PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Dogs and tuff little breeds(moved from Green thread)

Phi
July 20th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I started a thread called HemlockMeadow, but Shanti and I got a bit :fofftopic there, so I double posted it to here...(Hope that's okay!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanti
You have a scotty?

What are scotties like? Are they barkey? Are they very hyper or can they be cuddle dogs? I am looking for a breed for the future as my Jack russel mixes are getting old. I dont want a barky, never settles down dog. I am looking for a breed that is playful but can kick it when you sit to watch a movie. And one that doesnt bark on a constant level. And one that loves to run in the woods and fields and doesnt mind the rain or mud!!! We love the outdoors. So a tough little dog.

I love the jack russel. Smart and playful and a good watch dog and very loyal. Loves to go to the woods. But I dont want to get another after my 2 sweeties pass cause that would be hard.
The scotty is a breed I havent looked into so anything you can tell me would be great.

Oh! Shanti! A Scottie doesn't bark very much, at least mine doesn't. Scotties have a deep gruff voice not a yippy one. The first time 'Gus barked as a tiny puppy I burst out laughing because his voice was so deep. He "talks" to me in a grumble. He would be a lap dog again in a minute, but at 30 lbs he's too big to do a lot of lap sitting anymore. He just curls up beside me and every now and then puts his head against my sternum and snorts a few times to say "I love you so much." He's a great dog. Likes to ramble and there's nothing tougher, but you'll have to train him a bit...they're so fearless they will go after anything in a hunt mode-squirrels, rabbits, anything...and won't listen to anything but their instincts when that sets in. They were bred as hunters, to go into the lairs of foxes after the hounds ran the foxes to ground, and to rout out weasels and other burrowing animals. Thus the fearlessness... Very fun, lovable, completely housebroken, and I know it sounds corny, but he actually has a great sense of humor too! He loves to play tricks on my hubby, and then gets this doggy grin...He's very friendly to people too, everybody around here knows his name better than mine LOL
Some cities have a special "Scottie rescue and adoption" where you can get one cheap if you prove "worthy" and have a fence in your yard; they might make exception for a country location. We bought ours from a breeder, but since then I have met several people who rescue scotties. I'll scan in a picture of him if you want...He's so cute, I'm illustrating a book about him for my grandson...I'd love to scan in some of my work on that too, but still trying to figure out how to do thumbnails. Maybe I can send some email to you and you can thumbnail them in for me?
Hmm...maybe I should move this to the pets forum?

~Macha~
July 20th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I love Scotties!!! I wish I had a fenced in yard... but alas! I live in an apartment. But they are fantastic dogs with such deep voices!!! Did you know that if they were ever stuck in a cave on in a burrow, they would just stay there and starve till they were skinny enough to get out? Read that in a Scottie book. Anyway- they are fab dogs! I definatly recommend them!

Phi
July 20th, 2004, 02:03 PM
I live in an apartment now too, and Gus misses his yard, but he seems quite happy to walk out on leash with me. He lets me know when he needs to go, and sometimes when he just wants to go, :lol: . Never has accidents even when I have to go out for the day. I hold the leash faithfully while he walks me, I'm his obedient pet that way!:)

Shanti
July 20th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Sorry I went off topic on your thread. I just got excited because scottys are one breed I forgot about and it took me by surprise. I hadnt found a breed yet that I know for sure I would like and the thought of scotty triggered interest. Sorry.

Isil Darkmoon
July 20th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I'm a big, big fan of Shelties, for a small, apartment-friendly, loyal, loving comapnion. Their only drawback is that they can be barkier than some breeds--not all the time, just some have seperation anxiety, and they'll bark at noises that "don't belong"--even if that's the mailman putting the mail through your slot same time every day. Other than that, I love the breed. They need at least a walk daily, or eveyr other day if you get really lax like I do somethimes, but they can also be up for LONG rambles all over the place. Great, friendly, smart dogs, they're great for families. Not that I'm biased or anything ;)

He's excited when I come home from work each day, and will run the puppy500 around my apartment severla times throughout the day, but most of the time I'm at my 'puter he just snoozes by my feet politely.

