

Erykah Badu does not follow a specific tradition. She tries to keep to her African roots which is very earth bound and also draws from many teachings to guide her. There is a wonderful article: http://www.empirezine.com/spotlight/badu/badu1.htm Here, she describes a bit of her belief system.

Cev'aq
October 25th, 2003, 08:44 PM
About Nora Roberts... Has anyone read Ceremony in Death that she wrote under the pen name J.D. Robb? It has Wiccan characters, but a lot of the details seem way off. *shrugs*

Also, about Fred Durst, I saw the recent Album Launch on MTV, and he smudged the recording studio, and later told the cameraman about the "most important thing" he takes on his tours... a Bible.

jenn
October 25th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Maynard

Kadynas
October 27th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Nora Roberts recently wrote a trilogy about 3 sisters who are reincarnations of three witches... set on an island called Three Sisters island and one of the characters draws down the moon! (I can't remember the names of all three books right now... I know one is Dance Upon The Air, and the other two have Fire and Earth in the titles...) Although it's about as realistic view of witchcraft as, say Practical Magic, it is a good story and the characters are interesting. I'd say if the author isn't a witch, then at least she's certainly interested in the subject... :)

Ceryni
October 27th, 2003, 01:47 AM
folk muscian dar williams. she isn't very well known or signed to a major record label but she's good.

I *Love* dar williams

Anyone who hasn't heard of her, she has a song called "the christians and the pagans" that is a must have :)

-Raina

Cerulean
October 28th, 2003, 03:55 AM
I've read Roseanne's books and followed her career. She is connected to the Goddess and is or might as well be pagan or wiccan. She does Jewish stuff too, but I am a Jewish/Pagan.

Illuminatus
November 6th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Auuughh!! My Karma!!! My average, average karma, untimely ripped from my profile in this most heinous manner!!!!!! How can I find the strength to go on?.......

<sob>

Anyway, the criteria for "Famous" we used when playing the Name Game in college was a single witness. So, if you could get one person at the table to say that they heard of Maya Anjelou or whoever, and they could demonstrate WHY they were famous (ie, "I think she is a poet or something") then the answer must be accepted by the group and somebody has to drink!

Calzaer
November 6th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Famous Pagans?

Um..... ARISTOTLE, maybe? He's kinda famous, I think...

ajna
November 6th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Um..... ARISTOTLE, maybe? He's kinda famous, I think...
I'm not sure any of the Greeks are allowed...
They're all pagan, but then again there was no Christianity back then. They were pagan because it was their nation's religion.

moonchild
November 12th, 2003, 10:34 PM
i just saw on MTV cribs that Rachel Hunter has an alter with very pagan-isk objects, she states that she was brought up on many religions, but flashes a book that i've seen in the metaphysical stores everywhere!

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
November 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM
The comment about Cledus T. Judd, I'm not sure that he's a pagan myself. I just watched a show on CMT that he was on, like every other minute, and there was no pentacle. And if you go to his website and look at his gallery, he's wearing a cross. And I'm not sure I would make the leap the Jullianna Margulies is pagan or even has pagan leanings/sympathies just because she played Morgan in "Mists of Avalon." That would be like saying Sir Anthony Hopkins is a psychotic murderer just because he played one in "Silence of the Lambs."

I can't really think of anyone else to add to the list myself, and frankly most of those listed don't really surprise me at all.

~Saoirse Aiyana

FlyingBear
November 13th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Anyone know if any of the members of the band XTC are pagan? Their last album, Apple Venus Volume 1, is loaded with pagan songs including " The Green Man" which is soooooo wonderful! Gives me teary eyed chills ever time I hear it.

Any thoughts?

:floating:

~FB

LadyWillow
November 14th, 2003, 04:04 AM
I have no idea, these ppl that are famous and pagan surprise, I never knew...

SnowyMoon
November 14th, 2003, 06:21 AM
I really suspect Goldie. I have seen her on Oprah talking about how we are all energy and sharing this little ritual she does in the morning to expel negative energy and draw in positive energy. Love that gal. ;).

SnowyMoon
November 14th, 2003, 06:25 AM
I put a bet on Sting too. I saw him on Oprah talking about Tantric sex and how he can stare at a fire for hours. He is a darn poet, that man. :)

SilverPheonix
December 8th, 2003, 02:34 PM
She's a writer of a quartet series (which I own^_^) and she also made a sequel to that series I believe. SHE'S A PAGAN! YAY!

Are you talking about the Lioness Rampant series? That was what got me here- strong female striving to prove she's as good as any man, and the strong Goddess role in her life. totally awesome!

SilverPheonix
December 8th, 2003, 02:39 PM

She's Christian!? *shock and suprise* I am not upset, just suprised (wow... I sound like the 'rents)

Xeen
December 8th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Cybil Shepard is, right?

Also, I think I heard that Tori Amos is a Wiccan of the Faery tradition... I could be wrong though...

Is Stevie Nicks?

I'm a drooling lover of Tori and I've never heard her actually say that she is pagan, but I sure would not be suprised if she said she was.

Oh, she loves faries, but she absolutly hates being called a fairy and such *snickers*

DebLipp
December 8th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Oh...and ...Virginia Woolf ..the late great. She referred to her circle of friends as "neo pagans".

Plus..rumour has it...the indigo girls. Some of their lyrics are SOOOOOO pagan after all.
Indigo Girls deny it. Some of their lyrics are also Christian.

Dar Williams also denies it, but clearly she has Pagan friends!

Rumor has it that Patrick Stewart is a traditionalist Wiccan, but I haven't been able to confirm this.

DebLipp
December 8th, 2003, 06:45 PM
yes She attended Rabbi Fund's class, he is great I go to his classes when i can, he teaches in the village in NYC on monday evenings
Yes, and note the "Rabbi" in the name. Kabbalah is Jewish in origin. Some people who practice Kabbalah are Jewish, some are Ceremonial magicians, and some are Pagan. Madonna appears to keep her practice within Jewish parameters (although she's not Jewish).

morrigen
December 8th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Ooh, Patrick Stewart :heartthro ...that man has the most beautiful voice....tho' he is a trained shakespearean actor as well as being in movies.

Seabreeze0197
December 8th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know anyting about Evanescense? They're lyrics have me wondering. They are by far my favorite band right now. My Immortal really left me wondering...

Xeen
December 8th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know anyting about Evanescense? They're lyrics have me wondering. They are by far my favorite band right now. My Immortal really left me wondering...

I remember reading up on them several months back. From what I remember, the singer chick was a singer in a church...

To me, the lyrics seem really Christiany. Like worship rock stuff. So that's probably why.

badkitty
December 8th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Anne Rice??

Elfstone
December 8th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Wow, very cool and interesting thread. :)

It is also said that actor Viggo Mortensen is a heathen.

Pic of Viggo wearing Mjollnir (Thor's Hammer):
http://www.viggomortensen.us/images/viggo/viggo37.jpg

Pic of Viggo wearing a Sunwheel:
http://www.viggomortensen.us/images/viggo/viggo154.jpg

Gala
December 8th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Boy I hope Vigo is pagan... **pant**

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
December 8th, 2003, 09:16 PM

Evanescense is definitely Christian Rock. In fact from what I understand before they hit it big you could find their music in the Christian Music section, but after they became really popular they requested that their music be removed from that particular section.

~Saoirse Aiyana

Seabreeze0197
December 8th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Evanescense is definitely Christian Rock. In fact from what I understand before they hit it big you could find their music in the Christian Music section, but after they became really popular they requested that their music be removed from that particular section.

~Saoirse Aiyana
Wow, didn't see that one coming!:hairraise I guess it really goes to show that you hear what you want to hear.... I would NOT have guess them as Christian rock. I'm going to have to go and really read the lyrics now...

Sagittarius
December 9th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Stevie Nicks is NOT Pagan/Wiccan whatever. She was interviewed recently and quashed rumours once and for all about her being a Witch. Though whether she is saying that to boost record sales we are not to know, I however choose to believe her .. if she says she isn't then she isn't.

Olympia Dukakis is said to be very much into the Goddess aspect and has lent her vocal talents to a tape pertaining to that very topic.

Kate Bush isn't, she's a practising Catholic.

I haven't heard of Joe Pesci either but Sandra Bullock was supposed to be Wiccan, having had her interest peeked after starring in Practical Magic though can't say how true that is.

Don't know of any others offhand though, sorry!

Sagittarius
December 9th, 2003, 02:00 PM
I tried to edit my last post but it kept saying Page Not Found so I will post the link here:-

http://www.nicksfix.com/notwitch.htm

"Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks says the old rumor that she's a witch still isn't true.

"I can't believe people are still telling me I'm a witch because I wear black," Nicks said Thursday."

Ben Trismegistus
December 9th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Indigo Girls deny it. Some of their lyrics are also Christian.
Yeah, they're both Christians. I can't think of any of their lyrics that sound especially pagan.

Rumor has it that Patrick Stewart is a traditionalist Wiccan, but I haven't been able to confirm this.
I would find that very hard to believe. It's probably a pipe dream based on the fact that he was in Excalibur. ;)

In interviews, they've been quoted as saying that they think of themselves as Christians who play rock music, rather than a Christian Rock band. Given that the guitarist appears in the "Going Under" video wearing a clerical collar, they can't take their Christianity THAT seriously. (Unless he's a priest - who knows?)

Stevie Nicks is NOT Pagan/Wiccan whatever. She was interviewed recently and quashed rumours once and for all about her being a Witch. Though whether she is saying that to boost record sales we are not to know, I however choose to believe her .. if she says she isn't then she isn't.
Now that comes as a genuine surprise. Her new album (Lost in Shangri-La) is full of pagan-sounding songs ("Sorcerer" comes to mind), although maybe it's just meant to sound new-agey.

Olympia Dukakis is said to be very much into the Goddess aspect and has lent her vocal talents to a tape pertaining to that very topic.
In her new autobiography, she talks at length about her Goddess worship, which she was introduced to by her friend Marija Gimbutas.

DebLipp
December 9th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Yeah, they're both Christians. I can't think of any of their lyrics that sound especially pagan.Nope, in interviews they say they're not of any particular religion, but are fascinated by other people's religion and so write about it.

I would find that very hard to believe. It's probably a pipe dream based on the fact that he was in Excalibur. ;)Rumor has it that he had a revealing conversation with J&S Farrar when they were speaking in L.A. When I see Janet I'll ask her myself; until I get it from the horse's mouth it's just a rumor.

Now that comes as a genuine surprise. Her new album (Lost in Shangri-La) is full of pagan-sounding songs ("Sorcerer" comes to mind), although maybe it's just meant to sound new-agey.You know how people get sick of "Charmed" and "The Craft" witches nowadays, who complain about people who can't tell the difference between Wicca and a neo-Goth fashion statement? Well, in the 80s, we were sick of all the Stevie Nicks witches, who thought wearing black gauze and calling themselves "Rhiannon" constituted practicing the Craft. (Which is one reason I don't mind the neo-Charmed witches; this too shall pass.) So when it comes out that for Nicks herself, it's just a fashion statement, I am not in the least surprised. :rolleyes:

Ben Trismegistus
December 9th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Nope, in interviews they say they're not of any particular religion, but are fascinated by other people's religion and so write about it.
Ah. My bad. I remember that they were still identifying as Christians when the "Indigo Girls" album came out in the late 80s, which included Christian sentiments in songs like "Secure Yourself" and "Prince of Darkness". I remember it in particular because the local Catholic youth group played their music all of the time, while staying blissfully ignorant of the fact that they were (reputed) lesbians.

Rumor has it that he had a revealing conversation with J&S Farrar when they were speaking in L.A. When I see Janet I'll ask her myself; until I get it from the horse's mouth it's just a rumor.
Well, it would be incredibly cool. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoyed him in Star Trek, every time I've seen him in interviews, he seems to be a tremendous jerk.

You know how people get sick of "Charmed" and "The Craft" witches nowadays, who complain about people who can't tell the difference between Wicca and a neo-Goth fashion statement? Well, in the 80s, we were sick of all the Stevie Nicks witches, who thought wearing black gauze and calling themselves "Rhiannon" constituted practicing the Craft. (Which is one reason I don't mind the neo-Charmed witches; this too shall pass.) So when it comes out that for Nicks herself, it's just a fashion statement, I am not in the least surprised. :rolleyes:
Understood. I certainly recognize that Nicks spawned an entire generation of "Gypsy"-witches. I suppose that what I perceived as pagan sensibilities in her lyrics was just window dressing.

DebLipp
December 9th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Ah. My bad. I remember that they were still identifying as Christians when the "Indigo Girls" album came out in the late 80s, which included Christian sentiments in songs like "Secure Yourself" and "Prince of Darkness". I remember it in particular because the local Catholic youth group played their music all of the time, while staying blissfully ignorant of the fact that they were (reputed) lesbians.There's an interview somewhere...maybe their website, probably a fansite. They specifically say they have never been anything, and they do reference Prince of Darkness -- still one of their best songs. Also, they aren't reputed lesbians, but out of the closet in the living room with their feet on the coffee table lesbians. :colorful: I believe they've been so for a very long time (out I mean), but on "Shaming of the Sun" they do have a lyric "Hate me 'cause I'm different/Hate me 'cause I'm gay."

every time I've seen him in interviews, he seems to be a tremendous jerk.You're talking about the love of my life! :flamer: ;)

I did read an interview with him once that I found incredibly wise and moving. I've also seen him on B'way twice, and one time he came out to speak to the audience and was charming.

Ben Trismegistus
December 9th, 2003, 05:08 PM
There's an interview somewhere...maybe their website, probably a fansite. They specifically say they have never been anything, and they do reference Prince of Darkness -- still one of their best songs. Also, they aren't reputed lesbians, but out of the closet in the living room with their feet on the coffee table lesbians. :colorful: I believe they've been so for a very long time (out I mean), but on "Shaming of the Sun" they do have a lyric "Hate me 'cause I'm different/Hate me 'cause I'm gay."Oh no, don't misunderstand me. I put "reputed" in parentheses because in 1989 when "Indigo Girls" was released, they were still closeted (at least to the public). My understanding is that they didn't come out officially until just before "Shaming of the Sun", which also includes Amy's great line, "Beautiful women walk right by/You know I never know what to say..."

I'm a huge IG fan. (Being the son of lesbian, there was no way to avoid that.) I've seen them in concert like 6 times now. Plus, most of their songs are easy enough for me to play on the guitar, so family gatherings always include my sister and I singing "Least Complicated" or "Ghost".

You're talking about the love of my life! :flamer: ;)

I did read an interview with him once that I found incredibly wise and moving. I've also seen him on B'way twice, and one time he came out to speak to the audience and was charming. Well that's good. I've read several interviews where he's completely disparaging of his work on Star Trek. I can understand him being tired of being pigeonholed, but come on - it's the role that made him famous.

I'm still fond of him, however.

mol
December 9th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Boy I hope Vigo is pagan... **pant**
Calm yourself! *pours water*

Gala
December 10th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Calm yourself! *pours water*

Thanks I needed that :collapse: I was overdone.

mothwench
December 10th, 2003, 09:26 AM
I tried to edit my last post but it kept saying Page Not Found so I will post the link here:-

http://www.nicksfix.com/notwitch.htm

"Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks says the old rumor that she's a witch still isn't true.

"I can't believe people are still telling me I'm a witch because I wear black," Nicks said Thursday."
she says in the article she is not a witch nor a satan-worshipper. so does that now make her not pagan?

edited to add: bjork has a runic vegvisir tattooe. does that make her pagan? somehow she does not strike me as the type to do it just for fashion reasons.

:bigredblu who is this vigo bloke? he looks like an abba-remnant.

DebLipp
December 10th, 2003, 11:37 AM
:bigredblu who is this vigo bloke? he looks like an abba-remnant.
Oh, goodness, you are going to shock many people by not knowing. :D

Viggo Mortenson plays Aragorn/Strider in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Other roles you may have seen him in include A Perfect Murder, in which he was Gwyneth Paltrow's adulterous lover, and A Walk on the Moon, in which he was Diane Lane's adulterous lover. Gee, I'm sensing a pattern. :) ;)

Elfstone
December 10th, 2003, 06:51 PM
who is this vigo bloke? he looks like an abba-remnant.

LOL! :lol: That's was funny :lol:

Obviously, Viggo Mortensen is well known because of his role as Aragorn in the Lord Of The Rings, but he's also been in The Indian Runner, GI Jane and Carlito's Way and will be starring in the upcoming movie Hidalgo.

No Abba ties, although he was once married to Christine "Exene" Cervenka from the punk band "X" so I don't know if the music of Abba is his cup of tea, even though he is half Scandinavian (from Denmark). :hehehehe:

He's American born, but was raised in Argentina, Venezuela and Denmark, so he speaks fluent Spanish and Danish and is quite an eloquent and artistic individual. You can check out some of his art work and poems here: http://specialrealms.com/VM/painting.html

mothwench
December 10th, 2003, 07:21 PM
:jawdrop: :hairraise :jawdrop: :hairraise :jawdrop: :hairraise :jawdrop: :hairraise :jawdrop: :hairraise :jawdrop: :hairraise :jawdrop: :hairraise :jawdrop: :hairraise

that's aragorn???? okay i see it now... my bad :rolleyes: and i will join in in your drooling... saw a nice pic of glenn danzig today... can't decide which one i like best.
oh, i think i'll stick with silent bob

SylverStar
December 10th, 2003, 07:50 PM
:lol: and Seabreeze Evanessece song My Tourniquet is one where I can really see the Christian Soul in it.

luna rising
December 10th, 2003, 10:18 PM
I can't believe there has only been one very subtle mention of the band TOOL. There lyrics, art, and even chord progreesions and time signatures are rife with ceremonial magick references. It started out kind of subtle, almost more of a Christian bashing thing at first, but has really developed over their albums. Check out the art on their Salival box set, and see what I mean. Although, if anyone can tell me why the Tree of Life art on the back is packaged upside down (in correspondence to the male figure), I would be grateful.

Gala
December 11th, 2003, 10:12 AM
RE Moth:
that's aragorn???? okay i see it now... my bad :rolleyes: and i will join in in your drooling... saw a nice pic of glenn danzig today... can't decide which one i like best.
oh, i think i'll stick with silent bob

I too like Silent Bob. We were supposed to see Kevin Smith at a sci fi convention once but he wrecked his bike on the wat to it.

re.: Vigo.
He also played Satan in The Prophecy. the first one.

Which I may have to buy....

re: Patrick Stewart
I don't think he is a jerk, I think it is just his sense of humor. I saw him once on Jay Leno or David Letterman once with his son. Who is as bald as him by the way. And they were very funny. He was in I Claudius, Deb, have you ever seen that PBS series?

But Ben you have a right to your opnion, misguided as it is, you have it if you want it. :lol:

The Stevie Nicks thing surprises me. But I did see years ago where she denyed it. Though I don't remember where.

Ben Trismegistus
December 11th, 2003, 05:31 PM
edited to add: bjork has a runic vegvisir tattooe. does that make her pagan? somehow she does not strike me as the type to do it just for fashion reasons.
No, it just makes her Icelandic.

Sagittarius
December 11th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Mothwench, nope it does not mean she is not Pagan. I didn't think out my comment properly before I posted it. To be honest, if I were asked if I were a Witch even if I was one I would probably steer the conversation away. I spoke to someone recently who admitted to having more than a passing interest in Paganism and she was saying how she has lost business (she is a lawyer) as well as receiving a Gideon bible every week since then, with the word Repent inside the front cover!!!!!!!

mothwench
December 11th, 2003, 06:17 PM
No, it just makes her Icelandic.
an icelandic fashion victim? the vegvisir is not a christian symbol, nor is it muslim or judaic. am i wrong? for me this makes it a pagan symbol, because it's not the icelandic stop sign, either. yesno? :spaceman:

gala: i'd just about die to get to one of those conventions. and then if kevin smith dint show up, i'd die all over again! how did you survive? ;)

(disclaimer: kevin smith is not pagan. :graduate: )

Ben Trismegistus
December 11th, 2003, 06:24 PM
an icelandic fashion victim? the vegvisir is not a christian symbol, nor is it muslim or judaic. am i wrong? for me this makes it a pagan symbol, because it's not the icelandic stop sign, either. yesno? :spaceman:
Well, it's Norse. It might very well be a pagan symbol, but I think she's got the tattoo because it's her cultural heritage. Someone with an Irish background can get a tattoo of a Celtic knot without worshipping Brigid.

Gala
December 11th, 2003, 07:44 PM
gala: i'd just about die to get to one of those conventions. and then if kevin smith dint show up, i'd die all over again! how did you survive? ;)

(disclaimer: kevin smith is not pagan. :graduate: )

Well we survived. It was difficult but we did.

We saw, Ray Bradbury, Ray Haryhausen (sp), the guy who plays C3PO on Star Wars.
lots of authors, and old time sci fi tv people.
Oh and they guy from Twisted Sister, that made the movie "The Faculty"
But alas as far as I know none of these people are pagan...:(

mothwench
December 12th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Well, it's Norse. It might very well be a pagan symbol, but I think she's got the tattoo because it's her cultural heritage. Someone with an Irish background can get a tattoo of a Celtic knot without worshipping Brigid.

no, they can't! i forbid it! :boing: ok, i give up, soooper genius! yer right... meh.