Phi
July 20th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Sorry I went off topic on your thread. I just got excited because scottys are one breed I forgot about and it took me by surprise. I hadnt found a breed yet that I know for sure I would like and the thought of scotty triggered interest. Sorry.Oh no, nothing to be sorry about!:nonono:
I just hadn't posted on the green thread much and didn't know if they might want it moved to here.
Gave me a chance to start up this one about dogs and especially about Scottie dogs.:hugz:
I looove talking about Gus!:chatty:
Do you think you might get a Scottie too?

Shanti
July 20th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Oh no, nothing to be sorry about!:nonono:
I just hadn't posted on the green thread much and didn't know if they might want it moved to here.
Gave me a chance to start up this one about dogs and especially about Scottie dogs.:hugz:
I looove talking about Gus!:chatty:
Do you think you might get a Scottie too?
Well the scotty seems to have the spunk, independance, stubborness, courage, playfulness, attentiveness, loyalty, and instincts I like.

So I put them on my big list of strong possibles which is all of the following:

Miniature Schnauzer (SP)
Dauchshund
and
the Scotty.

So far those are the breeds that interest me most!

I eliminated the following for sure:
Anything over the size of small.
and

Tibitian spaniel...bred to bark.

Yorkie, not good for long periods in the wilds.

Pug, dont like the bashed in nose. I dont want a snorer or a dog that cant run a lot in the woods. Otherwise the bashed in noses are cute!!!

Toy poodle. the toys seem to have a lot of health issues and I could step on it when we are out in the wilds!

Pomeranian seems delicate.

Pekinese seems delicate and has the nose thing.

And basically any real tiny dog that could get squished.

The breeds I didnt mention are not on the list of really like nor definately dont want. So they are the maybe's. Thats why I am still reading. Theres a lot of dog breeds.

Khuinaset
July 20th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I dunno if it's a possibility for wherever you're at(and they might be expensive), but have you thought about Shiba Inus? They're small dogs, I think about 1 1/2-2 1/2 feet high is the normal. In my experience(we have three, don't know if they're odd or not) they're more catlike than other dogs, and *very* intelligent. They don't bark in the normal sense- they have kind of a..shriek noise they do instead, but our dogs don't bark that much, unless there's someone new. They do make growling and snorting noises when they want to be petted or want attention, though. Our's are very very protective, but the two females we have are much friendlier than the male(the male seems to dislike random people, some of our relatives have come over and he's stood there and shrieked at them for ten minutes straight, it tends to put them off a little), the two females have never done that. They are just puppies though. They also seem to track mice in the house...I'm trying to think of anything else to add...they're odd dogs, they have a temperment different than any other breed of dog that I've known, I can't put my finger on why exactly though, other than the cat-like-ness. I can post a few pictures if you want. Hope I helped some and I hope whatever dog you find suits you well! :) :thumbsup:

Shanti
July 20th, 2004, 07:40 PM
I dunno if it's a possibility for wherever you're at(and they might be expensive), but have you thought about Shiba Inus? :) :thumbsup: That wouldnt be a dog that would be easy to obtain in my area nor in my price line!! Sounds interesting though!!

I was just reading about them and it said that they are not for households with lots of other small animals. I got chickens!!!!! And ducks And cats. It said they arent to be trusted with cats. A little to huntish of a breed!!!

Also I have read about them being cat like. They dont sound like a dog you want to trust off leash no matter how much its trained. They have a large tendancy to ignor commands. The articles I have read said its not a dog for everyone and it doesnt sound like what I would want.