Ben Trismegistus
December 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
no, they can't! i forbid it! :boing: ok, i give up, soooper genius! yer right... meh.
I win! I win!

mol
December 12th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Sucks dont it?

mothwench
December 13th, 2003, 07:35 AM
I win! I win!

:razz: i gotta admit tho... that post looks so cute with your avatar! :p

moondancer45
December 13th, 2003, 10:13 AM
I believe one of the first rock and roll entertainers to come out to say they were Pagans in public were: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant.

phantasia
April 23rd, 2004, 07:57 PM
I suppose I should say "Greetings" from a new member first. I've read through all the posting for this topic of Famous Pagans. And of course feel a comment coming on.

I'm not famous, but am not pagan. I'm agnostic. I'm interested in all things considered mystical and have an interest in divination. I write poetry and short stories concerning pagan related topcs; i.e. magic, etc.

My point is. Just because I'm interested/fascinated by these things, doesn'tmean that I'm either pagan or not. Lot of these postings had opinions of famous folks being pagan because of words to lyrics, tattoos, etc. I have a druid symbol on my left forearm. Again, doesn't mean I'm a druid. Keep these things in mind when assuming someone is of one belief or another.

Storm Moon
October 18th, 2004, 09:15 AM
I do wonder about a lot of celebrities, but Patrick Stewart, I had no idea.

arctic splash
October 24th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Both 'in box' and 'sent items' are empty.

Joe Pesci ?? It's suspected, but no-one is sure.

How is it suspected? This is very interesting! I love Joe Pesci, and I have his autograph... he signs everything (or used to) with the phrase, "God is Good." So, pagan, I don't know... spiritual? Probably.

arctic splash
October 24th, 2004, 08:58 PM
I believe MZ Bradley at one time claimed to be pagan, but before her death, she stated that she was not. I read a Guy Gavriel Kay interview in which he also stated he was not. Also, I don't know about Vigo Mortenson, but he is Danish, so any connection he may have with Norse dieties may be cultural and not religious.

Witchy_Momma
October 25th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I *Love* dar williams

Anyone who hasn't heard of her, she has a song called "the christians and the pagans" that is a must have :)

-Raina

I like that song!

Leslie

Cinnamon Girl
October 26th, 2004, 04:28 PM
My point is. Just because I'm interested/fascinated by these things, doesn'tmean that I'm either pagan or not. Lot of these postings had opinions of famous folks being pagan because of words to lyrics, tattoos, etc. I have a druid symbol on my left forearm. Again, doesn't mean I'm a druid. Keep these things in mind when assuming someone is of one belief or another.

Exactly! For instance, I believe both Loreena McKennitt (sp?) and Stevie Nicks have publicly stated that they are not pagan, yet their names always get brought up in these types of discussions.

arctic splash
October 26th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ceryni
I *Love* dar williams

Anyone who hasn't heard of her, she has a song called "the christians and the pagans" that is a must have

-Raina

Another huge fan of Dar here. :) I think my favourite songs are Calling the Moon and Ocean. Less spiritual, but also a great song, is Southern California Wants to Be Western New York. Of course, for me, that song also touches something spiritual.

arctic splash
October 26th, 2004, 05:55 PM

J.R.R. Tolkien was pagan. I'm pretty sure of it. ;-P

Great post. I know, listening to Loreena McKinnett, the lyrics are *very* pagan, but I wouldn't assume based on this that she wants to associate herself with paganism. I spent some time in Denmark, and some of the Norse dieties are really big there, even though the vast majority of people are Christian. Especially in the case of someone with Norse tattoos, or someone like Viggo, I would assume nothing but a connection to a cultural heritage. In Ireland you might hear someone talking of the sun god Lugh as though they were good friends with him... and people in Ireland are very connected to their mythological heritage. I bet a lot of people in Ireland have tattoos of pagan symbols... but even so... it's a very Christian country. As far as a lot of Irish are concerned, paganism is long dead -- but it's still such a huge part of their culture!

LadyFromTheMountain
October 27th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Stevie Nicks isn't Pagan.

"I'm not a witch. Get a life!" - Stevie

"I am religious. I wasn't raised in any religion, because we were always moving when I was a kid and didn't get involved in any church. But I believe there have been angels with me constantly through these last 20 years, or I wouldn't be alive. I pray a lot. In the last few years I've asked for things from God, and he's given them to me. And there were things I thought were gonna kill me, and he fixed them....I was destroying this gift that God gave me and asked for help. Now I'm happy, even outside my music, and enjoying my life."

There's another quote from a VH1 program where she says she wears black cause it makes her look skinny and not because she's a witch, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now.

Hah Momma Nicks is so cool!

Bandia
October 27th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Don't know if anybody's heard of them, but Blackmore's Night, I suspect, just may be.
Richie Blackmore (of Deep Purple) and his beautiful wife with the most awesome voice, Candace Night. They really are awesome, and both of Blackmore's bands separate from D.P. (Rainbow and Blackmore's Night) have very pagan, very folky sounds to them. My favorite, as a matter of fact.
Also, just another suspicion, either Robert Jordan (Author of The Wheel Of Time series) is the most dedicated researcher-would have had to be with 10 amazingly intricate books detailing and deriving his storyline from a mixture of Celtic cultures- or he is himself or very close to a pagan.
Not sure on either though, just speculation.
Confirmation anybody?

TheTempestuous1
October 27th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Whoops! That link no longer works!! Here's the new one:

Famous Pagans (http://groups.msn.com/0Tintagel0/famouspagans.msnw)

B*B

Rae )O(

doesnt work again.........

Kern
October 27th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Can I get any links to where it says these famous people are pagan?Especially Stevie Nicks and Joe Pesci And Tori Amos.

Avalon
October 27th, 2004, 02:14 PM
I thought Tolkien was a fairly devout Christian, like Lewis. Or am I confusing them because they were good friends?

And where in the world did Joe Pesci come from? :alol:

magick186
October 27th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Super model Rachel Hunter is

ealawyn
October 27th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I thought Tolkien was a fairly devout Christian, like Lewis. Or am I confusing them because they were good friends?

Yes, they were both considered devout Christians, according to Christian groups, anyway.

Sleet
October 27th, 2004, 04:11 PM
J.R.R. Tolkien was pagan

Tolkien was Catholic. (According to many, that doesn't contradict you ;) )

arctic splash
October 28th, 2004, 12:18 AM

And where in the world did Joe Pesci come from? :alol:

Tolkien was really a Catholic. I was trying to make a joke. (I was afraid someone was going to take me seriously!) :-P

Now Joe Pesci... was *that* a joke? Is there reference to this anywhere outside the MW community?

Avalon
October 29th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Tolkien was really a Catholic. I was trying to make a joke. (I was afraid someone was going to take me seriously!) :-P

Now Joe Pesci... was *that* a joke? Is there reference to this anywhere outside the MW community?
Sorry - consider me troutsmacked :fishsmack: :p

lightdragon
January 20th, 2005, 11:21 PM
interesting about Joe Pesci.

Morrighan61
January 21st, 2005, 05:01 AM
Theres a country comedy singer who is pagan.....Ack! I can't remember his name! He openly wears a big pentecle...even to award shows........spoofed the Deanna Carter song "Did I Shave My Legs For This".......Cletus T Judd......thats the guy! And for any of ya'll that read romance novels, Maggie Shayne is also pagan! She currently has several books in a series about witches. I wrote to her about a year ago and openly asked her if she was pagan and she was kind enough to reply and tell me she was glad that the pagan community was finding her books. She has a good website: www.maggieshayne.com

I wouldn't be surprised to find out Maggie Shaye is, but I'm thinking Nora Roberts probably is too...She's definitely still in the broom closet but a couple of her series now have dealt pretty openly with Witchcraft in a manner that suggests that the gal does have leanings that way and knows her stuff....She's either the most Goddess-centered non-Pagan writer out there or.....

I don't know.

I get a definitely "Witchy" vibe off of pics of her, and the one time I had contact with her, I was SO tempted to ask..I refrained out of respect for her privacy, but the greeting she used in return was pretty indicative of her being very accepting of Pagans.

If she's not one of us, she at the very least has a real affection for Pagan folk. She's the nicest lady though, and I don't use that term loosely. I deeply respect her. She's an awesome writer, and completely charming as a person....

Two other authors with definite pagan ties are Mercedes Lackey and Chelsea Quinn Yarbo. Lackey I think is pretty much "out." Pagan themes are all over her books and she's done some definitely Pagan music recordings. Yarbro? Rumor in Berkeley has it she very well may be....I'm told she lives near here and that she is part of a circle of fantasy-horroe authors who have been Pagan-oriented since the 70's....

I mean, I hate to speculate almost....I mean these folks do deserve their privacy....They have reasons for not publically declaring themselves, and I do try to respect that, but I also usually know another Witch when I meet one, ya dig?

Not to sound too CA and all, but there's a definite "vibe" thing.

Morrighan

PS: One important addition though he never came out as Pagan while he was alive is the late John Lennon. He and Yoko were very much into the scene, and in fact did attend a coven that had it's base in NYC. Both he and his wife were deeply into occult practices of all kinds, including Witchcraft and Tarot. Quite a few 60's rock stars had Pagan ties. Jim Morrison, one of the band members of Jethro Tull was married to a Witch...I strongly suspect the Moodly Blues may have been in and out of the scene at one point....Stevie Nicks, oh yeah.....

Kaija
January 23rd, 2005, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=Morrighan61
Two other authors with definite pagan ties are Mercedes Lackey and Chelsea Quinn Yarbo. Lackey I think is pretty much "out." Pagan themes are all over her books and she's done some definitely Pagan music recordings. Yarbro? Rumor in Berkeley has it she very well may be....I'm told she lives near here and that she is part of a circle of fantasy-horroe authors who have been Pagan-oriented since the 70's....

I mean, I hate to speculate almost....I mean these folks do deserve their privacy....They have reasons for not publically declaring themselves, and I do try to respect that, but I also usually know another Witch when I meet one, ya dig?

Not to sound too CA and all, but there's a definite "vibe" thing.

Morrighan
QUOTE]

Okay, I remember years ago that Misty's page (Lackey) said that she was not pagan.. (but she was very open minded also.. )

I'm trying to find a quote now, but this is the closest I've found so far:

"I suppose that in everything I write I try to expound the creed I gave my character Diana Tregarde in Burning Water: There's no such thing as `one, true way'; the only answers worth having are the ones you find for yourself; leave the world better than you found it. Love, freedom, and the chance to do some good -- they're the things worth living and dying for, and if you aren't willing to die for the things worth living for, you might as well turn in your membership in the human race."

The "pagan" music she has written/recorded has all been geared around her books.. (although I think she teamed up with CJ Cheryh for some of hers also) Hmm.. Okay, as I was just hit with the fact that I haven't listened to my Live tape of her in years it hit me that their were a couple of songs not related to her books.. One.. The Oklahoma Weed Wacker Masacre and.. one about Susanna Martin (one of the "witches" that was killed in Salem) and I think one more which was about one of her old bosses.. These are not actually pagan but Filk.. so sci fi/fantasy music ...

Okay, but to add to the rest of the thread.. there was a special on E! a few years back that I have tried to find again with no luck.. It was about this very topic (famous pagans). I only caught about 5 minutes of it.. so the only one I can say for sure was Fairuza Balk (is anyone surprised by this? ). The titles showed clips from lots of people, but the other one that stood out was that they showed Sandra Bullock.. I didn't see the segment though so I don't know if she actually was or not. ... I acutally remembered more of the actors until I hit reply.. then my mind went blank..

Kitfox
January 29th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Rachel Hunter, a New Zealand actress and model, seemed to have a very pagan like altar in her house on MTV's Cribs. I didn't get a long enough look to really pick up on everything she had laid out, but it looked pretty paganish to me!

Baye
February 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Loreena McKennitt has been quoted as saying she is not Pagan but. One interview When she was asked if she believed in God. She couldn't say she believed in the "biblical" god. She said I believe in the powers of nature.
She also said in a TV interview when her CD the Visit came out when speaking of Paganism after lending her music to "Goddess Rememberd documentary. "The Who Earth religion aspect of that religion, That is something that I connect very strongly with."
I think she feels it better serves her fans of ALL religion not to reviel any more :-)

Iris
February 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Joanne Harris, author of 'Chocolat' (later made into a film of the same name starring Johnny Depp) has many pagan characters in her books and lists her interests on her website as including "mooching, lounging, strutting, strumming, priest-baiting and quiet subversion of the system...obfuscation, sleaze, rebellion, witchcraft., armed robbery, tea and biscuits."

Not sure how serious that is, but I've always loved the portrayals of her pagan characters, and she's one of my favourite authors :)

lightdragon
February 16th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I saw an interview that Alicia Silverstone is Wicca/pagan