I want a dog that can run free in the woods and fields and listens to my commands. My JR's are awsome. I say this way and point and no matter what they are doing they stop in there tracks to see where I want them to go. I think thats why I like varment dogs,( small game, ratters) they can be trained for the field.

aluokaloo
July 20th, 2004, 09:58 PM
If you want a dog with spunk, but less yap here's my suggestions

Cockapoos
Teacup and Toy Poodles (beware of the standards they are mean buggers, at least the ones in my experience)
minature schnauzers (did I spell that right?)
Beagles
Cocker Spaniels
Papillions
Charpeis
Lhaso Apsos
Shi tzus
Pekingnese
Austrailian Shepards
Scottish Terriers I know very little about, but maybe you can check on the net, and getsome information on the breed if your interested in scotties, and any other type of breed you might be interested in and remember too, that just because the breed is yappy, doesn't mean it has to be barking all the time. You know karma could decide to show you who's boss and make you fall in love with some of the yappiest of breeds.

aluokaloo
July 20th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Ph you want a dog bred to take long runs in the woods. Well, any kind of shephard, terrier or hound, spaniel orsetter will do. And don't forget mixed breeds.

Khuinaset
July 20th, 2004, 10:43 PM
I was just reading about them and it said that they are not for households with lots of other small animals. I got chickens!!!!! And ducks And cats. It said they arent to be trusted with cats. A little to huntish of a breed!!!

Also I have read about them being cat like. They dont sound like a dog you want to trust off leash no matter how much its trained. They have a large tendancy to ignor commands. The articles I have read said its not a dog for everyone and it doesnt sound like what I would want.

I want a dog that can run free in the woods and fields and listens to my commands. My JR's are awsome. I say this way and point and no matter what they are doing they stop in there tracks to see where I want them to go. I think thats why I like varment dogs,( small game, ratters) they can be trained for the field.

Oh...well, yeah, they are pretty hunt-ish. All of our's come on command though, and very very rarely ignore our commands- but we only have three and I've never been in contact with any others, really, so I don't know. Sorry for my suggestion being off then :)

Shanti
July 20th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Oh...well, yeah, they are pretty hunt-ish. All of our's come on command though, and very very rarely ignore our commands- but we only have three and I've never been in contact with any others, really, so I don't know. Sorry for my suggestion being off then :)
Not off. I learned a lot since I knew nothing of the breed. Heck their nick name is LittleWolf!!!!

I learned from your suggestion. Thats a good thing!!! :)

Black RiverWolf
July 21st, 2004, 07:41 PM
why not a pitt we have one and she is loyal easy to train and turns into a couch potato. we have had nothing but good thing with her. and she loves to go for walks. listens very well and if raised from a pup will be very prtective of the little ones. we also have chickens and i worry more about my labs then i do her or my rottie mixes not to mention the beast of dog we have

Shanti
July 21st, 2004, 08:13 PM
why not a pitt we have one and she is loyal easy to train and turns into a couch potato. we have had nothing but good thing with her. and she loves to go for walks. listens very well and if raised from a pup will be very prtective of the little ones. we also have chickens and i worry more about my labs then i do her or my rottie mixes not to mention the beast of dog we have We have 2 (sister and brother, fixed) jack russel mixes that are elderly and...
We have a pitt too!!!!!!

But she has medical probs and we dont know how long we will have her.
With all we have and still are going through, I dont want another pittt. I would just worrie all the time. and I think our pitt, Shanti, (thats where I got my MW name from) is one of a kind.

Phi
July 21st, 2004, 09:21 PM
We have 2 (sister and brother, fixed) jack russel mixes that are elderly and...
We have a pitt too!!!!!!

But she has medical probs and we dont know how long we will have her.
With all we have and still are going through, I dont want another pittt. I would just worrie all the time. and I think our pitt, Shanti, (thats where I got my MW name from) is one of a kind.I understand how you feel, I think. When my Sheena wolf dog (mixed Chow/red wolf) passed, I couldn't imagine trying another that looked similar because she was irreplaceable, absolutely. That's why I decided on a completely diffferent breed later on. I had her for 15 years.

Here's a link to Scottie rescue: http://clubs.akc.org/stca/rescue.htm
the picture is exactly like Gus! It says they're diggers, but Gus never did that. But he did bite a hole in the tire of my wheelbarrow when I was pushing it one day. He likes tires! He is very friendly; one day a stray cat got into our yard and he was barking up a storm. Then he went and found a stick and put it down in front of her and took the butt-in-the-air "let's play" stance wagging his tail and barking some more. He's a fun doggy.
Another link:http://clubs.akc.org/stca/ I just love the scottie at the computer!:crylaugh: